Your Top 3 Emotional Moments in Gaming (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Top of my head.

1. Journey - the ending of the ice world

Spoiler

When you are moving the Traveler through the ice world and it gets harder and harder to walk. I remember thinking "I don't think there is an end to this world...I think I am going to die" 

I played Journey in one sitting and having my character walk slowly to his death was the most sad thing I have witnessed in a game ever. Then after you fall and the game goes to the next world where you are in the after life...I remember switch from sadness to elation.

Truly a beautiful moment.

FF13 - Sazh's ending

Spoiler

I know a lot of people don't like FF13 but the character of Sazh was one of my favourite characters in the whole series. I had lost my dad around the same time this came out and the ending where Sazh sees his son Dajh again (after looking for him the whole game) and he runs into his arms I began tearing up.

I may not have the same reaction if I played through it a second time, but at that moment it hit me just right.

Heavy Rain - Killing the Drug dealer.

Spoiler

My first time playing through this game I didn't use a guide or anything. When you get to the point where you have to kill or spare the drug dealer (to get another piece of the puzzle to save your son) I remember pressing :r2: and feeling guilty about killing this man but knew it must be done. Heavy Rain (much like Journey) was a game I played straight through (I did it in 2 sittings) and it was one of the only games I allowed myself to be immersed in. 

On my second playthrough of the whole game (which I did a month or 2 ago) I didn't feel that immersion again as I knew the ending and I did it while consulting a guide to get the plat quicker...but that first time was truly a great experience. 

• Like 3

Top Three out of 30 years of gaming? ?

Classic Gaming -

Final Fantasy 6 -

Spoiler

Your enemy Kefka wins! And he destroys the world in a gut wrenching sequence and your team is tossed to mortal death! (things do get better)

Playstation 1 Era -

Final Fantasy 7 -

Spoiler

Aerith's death. And then later realizing she also saved the world in that moment.

Modern Era -

NieR: Automata -

Spoiler

Ending E and the Credits. Oh boy the credits

. ?

• Like 1

On 26.7.2019 at 5:47 AM, Bushido7745785 said:

What moments brought you to tears?

The moment  John Marston  DIED was the ONLY game event ever which brought me REALLY to tears......

And well: After the little girl at the beginning of "Last Of Us" died - I stopped playing the game. My daughter had the same age those days and I couldn't go on...

Edited by maxijodi

All my top emotional moments probably all come from The Last of Us :D but I'll mix it up a bit:

The Last of Us:

At the very end of the story when Joel rescues Ellie from the hospital, escaping from the Fireflies...the heartstrings couldn't be pulled any tighter going through that moment. Never experienced a scene as powerful as this one in a video game. It's scenes like this that could make a video game truly remarkable, and one of the major reasons why TLOU gets all the recognition that it deserves. The bond between Joel and Ellie and the journey that is experienced with these two is nothing short of amazing.

Metal Gear Solid 3:

At the end of the game during your last fight with The Boss and her death. Knowing the fact that her true patriotism will always be overshadowed by what appears to be pure terrorism and that the generalized population, now and in the future, will never hear, see or know the actual truth of what she did for her country. This could arguably be a fate worse than death and that's what makes this truly sad.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus:

This one was a tossup between Final Fantasy VII's Aeris death scene, Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea's Elizabeth death scene and Wolfenstein 2's Caroline's funeral/being carried by BJ scene, as they all hit the feels pretty hard too. I chose to mention Wolfenstein 2 because I feel that this game as a whole stirred up a more variety of emotions compared to FFVII and Bioshock Infinite. I liked Caroline in The New Order (and what little of what was shown of her in TNC) and thought it really sucked she had to go out in a very heinous way. Never have I wanted to kill a villain in a game so badly as much as Frau Engel and it made axing that bitch at the end that much sweeter ?, ESPECIALLY if you manage to do it on Mein Leben. Also, there are plenty of comedic moments to be experienced in this game. For example, just Google my forum screen name. :awesome:

Oh man, only 3? lol

The Last of Us - Pretty much the whole game, but the end of the prologue was heartbreaking.  The end of the game was as well, but for the completely opposite reason. There were plenty of good emotional moments in between, but they saved the best for last... and first!

Assassin's Creed II - This one would fall under the 'awe' category.  By the time I finished the second game, I was deeply invested in the series, and to this day consider the second game one of my favorite all-time gaming experiences.  While the game was good as a whole, the ending solidified that.  What happens - what you see and experience - when you enter that final chamber.... there are no words.  It surprised me in ways most things can't, and haven't since I was a child.  I had to immediately watch it again on youtube and I was still in shock, lol.  If only the final installment of the trilogy hadn't been such a disappointment...

Final Fantasy VII - You can say what you want about this game, and considering it's over 20 years old, there's probably a lot of gamers out there with something to say, but I played this game in high school when it was brand new and Aeris' death hit me pretty hard, and I knew it was coming as a friend spoiled it for me!  It's one of the first times I can remember in my fairly long gaming history that a game actually delivered an emotional experience, and it was a doozie.

Honorable Mention: Silent Hill - Lisa's Death :(

1. Iconoclasts - Agent Black's final boss fight

Spoiler

Seeing how determined Agent Black is to fulfill her final order made me feel bad for her. Even in her monster form you can see that even though she's in excruciating pain, she won't stop fighting until Robin is dead (you try fighting someone while suffering from the worst migraine ever - 24/7, mind you -, having seeds shoved in your body that rapidly grow into trees because of your mutated blood and being forcefully transformed into a kaiju-like monster. Yep, doesn't sound very pleasant.) Also, learning about her backstory made the fight feel less like a boss fight and more like putting her out of her misery. In my opinion, Agent Black is one of the best and most tragic video game villains.

