The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive ever

It also dropped by 80% in UK so it's not just Japan. And before you say "But it's normal!". No, it's not if you compare it to some actually decent games.

Marvel’s Spider-Man boxed sales dropped by 42% in its second week with God of War by 35% fall in sales. But oh well, at least you can still gloat about your fastest selling game in world's history or something.

• Like 2

YouTube is full of all kinds of different opinions. You can find as many people who praise the game and hope it does well there as people who do not. 

It's funny how people In this thread who don't want you to paint with a broad brush and generalize about the sales (or return) numbers, do exactly the same regarding YouTube.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

It also dropped by 80% in UK so it's not just Japan. And before you say "But it's normal!". No, it's not if you compare it to some actually decent games.

Marvel’s Spider-Man boxed sales dropped by 42% in its second week with God of War by 35% fall in sales. But oh well, at least you can still gloat about your fastest selling game in world's history or something.

It only dropped by 80% in the UK. We don't know how much it dropped in its second week in Japan or anywhere else, because those numbers haven't been released.

As I already said, it dropped by just 2% more than Uncharted 4, which is still the best selling PS4 exclusive. Since we know Last of Us Part II sold more on launch than the other games by at least 700, 000 copies (Spider-Man sold over 3.3 million at launch), it would make sense for it to see a bigger drop the following week.

If by this time next year, the game hasn't even reached the 10 million mark, then we can talk about it under performing, but right now that isn't the case.

5 hours ago, Alderriz said:

YouTube is full of all kinds of different opinions. You can find as many people who praise the game and hope it does well there as people who do not. 

It's funny how people In this thread who don't want you to paint with a broad brush and generalize about the sales (or return) numbers, do exactly the same regarding YouTube.

YouTube is full of different opinions, but the YouTube gaming culture scene is largely against the game succeeding. The YouTubers that support the game are largely disconnected from the broader YouTube gaming culture scene.

I'm not talking about streamers, people that almost exclusively do reviews,  or people that work for outlets, but the scene that base their careers on chasing controversy. I should have been more specific, I'm talking about the scene that's made up of people like Geek + Gamers, The Quartering, etc.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
Clarification

23 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

It only dropped by 80% in the UK. We don't know how much it dropped in its second week in Japan or anywhere else, because those numbers haven't been released.

As I already said, it dropped by just 2% more than Uncharted 4, which is still the best selling PS4 exclusive. Since we know Last of Us Part II sold more on launch than the other games by at least 700, 000 copies (Spider-Man sold over 3.3 million at launch), it would make sense for it to see a bigger drop the following week.

If by this time next year, the game hasn't even reached the 10 million mark, then we can talk about it under performing, but right now that isn't the case.

YouTube is full of different opinions, but the YouTube gaming culture scene is largely against the game succeeding. The YouTubers that support the game are largely disconnected from the broader YouTube gaming culture scene.

I'm not talking about streamers, people that almost exclusively do reviews,  or people that work for outlets, but the scene that base their careers on chasing controversy. I should have been more specific, I'm talking about the scene that's made up of people like Geek + Gamers, The Quartering, etc.

Well it dropped 85% in it's second week in Japan and it's probably going to be in 70-80 range in the US in my opinion 

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/the-last-of-us-part-ii-sales-dropped-85-week-on-week-japan/

I'd be surprised if this sells 10 million but it probably will especially if Sony releases it on the PS5. The thing is this game has way too much baggage and Sony/Naughty Dog aren't making things any better by attacking fans, refusing refunds or by contacting critics who gave the game a mixed review

Plus Uncharted 4 didn't have the install base that the TLOU2 currently does and if it came out today it probably would have sold like 5-6 million copies in it's first 3 days or so considering each game in the series has sold more than the previous title except for Lost Legacy. Plus it was Nate's swan song

I'm not going to deny that some Youtubers just do click-bait videos in regards to pop culture controversy but at the same time there's plenty of people out there who have covered the game who are fans of the original and were massively disappointed by the sequel. They had issues with the story, characters, pacing, ending, etc. YongYea is a good example of that he did a good honest review of the game. So you need to look at it from both sides 

The game sales dropped by ~80% by second week because the players were expecting the game and pre-ordered it. It's the same with Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog's games are eagerly awaited by PlayStation players and this engagement is reflected into the pre-order numbers. Nothing more, nothing less, no need to try to read too much into it.

