Safe Place For All Critiscm

ChaBoiChernobyl

Come and mass debate away. A community and safe haven for all people who critique games (or other media) to do what they do best and critique. I encourage friendly debates but if it gets too personal just settle your socks. 

Assassin's Creed is a poorly written franchise that only focuses on gaining money instead of polish and good narrative, which coupled with the bad combat and control design leads to a boring series.

• Like 1

Never played the Ass games.

I recently played through TLOU. I dunno why people call No Man's Sky and The Order 1886 hype let-downs. TLOU was a big steaming pile of shit compared to The Order. I don't blame Nolan North for the voice acting. It was that horrible writing that he had to deal with that ruined his performance. The whole game was under par, especially for a AAA, 1st party title. Nothing about it was good or original. It was a snore-fest from beginning to end. Speaking of, that ending...fucking really? Ugh. 

Somebody else in my discord said it better than me. People who find TLOU a masterpiece are conparing it to other mindless shiny diamonds. Sure, a daimond is pretty, but it's essentially worthless. No substance. The basic of basic building blocks of inorganic structure. Everybody has been fooled by big business to assigning value to it. 

Edited by Phil
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

I recently played through TLOU. I dunno why people call No Man's Sky and The Order 1886 hype let-downs. TLOU was a big steaming pile of shit compared to The Order. I don't blame Nolan North for the voice acting. It was that horrible writing that he had to deal with that ruined his performance. The whole game was under par, especially for a AAA, 1st party title. Nothing about it was good or original. It was a snore-fest from beginning to end. Speaking of, that ending...fucking really? Ugh. 

Somebody else in my discord said it better than me. People who find TLOU a masterpiece are conparing it to other mindless shiny diamonds. Sure, a daimond is pretty, but it's essentially worthless. No substance. The basic of basic building blocks of inorganic structure. Everybody has been fooled by big business to assigning value to it. 

That's a hot fucking take, but it's your opinion so whatever.

Agreed about AC. It's the same crap every game, and yet I still keep buying the damned things. I've made a vow to not play another until the series hits Japan, though I'm sure I'll be disappointed. 

• Like 3

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was a slog of a game that should have been ten hours but got stretched into about fifty or so hours. I tried to give the gameplay a chance but I honestly don't see what other people like about it other than you're allowed to get creative with how you handle the objectives. But in order to get the actual good stuff you have to do the boring Mother Base stuff that's just a resource and personnel grind akin to a mobile game that just slowed down the gameplay way too much. Say what you will about Ubisoft games like Far Cry or Ghost Recon but the gameplay in those didn't slow down to a crawl because I had to go grind for resources so I could make a new weapon. 

There's also how there aren't really any worthwhile bosses apart from the Skulls which are just bullet sponges and the other being

Spoiler

Sahelanthropus

which was also a damage sponge in its own way but I guess at least it was some kind of proper boss. But I feel the worst offense the game has is in order to get to the ending you have to play the whole game over again on a harder difficulty where you can't get spotted at all. It's such a cheap way to have replayability especially considering the payoff for it all. 

The story and the retcons it made were just so unnecessary and just overall pointless that I refuse to accept the game as canon. It may as well not be since nothing in the other games actually mentions any sort of event from it. The only character that was relatively decent was Miller mainly because he was just pissed off and wasn't so bland compared to everyone else.

Even the soundtrack is pretty lacking. Outside of Sins of the Father (which even when it does play it's in a really awkward scene) the Skulls theme is the only memorable one.

Spoiler

There's certainly no The Best is Yet to Come or Snake Eater that's for sure.

It's just such a shame that this is the way a beloved franchise goes out. I know that it was rushed out and incomplete but even the "complete" cut content was pretty underwhelming. I would have been more forgiving of it if the gameplay was at least like Peace Walker with co-op and you can do all sorts of weird stuff with friends because you could make fun gadgets to mess around with. I would have gladly taken a 10-15 hour fun co-op experience than the bloated single-player with tacked on multi-player mess we actually got.

But hey, at least it didn't get any worse from th--

Screen-Shot-2016-06-02-at-2.40.15-PM.jpg

41e12784fbe401ae7837627c6c12cc99b27cf6c7

Oh...

On the topic of criticism though, I recommend this Skull on Wheels named MauLer. He's got some game and movie critiques that while long are pretty enjoyable overall. I'm not really sure what to say to start with so I guess I'll just go with this one since I think by comparison to the others he's done is shorter.

Spider-Man PS4 was a mediocre open-world game. It did everything well but nothing great.

The story was okay but nothing that touches the top 10 spider-man comic stories. MJ at times was a really frustrating character. I don't agree with the writing of the character in this game.

The open world was nice to swing around in, at the start of the game, but towards the end like most if not all open-world games, it just becomes kind of a slog to do all of the missions on the map.

The combat was good, but basically boils down to upper cuts and gadgets towards the end of the game.

Overall the game is a solid 7-8 out of 10. But nothing deserving of a perfect 10 out of 10 or anything like that.

I would put at the same level as games like saints row 3 or sleeping dogs. Just replace cars with swinging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

That's your opinion. But one I respect.

Personally I don't see the point in giving certain games 10 out of 10, because a lot of reviewers don't have the time to invest more than a few hours into the game.

I didn't like the new God of War that much. It lacked the high octane action that the PS2 - PS3 games had and I felt that Arteus was a mere annoyance that served to move the story along. It didn't deserve all those 10 out of 10s, which The Last of Us also got during it's initial release.

