List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

Undead Wolf

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

They're characterized the same in the japense version of TWEWY2, there's no 180 degree change in the English version.

Kadokawa has offices in New York City, that's where they're doing the english translations.

Well tell that to the people who own the game in English and Japanese and are saying that there is in fact differences.

They allowed companies to facilitate their translations in the past, but when you have companies like Seven Seas that self censor manga to not offend the snowflakes of the world, it results in lower sales overall.  Cut out the middle man, do it right yourself and people will pay for it, which is what Kadokawa have realised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

It's certainly a matter of opinion on if there are major differences.

Also Seven Seas isn't owned by Kadokawa, it's Yen press that's their western publishing label.

Do you just deny reality to suit your needs?

Once again I was using an example which seems to have gone way over your head.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Because the whole reason why nobody does literal translations is because those wind up destroying context.

If you're trying to convey something funny that happens in the script and it doesn't come across that way due to being a slave to Japanese sentence structure, then you failed to give proper context to the audience by being linguistically correct. There's a ton of jokes that don't work especially if they involve rhymes since the english translation won't rhyme with the original japanese words since they sound very different. People shouldn't need to have a cliffnotes book just to understand two people talking.

As it stands, you need a "cliffnotes book" to understand these inane memes. I seriously doubt the original Japanese text contains those.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Well it's a fact that in any script in any medium, that there's lines that are there just to fill time. It could be movies, books, or anything.

That's just a fact of script writing, not every line is intended to be gold. A story is supposed to rise and fall.

I don't think any sensible person would disagree with what you wrote here but that's not a counter argument to what has been said about the changes.

I've yet to play a bad game that was saved by it's story. But I've played very good games with awful stories like Monster Hunter.

In a game, the story exists due to the gameplay not opposite.So if the changes don't affect the gameplay it's really minor.

This is 100% subjective. Different strokes for different folks.

Well it's a fact that in any script in any medium, that there's lines that are there just to fill time. It could be movies, books, or anything.

That's just a fact of script writing, not every line is intended to be gold. A story is supposed to rise and fall.

And in order for someone to understand those rises and falls you have to read all that shit.

Let's make an example, let's take The Walking Dead, i'll try to do this without spoilers mostly for other people since you really don't seem to care much and i'm not even sure if you read my massive post about the contextual problems with the dialogue changes.

At it's core The Walking Dead is about survivors, trying to get through life in a zombie apocalypse. I think we can all agree on that.

In order for us to care about this zombie apocalypse, you need characters, otherwise there's no need to fear the zombie apocalypse.

For me, The Walking Dead in its game, comic and tv series forms, relies on its character interactions in order for people to be interested week by week.

What you're arguing for is for everyone to shut up, shoot zombies, and only say what is absolutely necessary

Now while that may work for a game for people who don't want story or characters, but that certainly will not hold up in a book or film like you suggested.

Most people want to care about the characters, grow to like them and even see them as people. The closer your emotional bond to a character or story, the harder those things hit when something good or bad happens to them. If someone doesn't care for the characters or story, what need would there be for someone to keep coming back to it?

The way your explaining yourself makes it seem as thus:

The tv series 'Friends' should just be comedy and have no character interaction involving relationships.

VN's shouldn't exist because they solely rely on good story telling, character interaction and dialogue.

Every character in all mediums should only ever say what needs to be said without flavour dialogue (which is kinda going against your argument for the changes in NTWEWU)

Telltale games are a waste of time because story and context don't matter.

RPG's in general should just have characters that say nothing to each other, and only fight because 'no one cba to read that shit'.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Honestly if they changed sus to suspicious nobody would have made a big deal over it.

But because it's a meme it's been blown out of proportion, but people deem it cringe which also in itself a meme.

No dude it's because its unprofessional. Like it's not an accurate translation. Has nothing to do with it being amogus related.

Edited by The Titan
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

snip

So the main counter argument is that we have a wooden translation devoid of personality that is read with no context. Ok I can accept that as a reasonable counter point. I can't respond further since I haven't played the game yet. Maybe people who have can enlighten us since you haven't played it either(at least based on your psn profile here so I could be wrong on that).

• Like 1

I had to remove a lot of off topic back and forth about whether or not VNs are games... Let's try and stay on topic, and if you can't, don't post at all. This clutters the thread and makes it difficult to follow. If you want to discuss something like that, take it to another thread.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, Dark_Overlord said:

Wonder if Japans opposition to the censorship has anything to do with this?

Very little if you had bothered to read the games list. Nintendo handhelds have always done gangbusters in Japan.

Just now, majob said:

Very little if you had bothered to read the games list. Nintendo handhelds have always done gangbusters in Japan.

But a clean sweep?  Sony have pretty much always had games in the charts.  Playstation don't give a shit about Japan anymore and it seems like Japan is returning the favour.

• Like 1