Sugestion: Make "Old PSN Level" or "Legacy PSN Level" visible somewhere on PSNProfile

I personally don't want to see old level, if implementing which I highly doubt, allow users to hide old level.

Edited by NERVergoproxy

People just need to accept that it’s changed and move on. It’s just a matter of time before the furore about it dies down and people no longer bring it up. At the end of the day your PSN level is just a sum of your trophy points with a number attached to it. New system/old system, it really makes no difference which you use. The only people who should really care are the people who went from max level on the old system to max level on the new system. But even then who cares. It’s just a number. Instead of bringing it up all the time and complaining, go play a video game instead and you’ll forget about it. Seriously, if your biggest complaint at the moment is about your PSN level changing then count yourself lucky, plenty of people out there don’t have first world problems.

• Like 4

The new method is growing on me, but even if it wasn't, I'm not sure why you want to compare the new system to an old system that no longer exists and has no relevance.

The only benefit of looking at your old level was for seeing the trophy you earned when you level up, but again that's now redundant.

Give it a few weeks and you probably won't care anymore. If you do, I can post the calculations required to work out your old level if you need it.

31 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

The new method is growing on me, but even if it wasn't, I'm not sure why you want to compare the new system to an old system that no longer exists and has no relevance.

That can not really be the selling argument. Having levels higher than 100 was not relevant for a long time either, but still this site did it anyway to improve the experience of a large amount of users who were > 100 on PSN itself. Rarity is also a different thing from how it is on PSN and as a result it's more meaningful. We should do what works for us I guess.

I understand that they want to bring more positive re-enforcement into the trophy system. As it was, the gaps between the levels were too large. I would have preferred something that did not break the levels that we had. Maybe a system of intermediate steps with additional rewards should have been incorporated instead. Anyway, I do agree that there is nothing we can do about it and moving on is the only sensible option. It is what it is.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

That can not really be the selling argument. Having levels higher than 100 was not relevant for a long time either, but still this site did it anyway to improve the experience of a large amount of users who were > 100 on PSN itself. Rarity is also a different thing from how it is on PSN and as a result it's more meaningful. We should do what works for us I guess.

I understand that they want to bring more positive re-enforcement into the trophy system. As it was, the gaps between the levels were too large. I would have preferred something that did not break the levels that we had. Maybe a system of intermediate steps with additional rewards should have been incorporated instead. Anyway, I do agree that there is nothing we can do about it and moving on is the only sensible option. It is what it is.

But we could have them both - "Old" and "New" level systems together on PSN Profiles. It's the same thing as what the site have done with levels above 100 and with two statistics for trophy rarity. Sony did not supported it, but it was implemented anyway, cause it was good for the community.

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 2

I can understand this. Leveling up now is not as motivating as it was with the old system. Also 999 looks kinda dumb. 1000 would have been way better. Also i heared a few people dreaming of a prestige system instead. That you can reset to 1 with a different icon once you reach max level.

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Looking forward to the monthly “What is this other level number?” threads that will pop up as we gain more and more members who never had a PSN profile before the change.

I think it’s easy enough to figure out the old level on their own if that meant a lot to people. Adding it to the site will make less and less sense as years go on. 

No, I think very few people actually care about the level.

It was an arbitrary number before and it's an arbitrary number now. Sony has the best number measuring system around and that's how many plats you have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

The old levels don't exist anymore, we just have to accept it the way it is. People are only going to care about the old level until they learn to adapt, then they won't care. As for the level cap now, I'm sure this site will adjust them again to go beyond level 999.

Rarities are a completely different matter. PSNP had rarities long before Sony incorporated them. These figures are calculated by having the number of owners and number of achievers obtained from the users added to this site. The figures from PSN only have an absolute figure - for example 5.4%, no owners, no achievers. So here PSN has one figure and PSNP has another. PSNP shows both. The level figures have always been taken from PSN.

I'm just curious though why people do want to see an old level that doesn't exist and doesn't mean anything now? Is it just for the trophy earned when levelling up?

EDIT: Hakoom is at level 1457 so no cap applied to users exceeding level 999.

Edited by FawltyPowers

58 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I'm just curious though why people do want to see an old level that doesn't exist and doesn't mean anything now? Is it just for the trophy earned when levelling up?

Cause i would rather stay on my old level and watch my progress go up from there than accept this new, worse system that is meaningles to me. I think that there are some people who agree with me on this.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kristmas2 said:

Cause i would rather stay on my old level and watch my progress go up from there than accept this new, worse system that is meaningles to me. I think that there are some people who agree with me on this.

Couldn’t you just start a new account? You’ll be back on lv30 in like 20mins. Problem solved!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would absolutely love this, the old leveling system was much more motivating for me personally. 

It doesn't hurt anyone to have both available, and it would be really handy to be able to view my old level history.

Honestly I don't mind calculating the level by myself, I just really wish I would have had a chance to screenshot my old level history, or something, before it changed over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pokeslob said:

I would absolutely love this, the old leveling system was much more motivating for me personally. 

It doesn't hurt anyone to have both available, and it would be really handy to be able to view my old level history.

Honestly I don't mind calculating the level by myself, I just really wish I would have had a chance to screenshot my old level history, or something, before it changed over. 

I also think it would be great, cause this new level system is meaniningless for me. It would be great if someone could implement it somehow on this site..

Edited by Kristmas2

I honestly don't really understand why anyone would want this - We are talking about arbitrary numbers on your account that go up as you earn trophies. There really isn't much more to it than that. You get no prizes. You get no bonus for hitting particular levels. I honestly couldn't tell you what level I was before the change & even now, I would have to look at my trophy card to know.

I get that it isn't important to me & that it may be to others, but at least if you have the number that Sony currently support, then you can keep track of where you are with their current system. I really don't see the point in tracking something that means nothing to anyone but yourself & that Sony themselves have moved on from. 

Not a dig, I am just failing to see what benefit having something like that would be? 

1 hour ago, Forrest_01 said:

I honestly don't really understand why anyone would want this - We are talking about arbitrary numbers on your account that go up as you earn trophies. There really isn't much more to it than that. You get no prizes. You get no bonus for hitting particular levels. I honestly couldn't tell you what level I was before the change & even now, I would have to look at my trophy card to know.

I get that it isn't important to me & that it may be to others, but at least if you have the number that Sony currently support, then you can keep track of where you are with their current system. I really don't see the point in tracking something that means nothing to anyone but yourself & that Sony themselves have moved on from. 

Not a dig, I am just failing to see what benefit having something like that would be? 

Some of us were using this old system for the last 10 years to compare overall level of PlayStation players. It has a lot more meaning for some of us than this new system. You knew that someone on level 50 is hardcore, someone on level 10 is a newbie, and someone on level 99 is a no-life :D It is as simple as that  :)

• Like 2