2. Claire - Saving everyone

Spoiler

The dialogues after you finish sidequests are very heartwarming and encouraging, especially the dialogues with the elderly patient and the librarian. The ending after you save complete all sidequests sends a great message too: "Even if you feel alone, there will always be someone there for you if you try to reach out for help".

3. Senua's Sacrifice - The ending

Spoiler

I felt so happy for Senua coming to terms with her lover's death and learning how to live with her mental illness. It's a bittersweet ending because the trip to Helheim was just in Senua's head, so the whole quest to save Dillion was basically for nothing, but without her journey she might have never learned to move on with her life and accept Dillion's death.

Edited by Sillshez15

The Last of Us - The Ending and What I Feel it Means

Spoiler

The ending of The Last of Us is an intentional mirror of the beginning. You start the game with a shot of Sarah's face, you play as her for a bit, you play as Joel carrying her in his arms and then she dies. Toward the end of the game Ellie "dies" then is resuscitated, Joel carries her in his arms, you play as her for a bit and the game ends with a shot of her face. The director has confirmed this was an intentional design choice. I feel it bookends the game very well and contributes heavily to the sense of closure I felt on Joel's part. He finally succeeded.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The Ending and the Accompanying Nostalgia Trip

Spoiler

During the epilogue there is a point where Nathan and Elena's daughter (I've forgotten her name, whoops) looks through a cupboard with trinkets from previous entries in the series. When you're holding a particular treasure the music changes to a track from the corresponding game. I found this moment deeply and warmly nostalgic as it reminded me of the good times I've had with the series.

Dragon Age II -

Spoiler

While certainly the worst entry in the series by far, it does contain my favourite character of all time (at least at the point of writing). Merrill is a character that I see quite a bit of myself in and can relate to quite a bit. She is incredibly socially awkward due to growing up somewhat secluded and has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, especially in regards to her people. I was able to relate to her on a basic level, but a piece of dialogue stood out to me. Another character asks her what she sees in her mirror and she replies, "Oh, nothing. Cracks mostly". This could be taken at face value, given that she is rather literal-minded and does own a cracked mirror. I was playing this at a time when I was fairly consistently depressed, and I ended up reading the line differently. I read it as subtle admission of feelings that lay hidden beneath the surface. It made me regard everything I knew about her character in a different context. A context that felt more familiar to me.  It was the first, and to date only, time I have connected with a character on a near 1 to 1 basis, I felt like reaching into the screen, giving her a hug and telling her "I know".

I don't mean to get too sappy on you folks. I'm very tired right now, but I hope I articulated that well enough.

Edited by Spaghetti_Grabsy
Making the format look less like the visual equivalent of herpes
  • Like 1

1. FFX Ending which made me sad, but also the FFX-2 Perfect ending which was a relief!

2. Tales of Xillia 2 both endings were sad, as there was no way both Elle and Ludger could survive

3. Lightning Returns ending- I was so glad Lightning finally gets to live a normal life

4. FF13-2 Ending, where Serah dies was sad. Serah reminds me of Kairi in KH, always being victim to something.

1 hour ago, Bushido7745785 said:

Thanks for the answers gang! We only cried for 20 minutes after we were done for recording! 1f602.png 

Don't know if it's the same for anyone else, but the usual soundcloud thing isn't there.

EDIT: Nevermind it just started working. :facepalm: 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

Good God, choose only 3!

1. Arthur's death in RDR 2. I was going to say Lee from Walking Dead, but I just felt the score playing and the whole journey I'd been on with Arthur made his end hit me more.

2. Ghost's death in MW 2. This one purely because for me it kind of came out of nowhere and also Ghost was one of my favourite characters.

3. Either ending of Deadlight.

The main ending where after spending the whole game searching for his wife and daughter, Randall unlocks his repressed memory that the last time he saw them his house was under siege by the Shadows and so he actually mercy killed both of them with his last two bullets.

Or the PC nightmare mode ending where you find out Randall is actually a deranged killer and all the people that died throughout the game on Randall's journey he actually murdered them all himself.

Edited by ForceGrip86

It's been said several times but:

Final Fantasy 3 SNES (VI):

Spoiler

The first time I played through, I didn't realize you had to wait for Shadow on the Floating Island or he'd die. He was my favorite character and I was really bummed when he died. Cid dying was also sad, but mostly because Celes' theme music is so melancholy. I used one of my three save files just for the Opera House scene as that was pretty emotional too. Locke's side story with Rachel...the end of the world....lot's of stuff.

Final Fantasy VII:

Spoiler

Aerith's death stunned me. I was in high school when it came out and played it on release. Outside of Cloud, Aerith was the character I used most and I did everything in the game to set up the love story between she and Cloud. I had no idea it was coming and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I actually replayed the save from right before it half a dozen times just so it would sink in. Not only did it hit me from a story level...but she was also one of my strongest characters so it hurt as far as party set up as well. This was the first O.O moment I had in games. 

The Last of Us:

Spoiler

The whole game really. His daughter dying in the epilogue set the tone...but Tess sacrificing herself, the Henry needing to shoot and kill Sam and then killing himself, Ellie almost being sexually assaulted, Joel sacrificing a chance at a cure to save Ellie...the whole thing was gut wrenching. This was the first game I played that was like that.

runners up: Banner Saga, Kingdom Hearts BBS, Blackwood Crossing and Valkyria Chronicles.

• Like 1