Hardest get there gap

1 hour ago, KingTom95 said:

Did you guys tried the Get-There's after unlocking the park or did you got all the stats points first ? 

I was already bad at Tony Hawk games when i was a kid and i still suck a LOT but i have fun cause there is an skill gap. 

Biggest problems are Manuals, after my 3rd manual in a combo its almost impossible for me to keep balance and i dont know how people keep their speed.

It always looks like im losing to much speed doing manuals, is there any trick like doing a quick manual and then cancel it or combine it with something ?

PRO TIP: Always hold X while manual - that increases your speed. 

• Like 2

On 14/10/2020 at 4:56 AM, KingTom95 said:

Did you guys tried the Get-There's after unlocking the park or did you got all the stats points first ? 

I was already bad at Tony Hawk games when i was a kid and i still suck a LOT but i have fun cause there is an skill gap. 

Biggest problems are Manuals, after my 3rd manual in a combo its almost impossible for me to keep balance and i dont know how people keep their speed.

It always looks like im losing to much speed doing manuals, is there any trick like doing a quick manual and then cancel it or combine it with something ?

if you manual 3 times in a row without doing a wallride or a grind or something it gives you a penalty to your balance meter, same with grinding 3 times in a row. also, you really shouldnt try the get theres until you have every skill point, you really need them

On 16.10.2020 at 9:34 PM, Flipendo52 said:

if you manual 3 times in a row without doing a wallride or a grind or something it gives you a penalty to your balance meter, same with grinding 3 times in a row. also, you really shouldnt try the get theres until you have every skill point, you really need them

Didnt knew that but that wasnt the major problem since i mixed up things already for more points, it really was the holding X while doing the manual.

I cant play much atm but i tried using X for a few rounds and now im as fast as the other people and can actually hold my combo longer, i still suck a lot but that tip alone made me much better. 

I managed to get the warehouse gap in around 5 mins, probably nothing to special and the easiest one but yea feeling much more confident now.

Thanks for your reply. 

Edited by KingTom95
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KingTom95 said:

Didnt knew that but that wasnt the major problem since i mixed up things already for more points, it really was the holding X while doing the manual.

I cant play much atm but i tried using X for a few rounds and now im as fast as the other people and can actually hold my combo longer, i still suck a lot but that tip alone made me much better. 

I managed to get the warehouse gap in around 5 mins, probably nothing to special and the easiest one but yea feeling much more confident now.

Thanks for your reply. 

Nice, good luck on the other ones!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I underestimated the difficulty of these get theres. Some were quite hard for me to pull off.

1. School II: 6 hours

2. Streets: 4 hours

3. Venice: 2 hours

And.. Bullring: 10 minutes ? 

Maybe I got a very lucky run but I don’t understand why this is considered the hardest get there.

• Like 1

Top three hardest for me:

3) Marseilles (Should've been straight forward, but I was tired and should've had a break. Stubbornness prevailed and as a result I really struggled to connect the final three gaps.)
2) Downhill Jam (Getting that first grind uphill to register...)
1) Bullring (I've been playing TH since it first came out, so the rest of the Get There's took no longer than 25 mins. Bullring took me 3 long hours. The jump to the banana is a joke. Whoever decided to put a metal protrusion right at the end of the ramp should take a long hard look at themselves and rethink their life choices.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, Jammer_Key said:

Top three hardest for me:

3) Marseilles (Should've been straight forward, but I was tired and should've had a break. Stubbornness prevailed and as a result I really struggled to connect the final three gaps.)
2) Downhill Jam (Getting that first grind uphill to register...)
1) Bullring (I've been playing TH since it first came out, so the rest of the Get There's took no longer than 25 mins. Bullring took me 3 long hours. The jump to the banana is a joke. Whoever decided to put a metal protrusion right at the end of the ramp should take a long hard look at themselves and rethink their life choices.)

I was losing my shit trying to get that first grind on Downhill Jam. Got it to work about 30% of the time... Also about 90% of the time after the jump (right before the 50ft gap), my skater would just dart off the side of the ramp. Thank goodness I finally got it.

Also just got School II last night after trying for about 45 minutes. 5 more to go.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I’m currently having a rough time with Venice Beach and needed to vent. The Ramp 2 Roof gap is straight up broken and registers maybe 1 out of every 20 attempts at it. My speed is too high as well so I keep over shooting the first table a little bit which messes up the long manual, but turning down my speed makes Ramp 2 Roof even more impossible to land so idk what to do really. Just gonna keep trying until I nail that bitch however long it takes. 

Edit: YESSSS!!! I took a short dinner break then came back and nailed it. I knew whining on the forums would work!

IzFAQWj.gif

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’m currently having a rough time with Venice Beach and needed to vent. The Ramp 2 Roof gap is straight up broken and registers maybe 1 out of every 20 attempts at it.

