Anyone Else Super Impressed?

DeathlessVoid

Astro's Playroom is just fantastic. Sweet little game. The visuals, audio and gameplay mechanics are better than in some so-called "triple-A" titles.

And the nostalgia factor... Man... It is so on point! I couldn't stop smiling the entire playthrough. Those Easter eggs are awesome.

The only downside to this game is it's length. I would play it for days.

Edited by BubbleJayGum
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll be the first to say that this game hasn't given me the massive hard-on that it's apparently given everyone else. To answer the OP's question, no, I'm not "super impressed". Not with this game, the "Dualsense" controller or the PS5. The game's okay, sure, but I find some of the mechanics and the repetitive music to be annoying.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This game is an instant classic, I know I'm going to get nostalgia from this one day. It reminds me of the feeling I had when playing through Ratchet & Clank on the demo disc that came free with the PS2. 

A must play for anyone with memories of the PS1/PS2 era.

Also, it became my fastest platinum and my first PS5 game to platinum.

Edited by HandsUp1992
Added more detail

Played it as soon as I got my PS5. My first thought, wow. Really impressed not really by the game itself, but because it shows you and takes advantage of all DualSense mechanics at its fullness. Wish it was longer, but it's a perfect game to become familiar with the PS5.

• 4 weeks later...

To think that in the past the achievements did not even exist, this game shows the entire origin of how the playstation and its different accessories evolved,we will see what Asobi has prepared for us later

On 15/05/2023 at 8:04 PM, MrTacoNinja said:

I guess I'll be the first to say that this game hasn't given me the massive hard-on that it's apparently given everyone else. To answer the OP's question, no, I'm not "super impressed". Not with this game, the "Dualsense" controller or the PS5. The game's okay, sure, but I find some of the mechanics and the repetitive music to be annoying.

I think how much you get from the game is very a) age dependent 2) how long you have been in the Sony ecosystem

As someone who owned a PS1, got a PS2 on launch day (that I still own), owns a PS3, had a PS4, and now a PS5, this game had me laughing and crying from start to end. It was just jam packed with 100's of easter eggs.

If you are someone maybe newer to the playstation only joining in recent generations (or you are simply too young to have enjoyed every generation), then it will just be a cutesy platformer of which there are many.

• Like 2

I always have anything controller related completley turned off as I view it as immersion breaking and thus taking away from the experience. When I'm playing, I don't want any other input than what I'm seeing and hearing.

It's unfortunate that the industry think that more than that is required and continue to pour resources into a black hole. As if holding a vibrating controller would somehow make a game better.

No, not really.?

Edited by Mellenthin

On 14/04/2023 at 4:05 PM, BubbleJayGum said:

Astro's Playroom is just fantastic. Sweet little game. The visuals, audio and gameplay mechanics are better than in some so-called "triple-A" titles.

And the nostalgia factor... Man... It is so on point! I couldn't stop smiling the entire playthrough. Those Easter eggs are awesome.

The only downside to this game is it's length. I would play it for days.

Agreed, except I think the length was perfect. Never outstayed its welcome. 

The nostalgia works because the game itself is such a joy to play and the cameos and Easter eggs implemented tastefully. Makes you realise how many great memories have been created with Playstation and how it's been such prominent feature in our lives through the years.

As tech demos go, it's also a fantastic introduction to the PS5 - one of the few next gen games that actually feel next gen 3 years in.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I finally bought PS5 and get to try this wonderful game.

Man, those reviews are not lying.
This game is very fun and brings up so many wonderful memory.

Aside from celebrating Playstation history, in each stages, you can see many reference to popular series, including old series.

Here are some of my memorable references(in random order):

- Chris and Jill hide behind the door, while Wesker look at virus sample

- Solid Snake hides under the boxes

- Kazuya fights and steps on Heihachi

- Dante stylishly juggle enemies with his guns

- Cloud's Buster Sword

- Parappa the Rapper is playing in the pool area.

- Alucard from Castlevania wakes from coffin

- Lara Croft jumps around in cliff while pointing her dual beretta.

- Pyramid Head from Silent Hill

- That Giant Shadow of Colossus

- Crash Bandicoot

and many more .....

I can't believe some of them are even very well animated, like Chris and Jill scene or Tekken scene.

Any references that make you stop playing, just to enjoy the scene and smile?

P.S. I hope Playstation 6 come with similar game like Astro's Playroom.

• Like 2

As someone who didn't grow up with PlayStation (I was already grown by the time the PSX launched), I still highly recommend this game. A definite must-play.