Trophy thoughts?

Jamberman

2 hours ago, Jamberman said:

I know EDF isn't a very popular series and if it wasn't for psnprofiles posting up the trophy list I wouldn't even know the game is releasing in a week, but what are your opinions on the trophies? I think they look less grindy than past EDF games.

Depending how the story completion is, could determine the grind factor.

But looks doable

3 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Depending on whether or not you have to finish the game on Inferno, this could well end up as the easiest and fastest EDF Platinum ever!

I mean there is a trophy for 100% completion... I think it's quite obvious you'll need to play every difficulty again. 4 Classes, 5 difficulties (probably) so at least 10 playthroughs if the splitscreen method works again.

At least they didn't include a weapon trophy this time, no more collecting useless weapons.Not sure how many missions there are exactly or how difficult they are, i'd guess it'll take about the same time 4.1 took to plat.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

This game must be download only because it's releasing soon and I can only find the Japan import on Play Asia, was hoping to get it for my brother and I, we love this series, stupid silly fun.

This looks pretty standard glad there is no weapon one and by the looks of it it requires all difficulties and classes to complete story for 100% should be doable, though I say that I'm still on EDF3 hahaha

This is the easiest EDF platinum.

You only need 3 playthroughs with each class. When you beat HARD, you also unlock NORMAL and EASY, so you need to clear HARD, HARDEST and INFERNO.

No 100% weapons trophy.

Also, there are several QoL improvements, as every class gets a little armor after each fight, running for Ranger, if you lose you get a little armor (except on INFERNO IIRC), etc.

Finally, missions are way easier than 4.1, they are tough, but never frustrating like in 4.1.

Still, its my favourite EDF, can't wait to platinum it again. December 11th can't come soon enough.

Edited by CDFL1983
  • Like 1

I didn't play it the japanese version yet, but the game seems a lot easier than 4.1 Platinum wise, since there's no 100% weapons trophy, which was the nightmarish one, it's a gazillion times easier.

The western version will most probably be missing the Wing Diver wonder weapon that meant that you could be indefinitely be airborne and out of reach of most enemies, which made the plat a joke if you could master this. They patched it in the japanese version long ago so I assume the western version won't have that feature. It was even worse than Air Raiders with helicopters.

Like xZonehunter said the problem with 4.1 and 2025 (4 in Japan) (and EDF 2 on the Vita) was the stupidity of having to collect 100% weapons, when a lot of those were basically useless. Although I must admit that some weapons, even stupid, have their uses.

They seem to have addressed a few problems with 4.1. Namely EDF soldiers now have health regenerated with all classes (it was only the ranger that had this ability on 4.1, was absent on 4), EDF soldiers have improved a lot and they have a running option and a pick up circle which means picking all crates is a lot better, as this was painfully boring in 4/4.1 even with the Wing Diver. Pity they shelved the hectors. The new flying things seem awful, hope they're not a big disappointment. And it's a pity they never took advantage of the Mantis and Giant Hector from Insect Armageddon, which were the only great things about that appalling game. They could also dump the fencer class ???

As to difficulty I can't comment on 5, but 4.1 is only moderately difficult if you have the correct strategy. There's only 3 missions that pose problems, and 2 are just long. But even those can be reliably beaten with the right approach. I'm as guilty as most players in thinking that EDF is very hard, it's if you do the FPS only approach. If you take the strategy one it becomes easy. No mission on 4.1 needs more than 3000 health, not even close, and you can do the vast majority with less than 1000. Yes, I'm a lousy FPS player.

In terms of difficulty in EDF games  (considering solo play, conservative armor (less than 10K Vita games, less than 4k PS3/4)):

1 - EDF 2 Vita (far, far, far above everything else, no one has platted this without massive farming or online help)

2 - EDF 4.1

3 - EDF 2025/4

4 - EDF 2017 Vita

2 - EDF 2017 Vita (way below 2, but still very far from the PS3 and PS4 versions)

3 - EDF 2025/4 PS3

2 - EDF 4.1 PS4

EDIT 3/2021 - Crap, how things change...

Last it's a pity very few players give this game a chance. I'm also guilty, I thought this was a awful, stupid and boring game. It has its ups and downs, but it's probably one of the most fun series I ever played on all platforms. Yes, it has frame rate issues, but as someone else said it it would not be EDF if it didn't have them, and it must be realized that sometimes the number of enemies and buildings falling down at the same time on screen is staggering. Yes, it's scripted levels but if they weren't then it would be impossible to finish in inferno, and to me the fun is precisely finding the strategy to solve the level in acceptable armor levels (unlike japanese players who do all the game with basic armor (150-200) in inferno or the whole game in inferno in a row from scratch with no farmed weapons). And it can be fantastic fun with the right kind of friends playing online. It can be awful with randoms, as you get bored or loose your patience. I've met several "hard" trophy hunters who share this opinion.

