Tom Clancy Dead: Celebrated Thriller Author Dies At Age 66

UndreyVITA

tom-clancy-author.png

Robert Mora/Getty

According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66. 

The New York Times is also confirming:

Tom Clancy's publisher confirms to the NYT that he died last night in a hospital in Baltimore.

"He was a thrill to work with," said Ivan Held, the president of Putnam.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Tom Clancy studied literature at the Loyola College in Baltimore and was originally an insurance salesman before becoming famous for writing technically detailed espionage and military science books.

He is responsible for best-selling books such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," "Clear and Present Danger," and "The Sum of All Fears"  all of which were adapted into major Hollywood films.

In 1996, Clancy co-founded the video game developer Red Storm Entertainment and has had his name on several of Red Storm's most successful games. 

Red Storm was later bought by publisher Ubisoft Entertainment for an undisclosed sum.

In 2002, Forbes wrote, "Clancy can produce a guaranteed bestseller just by writing two words: his name."

"When it comes to leveraging his brand across multiple channels, he is positively protean," Forbes continued, noting his income at the time made him the tenth-best earner on Forbes Celebrity 100 list for 2002. His net worth today is reported to be around $300 million.

Clancy has been a lifetime supporter of conservative and Republican causes in America, a member of the National Rifle Association since 1978, and was part-owner of the Baltimore Orioles.

His next book, “Command Authority,” is planned for publication on December 3.

Edited by UndreyVITA

Ohh no, now we won't get any more tom clancy games if only someone bought his name before he died, ohh wait we will because he sold his name to Ubisoft, yay! R.I.P The irony will be hilarious when Tom clancy brings out Rainbow six vegas 3,

Advertisers - "Get ready for Tom clancy's latest and greatest game yet!"

Costumers  -  "But he's been dead for years." ;/

Advertisers - "Who gives a fuck, death is for pussies, tom clancy's greatest game yet, here it comes!"

Ohh no, now we won't get any more tom clancy games if only someone bought his name before he died, ohh wait we will because he sold his name to Ubisoft, yay! R.I.P The irony will be hilarious when Tom clancy brings out Rainbow six vegas 3,

Advertisers - "Get ready for Tom clancy's latest and greatest game yet!"

Costumers  -  "But he's been dead for years." ;/

Advertisers - "Who gives a fuck, death is for pussies, tom clancy's greatest game yet, here it comes!"

Am i the only one that finds this a little tasteless and disrespectful ?

Rest In Peace  Tom Clancy and deepest sympathy for your family and friends

Am i the only one that finds this a little tasteless and disrespectful ?

Rest In Peace  Tom Clancy and deepest sympathy for your family and friends

How is this disrespectful? Reality is he sold his name, I was making light of that, not him dying, I wish his family all the best and may he rest in peace, but damn dude, I was making fun of the fact that he sold his name and maybe they'll make more games in the future, that are made by him but actually aren't because he's dead now.

For once I'll agree with warrior... If you cant see why it was disrespectfull, maybe you should dust off the old filters...

On topic - dude had amazing knowledge of warfare, having seen him often on discovery. Pretty sure his name will live on thanks to games that will continue his legacy.

Edited by Memnoch
  • Like 1