Microsoft Confirms Region Locks for Xbox One

Kurorac

Following the big reveal of the Xbox One last week, news about the upcoming new console continues to trickle out slowly. Now the latest bit of information regarding the system has arrived and it will likely strike few people as a surprise: the Xbox One will indeed be region locked.

According to the website Digital Trends, a Microsoft representative sent them the following statement on the matter: “Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale. We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.” So there you have it. I am sure we all anticipated this as being the likely outcome, all things considered.

I think I would have been far more shocked had the Xbox One not been region locked. Still, at least it is something in the way of a hard fact and honestly the Xbox One cannot have enough of those at this point. Stay tuned to Blistered Thumbs for continuing coverage of the Xbox One and be sure to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Source: http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/05/microsoft-confirms-region-locks-for-xbox-one/

Can it get worse? I hope the PS4 doesn't have Region Lock, because many games I like to play don't even have an EU release.

Only XBOX fanboys would defend the XBOX One really wtf wants that big good for nothing box? most of the things the supposed "console"  does others things do it if i want to watch tv i just turn on my tv not a console and with all of that social media crap the XBOX One is definitely not my thing i buy a console to play games that the whole point of having a console i hope the PS4 is not region locked as im planning to buy some imported games

:hmm: it seems every week there is at least 1 new reason not to get the xbox 1.

Sad but true.

Before there were all those "great" news about the new Xbox, I thought it might be difficult again to chose the next console...

I'm gonna wait before I might get one anyway, but MS makes a good job to yell "get the Ps4" at people. Sony hardly needs to do anything.

Now I just hope, Sony doesn't screw things up with some news about their console...

Well considering the 360 was region locked this doesn't come as a surprise but Microsoft is only harming themselves. At this rate the Xbox One might just become the Vita of the console world being as its a device with potential but the makers screwed up the formula for success along the way

Well, there were quite some games on the 360 you could actually play even when they were from a different region.

The problem was, that you had to check before, because it wasn't for all games.

Which was basically bad luck for them, because it's not a good argument to have a region-lock if the most dangerous competitor doesn't have that nonsense.

I don't get why anyone has region lock nowadays. That is just more incentive for people to hack your machine to open it up for playing games. The thing is the people who import games are probably the same people who know how to CFW your system so just cut out the problem and allow imports.

What are the pros & cons of Region Lock consoles?

There isn't much of a pro to it...just that the devs will earn the money from wherever that game sells and not more in one place. Example is Persona 4 arena, it was region lock as a business move from Atlus. Since people in asia could buy P4A cheaper in the US, they wanted to make sure the game was been supported where it was selling.

The con is if it's a Japan only game (Like Miles edgeworth 2, I'm looking at you capcom.) then you cannot play it on your american console not even in a EU console ether. It has to be played in a japan made console. People don't like region lock if they are trophy/achievements type or want to play that japan only made game. Hope I was able to explain it well :ninja:

Edited by EliteVega

Cons: If there's no region - none (edited)

Pros: You can import games from everywhere no matter where you live.

Meaning, I can buy games from the US (NTSC) and would be able to play them, even though I'm from Germany (PAL).

Edited by Latikos

There isn't much of a pro to it...just that the devs will earn the money from wherever that game sells and not more in one place. Example is Persona 4 arena, it was region lock as a business move from Atlus. Since people in asia could buy P4A cheaper in the US, they wanted to make sure the game was been supported where it was selling.

The con is if it's a Japan only game (Like Miles edgeworth 2, I'm looking at you capcom.) then you cannot play it on your american console not even in a EU console ether. It has to be played in a japan made console. People don't like region lock if they are trophy/achievements type or want to play that japan only made game. Hope I was able to explain it well :ninja:

Oh,I get now.

I wouldn't mind playing Japanese PS3 or PS4 games :hmm:

I love their 2D side scrolling shooters.