Free for PS+ October

othmaneAD

For non-Americans who don't know baseball, it is still worth a play.  The game is really well done, and great reviews by critics and players alike.

I was never familiar with the sport of DiscJam (I know, it's made up) but that never prevented me from giving it a try on PS Plus.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

For non-Americans who don't know baseball, it is still worth a play.  The game is really well done, and great reviews by critics and players alike.

I was never familiar with the sport of DiscJam (I know, it's made up) but that never prevented me from giving it a try on PS Plus.

I agree with you. I'm from Turkey and baseball is nowhere near popular in my country. Our people only buy baseball bats to just beat up people and wear NY:Yankees, LA: Dodgers and NY:Mets t-shirts without knowing those are Major League teams lol. I started following up baseball when I first played MLB The Show 16 and then played 14 The Show and 15 The Show on PSVita and now I'm following the highlights and even watch matches if I can (though they take around nearly 2.5-3 hours I can't watch all the games fully). Trying out this game is really worth a shot though I'm concerned about reaching to Championship Series in Ranked Seasons but we'll see.

• Like 3

Coming from a country with a big baseball tradition and one of the few South America countries in which baseball is the national sport instead of football, I've to say that I'm barely interested in this game at all. 

No doubt this MLB The Show games from Sony are pretty good in terms of quality, but not only I'm not really interested in sport simulation games, I also find baseball itself to be kind of boring? I mean, sure some people get a huge enjoyment from it, but I'm not one of them.

That being said, a free game is a free game. Of course I'll be claiming it, but I really don't see myself playing it at all. :P

On 10/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, PerryToxteth said:

Also, Baseball is the only sport that is a science. Whether it's Little League or MLB, the game is played essentially the same way, using the same formula.  When a ball is hit, every fielder is moving to their correct spot (covering a base, backing up, etc.) in all levels of baseball. Generally, there are no hidden plays. For instance, in football, you have no idea if the WR ran the correct route, which OL didn't cover his assigned blocking space, etc. When you coach kids in Little League, you are teaching them the same position responsibilities that they can see in Major Leaguers. 

It's America's Game, and was the first sport that gained national prominence with geographical cultural identity. Football was still arguing about rules when Fenway was built. GIs in WWII would use baseball passwords bc every American boy would know the teams that played in Philly in the 1940s.

Watch Ken Burns' "Baseball" if anyone really wants to understand what the game has meant to generations of Americans. 

I know the damn game. Watched documentaries on how Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball way back when. Watched footage on how Barry Bonds and other superstar athletes got away with juicing the ball, it was only until after Bud Selig, then MLB Commissioner, starting cracking down on performance enhancing drugs and the entire BALCO scandal fell through that baseball starting issuing real suspensions and bans on athletes.

Alex Rodriguez getting suspended for over an entire year in the game of baseball is probably the most glaring and famous example. The most recent example that still sticks in my mind is the suspension of Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners last year. 

I guess I'm partial to the Steroid Era because I grew up in that period and I consider the superstars then to have had more flair and personality than the stars today.

Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Aaron Judge, Manny Machado and Jose Altuve are all standout players who greatly excel in their strengths. But to me they're just boring. Maybe that's just a generational thing since I thought Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell were absolutely amazing. Jose Altuve is probably the best all around of the bunch, can hit for average, home runs, run the bases extremely well, and is an outstanding fielder. Mike Trout is another strong candidate but he has sacrificed getting as many base hits and base steals in place of the home run ball and making pitchers pitch more pitches so he generates more walks.

There are so many statistics in the game of baseball that is tracked that I think it's next to impossible to know every single one of them. That's one thing that has stuck with me the most, with another being that the game of baseball has a completely different playing field as opposed to football (soccer), American Football and basketball that has two teams running from one end of the field to the other. Cricket is the closet thing to baseball, but I never had any interest in learning about the sport so it's pretty much a pass.

Edited by Spaz

On 10/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

How much time it takes for the first 4-5 trophies? I don't want to waste time downloading almost 60 GB of a game, since my internet speed connection is 3,7 mb/s lol

for the easiest (quickest) 4-5 trophies?  I dunno, maybe 10-15 minutes?

On 24.9.2019 at 11:41 PM, othmaneAD said:

As stated in the state of play, we'll be getting this game next month as part of PS+ offering. What do you think?

Not interested. They should not give sports games with ps plus in my opinion.

Edited by Wikkibur
Error