NYM Hardcore: The Help and Tips Page

MiloFPS

Hello everyone, 

Besides the general advice for this game mode, I would like some chapter specific advice, and for this page to be where you can submit tips for one of the hardest games ever made, and one of the rarest currently obtainable platinums. 

After 19 attempts I have never made it past chapter 8, partly from stupid mistakes, bad luck and not being physically skilled enough (but strangely never by glitching). I would like to ask everyone who has completed this mode how did you manage it?  Many people who do this are so good as gamers they don’t appreciate how hard some parts are for normal ability players like me. 

I will start with some tips for those struggling. 

Chapter 6 part 2. Solution: as soon as you take the gun, walk to the first cover and enable bullet time. Move forward and shoot the first two as quick as you can. 

Then shoot the guy bleeding out then blind fire the next one and use bullet time on the other. Switch arm and use the TPS cover tick to get the third and final one. 

My tip for chapter 7: many struggle with the Molotov section. Shoot the nearest guy, then vault over cover and run to the stairs. Use bullet time, Kill the guy running at you and the two on the favela shack opposite. Run along and cartwheel for the painkiller. BT again, kill the next three. Then it’s easy to finish from there. 

My question:

Can anyone suggest the best method for chapter 8? I use too many PKs at the starcase just after killing the rocket guy. It is impossible to not be flanked and shot at from 90 degrees and lose at least 2 PKs How do you super gamers do it? All you can do it shoot dodge. 

Chapter 8. The sniper always shoots me when running from one tombstone to the other. I always run to the nearest one and I know from other difficulties you can’t time it, he just shoots whenever. 

Chapters 1-7 are easily mastered for me and many others but 8 is too hard for me. 

Edited by MiloFPS
  • Like 1

General advice: You can always play the chapters you are struggling with on normal (nymhc is set to normal difficulty) until you get the hang out of it. Use bullet time frequently and try to „spray your shots“ rather than holding down the shooting button. Good luck with this fantastic game :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasko_SOA said:

General advice: You can always play the chapters you are struggling with on normal (nymhc is set to normal difficulty) until you get the hang out of it. Use bullet time frequently and try to „spray your shots“ rather than holding down the shooting button. Good luck with this fantastic game :)

That does help generally but is I have NEVER. EVER been killed by that church sniper on any of my 4 playthroughs. Those instant death moments with the sniper. Is that pure luck or is there a trick? I’m asking for tips on insta death sections that replaying many times will not help with. 

Edited by MiloFPS

I remember getting insta killed by that sniper guy once,  really pissed me off. If you search speedrun on YouTube of this game they have an interesting way of doing it.  In fact all I did was watch a fair few of those videos in my spare time to get kinda familiar.  

This trophy is not easy but it isn't too hard either.  I think out of my 18 attempts I only got past chapter 8 3 times.  Chapter 8 and 6 probably the hardest for me.  

Edited by closertim

I don't think I died in ch8 in any of my NYMHC runs, the tip here is after the first automatic cover, wait until Passos gives you distraction then move to the next cover. take care of the guys coming down the stairs I'd worry more about those. for the third cover you don't have to take it wait for Passos' signal and run quickly to the left side gravestone but don't take cover just flank the sniper from below the window and you should be able to get a sneaky headshot before he realizes it. 

Edited by ahmedelebiary

4 hours ago, closertim said:

I remember getting insta killed by that sniper guy once,  really pissed me off. If you search speedrun on YouTube of this game they have an interesting way of doing it.  In fact all I did was watch a fair few of those videos in my spare time to get kinda familiar.  

This trophy is not easy but it isn't too hard either.  I think out of my 18 attempts I only got past chapter 8 3 times.  Chapter 8 and 6 probably the hardest for me.  

I’ve learned to mastered the levels but still die because of random variables like a glitch LS mode death (where you kill the guy and the cinematic plays but you stay in LS) or the IT guy is killed by a grenade. When I watch a video and copy them it never works the same way. 

