Criminally Underwhelming?

willmill97

Am I the one that felt very underwhelmed with this game? This game has a higher metacritic score than Tekken 6, and I don’t understand. I’ll start off with saying I liked the Jukebox option, and the fighting itself is stellar but still repetitious of other Tekken games. 

If you don’t want to read my boring long-ass rant, that’s fair enough. I don’t blame you, but nonetheless, here are my thoughts summed up:

1) Lackluster Roster - This has the lowest player count of recent games, while I liked some new arrivals such as Deathraven, it all just seems a bit jumbled? With some others just added in as DLC. It’s also insulting to put Mokujin in the character select when choosing left or right stance, but not actually playable. (Also I miss Wang.)

2) Weak Story - I’d already watched the story play through on YouTube, and while that was roughly 3 hours (which is already insulting), when I came to play it, skipping cutscenes it only took 1 hour! Possibly the shortest story mode from any AAA game? Injustice 2 has 76 fights in its story, whereas Tekken 7 has what, 14? Tekken 6, in my opinion at least, had a fun original take with the 3rd person adventure style mode, that was fun! But this game just went back to basics and 75% shorter. Which leads into..

3) Akuma As Heavy Story Focus - Really? They had to write Akuma into Tekken canon as the main boss? This is the equivalent of having Kratos in MK9 as the main villain, which would be ridiculous. Guest characters are nice to me, but don’t add them to canon! Are we going to Negan as the Tekken 8 antagonist? It just shows laziness that they couldn’t use an existing character or make a new one.

4) Characters and Modes Locked as DLC - firstly there’s 2 season passes which is already poor, but while I know we live in a DLC fuelled gaming world, charging extortionate prices for characters that were ALREADY ON DISC on all past games is insulting. Armor King and Julia were 2 of my favourites from past games, and now I have to pay for them? BS, they should be on disc! Just like the tekken bowl mode from T:TT! It would be fine to charge extra if the game already had a stacked roster and modes, but that’s not the case, clearly. 

5) No Innovation - Rage Arts are cool, but it’s just a copy of MK’s X-ray move and we all know it. Apart from that, the Jukebox was cool, but there’s really nothing else new in this game, that I can praise, and honestly it’s a shame.

In close, I didn’t hate this game, the fights are fine, but it could have had so much more effort put in, especially due to how long it took to come out after TTT2. It’s a shame as I’ve loved every main game since Tekken 4. 

Am I the only one that feels this way? Please do comment and let me know, I’m interested to hear all your thoughts! Peace.

Edited by willmill97
  • Like 1

Story modes in all fighting games are trash.  Never understood why anyone would want to play fighting games for story modes.  DLC unfortunately is here to stay.  At least it's not as bad as MK 11, which is trash as well.  MK 9 and 10 were OK.  Now, MK is going back to its ways of making trash fighting games for another decade :facepalm: No innovation?  Every fighting game has an idea from somewhere.  The X -ray system is essentially an super Street Fighter or KoF *shrugs*

I can’t say I know this game all too well since I played the old Tekken games and loved them. 

I watched the story on YouTube and I have to say, beyond the shiny graphics and flashy animation, Tekken 7 just looks shallow. 

It just feels like a cash in to cater to a more general audience, rather than for the Tekken fans who have stuck with the series for a very long time. I have always preferred Mortal Kombat over Tekken and occasionally Street Fighter, but the biggest benefit of Tekken 7 is it’s an easy platinum. 

Easier than Mortal Kombat 11 for that matter.

Edited by Spaz

The key systems of Tekken 7 are a general improvement over previous games in the series. The game retains everything made the series stand out in the past and none of the new systems feel overly intrusive. The skill floor has been lowered while the skill ceiling is still the highest out of any contemporary fighting game. It's also likely the most balanced fighting game out right now.

Tekken 7 is by far my favorite 3D fighter to both watch and play competitively, no recent releases even come close in my opinion. 

That being said, i would agree that post-launch support has been mostly underwhelming and there could be more returning/new characters instead of obviously paid inclusions. I don't much care for the story, never have never will in fighting games so i can't really say much about that.

Edited by Happy
  • Like 1

1. The small roster makes it easier to learn how to fight against characters. I think having a small roster makes it easier to learn the game IMO
  2. Agreed. Story was pretty rushed and not something i enjoyed. I wish they'd bring back arcade mode from Tekken 4 & 5 with rival battles as well in the next game.
  3. Reason Akuma was in this game was to test out if Street Fighter characters could work in a Tekken game, most likely just a preview of Tekken X Street Fighter, whenever that game comes out.
  4. I agree, it's stupid. Harada even said that if it was up to him he would make Legacy characters free. I only bought the first season pass when it first came out. Noctis and Geese were awesome and unique additions, but S2 is just horrible copy/paste. Negan might be worth a buy but not the other characters, for god's sake don't support this kind of BS.
  5. At least they're trying something new almost every game. Tekken 3 introduced improved sidestepping, Tag 1 introduced the tag mechanic, Tekken 4 introduced wall mechanics, Tekken 5 introduced the crush mechanic, Tekken 6 introduced bound moves and screws, Tag 2 introduced Floor Breaks, Wall Breaks and Balcony Breaks, and now T7 has Rage Arts/Drives. Can't wait to see what Tekken 8 has to offer.
  • Like 2

I suppose I'll write it as a numbered list to match your write-up

1) I wouldn't necessarily call it a luckluster roster but I do agree that they should've brought back most of the people from before (instead of you know making them dlc...). 