Congrats on getting it done. I'm a bit late to help you, but maybe this might help others struggling with Venice Beach ramp 2 roof. I was on this one for about 2 hours and only got credit for the gap maybe 3 times until I made the jump to the roof with a boneless which worked I'd say at least 50% of the time. I did do this on release so I've no idea if anythings changed or if that boneless trick still works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riiszk said:

Congrats on getting it done. I'm a bit late to help you, but maybe this might help others struggling with Venice Beach ramp 2 roof. I was on this one for about 2 hours and only got credit for the gap maybe 3 times until I made the jump to the roof with a boneless which worked I'd say at least 50% of the time. I did do this on release so I've no idea if anythings changed or if that boneless trick still works

Thank you for the tip. Another thing I discovered is to let yourself hang in the air for an extra second before pressing R2 and going into the grind up the ramp spine. It’s still finnicky but this was the only method that seemed to trigger it reliably for me, but even then it’s only every handful of tries.

It’s too bad they can’t fix this gap because it’s straight up broken. The game seems to register the vent on the roof behind the quarter pipe as being part of the QP itself, as transferring from QP to the roof ramp triggers the ‘Vent 2 Roof’ gap 100% of the time even though you don’t touch or go anywhere near the vent. The ‘Ramp 2 Roof’ triggers on top of it if you land slightly higher up the spine, which either requires delayed hangtime or a boneless like you said.

Hitting this also requires massive speed which ends up being a problem at the end of the combo when you come flying off the roof Mach 5 and have to Ollie with split second precision in order to land on the right part of the table that triggers those 4 last gaps.

I gotta say I’m very impressed with everyone who has unlocked this trophy! It looks so easy in footage of successful runs, but it’s not until you start trying them you realize how finicky and precise every little movement is, especially on the maps with glitchy gaps that don’t register correctly much of the time (ie. VB or Downhill Jam). Definitely using this thread as inspiration to get my last few done. ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Chopper Drop and Roswell went so well for me, I realized I was confident enough to go after the secret scores for both areas (granted Chopper Drop only required under 1mil), which I was able to do. School II, the Mall, and the Bullring are the reason why my thumbs have calluses on them. Seriously, haven't had that happen due to gaming in well over a decade. The Bullring was my fault though. I lowered the ollie stat for the Skater Heaven get there, and forgot to fix it. So for hours, I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to land these way-too-acrobatic-for-me gaps, until I realized I hadn't fixed the stat. Nailed it next run. F--- me, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2-9-2022 at 6:21 AM, dieselmanchild said:

Thank you for the tip. Another thing I discovered is to let yourself hang in the air for an extra second before pressing R2 and going into the grind up the ramp spine. It’s still finnicky but this was the only method that seemed to trigger it reliably for me, but even then it’s only every handful of tries.

It’s too bad they can’t fix this gap because it’s straight up broken. The game seems to register the vent on the roof behind the quarter pipe as being part of the QP itself, as transferring from QP to the roof ramp triggers the ‘Vent 2 Roof’ gap 100% of the time even though you don’t touch or go anywhere near the vent. The ‘Ramp 2 Roof’ triggers on top of it if you land slightly higher up the spine, which either requires delayed hangtime or a boneless like you said.

Hitting this also requires massive speed which ends up being a problem at the end of the combo when you come flying off the roof Mach 5 and have to Ollie with split second precision in order to land on the right part of the table that triggers those 4 last gaps.

I gotta say I’m very impressed with everyone who has unlocked this trophy! It looks so easy in footage of successful runs, but it’s not until you start trying them you realize how finicky and precise every little movement is, especially on the maps with glitchy gaps that don’t register correctly much of the time (ie. VB or Downhill Jam). Definitely using this thread as inspiration to get my last few done. 1f642.png

For this problem about the speed beeing too high to pull of the start of the manual: After the Canyon jump, don't hold X while manualling on the roof and you'll lose some of that speed. I also dropped off the side of the building without an ollie so I had more distance to the tables which in turn gave more time to align myself. Depending on how fast I'd go after dropping down, I sometimes held X and sometimes not while manualling towards the table. Once on the table I always held X or you'd not make it to the end.

10 hours ago, Kolm said:

For this problem about the speed beeing too high to pull of the start of the manual: After the Canyon jump, don't hold X while manualling on the roof and you'll lose some of that speed. I also dropped off the side of the building without an ollie so I had more distance to the tables which in turn gave more time to align myself. Depending on how fast I'd go after dropping down, I sometimes held X and sometimes not while manualling towards the table. Once on the table I always held X or you'd not make it to the end.

Great tip! Another possibility; I’ve seen people pause the game and drop their speed stat down like 3-5 points during/after the canyon gap which could potentially help a lot. This might work great for some people, however I had difficulty doing this myself as those last couple sequences happen very quickly and it would usually throw me off my rhythm. But it’s worth a shot for anybody having trouble coming off the roof too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

School 2 by an absolute mile was the hardest, the routes are just too long, your meters are going crazy towards the end regardless of how well balanced you've been. Really struggled to get enough speed to get up that little incline towards the last rail for the most common route. eventually discovered a method that gave me extra speed so that I could get up it on a single manual and also meant I could control my meters a lot better which set me up for the last bit and was key to doing it. 

After that I'd say school 1 was a real struggle for me but that was mainly because it was the first one I did and I was just learning to combo properly and the game would just refuse to put me into a manual many times at the very end off the big rail. 

