Vote to kick?

Curb

While your idea is with good intentions giving others people the ability to kick ban or whatever never works they could abuse such feature if they don't like that person i know it from experience it is best to have the mods take care of the trolls as they won't abuse their power if the CB is filled with trolls the best thing to do is leave the CB and inform Sly the person who was  violating the rules he will review the recent activity and will take action on the person violating the rules anywho that my opinion 

• Like 3

While your idea is with good intentions giving others people the ability to kick ban or whatever never works they could abuse such feature if they don't like that person i know it from experience it is best to have the mods take care of the trolls as they won't abuse their power if the CB is filled with trolls the best thing to do is leave the CB and inform Sly the person who was  violating the rules he will review the recent activity and will take action on the person violating the rules anywho that my opinion 

While it's true that they can go in after the fact and take action, it tends to kill the CB during the meantime. Like now, for instance - Sly's been asleep for a while and won't get back online for several hours yet. Same goes for AF and eburk, but until then we're stuck with a guy that's been causing problems for a while. To be honest he's been making trouble regularly for the past few days - it's been nothing super major so I understand why action wasn't already taken, but it gets old quickly and we've got no recourse for a while.

Edited by Curb

You could, you know, just leave the chat if it gets to a point where you're upset over this.  I've been down this road before, it never works.

A valid point, but with several of us in there enjoying each other's company it makes more sense for the single asshole to get axed. That or the ability to form our own groupchats; maybe as a Pemium-only feature?

A valid point, but with several of us in there enjoying each other's company it makes more sense for the single asshole to get axed. That or the ability to form our own groupchats; maybe as a Pemium-only feature?

I don't use the chat, but I think it would make since to be able to do the group/private chat and be able to kick out of the group chat instead of the full chat itself.

I really like this idea, but if you are talking to a particular group of people you could just invite them to a separate chat and leave the person of annoyance in the dust. :)

I realize this may sound a bit controversial, but what would the feasibility be of adding a member-controlled kick feature to the Chatbox? It happens occasionally that none of the mods are online, and some troll enters the CB and really just makes a mess of things. Most of us are all for a good joke, but when someone gets genuinely obnoxious then it can kill the fun.

I was thinking we might add a vote that could be called up by the members of the CB to autokick someone for a short amount of time. It could only be used when there aren't any mods online, and would require a nearly unanimous vote. To further prevent abuse, you could make it only a fifteen or twenty minute ban. That's short enough that if someone gets kicked as a joke, they can come back pretty quickly, but also long enough that hopefully a genuine troll or jerk will get bored and move on to another site.

Additionally mods and/or Sly could view who's been voted out the next time they come back online, and if they see someone that's been kicked consistently over a period of time, they might consider taking further action.

Thoughts? I know there might be some concerns about abuses, but I think this would help more than it would hurt.

EDIT: An alternative idea is that members might be able to form their own private group chats, similar to the one-on-ones but with multiple members. They could be quasi-permanent, showing up whenever two or more of the participants are online at once. It could be comparable to a Skype or AIM discussion, and since each chat's members could be moderated by the host there'd be no need to add a /votekick feature to the main chat. Since this is a pretty big feature, it could possibly be Premium-only? Any member could participate, but only Premiums could host.

+1 for /votekick

Requires a majority of votes based on the number of users in CB active within the past 10 min.

I dont like the idea of removing someone just because a majority wants to. It's unfortunate your chatting experience is ruined by him, but there are better ways/updates to deal with this. The problem with a majority system is that with 6 people who are all friends in the chat, they can kick just about anyone at this hour of night (from 7 to 11 people. ) How long would a kick last?

As you mentioned, group chats.

Allowing users to "mute" another user and not see their posts.

Perhaps even appointing non bias chat moderators. Another site I am on with thousands of people in chat rooms at once has volunteer moderators hand picked by the staff. 

Just an idea aswell!

• Like 1

I realize this may sound a bit controversial, but what would the feasibility be of adding a member-controlled kick feature to the Chatbox? It happens occasionally that none of the mods are online, and some troll enters the CB and really just makes a mess of things. Most of us are all for a good joke, but when someone gets genuinely obnoxious then it can kill the fun.

I was thinking we might add a vote that could be called up by the members of the CB to autokick someone for a short amount of time. It could only be used when there aren't any mods online, and would require a nearly unanimous vote. To further prevent abuse, you could make it only a fifteen or twenty minute ban. That's short enough that if someone gets kicked as a joke, they can come back pretty quickly, but also long enough that hopefully a genuine troll or jerk will get bored and move on to another site.

Additionally mods and/or Sly could view who's been voted out the next time they come back online, and if they see someone that's been kicked consistently over a period of time, they might consider taking further action.

Thoughts? I know there might be some concerns about abuses, but I think this would help more than it would hurt.

EDIT: An alternative idea is that members might be able to form their own private group chats, similar to the one-on-ones but with multiple members. They could be quasi-permanent, showing up whenever two or more of the participants are online at once. It could be comparable to a Skype or AIM discussion, and since each chat's members could be moderated by the host there'd be no need to add a /votekick feature to the main chat. Since this is a pretty big feature, it could possibly be Premium-only? Any member could participate, but only Premiums could host.

I can see your reasoning,  but I would be concerned about a mob mentality if kicks based on group votes were to be implemented.  The private chat would probably be more viable, but again I would be concerned about the main CB being empty whilst everyone is in the private box.  Its a tough call. 

In the meantime, if us guys arent on, send us a PM with a link to the members profile, a brief description of what went on and a list of other members in chat at the time so that we can verify incidents.  a screen grab where possible would also help.

In regards to this latest incident, send me a PM, I don't like the fact that its been going on for a few days and we've heard nowt about it.

Bit of a win lose situation.

On one hand you can kick trolls, but there's 100% going to be people kicking members who don't deserve it as a "joke", which in turn is just more trolling  :hmm:

What AF said would probably be the best solution, although that wouldn't stop the problem there and then. Maybe introducing some sort of 'Chatbox Staff' that have the power to moderate the chatbox would be good?

Edited by Chambers35
  • Like 1

Can't happen, it's not possible.

Have you even sent a mod a PM about the user yet?

Ah well, that's a bummer then. Nevermind.

I have. I sent AF a message about ninety minutes ago. Honestly it wasn't a huge thing on its own, it just got me thinking a bit about the bigger picture. Several days ago, for example, another guy hopped into the CB. He'd registered only moments before, started out by asking for DLC codes, and then when he got no joy he proceeded to call everyone a faggot and start running his mouth. Most of us left, and he disappeared from the site within a number of hours, but it's those kinds of incidents when none of you are online that I was mostly thinking about. It wasn't specifically last night; it just occurred to me as an example.

Allowing users to "mute" another user and not see their posts.

Similar to the "Ignore Signature" feature we already have... this^ is probably better than the "Vote to Kick" feature but, even better, is the private chat groups IMO. That could actually be a really handy feature for online Gaming Sessions as well when users don't like to use the XMB chat on PSN.

• Like 1

I don't use the chat but here is a suggestion, why not an ignore button? That way you wont see anything of what the person is posting, and if he is bottering a lot of people and all of them ignore him he would just be talking to himself and might get bored after a while.

• Like 1

I don't use the chat but here is a suggestion, why not an ignore button? That way you wont see anything of what the person is posting, and if he is bottering a lot of people and all of them ignore him he would just be talking to himself and might get bored after a while.

I like the ignore/block !

I like the ignore/block !

There already is one.

• Like 1