Anime: Sub or Dub?

Dreakon139

Japanime  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Sub or Dub?

• Sub
    • Dub

I'm with Taka on this one. While I voted sub because it's primarily what I end up choosing, this isn't always the case. Many dubs aren't so bad and others are atrocioius. If the English VA's are good enough, I don't mind watching it in English on occasion. The only problem is if you want to keep up to date on something, you're pretty much forced to go with subs.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch anime anymore but I used to preffer sub. Specially when it's a fansub, there are groups that do extensive researchs of the terms used in the game and try to adapt them in the best way possible. When you watch an "official" sub or dub you end up missing at least half of the true meanings of the terms. I never liked that.

I side more to subs because I'm getting 100% original product plus addition text when I watch the anime.  When I watched dub anime, I don't get the full version of the product because audio, quality, censorship, scenes, names and dialog go through import changes to make it 'Americanized' to satisfy the customer base.  The companies dubbing anime should have an advantage to make it better than the original, but somehow makes too many unnecessary changes which results below what the original had. Sure there are some good dub anime such as Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex makes a worthy representation to make it successful in the U.S.  However, the bad dubs such as Cardcaptors, One Piece (4Kids Entertainment version), Naruto (and Shippuden), and Neon Genesis Evangelion keeps its popularity down.  I could understand some people think dub is better because they know the language, so it is easier to understand the story, meanings, and symbolism.  That's fine until there is a particular dialog or phrase that doesn't translate to English, then you have a problem there.  

• Like 1

I almost always perfer a Dub to Sub - especially in Japanese games or animes. You ever heard Goku's shrill childlike voice in the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z? ...ack! (*Cringing). If a dub is atleast simply 'sufficent', (meaning, it conveys the characters personality without taking away from the character, events, experience or breaking the emmersion) then I usually perfer it to subtitles. However, when a game or anime replaces the forgein voices with terrible, equally shrill, high pitches dubbed voices - or cardboard voice actors who read there lines with robotic monotone pacing - then I personally think it becomes a equal choice of Sub or Dub (I usually perfer the Dub still, myself), as both are terrible situations.

On a scale of 1-to-10, as long as a dubbing is atleast a 3/10 I'm fine with the dub. It makes the experience more seemless since I'm not trying to read stuff while the action is happening. However, with RPG's I'm a BIG fan of subtitles if the dubbing is less than a 5/10 - mainly because I grew up when RPG's (and games) didn't yet have voicing, and because most my favorite RPG's (FF9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears) are purely text. The voices for RPG characters aren't usually as good as the one's you imagine in your head.

You must really enjoy this then.  Greatest trailer of all time lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNRnL4fjFXU

• Like 1

As others have said - it honestly depends on what I'm watching.

Full Metal Alchemist has an excellent dub as does Code Geass, Death Note, and so do a handful of other anime, however there are series that just don't have that good of a dub.

Also depends if I've watched it in Japanese first - I prefered the Magi sub, however the dub is quite good in its own right (just doesn't sound that good to me as I watched it in japanese first).

Raw or dub it really depends on the series as some like Black Lagoon I feel are better in English while others like Clannad are better in Japanese but it really is a matter of preference but what some people have to learn is that some subtitles aren't a translation but more a localisation losing any original references or meanings it may have had and trading them over for something more Western which honestly doesn't always work out well.

• 1 year later...

It really depends on the anime, I try watching both before I make up my decision on one.

For example: I've watched Dragon ball and DBZ in three languages (Arabic, English, and Japanese), but prefer the English the most. 

I watched Captain Tsubasa in Arabic and Japanese, but prefer the Arabic more.

For some shows like Death Note, Grendizer, and Digimon, I prefer both.

Edited by Waffle Pillow

Although I did vote Dub, I think it purely depends on the series, Black Lagoon along with Tiger & Bunny are 2 that I think are better dubbed. As for ones where I think the original Japanese audio is better, both series of Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl instantly comes to mind, this is an abomination of a dub, for those here who have played the NCIS game, the dub is about that bad.

There are also some I have seen that haven't been dubbed where I don't think a dub would work, such as Gintama, a lot of the humour boils down to wordplay, or just jokes that would make no sense in English.