PS VR Motion Sickness Common?

Willreaper41

So I finally went for it and bought a PS VR, however after 40 minutes of Skyrim VR it felt like my brain was going to burst and I needed to nap an hour. Later I tried Rigs and while not as bad still had trouble. Is this a common thing and wears off? I think I have 30 days to return it and would prefer not to but can't spend 350 on a migraine machine... not when I could get a Switch I guess.

Motion sickness is very common regardless of the headset. It does get better over time; I remember I couldn't play longer than 15min on my first session but later had no problems playing for 3 hours straight. There are also some medications that might help to reduce motion sickness.

I'm surprised that you had more troubles with Skyrim than Rigs though. Skyrim has some pretty useful setting options for locomotion. I'd definitely keep it for at least 30 days - try some lighter titles (like Moss, Accounting+, Job Simulator, etc.) to get used to it.

I have problems with it.  Seabands helps a bit but I still haven't gotten totally used to it.  I find it is more noticeable when I play on a monitor, instead of sitting back from a TV.

And the headset?  Try Seabands.  I'm not big on taking the medication route; it makes you drowsy.

Edited by PermaFox

You started with one of the worst games in terms of motion sickness on the VR. I bought the bundle with Doom VR, and got motion sickness instantly. I switched to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood were you don't move so much, hopped to some games were you are strapped in a vehicle (Driveclub, Ultrawings), and now I can play Doom without any issues.

You should try other games first in this time period and see if you can do it.

I started off with keep talking and nobody explodes, Superhot, and Job Simulator. None of them gave me sickness, but once I tried GT Sport for more than 20 minutes, I felt like crap the rest of the day.

It gets better over time, but some games may give you sickness regardless. It's different for each person. I'd recommend trying out Job Simulator, The Playroom VR, or Superhot before going to something like Skyrim though. The playroom is also free and is a good introduction to the VR FYI.

47 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Having a fan pointed at you helps to not get really hot, which I find contributes to the motion sickness.

It does get better with use too.

Agreed, I bring this up too every time a similar question is asked. Good ventilation is key. And it'll become less of a problem over time.

I've had my VR for four months now and I also started with Skyrim. Definitely not a good idea lol. The initial first scene tripped my brain out so much that I had to close my eyes. I managed to play it for a bit before I had to stop though. The next game I had tried was Arizona Sunshine, which got me a bit better adjusted to VR.

For me personally, I can't stand smooth movement, unless it's super slow. That's something else to get used to, unless there is a teleport option which you may prefer. 

You do get used to it after a while but as a few people said, it's different for everyone. And playing less intense games for a short period IS best at first. It's just to help your brain adjust. 

There are a lot of cool games that are VR only and I know I'm not the only one that thinks it was a good investment. 

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

You mean its not healthy to have a screen just inches from your eyes?

who woulda thunk!

Nothing to do with how close a screen is to your eyes. It's your brain being unable to correlate your eyes and ears telling it different things. The eyes are telling your brain that you're moving but your ears are telling it that you're stationary in this case. People get motion sickness on buses, boats, trains, planes and in cars without any screen in front of their eyes. I guess that's just caused by magic?

OT: The motion sickness is something I dread about VR, though it gives me hope that it's something you can overcome with slow adjustment.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

You mean its not healthy to have a screen just inches from your eyes?

who woulda thunk!

The screen being close to your eyes has nothing to do with it. Some people just have weaker stomachs than others and have to take it more slowly. I have had my vr for a year or so now and have had no motion sickness since the day I got it and I have tried about 100 different vr games. Like the above person said some people get sick from being in cars, on boats, or roller coasters while others don't. Just because you have a weak stomach doesn't mean vr is "unhealthy".

Edited by rolltideroll157

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 8:35 AM, Willreaper41 said:

So I finally went for it and bought a PS VR, however after 40 minutes of Skyrim VR it felt like my brain was going to burst and I needed to nap an hour. Later I tried Rigs and while not as bad still had trouble. Is this a common thing and wears off? I think I have 30 days to return it and would prefer not to but can't spend 350 on a migraine machine... not when I could get a Switch I guess.

Rigs and Skyrim are both heavy for a beginner both games made me sick.  Starting with something like astrobot or Daracine are a lot better for beginners.  If you really wanna get into skyrim play it for 10 minutes at a time and shut it off the second you start feeling sick, eventually you will be able to play much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I find stuff in which the camera makes you think you're walking (Robinson) or moving in a machine (Driveclub, Time Machine) are hard on the brain to process since all input except those from the eyes tells the brain you're actually sitting still.

There are great games in which you don't (or only slowly) move in-game, though, like Astro Bot, Statik, The Lost Bear, Accounting+, Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, I Expect You To Die...

The more you play, the more you'll be accustomed to the contradictory input, but most people need to walk before they can run.

On 03/10/2018 at 9:19 PM, Asvinia said:

Nothing to do with how close a screen is to your eyes. It's your brain being unable to correlate your eyes and ears telling it different things. The eyes are telling your brain that you're moving but your ears are telling it that you're stationary in this case. People get motion sickness on buses, boats, trains, planes and in cars without any screen in front of their eyes. I guess that's just caused by magic?

OT: The motion sickness is something I dread about VR, though it gives me hope that it's something you can overcome with slow adjustment.

The whole idea of (television) screens being bad for your eyes at all, regardless of distance, is just a silly myth. It's weird how some old beliefs persist.

On your OT: see the first part of thus post, basically what you hope is what's true and it depends on your own body how quickly you can adjust. Personally, after a pause in VR gaming I always need to build it back up again before I can dive into the motion games.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So far, I have only played 4 games in VR, but only one of them gave me motion sickness: Here They Lie. The screen was blurrier than in the other games and the text was almost illegible. Turning with the right stick was more uncomfortable for me than moving my head for some reason. I had to take a lot of breaks when I played this game, so it's kind of weird I don't have this problem with VR games like Eagle Flight. Also, when I played Resident Evil 7 in VR, I could turn with my right stick just fine without getting sick.