Will I like this game?

AJ_Radio

2 hours ago, Eshaal said:

This game is a technical masterpiece. The world created by Rockstar is breathtaking. You could spend hours just wandering, however if you want to Plat the game, then prepare for a long slog, this game will test your patience, and if you have a short fuse, then RDR2 plat is not for you.

I often find that playing off and on for time consuming games like this is the best approach. Trying to get everything done in under a month is probably not good for your health.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is perhaps my favorite game of this generation. I easily could of done everything in under two weeks if I rushed through all the content. But I already took several months in between play sessions, so I ended up spending basically a whole entire month (28 - 30 days) to get all the trophies. I went from 30 some hours to over 135 hours in that time span. Still quite a lot, but I didn't rush through the game.

I hope that Red Dead Redemption 2 offers some of that experience. But everybody says it's over twice as long, from 250 hours to well over 300+ hours like you said. It's definitely possible to get the platinum in 100 - 150 hours, but you're probably skipping a lot of content to get the trophies as quick as possible.

Definitely longer than Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V. Probably one of the longest open world platinums yet.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

.summary...this game is like jimi hendrix...you either love or hate it...

in that case, much like the musical wizardry of Hendrix, I love it!  I have only played multiplayer so far (but really more like single player free roam in multiplayer), but I hit Level 50 today and I am a bit sad I already did.  There is so much to do between the different roles of Collector (my favorite), Trader, Bounties, Moonshine, and then just exploring, hunting, crafting, side missions, and a story within MP.

I kind of wish there was a trophy for Rank 100 and this is from someone who was bored quickly of GTA IV and V multiplayer (even with heists).

And I still have a full single player campaign and SP open world to explore and I already feel like I got a full game out of it.

To the OP, that you loved the first one and this one is considered by critics and fan base alike as the must play title of the ps4, yet you are thinking of skipping it is beyond bizarre to me.  When trophies have that much power over you, it is not a good thing IMO.  Play the game and if you don’t feel like completing for 100%, that is ok lol.

Edited by djb5f

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

in that case, much like the musical wizardry of Hendrix, I love it!  I have only played multiplayer so far (but really more like single player free roam in multiplayer), but I hit Level 50 today and I am a bit sad I already did.  There is so much to do between the different roles of Collector (my favorite), Trader, Bounties, Moonshine, and then just exploring, hunting, crafting, side missions, and a story within MP.

Feels completely random to bring up Jimi Hendrix, but anyway...

Do they have the showdowns from the original Red Dead Redemption in the sequel? That was one of my favorite parts in the multiplayer, having a classic showdown like in the movies/shows then going on a regular multiplayer match with others.

Can't say much about the rest of the multiplayer since I haven't played it.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

To the OP, that you loved the first one and this one is considered by critics and fan base alike as the must play title of the ps4, yet you are thinking of skipping it is beyond bizarre to me.  When trophies have that much power over you, it is not a good thing IMO.  Play the game and if you don’t feel like completing for 100%, that is ok lol.

If I wanted to go full on trophies I would stack every easy game out there and buy up all the different stacks from the other regions. I'm not that crazy over them.

Taking your time with these longer games is the best approach. I loved The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt so much that I just kept on playing, even though that is indeed a 100+ hour platinum with 15 - 30 hours from the two DLC packs. Nowhere close to being on the Fastest Achievers leaderboard even if I just started playing from that one month period where I did get all the trophies, but I don't care about speed running in games like that. I've already mentioned before how pointless that is in my opinion.

It took several years to make Red Dead Redemption 2, so you might as well soak in the atmosphere and setting and enjoy the game for what it is, taking your time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I hope that Red Dead Redemption 2 offers some of that experience. But everybody says it's over twice as long, from 250 hours to well over 300+ hours like you said. It's definitely possible to get the platinum in 100 - 150 hours, but you're probably skipping a lot of content to get the trophies as quick as possible.

