Recommendations on Underrated PS4 Exclusives to Platinum

PhantomFear94

Hey guys!  I'm primarily an Xbox gamer (https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/NoHeroes94) who considers himself a "completionist", meaning I try to get 100% achievements or trophies in every game. I don't believe in "console wars", so I got a PS4 around a year to play Sony's superior exclusive offering of exclusives for those shiny platinum trophies and a Nintendo Switch to enjoy those exclusives on. 

I played a lot of PS in 2018. However, since Spider-Man's DLC concluded over Christmas, I've barely had anything to play on it. I was going to get Days Gone, but after its mediocre critical reception, its plethora of bugs, and stupidly long story (70 hours!?!) for the platinum, I am working on Mortal Kombat 11 on XB1 instead (a decision I'm super happy I made after finding out its bricking PS4 consoles).

I am close to the end of my MK11 journey, and really want a new PS exclusive to sink my teeth into before RAGE 2 (or on NS too, just not XB1).  I would be interested in some recommendations on what exclusives to try and platinum. I've put "exclusives" because any cross-platform releases I will have likely played on Xbox. I've also put "underrated" because done a lot of the blue-chip releases people would typically recommend. Sorry for making this more difficult! Finally, as previously implied, I would be looking to platinum these games, so something super hard like Wipeout or GT Sport is a no go for me.  Edit: I have played (and loved) The Last of Us & Uncharted 4. However, both have super challenging DLC, so I will likely keep them on my backup account. 

Below is a list of what I've already done, thanks! 

PS Exclusives I have Platinumed (changed my name to "PhantomFear94", PSNprofiles hasn't synced accounts up properly yet https://psnprofiles.com/PhantomFear94)

- God of War

- Spider-Man

- Detroit: Become Human

- Heavy Rain 

- Shadow of the Colossus

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

- The Order: 1886

- Grim Fandango (since been released on NS)

- Hellblade (since been released on XB1/NS)

- NieR: Automata (since been released on XB1) 

- Undertale (since been released on NS)

Edited by phantomfear9494

Last of Us

It's not underrated but it is incredibly good and won multiple game of the year awards. 

I am not sure how long the rest of the games in the Uncharted series are to platinum as I haven't done so yet myself but I would recommend those since you've already done Lost Legacy.

Helldivers is fun

Matterfall is a sort of unknown ps4 exclusive that i haven't actually played yet

Shadow of the Beast is another one that ive been meaning to play but haven't yet

Alienation is another twin stick shooter

10 minutes ago, AmarisSkye said:

Last of Us

It's not underrated but it is incredibly good and won multiple game of the year awards. 

I am not sure how long the rest of the games in the Uncharted series are to platinum as I haven't done so yet myself but I would recommend those since you've already done Lost Legacy.

I should have mentioned that I've played TLOU (I personally consider it a top 5 game of all time) on the PS3, but don't have the energy to try and platinum it as the DLC is pretty challenging. Same goes for Uncharted 4. 

• Like 1

Days gone main story only took me 30 hours,  it has framerate issues but I only encountered 2 smaller bugs in my whole playthrough that didnt really affect me,  you can get 100 percent completion in 60 hours easily.  Honestly the reviews for this game are bad but I think most of the reviewers only played the first 5 hours which in my opinion is the only weak point in the game.  After the beggining of the game the story became one of my favorite stories I have played to date. 

It has its issues but it is great and one of the only open world games that I didnt want to just just end.

Also if you like Soulsborne games Nioh is amazing although it is on PC as well.

Until dawn is also a very good game if you want to look into that.

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 3

I second Gravity Rush. I had a lot of fun with that one.

I'd also add Until Dawn and Ni No Kuni 2. If you count PS2 classics, add Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Rogue Galaxy, Ape Escape 2, and Jak X Combat Racing. All underrated imo.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

10 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

I should have mentioned that I've played TLOU (I personally consider it a top 5 game of all time) on the PS3, but don't have the energy to try and platinum it as the DLC is pretty challenging. Same goes for Uncharted 4. 

The DLC is not needed for platinum but you may be referring to 100% instead.

Even for that, the DLC on The Last of Us is very doable with no boosting necessary (just plat naturally).  The trophy requirements are much easier on ps4 than they were on ps3 for TLOU.  Uncharted 2/3 DLC is just stupid.

Edited by djb5f

Days Gone - The story is on the longer side, but not 70 hours long. Also, it wasn't bricking consoles, just caused crashes with the 1.06 update, which has since been removed. The game seems to be in a better state with 1.07. That being said, it might be best to wait for some more bugs and glitches to be ironed out before picking it up. A lot of reviews are wrong about this game - it's no God of War, but it's still a good game.

Until Dawn

Infamous: Second Son

Ratchet & Clank

Steins;Gate 0 (I think this is on PC now)

These aren't underrated, but certainly worth playing:

Persona 5

Bloodborne

Nioh (initially a PS4 exclusive)

Another vote for Until Dawn, haha.

Im glad you have an interest in Quantic Dream, they truly are an amazing studio that gives notch notch production in their games. 

Even without PSVR I would recommend Tetris Effect as it oozez with style. Same with Rez Infinite. 

Shadow of the Colossus remake is awesome and though it's not out and anything can change, I would definitely keep an eye on Death Stranding

• Like 1

Knack and Knack 2.

No seriously, if you are looking for underrated PS4 exclusives, Fist of the North Star, Everybody's Golf and Ratchet and Clank are the top three that come to mind that it looks like you haven't played.

I will also back everyone else that has already mentioned Until Dawn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

The DLC is not needed for platinum but you may be referring to 100% instead.

Even for that, the DLC on The Last of Us is very doable with no boosting necessary (just plat naturally).  The trophy requirements are much easier on ps4 than they were on ps3 for TLOU.  Uncharted 2/3 DLC is just stupid.

I presumed the DLC was identical...what would the requirements be? Also I was indeed referring to the 100% not the plat, I know no games need DLC for the platinum unless they are re-releases or remasters that combined everything into one list. 

4 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Days Gone - The story is on the longer side, but not 70 hours long.

Oh really? http://www.powerpyx.com/days-gone-trophy-guide-roadmap/ Read that and it originally said 70 (or said it in one of the wiki posts on his page, if not the actual roadmap). 

If it was a 40 hour plat, I would have considered trying it. It doesn't look great, though.

19 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

Oh really? http://www.powerpyx.com/days-gone-trophy-guide-roadmap/ Read that and it originally said 70 (or said it in one of the wiki posts on his page, if not the actual roadmap). 

If it was a 40 hour plat, I would have considered trying it. It doesn't look great, though.

Yeah it's about a 60 - 70 hour platinum, but the story won't run for that long. You'll spend more time doing side activities. 

If you're not feeling the game then that's for you to decide. I just listed it because you were asking for underrated recommendations and this is definitely underrated.

22 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

I presumed the DLC was identical...what would the requirements be? Also I was indeed referring to the 100% not the plat, I know no games need DLC for the platinum unless they are re-releases or remasters that combined everything into one list. 

In the ps4 version, you only have to get 5 eliminations or putdowns on each map which is very manageable. In the ps3 version, you only need 3 combined eliminations/putdowns BUT you cannot die which is ridiculous - I imagine a lot of people had to boost that.