Sega's Ryu ga Gotoku studio announced Project JUDGE

dermarx

I know it's crappy that it might put the game release date in jeopardy, but I think in a world where publishers and studios are constantly screwing up with PR related issues, i feel like this is the right way for Sega to handle things initially. I'll be super bummed if it means I don't get to try one of my most anticipated games of 2019, but at the same time, i think this is the right move on their part.

This is the problem with using a famous person's likeness in a game. There's always the risk that something unsavoury about them comes to light that taints the game they were in and puts the developer/publisher in a difficult position. I know Japan is very harsh when it comes to drug usage, so it's understandable that Sega pulled the game from sale, even if personally, I think it's a bit of an overreaction.

My assumption is that they're working on creating a new character model and voicing his lines with somebody else. I hope this doesn't affect the western release date.

• Like 1

I would hope Sega doesn't take the worst case scenario and just not give it to the West especially now that Yakuza has gained more popularity since Yakuza 6. It would be a bad move after getting so much traction.

But them changing the model is a possibility since they did that with that Chinese assassin guy in Yakuza 0 for I think the Chinese version of the game. If that's what they feel like they need to do to release it then I guess I'm okay with it even though I would rather have it the way it was originally.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, dermarx said:

RGG Studio announced on Twitter they adjust the character model and the japanese voice for the character of Kyohei Hamura. They also mention the launch date for the western release (June 25,2019):

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1109077293207416832

Still seems a bit exaggerated, especially considering this kind of thing isn't nearly as frowned upon in the West as it is in Japan, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much in the end. Just seems like too much work just for what is otherwise a relatively minor offense.

28 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Still seems a bit exaggerated, especially considering this kind of thing isn't nearly as frowned upon in the West as it is in Japan, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much in the end. Just seems like too much work just for what is otherwise a relatively minor offense.

It's not a relatively minor offense in Japan.

4 hours ago, jrdemr said:

According to what I've heard, Japan is pretty harsh when it comes to drug related crimes.

• 2 months later...