The story and the graphics is what I think got the most praise from people. I don't buy a game for the graphics, I buy a game for the gameplay. God of War lacked good gameplay, it was basically a 10 - 15 hour adventure of Kratos trying to forget his past and Arteus being a picky little snot who is curious about what had happened to his father beforehand.

Spending the entire story getting to a certain mountain to spread your deceased loved one's ashes? I mean really?

And of course there's a lot of unanswered questions. Perhaps Sony Santa Monica is working on a game that is going to fill in the gap between the end of God of War 3 and God of War 2018. They want to continue Krato's legacy but I just didn't feel for this game at all.

Leaving the Valkyries to be side content was disappointing. They would of been more interesting if they were a part of the main story. The Queen Valkyrie was the only "challenge" in the entire game. Everything else was easy, and like most open world games the game just became a big collectathon of finding all the treasures and hunting down Odin's Ravens. Not exactly innovative.

Indie games I just find to have more value these days because they aren't tied to some giant corporate scumbag. However Bloodborne of course is probably my favorite action game this generation, and if you haven't played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt yet I highly recommend you do. Worth every penny spent and every minute invested.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Finally someone, who actually shares my opinion. I can see the apeal but i just think the game so boring (not even mentioning my distaste of the main protagonist). The gameplay is just too bland for my taste and the "tearjerking" moments left me completely cold. Main offender was the beginning. I could not believe how many people cared about a character that they knew for 10 minutes.

On that note my least favorite Uncharted is the 4th one (Thive's End). I am not it is bad by any means but the pacing almost killed me. If there is one game that was too long for its good than it is this one. Every single chapter of the story just dragged on and on and once i got to that island i almost stopped playing.

Oh, and i despise David Cage as a writer. Every single game from him i either absolutely hated (Indigo Prophecy, HEAVY RAIN, Beyond) or just desliked (Detroit). His writing is just so overly emotional, his messeges are as subtle as a rock to the face, full of plot holes and the fact that it things about itself how deep and genius it is. It just feels like those awful festival art movies. Oh, and did i mention his WTF sex scenes. I admit they are funny (well at least the Heavy Rain one) (or utterly creepy - Indigo Prophecy).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WeprCZ said:

Oh, and i despise David Cage as a writer. Every single game from him i either absolutely hated (Indigo Prophecy, HEAVY RAIN, Beyond) or just desliked (Detroit). His writing is just so overly emotional, his messeges are as subtle as a rock to the face, full of plot holes and the fact that it things about itself how deep and genius it is. It just feels like those awful festival art movies. Oh, and did i mention his WTF sex scenes. I admit they are funny (well at least the Heavy Rain one) (or utterly creepy - Indigo Prophecy).

This was just too awkward and too forced. Though admittedly it was a bit amusing.

11 hours ago, Phil said:

I thought the story and voice acting were excellent, this isn't based on other people's opinions they are based off the emotions I felt playing it and wow did the intro really hit me emotionally. Another stand out moment was with Henry and Sam that surprisingly stunned me. I loved the connection between the main characters too as it built overtime. If a game or film can make me feel emotionally about it then they've done it right.

As for the core gameplay I really enjoyed my Survivor playthrough but once it hits new game plus things started to change. For a start I'm struggling to find the point of new game plus, from a gameplay perspective nothing changes, you still have to collect each weapon and you still have to find limited ammo. On higher difficulties you spend most of the time in stealth so nothing changes in the way you approach it. In all honesty it's a waste of time.

By the time I had finished Survivor plus and got the platinum overall I had enjoyed the game but now I'm going through my playthrough on Grounded mode (should have done this instead of a Survivor run but the Survivor plus playthrough gave me The Last of Us platinum as my 4000th trophy).

Now I'm finding the game tedious and struggling to get through and yes as soon as I've finished I've got to do it all again. I need to keep at it though as I've memorised the routes. This game is not a masterpiece especially if you're going for 100% but it is a fantastic game if you're just playing through the game once or twice for the story and ignoring the trophies.

• 4 months later...

I didn't grow up with the Crash Bandicoot saga so when I went in to play it I thought that the control scheme was massively scuffed and some of the level design was just plain boring. I don't think it's an inherently bad game I just don't think it's a masterpiece classic unlike Wall.E for the Nintendo DS. Crash Bandicoot to me seemed to be fans turning a blind eye to the issues because something is back that they loved, same as in Spyro where the skateboarding controls were still donkey dick and the flying sections felt either unresponsive or like you just jerked off a cheetah. I still platinumed Spyro 1 but I wouldn't give it the 8's or 9's some thought to.

Bioshock Infinite is somewhat garbage compared to the other shock games

Lets forget about system shock 1&2 for this but Bioshock 1&2 were great takes on Ayn Rand's philosophy and that humans are essentially aholes. Shows the greed and hunger that humans have and are willing to go through for survival (I Feel this isnt fair due to me reading all her books in high school). After I beat the first game in 07 it left me thinking of humans are by nature greedy,selfish, and self preservative and this is what would happen to a Objectivist Utopia.

Bioshock infinite is more or less

PhYsICs , RaCisTs In ThE ClOuDssss, and oh look the multiverse theory where you are the bad guy....oh wait the first game did it within the first and second act The you are the villain all along part...not the multiverse Except it did it better with the concept of free choice. 

PLUS THE ENDING! Oh my F*** is the ending hot trash 

Spoiler

A bunch of multiverse Anna's drown "Earth 1" Booker... The turning point was the Baptism after wounded knee "Earth 2" thus "Earth 1" Booker was a whole different artichoke
Thats not how the multiverse works you cant cut off a branch of a tree and expect the other branch on the opposite side to suddenly not exist