1 hour ago, Fearless0610 said:

Well it dropped 85% in it's second week in Japan and it's probably going to be in 70-80 range in the US in my opinion 

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/the-last-of-us-part-ii-sales-dropped-85-week-on-week-japan/

I'd be surprised if this sells 10 million but it probably will especially if Sony releases it on the PS5. The thing is this game has way too much baggage and Sony/Naughty Dog aren't making things any better by attacking fans, refusing refunds or by contacting critics who gave the game a mixed review

Plus Uncharted 4 didn't have the install base that the TLOU2 currently does and if it came out today it probably would have sold like 5-6 million copies in it's first 3 days or so considering each game in the series has sold more than the previous title except for Lost Legacy. Plus it was Nate's swan song

I'm not going to deny that some Youtubers just do click-bait videos in regards to pop culture controversy but at the same time there's plenty of people out there who have covered the game who are fans of the original and were massively disappointed by the sequel. They had issues with the story, characters, pacing, ending, etc. YongYea is a good example of that he did a good honest review of the game. So you need to look at it from both sides 

As I said, big drop offs aren't unusual when games launch as big as The Last of Us Part II did. 

Unfortunately, the earliest sales figures in Japan on a week to week basis I can find don't go back any further than 2019. So Days Gone is the only comparison I can use. Ok, never mind, I found sales data going further back, and I'll update this post after I've looked through them.

Days Gone

Week 1 - 114, 319

Week 2 - 33, 876

The Last of Us Part II

Week 1 - 178, 696

Week 2 - 25, 993

Spider-Man

Week 1 - 132, 520

Week 2 - 72, 644

God of War

Week 1 - 50, 257

Week 2 - 22, 436

Horizon Zero Dawn

Week 1 - 109, 739

Week 2 - 32, 068

https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japanese-sales-media-create-famitsu-dengeki/

So while The Last of Us Part II had a much bigger drop in its second week, its first sales for the first week alone are higher the week 1 & 2 totals for Days Gone. So the bigger drop off isn't unusual. 

With the exception of Spider-Man, The Last of Us Part II is selling about as well as AAA exclusives usually do in Japan.

The game is already close to four and a half million. Ten million by this time next year seems guaranteed. The controversy on the internet isn't going to hurt its sales numbers.

I agree on one thing though, and this is anyone from Naughty Dog privately contacting critics the way one did. It was unacceptable for the representative to privately contact the person that did the Vice review.  

This is a better example of how to deal with criticism. 

It was obvious that since this is one of the last big exclusives for the PS4 (we're still waiting for Ghosts of Tsushima) it was going to sell like hotcakes as people are preparing to ditch the PS4 in place of the PS5 set to release late this year.

The Last of Us Part II sets a pretty good example of why I have become increasingly disappointed with the direction the AAA gaming industry has taken and the marks it has set for future games to follow. But even more disturbing is how entitled the gaming community in general has become.

Looking back at the last few months, it was clear to me Neil Druckmann was not treating others in the best respects, he was handling both himself and his fans very unprofessionally. But put yourself in his shoes for a minute, how would you handle people on Twitter, Reddit and Facebook giving you death threats? I would completely break out, I don't think anybody in the gaming industry deserves that kind of treatment, even if they're an asshole and they fired a giant portion of their working staff. Yet the leak that came out in April 2020 really showed the true colors of a lot of people.

Many are still disappointed with the way the game turned out, but what's done is done. Nothing we can do about it now. All the moaning and arguing that ensued was just a colossal waste of time. The way I see it, this was bound to get a sequel of sorts since the original game was universally acclaimed with 10 out of 10 ratings all across the board.