I’m so sick this game now I don’t even enjoy it anymore. just hearing the dialogue makes me rage, I know it all off by heart. I think I’ll have to give this one up.

To anyone attempting it, good luck but just give up if your sanity goes and you don’t enjoy it anymore. 

8 hours ago, MiloFPS said:

I’ve learned to mastered the levels but still die because of random variables like a glitch LS mode death (where you kill the guy and the cinematic plays but you stay in LS) or the IT guy is killed by a grenade. When I watch a video and copy them it never works the same way. 

I’m so sick this game now I don’t even enjoy it anymore. just hearing the dialogue makes me rage, I know it all off by heart. I think I’ll have to give this one up.

To anyone attempting it, good luck but just give up if your sanity goes and you don’t enjoy it anymore. 

That's too bad,  this game is pretty fun.  I reckon just stick at it but only do 1 run a day,  maybe 2. 

15 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Has anyone tried playing the game digitally from SSD to see if that minimized the issues?

yes, and encountered 3 run-ending glitches...chap. 7...door closed, unable to progress...chap. 12, heavy didn't spawn in police offices...chap. 13...game froze at end of level...could be wrong but i think the issues are universal...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i think the issues are universal...

Well damn. This is at the top of my PS3 backlog along with Far Cry 2. Was hoping a simple hardware upgrade would improve performance.

If anyone has tried running the game under different revisions (1.00, 1.01, etc), I'd be interested to hear if they had any positive outcomes.

14 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Build your timer up in the first 9 chapters. This gives you options for slightly safer strategies later. 

When you die in a spot, don't make the same mistake twice. That is all.

That’s not very helpful. Chapter 6 part 2 I have the muscle memory but I got out of cover to take the last guy and switched shoulders so I can get the first shot then my gun didn’t fire when the recticule was on him and I died. I think Max was turning around. 

Point is is it’s not about mistakes. The game mechanics are so dodgy and there is so much skill and luck involved you can make the same mistake many times in the same areas like I do. YouTube doesn’t help you. Your hands have to touch the countroller not theirs. It’s still pure hard. 

I don’t think people appreciate just how hard the game is. You talk like it’s just easy and about caution. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MiloFPS said:

Point is is it’s not about mistakes. The game mechanics are so dodgy and there is so much skill and luck involved you can make the same mistake many times in the same areas like I do. YouTube doesn’t help you. Your hands have to touch the countroller not theirs. It’s still pure hard. 

I don’t think people appreciate just how hard the game is. You talk like it’s just easy and about caution.

So you won't like the answer, but for the most part, you should know the entire game in your head, know when and where exactly enemies will show up, and not need to rely on Youtube for purposes of "pause and copy." I lived and breathed NYMHC for about 16 hours a day, for 4 days, until I beat it.

If you're dying with such frequency in the same spot, then it's likely a skill related issue. Practice on NYM again, over and over, until you can efficiently get through with ease. NYM can be harder due to only having one minute, rather than built up time, forcing you to go faster. This will help your clock when it comes to the NYMHC run too. You should be going thru the beginning levels so fast that you'll have about 20+ minutes when you get to Chapter 10. There's not much luck involved other than stray grenades, and possibly which direction an enemy moves (which most early level normal enemies should be shot before they move much.) 

Eventually after learning the levels inside out, the only thing that will happen are mistakes (sometimes related to luck), that you learn to not repeat, or by putting yourself in a position where bad luck can possibly happen. 

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Eventually after learning the levels inside out, the only thing that will happen are mistakes (sometimes related to luck), that you learn to not repeat, or by putting yourself in a position where bad luck can possibly happen. 

Nice response. :-) 

So there is no strategy to each level other than know it by heart. I never make the same mistake twice, 6-2 and 8 staircase is the exception, I’m only making stupid mistakes to try and add time. I have around 12 mins by chapter 6 is this good? 

