Blind Playthrough ?

Gewehr_FR

Hi,

I loved Human Revolution and I'm about to start this sequel.

My dilemma is whether I should do a blind play-through first and just enjoy the game, or follow a step by step guide. 

The guide I would follow doesn't reveal any major spoiler but it does force me to make the right choices to be able to get all the ebooks / finish all side quests.

A blind play-through means that during my second pacifist, foxiest of the hound, hardest difficulty play-through I will have to collect all ebooks, as well as doing the side quests related trophies.

Or doing an additional third play-through just for the ebooks.

What's your opinion and how long does a play-through last approximately ? 

Edited by Gewehr_FR

A blind playthrough will obviously cost you more time but it's absolutely worth it imo. The maplayout, gameplay and missions are so much better than human revolution and the atmosphere is great. The story is just a bit of a letdown unfortunately. Still, I'd recommend to play it blind first.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gewehr_FR said:

Hi,

My dilemma is whether I should do a blind play-through first and just enjoy the game, or follow a step by step guide. 

The guide I would follow doesn't reveal any major spoiler but it does force me to make the right choices to be able to get all the ebooks / finish all side quests.

A blind play-through means that during my second pacifist, foxiest of the hound, hardest difficulty play-through I will have to collect all ebooks, as well as doing the side quests related trophies.

If I were you, I'd start with Breach.

It is a kind of game that you'd still enjoy with a guide, don't worry. You won't achieve anything at all if you blind. If you don't mind that you may have to go more than 2 playthroughs but the game is fairly short and easy except for the hardest difficulty trophy (and perhaps triggering zero alarms but when you get experienced with the game and follow a guide you can tackle it down alongside killing no people). 

21 hours ago, Gewehr_FR said:

My opinion is do a blind play through that INCLUDES pacifist, hounds and hard all in one. Then go back on a lower difficulty for the books. C'mon, man! Go hardcore!

I only say this because a friend dared me to do it and I accepted his challenge. Honestly, it wasn't that hard.

21 hours ago, Gewehr_FR said:

Hi,

Here's what I wrote in the trophy guide: "You will have to play the game again, so in theory you will have a second chance at anything you miss here, but it will be on the hardest difficulty, so you'll be better off not having to try to worry about all of these extra objectives on that second playthrough. You especially want to focus on getting all of the eBooks because those do not carry over from one playthrough to another, meaning that you would have to collect every single one of them again, which also requires you to do several of the more difficult side missions and to go out of your way during many of the story missions."

The fact that you have to play on the harder difficulty makes the blind playthrough option less appealing IMO. My missable trophy walkthrough does have some spoilers for sure, and so would an eBook guide, so I can see the dilemma - just know that you're setting yourself up for a hard and really complicated second playthrough.

You also may want to make sure you can still finish the breach trophies at this point - last I heard it's been really iffy for the last year or two.

You're probably looking at 15+ hours per playthrough.

• Like 1

I played through on hard difficulty with stealth in mind, did a few sidemissions and got pacifist but not foxiest. Story is less good than Human Revolution but gameplay is the same (very good). I did a 2nd playthrough on I've never asked for this and did nothing besides main missions. Got Foxiest (and would've gotten Pacifist). Then did a 3rd playthrough for the ebooks.

• Like 1

Various opinions. Thank you very much. 

2 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

I think you should use a guide, because it'll allow you to play all the side missions, read all the lore etc and just enjoy the game more. There's a lot of stuff that can be very easily missed and the main story is quite weak imo, so you need that side content to improve the experience. You'll feel much more satisfied after your first playthrough if you experienced all it has to offer. It'll also save you the hassle later on.

If you're using the guide on pstrophies.org, it doesn't really spoil anything major in the story. You're still free to approach the missions however you want ( unless you're also going for Foxiest of the Hounds, in which case you'll have to play stealthily). The guide just tells you what to do before reaching a point of no return.

Good point. Yet I also like to role play my character and following the guide forces me into making specific choices. "Bank or Allisson", "Miller or Vega". For now I have no idea who these character are. But if the story is as weak as people say, this seems to be a consensus, maybe going out of character isn't that bad. I thought Human Revolution was quite brilliantly written so this is unfortunate.

23 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

My opinion is do a blind play through that INCLUDES pacifist, hounds and hard all in one. Then go back on a lower difficulty for the books. C'mon, man! Go hardcore!

I only say this because a friend dared me to do it and I accepted his challenge. Honestly, it wasn't that hard.

Aha, I like your thinking but by hard difficulty I mean the "I never asked for this" difficulty, and it only unlocks after beating the game so I can't do it on a blind play-through.

