Anime: Sub or Dub?

Dreakon139

Japanime  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Sub or Dub?

• Sub
    • Dub

Regarding voices, you would know that it's not about what is said, but how it is said, which in itself is universally understood and depends very little on actually understanding the language. As an example, there are studies that show babies perceive emotion in voices as early as 3 months old. I'm inclined to think that you're grossly underestimating the capabilities of human perception.

This may sound childish of me, but this just sounds like someone that truly wants to believe they "get" the Japanese language without actually learning it. Actors on both sides have plenty of emotion, to say one is better... especially the language you don't know... just reeks of bias to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't decide since it's usually a mixture when I (rarely) watch anime, I prefer subs if I get the choice but I can sit through dubs unless they are flat out ludicrous, (looking@you Trigun.) Sometimes the Narm of the dubbing is the best aprt of the series imo.

ie:

I suppose I'm used to subs since i always have them on during games since I cannot hear what the flip some characters are saying sometimes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Two years late, but oh well.

Though I voted on dubs, I do watch both. I'll watch it in English unless there is no dub available. And after taking Japanese classes for 2 1/2 years now, I do believe that a lot more dubs are better than the original than I used to think.

Also, if I start on a dub, I can't seem to to the Japanese VAs for a clear reason and I think I found that out through playing Neptunia: you just get used to the English voices. Now I played the first game then watched the anime, and I was fine with both voices, but in the end when I played mk2, I chose the English VAs over the Japanese simply because I was used to them (up to the point that I liked them better than the orginal voices).

While I don't mind people preferring the original voices for logical reasons, I do completely despise those who hate the dubs for reasons I believe some certain someone above said.

Thread resurrection? That's my deal! :D

Considering I haven't really watched any anime for a few years, I know I'm not exactly in a good position to make a case for either side, but I usually prefer subbed. Unless the dubbed version got significantly better in terms of voice acting in the last few years, I'm still in the corner for subbed.

I watch both but I prefer sub a lot more than dub. Sub feels natural, where as dubs tend to have syncing issues. I tried to watch Naruto dubbed and it was horrendous. I know there are people who prefer dubs over subs because they find the Japanese VAs annoying but it can be said for dubs as well. Naruto sounded like a girl.

You know that in both the sub and dub Naruto is voiced by female actors.

I voted subs The only bad thing about them is that I'm often drawn away from the animation because of reading. Dubs have many good points but I hated the long waiting period for anime to be dubbed and released.

Edited by monkeydluffy512

Preferably subbed whenever possible. Not just anime, but any kind of movie, series, etc... Since I won't be understanding what they're saying when it's anime, I won't know if it's subbed or dubbed correctly, which makes either a valid option.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

Dubs, absolutely. I want to watch anime, not read the subtitles. I will note here, that I still like it when the original japanese voiceover is there and heard well, with dubs just overlayed on it. When you don't hear the Japanese language in anime, you often miss some very crucial part of it.

Edited by LuckySwitch

I would have liked an "It depends" option.  Because sometimes dubbed anime isn't bad.  But there is a lot of anime I watch that is subbed so I never bother to look at the dubs as the subbed was done long ago.  For an example, I watched Death Note with subs, but found the dubs to be terrible, didn't seem right at all.. plus I had watched the anime and was finish with it a year before the dubbed version even started to air here.

• Like 1

I watch anime for the story. Period. I prefer dubbed because I believe reading subtitles takes away some of the story for me. Regardless, I watch both, and in the end, I enjoy both. I think the whole dubbed vs subbed always gets blown out of proportion. One isn't any better than the other. It's all a matter of preference, and I think it's BS when someone tries to convince you otherwise.