Naughty Dog didn't make a single new IP this generation, I have my hopes that they will make a new one by the PS5. They retired Crash, they retired Jak and Daxter, they retired Uncharted. The Last of Us is the only thing they have left.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t understand why some people are so desperate for something to fail. If you don’t like it, move on, and focus some positive energy on something you do enjoy.

I thought Part II was great, and am really looking forward to playing through it again.

• Like 3

I don't really care how well or bad it goes, but let's just say this video's explanation is most certainly a factor of why the game is selling so well...

on top of that, I don't trust Abby_TheLastofUs. I honestly think it's Neil Drunkmann or/and Anita Sarkeesian. The fact he/she has hidden trophies says it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARH65512 said:

I don't really care how well or bad it goes, but let's just say this video's explanation is most certainly a factor of why the game is selling so well...

on top of that, I don't trust Abby_TheLastofUs. I honestly think it's Neil Drunkmann or/and Anita Sarkeesian. The fact he/she has hidden trophies says it all. 

I don't think Neil has time for that (at least I hope he doesn't) but its obvious that account is just a pot-stirring troll.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

That video explains nothing. 

It tries to pass off standard practices as an anomaly that is helping TLOU2. The guy was one of those desperate for the game to fail, so he's fabricating anything he can to soften the defeat handed to them by the game's success. 

Some advice though, since some of you guys that have had it out for this game don't like being labeled as toxic. If you want to share what someone has said about the game, try and make it not someone that defends Hitler.

LRK1eXm.jpg

5 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

Sadly, I am not the co-director and co-writer of some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful video games of all time. Nor am I a respected feminist media critic whose criticism has influenced developers from Naughty Dog to Arkane Studios. ?

4 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I don't think Neil has time for that (at least I hope he doesn't) but its obvious that account is just a pot-stirring troll.

Ah, yes.

I'm doing that notorious thing that trolls do: posting facts.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Ah, yes.

I'm doing that notorious thing that trolls do: posting facts.

Right you are mate, keep posting those facts to prove the haters wrong. Just like Abby's quest for revenge, it won't bring you peace.

On 02/07/2020 at 8:03 PM, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

This is a better example of how to deal with criticism. 

That's exactly his problem. How can you be in charge of a product that's being put out to millions of people in which your success depends on how well they receive your product only to shut them down like this. The hell?

1 minute ago, PooPooBlast said:

That's exactly his problem. How can you be in charge of a product that's being put out to millions of people in which your success depends on how well they receive your product only to shut them down like this. The hell?

How about posting everything he said, instead of just 11 seconds that cuts off before he even finishes his sentence.

6 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

That is 100% true. An account that was joined around the game's release date and named yourself of a character that people hate is not something that's not normal. Not to mention a trophy list is hidden. Something is up.

47 minutes ago, Juzota said:

Yes, and I am Hideo Kojima. Hello.

Just for the record, I was only half-joking, but I do think that account is not legit for the reasons I said above. I don't know why you bought that up because clearly your account is more legit (eg. trophy list, date joined older than me). I'm not trying down anyone because they "love" this game, just Abby_TheLastofUs. I have no idea who this person is, but it's an obvious troll here who for some reason gained a following more than me. 

18 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Better? Change anything?

Better, but it disproves your previous post.

The video was posted last week, so attributing something Neil said in it as the reason why people are hating on the game as the reddit post does, is misleading, because the people that have been hating on the game have been doing for months before the game even came out.

Now let's get to what he actually said.

Starting at the 1: 23: 00 mark.

When Neil says critics of the game are less important, he's saying they're less important than what the team that made the game think, because he wants them to be proud of the game they made. Not that he doesn't care about criticism, but he would have been so upset if the people that spent years working on the game didn't think they made something good.

When he says some of them aren't important at all, he's talking about the people that have been toxic and making threats. 

He also says the reviews for the game were better than what he expected.

And, he says he was getting too much praise for the game, when it was a team effort.

Given the context of reddit clip, there's no reason to feel dismissed or belittled unless you're one of the haters that have been toxic and sending threatening messages.

• Like 1