Besides constantly reloading my save on the 1st play-through would just ruin it.

3 hours ago, zizimonster said:

If I were you, I'd start with Breach.

I thought about doing this but I've read that doing the campaign gives you useful bonuses for this mode. I also read that it's quite frustrating so I will probably keep that for perhaps after my first play-through! Actually one reason why I'm about to start this game is because I'm worried the servers might not work in the future so I'm definitely not gonna wait too long before getting rid of those online trophies.

--

I just learned that there's a new game plus, therefore I believe gonna do it this way:

1) Blind playthrough - Do my best to avoid getting spotted. Try to do as much content as possible. Probably not gonna obtain neither foxiest or ebooks trophy.

2) Breach Mode + Breach Lvl 4 + Breach Picus.

3) New Game Plus - Following a guide to find all ebooks. Do misc trophies such Time Traveler, the Penguin one, combat trophies. Anything I missed on 1st play-through.

4) I never asked for this / Foxiest of the Hound / Pacifist Play-through.

I could change my mind and save myself a play-through but this is my plan for now.

For the 2 story DLCs, do they take place during the storyline, like in Human in Revolution?

Or are they accessible only from the main menu, as stand alones?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gewehr_FR said:

Various opinions. Thank you very much. 

Good point. Yet I also like to role play my character and following the guide forces me into making specific choices. "Bank or Allisson", "Miller or Vega". For now I have no idea who these character are. But if the story is as weak as people say, this seems to be a consensus, maybe going out of character isn't that bad. I thought Human Revolution was quite brilliantly written so this is unfortunate.

Aha, I like your thinking but by hard difficulty I mean the "I never asked for this" difficulty, and it only unlocks after beating the game so I can't do it on a blind play-through.

Besides constantly reloading my save on the 1st play-through would just ruin it.

I thought about doing this but I've read that doing the campaign gives you useful bonuses for this mode. I also read that it's quite frustrating so I will probably keep that for perhaps after my first play-through! Actually one reason why I'm about to start this game is because I'm worried the servers might not work in the future so I'm definitely not gonna wait too long before getting rid of those online trophies.

--

I just learned that there's a new game plus, therefore I believe gonna do it this way:

1) Blind playthrough - Do my best to avoid getting spotted. Try to do as much content as possible. Probably not gonna obtain neither foxiest or ebooks trophy.

3) New Game Plus - Following a guide to find all ebooks. Do misc trophies such Time Traveler, the Penguin one, combat trophies. Anything I missed on 1st play-through.

I could change my mind and save myself a play-through but this is my plan for now.

For the 2 story DLCs, do they take place during the storyline, like in Human in Revolution?

Good luck with the game, have fun (Breach is such a shit mode that I would save it for last if I were you).

As for the DLC, unfortunately you can only access them from the main menu if I remember correctly. The first DLC System Rift takes place during the story (around the middle of the game), the second DLC A criminal past actually takes place before the story of MD, but also after it (via cutscenes) therefore it should be saved for last (it's a really good DLC).

Edited by TheDarkBlade9
  • Like 1

i'd recommend against a blind playthrough. but thats just me. mainly because of breach mode and how much it sucks. I used a guide and am greatful ultimately because breach absolutely killed any enjoyment i'd had previously.

breach is a monotonous pointless little game mode that does nothing but suck your soul out through your eyesockets. it's not especially difficult but it's 200 miles of long boring shitty road, after a cross country journey.

15 minutes ago, Gewehr_FR said:

just learned that there's a new game plus, therefore I believe gonna do it this way:

Sounds like a good plan. Although, I would switch the order to 1-3-either 2 or 4. The reason is, you can grab some breach collectibles in the main game, which will unlock some extra goodies on Breach. If you plan to play Breach legit, they could be useful. However, there is a glitch for infinite energy/health making Breach mode a walk in the park, essentially.

As for the DLCs, they are only accessible through the main menu (just like Missing Link in Human Revolution, before the release of Director's Cut). Story-wise, one takes place during the main game's events, the other between the events of HR and MD. There is also a single mission (Desperate Measures), taking place after the early events of MD @TheDarkBlade9 explained it pretty well.

Edited by Deadsh0tdoubleG
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Gewehr_FR said:

Breach Softwares grant you Booster Packs, but there are other ways of obtaining Booster Packs. One of them is by winning Challenges in Breach, which I think easier to do. :)

On 12.10.2020 at 10:04 PM, Gewehr_FR said:

Not sure if you already know this but there is a glitch for breach which makes your time A LOT easier