How do players run so fast?

Jam_Lime44

Hey I've chugging away at the daily challenges for awhile now. But when ever a "reach the goal as fast as possible" pops up I suck.

Some ppl get ridiculous times. I have no idea how you are supposed to run any faster than what the game allows.

Anything I've missed? Or does the game have hidden speed mechanics?

32 minutes ago, Jam_Lime44 said:

Hey I've chugging away at the daily challenges for awhile now. But when ever a "reach the goal as fast as possible" pops up I suck.

Some ppl get ridiculous times. I have no idea how you are supposed to run any faster than what the game allows.

Anything I've missed? Or does the game have hidden speed mechanics?

Spin jump as often as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

Gotta look up speedrunners when looking at these things. Techniques become mandatory like Brake Boosting and Roll Jumping. Check these out, even shows the controller inputs.

Awesome! I'll def watch these

• 2 weeks later...

Those videos might show the correct inputs & whatnot, but its not that easily executed

Brakeboosting is a technique that needs quite some finesse to do it right, basically you 'press' 'R2 + right + square', but at the exact moment of the move, you loosen everything except R2, when your character starts to 'brake' he kinda slides over to where he should stop, that moment, u should hold the 'down' button so you keep that speed for longer, jumping asap as you'll lose your speed less that way & said speed will hold during your jump

Then its for the majority just keep on jumping while holding down (rolljumping)

There's some other mechanics bothered by it as well, as well of methods to get 'brakeboosts' namely boneboosting (boosting off a bone) & skidboosting (boosting out of a perfect 'stop' without the requirement to have the 'run' animation)

Also, in a 'wind going up' section you should prioritize your boosts as these give significantly more speed

But i could actually go on & on about it, there's no need for that xD

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Frame Cancels, pause buffering and clipping are typically the three most common ways someone may get a huge lead in speedrunning platforming games.

Frame Cancels are what are exampled above basically starting a move then cancelling usually with another move very quickly. In most platformers this is used to give a temporary speed boost or to keep momentum while allowing one to change direction then what would normally be possible from the move. (SMM2 for exmaple has the ground pound cancel which allows quick downward movement but you can regain control midair with little movement loss.)

Pause buffering is a simple tactic it just basically relates to pressing the pause button rapidly to allow one to maneuver or change button presses to perform some moves that might otherwise be impossible normally. (Basically your pausing and unpausing fast enough to slow down the game, it's a tactic used in mostly platformers and shumps where precision and timing is key.)

Clipping is a universal term for any action that allows one to pass through what normally may be an inanimate object or invisible barrier/hitbox. These can be done to clip through walls, normally impassable enemies or sometimes even through the interactions to keep your speed.

For example sometimes doing a cancel on a move will allow your to pass through hooks that normally a character would auto grab on. This can be useful as sometimes those random placements can actually slow you down more then just landing on the flat ground even if they seem to lead the right way. A pretty common form of clipping is on corners of terrain. (For example in Super Mario games hitting a corner of terrain at the right pixel allows one to do what's called corner boosting. Basically you clip into the last part of the terrain but since the game recognizes only the terrain should be there it pushes you ahead a bit to move your character out of the terrains location.)

The best one can do is try a bunch of these and find what works for you, everyone is different and one play style might be better for one speedrunner then another is. For me for exmaple I'm better at clipping. But some cancels while I can do them in games do give me trouble due to my carpel tunnel on hitting them the exact frames. Just keep trying and I'm sure you'll get there.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, PilloTheStar said:

My fingers are too slow to master brake boosting and junk, so the only way I'll ever get a platinum is in the as far as you can or lum collection challenges.

Its like the main Rayman and the Challenge Levels are an entirely different game.   First as mentioned above, spin jumping is faster than running, and spin jumping into wind is usually enough to hit gold first time on the timed challenges.  Its not hard.  I hold R2 and stick right, and use my thumb to press Square, then roll my thumb onto the x with the timing i need.   By the time i hit 5000 points, i was hitting speedrun golds usually in the first couple tries as i finally got the stages learned well enough.  I never used an advanced technique once.  The only thing i struggled with was murphys dungeon with lums.  Could take me a hour.  So once a week i took a silver on that rather than waste my time.

With the tower speed runs there are always springboards that you can downslam, or jump up to and strike that will save seconds with a shortcut, and put you in the top 5% without much effort.  Even spinning while running is fast enough for the tower golds with a shortcut thrown in.  With the pit i just like to drop at speed and see what works and where to go.  It may take a dozen tries, but it never seems to be very hard to get gold.

Ultimately you just need to keep playing/practicing and you will get better.  If you are enjoying a session, i d push for a gold in a speedrun, and once you do it once you can do it most every time.

Edited by maisie666
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is really difficult the achieve a Gold or sometimes even a Silver medal. I consider myself quite decent with platformer games like Rayman but holy cow... the grind is gonna take month (years??!) if sometimes a bronze is the best I can do after quite a few tries. I think most players nowadays are crazy veterans who know all the pro-tricks. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7.09.2022 at 5:43 PM, OBSTINATIO said:

It is really difficult the achieve a Gold or sometimes even a Silver medal. I consider myself quite decent with platformer games like Rayman but holy cow... the grind is gonna take month (years??!) if sometimes a bronze is the best I can do after quite a few tries. I think most players nowadays are crazy veterans who know all the pro-tricks. 

Honestly i don't know what you are talking about. I hit constant golds since playing day 1. It's not hard at all to get them.

Maybe you are doing something wrong if silver is difficult. Would you share your normal daily gameplay here?

20 hours ago, WiktorM101 said:

Honestly i don't know what you are talking about. I hit constant golds since playing day 1. It's not hard at all to get them.

Maybe you are doing something wrong if silver is difficult. Would you share your normal daily gameplay here?

Well you could befriend me and watch my ghost..

I do achieve Gold from time to time but not very often. I don't know if you still play the game nowadays but from what I have learned since you finished the trophy in 2020 the playerbase became a lot more hardcore. I played the game on PS3 when it just came out too and back than even diamond cups had been possible sometimes. 

36 minutes ago, OBSTINATIO said:

Well you could befriend me and watch my ghost..

I do achieve Gold from time to time but not very often. I don't know if you still play the game nowadays but from what I have learned since you finished the trophy in 2020 the playerbase became a lot more hardcore. I played the game on PS3 when it just came out too and back than even diamond cups had been possible sometimes. 

If it's a case of lower playerbase wait until new players come from ps extra this month. Might be easy again 

I’m playing too at the moment and I rarely get golds. I might if I put a good hour/2 into it but I just take the silver most days. The speed challenges I’m lucky with bronze they’re impossible at the moment. I didn’t know all the tricks from above but I don’t really understand them so think I have to accept this game is going to take me a year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It became a lot easier since the game joined the PS-Plus-Extra catalogue. I reached gold within a few minutes for the last 10 days. Around 7000 players participate every single day atm. I think it is now or never if you want to start or finish this game. Once only the pro players play the daily challenges it will take forever to achieve the trophy. 

Edited by OBSTINATIO

One trick that is easy to learn is when you run by holding R2 and do the spins by pressing square (to make you go even faster) do the jump asap after the square (where that is possible and where there is enough space of course). The character jumps a lot higher using that trick and you get more time.

You can also start a level like this to get a starting boost, hold R2 run, spin and jump.

Edited by elisir1986
  • Like 1