You don't appreciate basic principles of game design...

NamoPh

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 7:41 PM, DonGurke93 said:

Game might be piss easy, the easiest one for me but dude's criticism is sound. Those things are annoying and are noticable on hard once you crank up the difficulty to Very Hard things get even uglier. To be fair it's always the same when you set the difficulty higher in most games. The uglier things in gameplay become more obvious.

Yeah, it sounded way harsher than I was intending. I basically meant that it's a short and easy game - Just finish it and just play something that is more fun. His criticism is entirely justified.

On 5/8/2018 at 0:25 AM, Stardew Shelly said:

It sounds a lot like you're salty about having troubles beating a piss easy game.

You critisism may be worthwhile, but the game is so fucking easy to begin with, that I wouldn't even have bothered stating the obvious.

The difficulty is entirely subjective. Proven by how I find the N. Sane remake of Crash Bandicoot a walk in the park (mostly), yet most claim it's tough as nails. It's like when critics claim they're "objectively evaluating" a film, it's just utter nonsense. 

• Like 3

Honestly yeah, I've noticed this ALOT. Not just in this one, but in the GoW series as a whole, I think the worst offender being Ascension. Specifically your points about your hit box staying grounded, the ability for enemies to stun lock, and dodge mechanics one can't really rely on in a pinch.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 0:49 PM, Stardew Shelly said:

Yeah, it sounded way harsher than I was intending. I basically meant that it's a short and easy game - Just finish it and just play something that is more fun. His criticism is entirely justified.

I had actually already finished the game before that first post and needed to vent before moving on. I never have issues with hard games, but I felt that such glaring design flaws, especially from an established franchise, are rare enough to warrant that. Because of them I found the last mob encounter to be the most infuriating in the entire series (minus Ascension that I have yet to play).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I agree with every point. This flaws can be overlooked on lower difficulties but once you turn it up they become very evident, especially on that fight against the Wraiths and the armored Cyclops. It was infuriating but if someone is having trouble on this bit, here's what worked for me:

- Ignore the Wraiths as much as you can and hammer the Cyclops with Cyclone of Chaos while jumping (L1 + Square in midair) and using the fireblades. If all your attacks land he will lose a piece of his armor and get stunned, not being able to hit you while you regain control. The Wraiths still can, unfortunately...

- After removing his armor continue using the same move but now you have to dodge and attack right after him, otherwise he will f*** you up since he doesn't get stunned anymore. Once the Circle appears above him, do the QTE and finish him off.

- Repeat it for the second Cyclops.

- After killing both of them, switch to Arms of Sparta to deal with the Wraiths. What you want to do is spam Spear Assault (R1 + Square) on them while in midair. You will stay a considerable amount of time throwing spears in the air so the Wraiths will miss most of the attacks.

- You still need to look out for the grab they do. If you are throwing the spears and are nealry on the ground they can still grab you in the air. 

Hope this helps someone, i tried loads of things and the only one that worked well for me was doing the above strategy.

Edited by evs_castro
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

It's like people forget this game was originally made for the PSP btw alot of complaints you made about the game Kratos can pretty unfairly do to enemies with his attacks. So ?1f3fb.png‍♂️

He cannot do it to all of his enemies, I think only Medusa and the Skeletal/Armor Warriors he can continually pop up.

I agree with the OP.  Easily the most annoying of the series.  Chains was annoying but the end boss I found easy on hard mode, this game has some ridiculous non-boss encounters its put you in, and frankly after fighting those the boss monsters of the game are a serious joke in comparison.  It's like the encounters in this game were intentionally made to piss you off.  I can count in my head at least 8 times, where you have to fight multiple groups of enemy types at the same time, and while it's true the enemy...can possibly hit each other, that is a small silver lining when you see many times the ranged units very far away, you can't target them with the spear because you have melee enemies to deal with.  Or just hard groupings, how about Cyclops and 5 skeleton warriors, or Armored Cyclops with 4 wraiths and no heal/magic chest in the battle.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:12 PM, evs_castro said:

I agree with every point. This flaws can be overlooked on lower difficulties but once you turn it up they become very evident, especially on that fight against the Wraiths and the armored Cyclops. It was infuriating but if someone is having trouble on this bit, here's what worked for me:

- Ignore the Wraiths as much as you can and hammer the Cyclops with Cyclone of Chaos while jumping (L1 + Square in midair) and using the fireblades. If all your attacks land he will lose a piece of his armor and get stunned, not being able to hit you while you regain control. The Wraiths still can, unfortunately...

- After removing his armor continue using the same move but now you have to dodge and attack right after him, otherwise he will f*** you up since he doesn't get stunned anymore. Once the Circle appears above him, do the QTE and finish him off.

- Repeat it for the second Cyclops.

- After killing both of them, switch to Arms of Sparta to deal with the Wraiths. What you want to do is spam Spear Assault (R1 + Square) on them while in midair. You will stay a considerable amount of time throwing spears in the air so the Wraiths will miss most of the attacks.

- You still need to look out for the grab they do. If you are throwing the spears and are nealry on the ground they can still grab you in the air. 

Hope this helps someone, i tried loads of things and the only one that worked well for me was doing the above strategy.

It's not surprising to see help on this fight in this thread, easily the biggest crock of shit in the game.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 10:25 AM, Paleblood said:

It sounds a lot like you're salty about having troubles beating a piss easy game.

You critisism may be worthwhile, but the game is so fucking easy to begin with, that I wouldn't even have bothered stating the obvious.

Bullshit. I've played 'piss easy' games and GoW on hard difficulty is not 'piss easy' by any sense of the phrase. 

Easier than some games on hard difficulty but that doesn't make it a walk in the park either. There are a few fights in this game that can be infuriating mainly due to the flaws it has forcing the player to compensate and work around those flaws in order not to get cheaply killed in which you will get cheaply killed in Ghost of Sparta, A LOT more compared to other GoW games including Chains of Olympus, the other poorly ported Vita GoW game. At least in Chains, the fights weren't nearly as difficult. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I know I'm late, but you just basically described all of my biggest complaints with this game (and all of the Greek Era God of War games). To all the people saying that this game was piss easy, try playing on hard or very hard and I guarantee you will change your stance. All of the these issues become very prominent when you play on higher difficulties than normal to get trophies.

Out of all the Greek Era games, God of War 3 is my favorite mainly because it is the one that these issues are the least prominent. 

I don't think I'm gonna even bother with the platinums for GoW 1 and 2. The challenges in those 2 (especially the first one) are ridiculous.

Edited by CxCAR-25
  • Like 1

I know I'm also late too, but may I say. Fine words my friend, and great writing. I did a big lol

Yeah I remember this game being annoying and I also too found it pretty tricky, considering it is meant to easy.

Still, I know people just jump in head first saying LOL The game is easy.

I am sure said people are playing on easy and using a guide and doing a strategy that the guide says.

Under those circumstances yeah this game is easy, I do think the original God Of War games while having a legend of being "Easy games" playing them blind, not knowing where the collectibles are, not knowing tactics for certain enemies. What Namo says it legit, these 2 PSP games and their weird tiny room battles, were not as easy as the mainline GOW1 and GOW2 games, that's for sure.

Edited by enaysoft