Honestly as I already mentioned I got the plat in 150 hours, of which 50 were spent online, and I didn't use a guide and didn't skip any content. I have no idea why it takes some people 250+ hours, unless they are just idling a lot or drinking coffee and marinating meat everytime they camp ?

Edit: I mean I didn't use any guides during my story playthrough. I used collectible guides afterwards though.. ?

Edited by Arcesius

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Honestly as I already mentioned I got the plat in 150 hours, of which 50 were spent online, and I didn't use a guide and didn't skip any content. I have no idea why it takes some people 250+ hours, unless they are just idling a lot or drinking coffee and marinating meat everytime they camp 1f602.png

Edit: I mean I didn't use any guides during my story playthrough. I used collectible guides afterwards though.. 1f642.png

You can get The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt platinum quicker than 100 hours without a guide in hand really. Like most open world games you can idle a lot and just run around doing things that aren't necessary.

I don't like padding in a lot of open world games, especially Ubisoft games since they are the worst offenders of that. But I hope Red Dead Redemption 2 does offer some content not just in the multiplayer but also in the single player that is worthwhile. Not sure if it has the same scale as Grand Theft Auto V, that game has thousands upon thousands of lines of dialogue from pedestrians and the open world is huge enough to make it feel like you're never going to run out of things to look at.

Recently platted this gem and here’s some small thoughts:

- Story: 10/10 masterpiece. Loved everything about it. Characters, story, side stories, the graphics, the world. It beat witcher 3 in every aspect for me.

- Getting all animals/skinning trophies. One of the first times ever I quitted a 100% this broke me mentally it was beyond horrible. Came back a year later and just went for it. After that the plat is easy but LONG!

- 90x Challanges took me around 5 days. There not hard just annoying. GTA Series on youtube has every challange catagory and how to complete them. This made it an easy 3/10 for me.

- Gold medals 70x: EASY! After the patch you keep your horse, weapons, character stats and every mission got you decked out with tonics to refil deadeye(slowmo marker for easy headshots). The first 60 took me around 10-12 hours. After that it was a bit of searching to get the easy ones but should be doable by anyone.

Multiplayer: 5/10 for the 3x MVP as its random. I got all 3 doing horse races lots of people are beyond stupid on those. Getting level 50 is tedious if you want it fast. I got the collector role and just ran around the map collecting everything for massive xp. Took me 5 days for the whole MP. But it was boring as hell.

TLDR; story amazing. But be prepared it took me a long month for the rest and I’m pretty fast on most of my games.

Edited by Deluziion90
  • Like 3

Personally it is one of the most boring games I've ever played.  1st off the gameplay is absolutely horrible.  The character movement and mechanics feel very restricted and tedious to grasp.  The cover system sucks about as bad as a cover system can.   I find the story boring as all hell but that is just me I realize i'm not a story guru and never will be.  Playing games is all about gameplay to me and that is the main reason I can't ever get behind any Rockstar game is because they shoot for realism as the expense of clunky character movement and control.   The online is about as boring as life would have been back in 1850 so if you want to experience the boredom of life during that era than this game nails it down.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 4:01 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Recently platted this gem and here’s some small thoughts:

- Story: 10/10 masterpiece. Loved everything about it. Characters, story, side stories, the graphics, the world. It beat witcher 3 in every aspect for me.

- Getting all animals/skinning trophies. One of the first times ever I quitted a 100% this broke me mentally it was beyond horrible. Came back a year later and just went for it. After that the plat is easy but LONG!

- 90x Challanges took me around 5 days. There not hard just annoying. GTA Series on youtube has every challange catagory and how to complete them. This made it an easy 3/10 for me.

- Gold medals 70x: EASY! After the patch you keep your horse, weapons, character stats and every mission got you decked out with tonics to refil deadeye(slowmo marker for easy headshots). The first 60 took me around 10-12 hours. After that it was a bit of searching to get the easy ones but should be doable by anyone.

Multiplayer: 5/10 for the 3x MVP as its random. I got all 3 doing horse races lots of people are beyond stupid on those. Getting level 50 is tedious if you want it fast. I got the collector role and just ran around the map collecting everything for massive xp. Took me 5 days for the whole MP. But it was boring as hell.