3rd is probably mall. Took me a long time, getting through the atrium was a struggle. 

Of the other notably hard ones. Bullring was not easy, that initial banana jump was really annoying to land. The rest of it wasn't too bad though, felt technically hard but fair whereas some of the others was reliant on luck. Venice for some reason I could nail the first jump fairly regularly, the problem was the table, jumping on it at the right spot was hard enough without then having to get across without it screwing you. The trick for me was to drop off the canyon roof instead of an ollie then keep x held for the jump on to the table but then when you manual on the table don't hold x. you will crawl across but it will be much easier to control the manual and you'll have just enough speed to get to the end. 

I'm working my way through these slowly, in between completing each skater (I plan on doing all skater challenges and see where that gets me for xp).

So far I have done all the get theres in THPS1 and about half of 2. Still have Venice, School, Bullring and Skate Heaven (and maybe one more). Tried Venice for a while but have not even looked at the others.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got School II done! Got to the upper level before the last rail several times and botched it (including jumping OVER the last rail to the stairs one time). Also tried the alternate route that does that rail first and the one by the dumpster last, but the turn around at the spawn point was too much of a pain in the ass. Only have Bullring and Skate Heaven to go. Have not attempted either yet.

Aside from that, I'm at level 78 and still need to do all the CAP stuff and the multiplayer.

• Like 1

Got Skate Heaven last night. Not too bad except for having to do a U-turn in a manual. Though if you come off the rail before the manual with a ton of speed you can go straight and wallplant off the sign in front of you. 

Also didn't realise until yesterday how many freaking gaps Skate Heaven has. 

Can someone describe manuals to me?

I’ve watched tips videos like AndyTHPS but sometimes my manual will be okay and other times it will be high/low on the bar. I use d-pad, I’ve avoided holding up/down out of habit, I hold X while the manual is active and so on…

Its quite frustrating especially in these shorter/smaller levels without strong lines.

Any tips that helped you get these done would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Can someone describe manuals to me?

I’ve watched tips videos like AndyTHPS but sometimes my manual will be okay and other times it will be high/low on the bar. I use d-pad, I’ve avoided holding up/down out of habit, I hold X while the manual is active and so on…

Its quite frustrating especially in these shorter/smaller levels without strong lines.

Any tips that helped you get these done would be appreciated.

I hope someone can correct me if I’m wrong here because I’m no pro at the game and still don’t fully understand all the tricks myself, but from what I understand, the obvious principle is that the longer you are in manual/grind, the faster it eats up your balance and the more wobbly it becomes.

When it comes to long combos though, there are certain things that will heavily penalize your balance and make it run out much faster. Generally you want to keep your manuals/grinds as short as possible when you can, and if you do things like grind the same object (rail, wall, whatever) 2x in a row or manual 2x or more in a line without throwing another trick in between it will cause your balance to peter out very quickly.

Holding down X makes you move faster. And whenever you can, try to utilize moves like wallies and wall rides in your combos because they keep the combo going but don’t count towards the balance meter like grinds and manuals do.

Also D-pad is the way to go. For most new/modern players, playing with the analog stick is going to feel a lot more comfortable than playing with the D-pad, but these old THPS games were designed for D-pad inputs and you will definitely come to regret not building up that muscle memory when you get around to the hard Get There’s. Trust me, I’m talking from experience. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I hope someone can correct me if I’m wrong here because I’m no pro at the game and still don’t fully understand all the tricks myself, but from what I understand, the obvious principle is that the longer you are in manual/grind, the faster it eats up your balance and the more wobbly it becomes.

When it comes to long combos though, there are certain things that will heavily penalize your balance and make it run out much faster. Generally you want to keep your manuals/grinds as short as possible when you can, and if you do things like grind the same object (rail, wall, whatever) 2x in a row or manual 2x or more in a line without throwing another trick in between it will cause your balance to peter out very quickly.

Holding down X makes you move faster. And whenever you can, try to utilize moves like wallies and wall rides in your combos because they keep the combo going but don’t count towards the balance meter like grinds and manuals do.

Also D-pad is the way to go. For most new/modern players, playing with the analog stick is going to feel a lot more comfortable than playing with the D-pad, but these old THPS games were designed for D-pad inputs and you will definitely come to regret not building up that muscle memory when you get around to the hard Get There’s. Trust me, I’m talking from experience. 1f606.png

Yeah, I’ve been doing all that.

Here’s where I’m coming from: I watched videos of guys playing Mall and their meter was more centered often despite doing less tricks (they would ride the rail longer without comboing). Now I’m on Skate Park and I turn right via press/hold the right dpad button to try to get to another gap area and my manual gets completely ruined and I wipe out. I also want to mention I’m not over adjusting the meter, either. I try to only adjust when it seems like I absolutely have to.

I just don’t know why my manual gets ruined and others are more centered since I already understand what you mentioned in your post. It seems landing angle is part of the equation and also maybe something about tapping the dpad instead of holding.

I’m trying to get gud but I’m already frustrated and I’ve only done 3 of the hard get theres.

Edited by Wagszilla