Children of the 60's & 70's...We Survived!

Wade_VC

I really missed out then. Parents had actual trust for kids back then. And kids (for the most part) Did well with it! I would say i would have wanted to live back then, but i can't rightly say that. I've become so spoiled with technology, i don't know how i would live without it. I still go outside and walk around with friends, but now, lets just say, the scene of this world is changing.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, Wade... You had me in a fit of nostalgia there. I remember all the fun we had back then. Technology is nice and all but even without it we had a blast.

We did at that Magnus! Isn't it funny that in today's age of "Social Networking", people have become much less social?

• 2 weeks later...

I want this kind of freedom again. Not all this PC crap.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. It is indeed the PC crowd that has literally taken all the fun and enjoyment out of everything anymore. Me, I am glad I grew up back then for sure!

For those of us who were lucky enough to grow up and experience the freedom of childhood in the 60's & 70's, you will enjoy this list. For those of you who are children of the 80's & 90's, you too will find this list interesting...and a sad commentary of what you have missed out on.

Please note: This is not an original list created by me; it is a saved document of whom the original author I am not sure. To whomever this original author may be, credit to this person is recognized.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat roomsWE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

Hey Wade you missed one thing with this one. We actually had to get off of our ass and turn the TV channel with our hand. The horror that overcomes young people today when I tell them that. :)

• Like 1

Hey Wade you missed one thing with this one. We actually had to get off of our ass and turn the TV channel with our hand. The horror that overcomes young people today when I tell them that. :)

Yeah, no kidding...and we had to do so to get our 4 or 5 channels as well! Then after we manually changed the channel, there was always those stupid vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs that needed tweeking with every channel change as well.

...good times! :)

Yeah, no kidding...and we had to do so to get our 4 or 5 channels as well! Then after we manually changed the channel, there was always those stupid vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs that needed tweeking with every channel change as well.

...good times! :)

lol - OMG I forgot about about that. :P What about when we tell them we watched shows in B&W? They laugh at me in disbelief - 'Yea right you watched TV in B&W your not that old'. Well I'm afraid I am that old. :)

• 1 month later...

For those of us who were lucky enough to grow up and experience the freedom of childhood in the 60's & 70's, you will enjoy this list. For those of you who are children of the 80's & 90's, you too will find this list interesting...and a sad commentary of what you have missed out on.

I miss those days! I grew up in the very late 70's and the 80's. Most, if not all, of those statements applied to my childhood. It's funny how simple statements can bring back a flood of memories. I have given serious thought to selling everything I have to purchase a chunk of remote land and going there to live off the land. I feel like we are in a downward spiral nowadays like somebody flushed the toilet.

I'm a 70s baby and yes it was Awesome. you forgot about the ass whopping you would get if you came in after the street lights went out :ninja: . good times <_< good times. ^_^

True story... I remember getting my ass beat when I stepped out of line.

Different times ... The other day I asked my wife can you tell me at least 3 names of the people that live on our street? Back when we were growing up everybody knew everybody in the neighborhood. But now can you imagine what would happen if you had a bunch of teenage kids gathering on your street to play a street ball game or dare I say just hang out. SWAT would show up thinking its "gang related".

So sad that it has come to this...... Guess I will have to keep a copy of the movie The Sandlot just to give my kids a idea of how I grew up, because I am pretty sure that way of life is never coming back.

• Like 1

Different times ... The other day I asked my wife can you tell me at least 3 names of the people that live on our street? Back when we were growing up everybody knew everybody in the neighborhood. But now can you imagine what would happen if you had a bunch of teenage kids gathering on your street to play a street ball game or dare I say just hang out. SWAT would show up thinking its "gang related".

So sad that it has come to this...... Guess I will have to keep a copy of the movie The Sandlot just to give my kids a idea of how I grew up, because I am pretty sure that way of life is never coming back.

I guess i'm the exception lol, i know the names of 3 people on my street lol.

But i guess i'm getting old ... last time i saw a teenager i told him to get off my lawn o_O

I'm an early '90s child like many other members of this site, but I'd just like to say that I did many of the things highlighted in OP's list while growing up. Basically only the ones related to advancement of technology are different. Maybe it's because I grew up in the fairly isolated countryside outside a small rural town in a fairly small, isolated country (New Zealand), but a lot of this reminds me of my childhood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...