Anime: Sub or Dub?

Dreakon139

Japanime  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Sub or Dub?

• Sub
    • Dub

I prefer dubs but I do have to say in alot of cases there's more than just 1 English dub version to animes for example card captor Sakura I've watched in Japanese it was ok found the dialog confusing at times but I think Japanese talk slightly different anyway I also watched a dub which I found very good all the voices seemed to match the characters it was very well done but I had to watch this dub online because it was never put on dvd in America but it was full series uncut when they finally released it on dvd I bought it and turned it on only to find that the dvds are an alternate voice cast which sounded like nailed on a chalk board horrible I don't know why they felt a need to redubb an already dubbed anime but apparently this is common so perhaps those who are complaining how bad dubs are have only tried badly dubbed versions

You can't watch dub, you just can't. Every language is very different and with reason, I speak 3.5 languages and whether it's a movie or anime, whatever the original language is, nothing dubbed will ever be half as good.

Languages all have different ways of expression, tone of voices, and simply words that just don't make sense when dubbing.

Just look at Chinese dubbed movies. Watch a comedy from English to French, not only do the jokes made no sense at all, but many things can't even be translated from English to French.

The best example for that language is you can't say " I like you". So if your watching a love triangle type of anime dubbed in French for example. The character saying  " I .. I kinda like him >< " With a blushing face.

In French "like" and " I care for you" Can't even be translated and there are no words other then " I love you" that could describe it. Or they would say " Je l"aime un peu" Which means "I love him a bit" The word love just doesn't belong there but it's the only word they can use.

If I tell someone : " Well I care for him alot " It cannot be translated. It will be translated as. " I love him alot" Which clearly does not mean the same thing whatsoever. If you translate word for word it gives you " Je prends soin de lui" Which means "I take care for him".

This is one of hundreds of examples I can give for many languages.

So if we take the above example as reference. Anything Romantic English to French dubbed, will never be good because the words, phrasing, facial expressions, tone of voice would have to all be different.

And Japanese to english dubs are equally bad if not worse in many cases

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

If a dub is available first I will watch a couple of episodes dubbed, compare it with the Japanese, and then figure it out from there. One Piece, Trigun, Code Geass, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Space Dandy, YuYu Hakusho, FLCL, Baccano!, Dragon Ball, Gurren Lagann, and Jormungand all have superior dubs. I'm serious. When Funimation and Ameplex want to, they can put out stellar dubs. However, I believe Kill la Kill, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Toradora, Eureka Seven, Attack On Titan, All of the Ghibli films, Fairy Tail,  Death Parade, Parasyte: The Maxim, Tokyo Ghoul, Magi, &  Evangelion all have spectacular subs which have yet to be outdone by the english dub. One thing though I can't fucking stand is the dub haters screaming, "You're butchering the source material!", like the English language is some sort of Satin spawn (even if it's the language they speak) and the Japanese language is some Magna fucking Carta of language! (that they can't even speak!) So everyone get this through your heads; no language is perfect. Sometimes the English dub is better, and then sometimes the Japanese sub is better. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. No, your not a joke if you watch it dubbed and no, your not going to travel to Japan and become a fucking mangaka if you watch sub. Hold them equal in both regards. Don't hate each other, as this isn't the Hatfields and the fucking Mccoys. This is anime. Everyone has opinions. Rather than blindly declare "Ours is best!", think about it at first. Be together. It's as simple as that. 

It's whatever comes first. For example, I watched Fairy Tail first in sub and I prefer it over dub, Funimation's dub is awful on this one. However, when I watched Death Note, I prefer the dub over the sub.

Persona 4 is also a great dub which I prefer over sub. Sword Art Online nails it both the sub and the dub.

To me it just depends on which captures the characters better... If that makes sense.

Assuming its not edited, I'd say evaluate on a case by case basis some dubs are great some subs are great.

Although I hate when overzealous fansubbers make characters randomly start swearing to make them sound cooler.

Edited by Superbuu3

I totally depends on what I'm doing. If I'm watching while doing something else I prefer dubbed, but if my full attention is on the anime I prefer subbed. Overall I like subbed better, just because it's in the original language and therefore sounds more natural. Not to say that there aren't any talented english voice actors, but I just prefer it that way. 

Sub is the best. Unless it's Dragon Ball!

Correction. Sub is the best. Period.

