Frustration

wafflestomper810

I find that anymore all I am becoming is increasingly frustrated when it comes to trophy hunting.  I already blow ass when it comes to difficulty trophies, I can't even platinum a Ratchet and Clank title.  Just now I became so enraged when I messed up an artifex mundi title.  It seems the only titles I will be able to platinum soon will be games made for toddlers and even those I can see screwing up.  My frustration level keeps going up while my patience reaches zero.  Yet, I feel so compelled to earn every trophy I can.  Any suggestions on what I should do or should I just stop hunting altogether?  I know that would probably make my wife happy.

Edited by wafflestomper810
  • Like 2

I've become kind of the same, but for me Ive just gotten annoyed with long hard plats. I used to put in lots of hours platinuming the Tales and FF games, but now can't be bothered to go for those long RPG plats anymore and hence have gotten into VNs and otome games. I do enjoy them a lot, and they are stress free with easy plats requiring no effort. You try a VN or drama adventure type game e.g. life is strange, beyond, steins gate etc. Great stories, easy plats and I find them good to destress between the long grindy rpgs. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I've become kind of the same, but for me Ive just gotten annoyed with long hard plats. I used to put in lots of hours platinuming the Tales and FF games, but now can't be bothered to go for those long RPG plats anymore and hence have gotten into VNs and otome games. I do enjoy them a lot, and they are stress free with easy plats requiring no effort. You try a VN or drama adventure type game e.g. life is strange, beyond, steins gate etc. Great stories, easy plats and I find them good to destress between the long grindy rpgs. 

I have steins gate and a host of others, but have to motivate myself to get back into them.  Surprisingly I have found that by starting assassin's creed odyssey without pressuring myself on it and just running around exploring and treating it like skyrim I am having a more enjoyable time.

17 hours ago, dropsofjupiter said:

I hear ya. And can identify with most of what you say. Can’t plat Ratchet & Clank because of the races! 1f602.png I say quit for now. It’s not fun at the moment. That’s what I’m doing. I’d rather do nothing right now (or clean house - if that tells you anything). Don’t push it. Happy wife = happy life. There’s nothing stopping you from coming back to it at a later date when/if it or another game sounds appealing again. Peace!

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Edited by wafflestomper810
  • Like 1

Hey, thats an interesting topic. These are my thoughts:

First, you need to set goals. Daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. 

This many plats with this % by this time. Or something along those lines.

This will help with...

...motivation. 

Some games trophies are ridiculous. And require crazy levels of motivation. 

Take repeating the same mundane grind for multiplayer trophies, max level trophies etc..

This motivation goes hand in hand with...

..dedication. 

Everybody has varying levels of dedication to something, but with the set goals in mind, i believe any trophy can be achieved. 

Dedication is a requirement for difficulty trophies. I spent days playing the prairie king on stardew valley constantly dying and restarting, until i saw gradual improvement, knowing that i was closer to finishing it. 

Patience.

Again everybodys patience varys, but i think its a skill that can be trained. Seeing little bits of improvement and knowing you are getting closer helps. 

Research.

If you have read a guide or watched a video, but you are still struggling, check for a different way, or message somebody who has finished what you are struggling with. 

Pacing.

Finally, finding your own pace, knowing when to step back and take a break is also very important. When im struggling, i try to imagine myself beating the challenge im stuck on, and then apply that imagination on my next attempt.

I dont think quitting is a good thing to do, always try and conquer the challenges and it will make the next hard game easier. 

Hope that helps.

*didnt proof read. ^^

Edited by Reinachii-
  • Like 1

My suggestion is when you get frustrated over relatively easy games like Ratchet and Clank, take a break. A few weeks if not a month or so is pretty good.

You're thinking of trophy hunting as work. I looked at MMOs like Runescape and World of Warcraft to be purely work, and eventually I ended up quitting because the grind was just too much.

As the saying goes, 'When the fun stops, STOP'. Do something else. Take a breather. Don't let it get to you so much.

I have found that these things work and when I do get around to trying to get the trophies again after a break, it usually works. Repeatedly doing something over and over and failing is just going to up the frustration and no-one can function properly if you're super tensed up because you think 'this is going to fail again'. You'll find that going back to try again once you're relaxed will work wonders, and if it doesn't, well, so what. At the end of the day there's no rule that says you have to get them all or are a worse player for not having got them all. Just enjoy yourself and kick back a bit when the blood starts to boil. 

If it helps, the races on R&Clank are where I gave up, and I couldn't care less that they're left undone.:)

I've had a look at your profile. Sitting around 50% completion, most of the games you've completed have a rarity of either Uncommon or Common.

In my opinion keep doing what you're doing, aim to complete a game on easy or normal mode, if you're enjoying it then attempt the platinum, if it gets too much and you're not then move on. You're not going for a 100% profile so don't let it worry you.

If trophies are becoming too distracting then turn off the notifications.

Getting to the point of frustration just shows you're trying too hard and are turning it into a chore instead of having fun. So I'd stop focusing on trophies so much and have a break. Come back, play something you've really been interested in playing and just enjoy the experience. After that see how you feel about trying to plat said game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Feral said:

Getting to the point of frustration just shows you're trying too hard and are turning it into a chore instead of having fun. So I'd stop focusing on trophies so much and have a break. Come back, play something you've really been interested in playing and just enjoy the experience. After that see how you feel about trying to plat said game.

Currently doing this with AC Odyssey.   Having a really great time with the game.

I've been there before man and progressively slowed my platinum rate because of it. Reinachii- recommended setting goals which is a great idea but if that doesn't work for you then your best bet would be to not focus on trophies as much and just focus on having fun with games you enjoy.

Don't stress yourself out over it and have fun with your games ?