Anime: Sub or Dub?

Dreakon139

Japanime  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Sub or Dub?

• Sub
    • Dub

Sub by far, it just sounds ridiculous and out of tone in English/Dutch dub.

Only exception is Pokémon xD It's perfectly edited and I like it most in Dutch to be honest :)

Edited by DarKNesS_X

Trying to word it as best as possible but I seem to be having a hard time. I like it subbed because of the amount of emotion that is shown from a character whenever s/he goes trough a traumatic experience. One example of this is Clannad. If I were to watch it again dubbed, then it won't have a stronger impact on me then it normally would when I watch it subbed (although I still do cry a lot everytime I watch Both Clannad and Clannad After Story).

Also, I prefer subbed over dubbed because it sounds so much better when the characters know how to pronounce the names in Japanese.

• Like 1

Sub, on Anime is not that annoying since you can find dub links everywhere but on J-RPG's is a whole different story, its very disappointing to buy a Japanese game and find out that the voices are English only, it makes me appreciate even more the fact that I can watch any Anime that I like on sub.

I like to watch the subbed, altough i watch pokemon, yu-gi-oh and stuff i watched as a kid dubbed since i grew up with the dubbed version.

But sometimes after im done with a certain anime i like to watch the dubbed version after it, only if i really liked the anime like SAO.

100% sub here. Nearly all productions (not just anime) are at their best with the original VA. Any director and actor tends to put in a lot more effort into original productions.

Some subbies tend to make an exception for shows they watched dubbed on their childhood. Not my case. I always seek out the original - you always get more out of your show. Never been disappointed.

Subbed shows also have the advantage of helping you learn a different language. When I finally did start taking Japanese lessons, I was miles ahead of any of my classmates.

Though some dubs are pretty good, especially with regards to movies, I'll grant you that. Some dubs even surpass the original - as I find is the case with the Portuguese dub of Madagascar.

Dub, but in spanish for latin america, way better than those in english.

DBZ and many other english dubs change the background music so the voices are more clearer, but the only thing they do is messed up with the much superior original music, to end up with that awful effect of only hearing the voices and no other sounds.  :angry:

Edited by le7Samurai

I like both so I didn't vote. I like dub because it is nice sometimes to just understand rather than read, like if I'm tired or just because. I like sub because its normally unedited and I find the voice actors tend to put more effort and believability into the characters voices(not always but usually). Some anime like Cowboy Bebop for example has top quality dubbed voice acting, in my opinion at least.

Hmmm, some shows I prefer the English dub and some I prefer the Japanese sub. The first anime I ever watched was Inuyasha and in my opinion the English voice cast done a superb job, years later I did watch the Japanese sub but I still prefer the English Voice cast. It wasn't until I started watching Naruto that I was introduced to terrible English voice acting ... I'm not gonna ramble lol... list below

Favourite English dubbed animes:

Inuyasha

Full Metal Alchemist & Bortherhood

Dragonball Z

Persona 4 The Animation

Favourite Japanese dubbed animes:

Every other anime

For me it's not a simple sub or dub question. When I see an anime which is based on a game(for example Persona 4 Animation) I prefer to listen to what I'm used to. If I played the game in English, so I will watch the anime dubbed. If I played the game in Japanese(or at least Japanese voices) I want to watch the anime subbed.

For every other anime I have different "rules". When I want to watch anime without anything else, I will watch it subbed. But when I'm doing something else like grinding in some game, I watch it dubbed.

I have to say something else about that: Since I'm from Germany "dubbed" means two things for me: English voices or German voices. If I can I always take English voices since it sounds more natural to me, because I do anything in English besides speaking or writing.

But sometimes I can't really choose, because I buy most of my stuff here in Germany and some anime don't have English voices here.

I'm Italian, and dubbers are really good here. Anyway, our publishers tend to go over the top with censorship and "literary freedom". In the end, I watch subbed version to get the real spirit of the opera, then watch dubbed version because our voices are really awesome.

That goes for anime only, I can't stand subtitles on TV shows. Luckily I can understand English very well if it is not in a strong accent :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer subs over dubs if I'm actually interested in the anime. If I'm flipping through the channels and a dubbed anime is on, I'll watch it as long as I have nothing better to do. I'll also start a series with the sub and if I want to rewatch the anime, I'll give the dub a 2 episode trial period before deciding whether or not to change back to the sub.