Dragon Ball has superb voice acting. The only problem with it is most people started watching it dubbed and when checking out the subbed version, Goku's voice was not at all what they were expecting, so they just switch back to the dub.

• Like 1

It depends, I wear glasses and sometimes I just want to take them off & watch the show without having to worry about reading text, so I go dub. I can understand the language but certain actors are kind of "mush mouths" (Susumu Terajima). I prefer subs when there's a joke that won't translate well in english like the numerous iterations of Matthew Perry and all that that brings. Also certain scenes are funnier in japanese like the last episode of Death Note, "delete" just doesn't sound as good as "sakujo".

Ultimately I prefer having dual audio. I just hate how most people assume dubs are automatically horrible. 

Sub for 99% of cases. A majority of the time the dub butchers the characters (Armin in Attack on Titan for example) and oftentimes change certain things about the dialogue to the point it just seems... off.

The only exception is Dragon Ball Z, simply because original Japanese Goku is impossible to listen to.

Sub for 99% of cases. A majority of the time the dub butchers the characters (Armin in Attack on Titan for example) and oftentimes change certain things about the dialogue to the point it just seems... off.

The only exception is Dragon Ball Z, simply because original Japanese Goku is impossible to listen to.

YAY another luffy O_O

Subs for me, since I've watched a ton of Dubs and I have to admit...The English Voice Actors do not take their jobs seriously. Everytime I watch a Dub it's like they aren't even trying. Probably because they get paid pennies compared to A-List Japanese Voice Actors. Like for American Cartoons such as Batman, Jokers voice actor is amazing. If all nowadays anime dubbers would just take their job seriously, then I would switch to dubs. Until then Subs will always be on top.

I don't really watch anime anymore...although I still try a series out here and there. (most recently Sword Art Online about a month ago)

When I did watch though I was a dub person. I have watched subbed before and did so when I had to. But overall I prefer dub. It's not from a standpoint of not even trying out both or even not wanting to read subtitles because I use subtitles in everything mainly because sometimes they'll catch things in the background I never hear.

I watched Rurouni Kenshin, FMA, and DBZ in dub and sub. I just like dub better. Although it was only a specific dub of DBZ I liked. One of them sounded REALLY bad.

Correction. Sub is the best. Period.

Dragon Ball has superb voice acting. The only problem with it is most people started watching it dubbed and when checking out the subbed version, Goku's voice was not at all what they were expecting, so they just switch back to the dub.

I know the Japanese voice acting for Dragon Ball is great! I have enjoyed the Japanese voice acting in the games. But for some reason when I've watched the anime I always want THE english dub, afterall what would the world be without IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Edited by LovesAnInjection

You can't watch dub, you just can't. Every language is very different and with reason, I speak 3.5 languages and whether it's a movie or anime, whatever the original language is, nothing dubbed will ever be half as good.

Languages all have different ways of expression, tone of voices, and simply words that just don't make sense when dubbing.

Just look at Chinese dubbed movies. Watch a comedy from English to French, not only do the jokes made no sense at all, but many things can't even be translated from English to French.

The best example for that language is you can't say " I like you". So if your watching a love triangle type of anime dubbed in French for example. The character saying  " I .. I kinda like him >< " With a blushing face.

In French "like" and " I care for you" Can't even be translated and there are no words other then " I love you" that could describe it. Or they would say " Je l"aime un peu" Which means "I love him a bit" The word love just doesn't belong there but it's the only word they can use.

If I tell someone : " Well I care for him alot " It cannot be translated. It will be translated as. " I love him alot" Which clearly does not mean the same thing whatsoever. If you translate word for word it gives you " Je prends soin de lui" Which means "I take care for him".

This is one of hundreds of examples I can give for many languages.

So if we take the above example as reference. Anything Romantic English to French dubbed, will never be good because the words, phrasing, facial expressions, tone of voice would have to all be different.

And Japanese to english dubs are equally bad if not worse in many cases

hmm from what im gatherng from this we might as well not watch anything remotely forign because we wont have the culture or the linguistic knowledge to understand whats going on anyway tleast with a dub it puts it into words we might understand better to our native area but if i was to watch something forign and sub titled id constantly be thinking wht why who why huh?? ive watched subbed its  mess and i actually do understnd lot of whats said its still a mess

Subs offer a more authentic experience if they are written or translated well.  That applies to all non-english video (because that is my native language), not just anime.

Ultimately what ever allows you to enjoy the show more is the right answer!

Edited by audiopile