Earn Achievements for Watching TV

Dr_Mayus

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/microsoft-patent-hints-at-achievements-for-watching-tv

A Microsoft patent suggests that Achievements for watching television could be added to Xbox Live. According to a patent filed by Microsoft in 2011 (and published on May 16th), Microsoft seeks to “award a user” across a “TV ecosystem.”

“Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content,” the patent states. “To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content. Producers, distributors, and advertisers of the video content may set viewing goals and award a viewer who has reached the goals.”

Such measures could be used for advertising, as the patent notes that “additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities.”

The patent also suggests compatibility with Microsoft’s Kinect sensor, noting that “the viewing behavior may include an action performable by the viewer and detectable by one or more sensors, such as a depth camera.” The patent also mentions a system “configured to track the viewing behaviors of one or more viewers” that can “compile one or more user-specific reports of the viewing behaviors, and send the user-specific reports to a remote device to determine whether the user-viewing goal has been met.”

In addition to Achievements, “an award may be a virtual award, such as an addition to a viewer score or an update to an avatar associated with the viewer” as well as “coupons for an advertised product or service, or an actual product.”

For now, it’s unclear whether this patent refers to Xbox 360 or the recently announced Xbox One, but we’ve reached out to Microsoft and will update this story with any comment we receive. It's also worth noting that, like any patent filing, there's no guarantee that this will actually lead to a product or service being released.

Imagine having to write the guide for the latest episode of Glee or unlocking the platinum for the Superbowl. XboxONE gets dumber and dumber...and that is why I think it will be the best selling system this Christmas.

I'm not joking either, this console has enough stupid things attached into it that I think it is going to sell like gangbusters to the casual crowd. The same crowd that scooped up the Kinect despite it having no games worth playing. Why do you think the only thing MS showed was Features and COD that is the only 2 things it will need to sell this system (kids want COD and parents like gimmicks). The bad news is that if it does sell as well as I think it will, Sony will follow suit and then we are all fucked.

• Like 2

No thanks. To me watching anime (don't have regular TV or Netflix, I rely on my DVDs or what I download, and that's mostly anime) is to break away from the stress of completing in game tasks etc. This would actually force me to watch shit I didn't like on the first episode and just keeps getting worse with each episode, for 500 episodes, just for the sake of achievements. Nope.

• Like 3

No thanks. To me watching anime (don't have regular TV or Netflix, I rely on my DVDs or what I download, and that's mostly anime) is to break away from the stress of completing in game tasks etc. This would actually force me to watch shit I didn't like on the first episode and just keeps getting worse with each episode, for 500 episodes, just for the sake of achievements. Nope.

Agreed.

I don't want to force myself to watch a crappy TV show to get achievements :angry:

Now wait, this could be a cool feature if they would incorporate it with good television networks like AMC, HBO, Showtime...

Wait a minute, This is Xbox ONE. WTF AM I SAYING

All there is Halo TV and Quantum Break

Edited by A-Brawl3r

really, @ a distance or a quick glimpse this might sound stupid.

but really, if ya look into it, it's genius if they can pull it off.

they are potential for billions maybe trillions of dollars to be made from this.

but then, none of that will be going into My bank account.

da colossal down side to this is da big brotha syndrome.

having Ur every movement and aspect of Ur daily viewing and even Ur lifestyle monitored... 

No, no. I'm totally against that. already turned off by da crap box.

and if da PS4 was to head in that direction, this would be 1 of da major reason I would pass.

My activity is being monitored enough already without My consent. 

but not so much a dumb idea a it would be a bad idea..

Edited by BDKSimba

Change the Channel

Achievement Unlocked!

Better yet:

Have your Xbox 360 be turned off by Yusuf Mehdi while he demonstrates the Xbox One = Achievement Unlock.

I remember hearing that when he said "Xbox Off" to the Xbox One, anyone who was watching the conference with their Xbox 360 had their system turn off.  Don't know how true that is, but it's hilarious all the same.

• Like 1

Agreed.

I don't want to force myself to watch a crappy TV show to get achievements :angry:

Then don't, seriously why would you watch something you dont like to get something so meaningless.

I really dont see why people do it, even if this does happen which is highly unlikely, why do people put themselves through this, you could call it a type of torture, to gain something so meaningless at the end, now dont get me wrong I do enjoy earning trophies and I do actively spend most of my time hunting trophies but I would not play a game or watch something that I did not like, all the games on my trophy list I have enjoyed and only completed because I liked playing them and all the tv shows and films I have watch is because I love to watch them, that's certainly not going to change even if they do offer achievements.

Well there’s no games to get achievements in, so this makes perfect sense.

:awesome:

But seriously this will almost certainly undermine the whole achievement system which should be based on gaming skill or perseverance in some cases. People could just leave their TV on all the time to get achievements. But it is only a patent, so we will have to wait and see.
Edited by Brachio Dino Ranger

Then don't, seriously why would you watch something you dont like to get something so meaningless.

for da same reason people play these crappy games they don't like. for da trophy :platinum:  :gold:  :silver:  :bronze: /achievement.. to up their score over da next person. :facepalm: smfh