Can I Get Into DMC5 For The Fist Entry?

AnimeFanTalk

There is a synopsis video that is avaible  in the game to catch you up on the story if you want. The story through the games isn’t very deep so that should be enough to catch you up on the important details. As for gameplay, it is pretty intuitive, just takes time to get a good feel on how to pull off nice combos. You should honestly be fine with DMC 5 being your first entry into the series.

Edited by ZombHunter13
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I'll never understand why people think you can start with the third, fourth or fifth game and think it will make sense without playing the others, it's the fifth game for a reason. 

I've always found sequels on video games to have strong self-contained stories that don't rely on previous entries for enjoyment or understanding.  

A new gamer won't get all the references or have the backstory going in but the new game's story, plot, and characters will still re-explain the important bits. Eastereggs will mean more to older players but can still look cool. 

What is odd is that all of these long running series get the same question from a new gamer and developers always say the samething, "A new player can start with the new game and understand the story." Yet the question is always asked. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I'll never understand why people think you can start with the third, fourth or fifth game and think it will make sense without playing the others, it's the fifth game for a reason. 

Okay, so we'll put you down for a "no you can't". 

9 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What is odd is that all of these long running series get the same question from a new gamer and developers always say the samething, "A new player can start with the new game and understand the story." Yet the question is always asked. 

Eh, it's a fair question though. If someone is losing out on an experience because they're starting with the newest game in series versus if they started from the beginning / first one, it's better to know up front. Even if it is repetitive, it's better to ask and know for sure than possibly miss out on the devs comment saying so and being none the wiser. 

Edited by Velvet

48 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

To be fair, the DMC series has never had a strong story to begin with

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Eh, it's a fair question though. If someone is losing out on an experience because they're starting with the newest game in series versus if they started from the beginning / first one, it's better to know up front. Even if it is repetitive, it's better to ask and know for sure than possibly miss out on the devs comment saying so and being none the wiser. 

The answer never changes.

1 hour ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

Remember, there are games that are numbered but do not share same history or universe as previous titles, Final Fantasy series is one of the biggest example we can get

Edited by dragonzombie1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The answer never changes.

Maybe, but someone new to gaming might not know that. Really, there's no harm in asking, it's yes or no. There's no need for the "I can't believe this is being asked", lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Maybe, but someone new to gaming might not know that. Really, there's no harm in asking, it's yes or no. There's no need for the "I can't believe this is being asked", lol.

Never said or implied there harm in asking or expressed amazement at how poorly informed some people are.

You can play devil's advocate as much as you like but nothing you've said changes the fact this frequently-asked-question has the same answer for every game series.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

nothing you've said changes the fact this frequently-asked-question has the same answer for every game series.

To be fair, there is a Kingdom Hearts 3, which makes zero sense to a newbie if he at least didn't watch a hour long story summary on youtube.

But yeah, usually it's fine. You can easily start Uncharted 4 or the latest God of war without playing them before.

As for DMC5 the story is very fanservice-heavy doesn't really hold it's ground on it's own, but the story was always the weakest part in the series. It's a series about gameplay after all. I would say go for it if you want. But you can play 3 and 4, they are still one of the best in the genre.

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 1

I suppose you could but you wouldn't really get all the references. It would probably be best to play DMC1, 3, and 4 though anyway since you can understand what's going on but also because they are good games anyway. DMC2 is probably the only one you don't really need to play since I don't even think 5 outside of an easter egg or two actually references it since that one is more of the black sheep of the series and for good reason. But you can play it if you want to, I don't really advise it though...

• Like 2