Since 6-2 is my hard barrier I haven’t played the later chapters in ages now. It’s literally a bottleneck in the game to put it that way. Ive grinded it in NYM and still not quick enough on the draw. 

Edited by MiloFPS

• 9 months later...
On 03/01/2021 at 9:50 AM, Seamndel said:

I have yet to beat the game. Once I Unlock NYMH, Is there an option to choose an aim mode? If so, which should I choose ? 

When you play the NYMHC mode you won't have a choice and you will have to play with Free Aim! Therefore I'd recommend using Free Aim as soon as you can =)

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Dropeti's Max Payne 3 NYM Hardcore guide with annotations, and it was extremely helpful. The only thing I did different was to only use melee in chapter 1 to build my time better, and watch a Youtube Max Payne 3 guide of all Painkillers, because he did miss a few. You need to know all of the spawns and painkiller locations in the game. Also what I did was play the game up to chapter 9 one night, and went to sleep leaving my PS3 on overnight for a much needed mental break. I continued today, and finally beat it. 

• Like 3

On 13/01/2021 at 6:53 AM, x7251 said:

You need to know all of the spawns and painkiller locations in the game

That's all there is to it. Reload manually, melee in the early game to build time, use the TPS cover trick in certain areas and know which spots can get you into LMS mode instantly if you don't approach them in a sepcific way. It's all technique, patience and a ton of luck. Certain areas are pure luck. Chapter 6, the IT guy can die from a grenade and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

The mistake I made was I did all the difficulty trophies, did multiplayer then left the game for a while and then attempted NYMH. I didn't know the game as well as I thought I did and I failed the first 20 times unnecessarily. Now I'm 63 failures on and I've given up for a few months now since chapter 13 froze on me 6 times even though I know the game by heart.

Also there is some misinformation on here regarding the chapter 13 office area in last man standing. I got into LMS on purpose to avoid the glitch and it did not work. I want to warn anybody that regardess of what you do, the game will likely freeze anwyay, and many of the suggestions on here and other forums are complete voodoo, besides that you should always be playing offline.

Edited by MiloFPS
Spelling.

2 hours ago, MiloFPS said:

That's all there is to it. Reload manually, melee in the early game to build time, use the TPS cover trick in certain areas and know which spots can get you into LMS mode instantly if you don't approach them in a sepcific way. It's all technique, patience and a ton of luck. Certain areas are pure luck. Chapter 6, the IT guy can die from a grenade and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

The mistake I made was I did all the difficulty trophies, did multiplayer then left the game for a while and then attempted NYMH. I didn't know the game as well as I thought I did and I failed the first 20 times unnecessarily. Now I'm 63 failures on and I've given up for a few months now since chapter 13 froze on me 6 times even though I know the game by heart.

Also there is some misinformation on here regarding the chapter 13 office area in last man standing. I got into LMS on purpose to avoid the glitch and it did not work. I want to warn anybody that regardess of what you do, the game will likely freeze anwyay, and many of the suggestions on here and other forums are complete voodoo, besides that you should always be playing offline.

You can avoid the guy you help in Chapter 6 from dying from grenades by keeping your distance from him during the battles. The annotations in the Dropeti Youtube videos highlight on the screen when a one hit kill warning can happen, and how to prevent it. You will need to enable an extension to restore annotations on Chrome, because Youtube removed them years ago.  

I heard of the freezing in Chapter 13 with the heavy armor guy, and I guess I was extremely lucky in avoiding any freezing during my NYMHC playthrough. I played offline, and I even had golden guns enabled. I stayed on the right side of the room like some suggested. I was worried that my console would freeze, because it had been running for 24+ hours straight from the previous day. I played on a PS3 super slim console.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

I heard turning on golden guns tends to crash the game during NYMHC, anyone verify ? 

Going to start this soon as I’ve just finished the challenge mode :/

golden guns never caused any problems for me. but I always played offline. maybe being connected to psn is what causes issues for ppl who are using golden guns

• Like 1