2) the story was indeed weak however I feel like I'm one of the few who enjoyed it. It was very short but it had a sweet ending that concluded the Mishima story line and so I'm curious to see where it goes from there. 

that battle at the volcano at the end was epic! And I was kind of sad heihachi was thrown off the volcano even though he was an asshole lol

3) I can see where people might have issue with this but I didn't mind it . He wasn't really intrusive or the main focus I should say. He felt just like any other fighter going after the Mishima family because of how they fucked everyone's lives up lol. 

4) yup no excuses here. As much as I love the game they won't get a penny out of me. 

5) no innovation feels unfair to say imo. Every character feels refined from their previous form in the previous Tekkens while retaining that core gameplay that we're used to. It's kind of hard to innovate really with fighting games because change too much and you'll really piss off old players who invested their time into characters and just want to pick up right where they left off in a new Tekken game. 

Overall I'd say that the game isn't perfect of course but it's one of my all time favourite Tekken game and of course my favourite fighting game. 

Btw as a side note, Tekken 6's campaign was really underrated imo. It was very refreshing and the story was longer and interesting as well. Reminded me of Tekken devil within in Tekken 5 with its 3D fighting. 

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

1) I don't think the rooster is lucking in anyway it's actually a pretty decent amount  of fighters, but the cross over characters such as Akuma & Geese seem out of place because they are from 2D fighters and namco wants to bring in more players from other fighting games.  It's all business in the end.

2) fighting games have always been competitive they never had a good story mode, MK gives you a semi decent story mode but nothing special.  And while tekken 6 had a longer story mode the camera controls were complete trash.

3) I agree Akuma should've been a special guest character or pre-order bonus and/or DLC, he was never necessary for the Tekken plot to begin with.

4) I wouldn't bother with the DLC's they're all trash except Julia Chang.

5) Rage-Arts could've been better but not necessary - it doesn't look good, maybe the 10 hit combo's would've been a better option if the damage out-put was reduced to 30%.

I haven't played the game yet myself but i've seen a lot of tournament video's on you-tube and i can proudly say that i probably never will play it, the game has become a joke.

My opinion - no offence to those who like it.

Edited by Jun_Kazama316

I am disappointed that so many of the featured/marquee characters involve what to me are just grotesque inputs. I understand they wanted to keep a "control continuity" with the original games of some of the guest characters. And the Mishimas have always had hard moves to pull off. But I don't think input difficulty for input difficulty's sake makes for a fun fighting game. It feels like Tekken 7 just lets itself go crazy with hard or strange controls.

I agree with nearly everything OP said. Ive platinumed every Tekken you can on PS3/PS4 and T7 is by far the most mundane. Something about ot screams cheap. Not as budget release as SC6, but still cheap. TTT2 runs circles around it in nealy every way. I even prefer the art style and graphics in TTT2 compared to T7, which should be impossible given theyre a generation apart.

Idk, Namco has def been knocked down pretty hard in the fighting game arena as of late.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9.5.2019 at 5:10 AM, Startyde said:

I agree with nearly everything OP said. Ive platinumed every Tekken you can on PS3/PS4 and T7 is by far the most mundane. Something about ot screams cheap. Not as budget release as SC6, but still cheap. TTT2 runs circles around it in nealy every way. I even prefer the art style and graphics in TTT2 compared to T7, which should be impossible given theyre a generation apart.

Idk, Namco has def been knocked down pretty hard in the fighting game arena as of late.

Yep, absolutely! TTT2 was so much better in many regards. The most striking aspect for me were the backgrounds. The ones from 7 looked so boring and plain. In TTT2 there was much more going on and it had more variety. Just think about the yacht or the flower field with the windmill.

• Like 1

akuma was added because theres suppossed to be a sequel to street fighter x tekken called tekken x street fighter, if they still plan on releasing that ...and i forget the actually story, i dont pay too much attention to it but wasnt he (akuma) suppossed to be a hired gun to kill off the Mishima family

the dlc is a ripoff, they want like 9bucks per character with no added trophies or you can buy the 2nd season pass which again seems like a slap in the face, games with multiple season passes can suck a fat one

i liked the game though but i wish the customization was like that of tekken 6 where certain items would give you extra attributes

• Like 1