TLDR; story amazing. But be prepared it took me a long month for the rest and I’m pretty fast on most of my games.

Pretty much spot on. The only difference for me was that I did all the online trophies, including Rank 50, on the beta online. There were no roles back then, and trust me, that was boring! I now find the online very enjoyable, especially since the platinum. My daily challenge streak is 10 days, never been this long.

Anyone thinking of RDR2 Platinum needs to be prepared for the ultimate mental test IMO. I have the patience to watch Test Cricket (5 days), but boy oh boy, the hunting in RDR2 challenge anyone including those with long fuses! Zoologist, Skin Deep, and It's Art - triple terror trophies! I spent 2 weeks searching for the perfect 3 Star Robin. 2 weeks for the West Bull Moose. I don't know if these hunts are easier after almost 18 months of the release, but back then hunting was tough as hell. 

I managed to get all but 2 trophies within 3 months of day one purchase, but took a 6 month break before going for Best in the West, and Gold Rush. I completed 48 Replay using stock setting, and as you said, the ability to use upgraded gear was a god send from R* at the right time other wise I was dreading the final 22 Gold missions using stock gear. 

RDR2 Platinum is a test in mental, physical, and gaming endurance. Hence why I believe RDR2 is one of the most difficult platinums out there.                

Edited by Eshaal
Extra info

25 minutes ago, Eshaal said:

Pretty much spot on. The only difference for me was that I did all the online trophies, including Rank 50, on the beta online. There were no roles back then, and trust me, that was boring! I now find the online very enjoyable, especially since the platinum. My daily challenge streak is 10 days, never been this long.

My challenge streak is currently 48 days and active.  I already have all online trophies but can’t stop going lol.  The roles are great.

2 minutes ago, djb5f said:

My challenge streak is currently 48 days and active.  I already have all online trophies but can’t stop going lol.  The roles are great.

Wow. 

Roles are great. I stopped at Rank 50 in Jan 2019, and now back online since the plat, and rank 65. I maxed out Collector role (but never got a complete set). Now working on Trader and Bounty. 

Though my story progression is stuck at 77%. [I have complete the original 8 online story missions].

As much as people don't like going after animals and the Zoologist trophy in question as I've heard many times on this game, I think it will be somewhat enjoyable for me.

I thought going after those big hulking grizzly bears in the original Red Dead Redemption in the Tall Trees section was pretty fun. Rockstar probably knew that so they threw in a trophy for killing a bunch of grizzly bears with a knife.

11 hours ago, Eshaal said:

Anyone thinking of RDR2 Platinum needs to be prepared for the ultimate mental test IMO. I have the patience to watch Test Cricket (5 days), but boy oh boy, the hunting in RDR2 challenge anyone including those with long fuses! Zoologist, Skin Deep, and It's Art - triple terror trophies! I spent 2 weeks searching for the perfect 3 Star Robin. 2 weeks for the West Bull Moose. I don't know if these hunts are easier after almost 18 months of the release, but back then hunting was tough as hell. 

I managed to get all but 2 trophies within 3 months of day one purchase, but took a 6 month break before going for Best in the West, and Gold Rush. I completed 48 Replay using stock setting, and as you said, the ability to use upgraded gear was a god send from R* at the right time other wise I was dreading the final 22 Gold missions using stock gear. 

RDR2 Platinum is a test in mental, physical, and gaming endurance. Hence why I believe RDR2 is one of the most difficult platinums out there.               

I did over 9000 hours on Runescape, so I know full well what a monotonous grind feels like.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is definitely not a game to race through. But I generally don't associate difficulty with sheer length. Something that takes 200 hours isn't necessarily tough if it's something you can do fairly easy over and over.

Star Ocean 4 in comparison is a much longer platinum, and there are missables you can fuck yourself over a few hundred hours in. That is devastating. At least with RDR 2 nothing is that missable, it's a vast open world that takes a long time to finish.

Edited by Spaz