Give it a good try, perhaps you'll get hooked.

Only issue for me is that all difficulties except inferno are easy and boring right now (except EDF 2, but that one is out of my league).

And really, really stupid there's no physical release.

Almost 3 years later there's a western physical release... Right on time...

Edited by cris3f

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Does anyone know which list the Asian retail release will give you? I ask, because I want to stack this game at some point and really want to get the Asian retail release because it has English menus but need to know if it will give me the JP list or just attach itself to the Western version.

I wouldn't risk it. On play-asia the Asian version's release date is listed as dec 11. I think it's highly likely to it'll have the same list as the international version. If you want to stack it i'd get the jp version just to be sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

I wouldn't risk it. On play-asia the Asian version's release date is listed as dec 11. I think it's highly likely to it'll have the same list as the international version. If you want to stack it i'd get the jp version just to be sure.

Nuts, I figured as much :(. Thanks anyway for the info.

You can't get the japanese trophy list on any other version besides the japanese one. And japanese servers are different from everyone else's.

There's plenty of translations for the japanese version, and it's very easy to play the japanese versions of EDF games if you played the western ones before.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, cris3f said:

You can't get the japanese trophy list on any other version besides the japanese one. And japanese servers are different from everyone else's.

There's plenty of translations for the japanese version, and it's very easy to play the japanese versions of EDF games if you played the western ones before.

Every main entry of EDF is the same way. Japan has 1 set of servers and trophies, and the rest of the world gets another cause they're xenophobic bastards. There's no excuse for dividing the population of a game that's niche to begin with. The fools importing the Asian disc should also be aware that they'll need an Asian account to get the DLC, and this is the best DLC of any EDF game.

Edited by NoLifeDGenerate
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 05/12/2018 at 2:24 AM, CDFL1983 said:

You only need 3 playthroughs with each class. When you beat HARD, you also unlock NORMAL and EASY, so you need to clear HARD, HARDEST and INFERNO.

No 100% weapons trophy.

Also, there are several QoL improvements, as every class gets a little armor after each fight, running for Ranger, if you lose you get a little armor (except on INFERNO IIRC), etc.

Finally, missions are way easier than 4.1, they are tough, but never frustrating like in 4.1.

Still, its my favourite EDF, can't wait to platinum it again. December 11th can't come soon enough.

I disagree with you Im having a hard completing mission 99 intense underground battle on inferno I have about 10k armour with each class.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, patrickogorman19 said:

I disagree with you Im having a hard completing mission 99 intense underground battle on inferno I have about 10k armour with each class.

If you're trying to do that offline, you'd be best to run splitscreen and drag other classes through with Wing Diver. Online, find people that don't suck. You can add me if you need help. I play Xbox too though, so I don't check PSN every day...  Also use the weapons from the DLC mission packs. I think I went with what was essentially Master Rapier (level 101) and a lance or the DLC thunderbow. The king spiders will murder you if you screw up on that mission, but the final room is the bad part. You really need to rush in there and start knocking down anchors. That's why I say WD. I always had a hard time clearing it with other classes. Fencer can move fast too, but WD usually makes caves easier.

• 1 year later...

I was taking a look at this trophy list as well, and the one that turns me off is the obvious co-op ones, since that I'm not trying to rush anything but i would hate myself if the game suddenly shuts down and makes those co-op unavailable. 

But I'm reading that there's offline co-op too, and in that case, does it work for those trophies as well?

21 minutes ago, Darghel said:

I was taking a look at this trophy list as well, and the one that turns me off is the obvious co-op ones, since that I'm not trying to rush anything but i would hate myself if the game suddenly shuts down and makes those co-op unavailable. 

But I'm reading that there's offline co-op too, and in that case, does it work for those trophies as well?

Yes you can do them in online or offline. D3 never shut their servers down though, the ps3 edf games are still online since they're P2P hosted

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Yes you can do them in online or offline. D3 never shut their servers down though, the ps3 edf games are still online since they're P2P hosted

That's a relief then, I hate when I come back years later and a game I wanted to play is no longer available to platinum (looking at you, Grand Kingdom and Playstation all stars!)

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, CDFL1983 said:

No 100% weapons trophy.

The co- op requires online?