The Last Of Us sex numbers to be removed.

drummerklg

Gamers have reported in recent days that two in-game telephone numbers, listed as a contact for "Pest Control" services, are actually associated with sex hotlines.

Kotaku confirmed the report, getting a statement from The Last of Us' creative director Neil Druckmann for an explanation.

"That was an artist's mistake," Drukcmann said. "What happened was, they put some phone numbers in the game and then they thought they could just change the area code to 555, then it's invalid because it's what they do in movies. But I guess that doesn't work when you have a 1-800 in front of it."

"We're now working to take it out," he added. "It was just an honest mistake."

image_304945_fit_940.jpg

I never understood why whenever people see a random phone number, be it in media or text, feel the need to call it.  I mean, really? Why would you want to talk to a random person unless you want to prank them, in which case, you're about 15-20 years late.  I don't even see the point of either with the power of the internet's phone lookups.

So, why exactly do they need to be removed? If you're mature enough to purchase this game I don't think you're the kind of person who should be offended by something like this. I won't be surprised to hear of a lawsuit in the next few days...  :rolleyes:

Parker

Reminds me of the God of War Ascension trophy thing.  Same type of thing too, it's an M rated game for a reason...the sad thing is, since that got changed, this probably will too.  Actually, by the sound of it, it's already planned to be changed, whicg I think is stupid.  Probably some stupid 12 year old played Last of Us and tried to prank call the numbers and got scared or overstimulated by the phone sex line.

• Like 4

:rolleyes:

The Last of Us [M+]

• Blood and Gore
  • Intense Violence
  • Sexual Themes
  • Strong Language

According to the ESRB, M+ is for 17 and up in the United States. This is ignorant. If a lawsuit comes into play, I doubt Naughty Dog/Sony would lose... the game is rated M. Why would you call the number in the first place!? Look at GTA IV for example; It has so many numbers and sexual innuendos but no one complains about that. If the parents purchase an M games for their children then they should expect things like this.. mistake or not.

• Like 2

Reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on NES, there's a phone number in that game where if you call it, you would get some hints but 20 years later that same phone number is now a sexline. So now there is an official Nintendo game which has a phone number for a sexline, pretty funny if you think about it

Edited by Azaan60

Why is people crying over a number, even if its a sex number? grow up people. TLOU is rated M for mature.

People still buy buy Call of Turd erm, I mean Call of Duty for their kids etc, etc, It's the adults own damn fault. People should seriously stop being so ignorant. The TV these days is worse than any game content. Yet it still flies by.

I don't understand the problem. You call the number, it is a sex hotline, you then have 2 choices.

1. Hang Up

2. Pay the fee and love thyself

Not really seeing a problem here :S

You heartless bastard! Think of the poor children! After they've stabbed a clicker in the neck and splattered a guys head open with a baseball bat all they want to do is find easter eggs in their favorite game, and they find something as awful as this! Everyone knows sex is meant for adults, a child shouldn't have any part in it...  :rolleyes:

Parker

• Like 2

This, and the many comments following, made me :lol:

The world has become too intolerant. Law suits are thrown around these days for no good reason and people seem to be offended by the most minor of things. We cry about freedom of speech then turn around and cry about [some bull$hit here] when we don't like what someone else says. I think the world could use a good spanking.

• Like 2

I understand why they are fixing this but on the other hand why complain about it. Movies do it, games will still do it. Why complain or for that matter call it ? 

Simple fact, is that someone overreacted and now Naughty Dog has to change it before it gets out of hand.

I do believe this is a rated M game that warns people that there may be Sexual Themes. Unless I'm mistaken. I am not defending anyone, just simply saying this could have been overlooked, like really it's a game.

First of all, everyone crying about how someone with no life cried about these numbers is doing so based entirely on an assumption that someone actually cried about it. If you read the article, someone figured it out, sent the info to Kotaku who then confirmed it and asked Naughty Dog about it and ND then logically decided to fix it. Nobody complained!

Second, of course they would remove it! Some of you obviously aren't business men because if you were you would understand not wanting to have your company and your product associated with that kind of thing.

First of all, everyone crying about how someone with no life cried about these numbers is doing so based entirely on an assumption that someone actually cried about it. If you read the article, someone figured it out, sent the info to Kotaku who then confirmed it and asked Naughty Dog about it and ND then logically decided to fix it. Nobody complained!

Second, of course they would remove it! Some of you obviously aren't business men because if you were you would understand not wanting to have your company and your product associated with that kind of thing.

No offence, to what your saying. But being this judgemental is unfair (try to remember we are human), don't you agree.

As for some of us not being businessmen, you cannot say that with certainty now can you. The point is that it was harmless and yes of course Naughty Dog would hate to associated with this kind of thing but it could have been left alone. People are entitled to their own thoughts and opinions, it is freedom of speech so try and keep that in mind. Ok.

I'm just giving my opinion here as is everyone else, try not to judge us on it.

The point is that it was harmless and yes of course Naughty Dog would hate to associated with this kind of thing but it could have been left alone.

That's contradictory, if they don't want to be associated with it then why on earth would they leave it in? In this case Naughty Dog has taken the proper viewpoint that ignoring it is tantamount to condoning it, so they are removing it. I don't understand why people get upset about this, it is like the God of War trophy all over again where a bunch of people were upset that sony decided to change the name, the only difference here is that this was an absolutely honest mistake and was never meant to be in the game in the first place but still people are taking offense that they are removing it now that it's exposed. I don't get it at all.

ugh  :facepalm:

peoples are still think this is uncharted which is rated teen, the last of us is rated ( M ) by ESRB or ( 18 ) by pegi... it's a freaking mature game!! mostly for older peoples and hardcore gamers, whether this is is a mistake or not it's still suited the theme of the game, like everything looks like real life where you goes to a subway and see these phone numbers, " M rated mean there's violence, sex, suggestive themes, use of alcohol, blood and gore, bad language, gambling, discrimination " 

in GTA series you goes to the street and kill a bunch of cops and steal cars and have sex with hoes, open the radio and listen to a father shot his son just for the love of some sort of a rock band and peoples sell drugs on the streets, funny how no ones got offended by all that and yet calling it the best open world game ever and collect many prizes and awards for that even kids now playing it.

wonder why most good games get attacked by that just to put it down?? :hmm:

tomb rider with the rape scene and it's an M game bioshock infinite with the racist scenes, even RE5 with a white man is killing african peoples.... duh! he's in the middle of africa and the enemies there is no longer humans!!      

• Like 1