Max Payne 3 x Wolfenstein 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did Mein Leben yesterday. I did MP3 about 2 years ago. Wolfenstein is much much harder. At least in my eyes. Good thing for Wolf is that the game runs smoothly and never crashes as MP3 does.

I did MP3 in my 7th try. In the previous 6, i died 5 times from random grenades in various chapers and 1 run was ruined by a glitch.

Wolfenstein took me a month trying. 1-2 tries per day.

On the main topic on Mein Leben i posted some tips. Hope they help!

Good Luck!

Edited by karpathoulas667
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, karpathoulas667 said:

I did Mein Leben yesterday. I did MP3 about 2 years ago. Wolfenstein is much much harder. At least in my eyes. Good thing for Wolf is that the game runs smoothly and never crashes as MP3 does.

I did MP3 in my 7th try. In the previous 6, i died 5 times from random grenades in various chapers and 1 run was ruined by a glitch.

Wolfenstein took me a month trying. 1-2 tries per day.

On the main topic on Mein Leben i posted some tips. Hope they help!

Good Luck!

Congrats, Max Payne 3 took me 6 tries and Mein Leben only 3, i trained 60h before attempting Mein Leben, and more 50h watching videos, had a pretty much full knowledge of the game, wasnt bad at all, only the mental stress getting to the end haha

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 5:42 AM, Abraniell said:

Still we have things to prove to ourselves so the most important thing is to not give up. If you wanna have a big dick platinum you better come packing

Well I couldn't have said it better ? I'm currently doing Max Payne 3, need to handle that before the servers shutdown and then I'll go for Wolfenstein II ? 

• 1 month later...

The problem with Max Payne 3 is the glitches, not the difficulty. NYMHC is set to Normal difficulty, so it’s plenty doable for anyone willing to beat NYMHC. The glitches can and will ruin your run, so you have to depend on luck. 

Wolfenstein II in contrast seems to be much more skill intensive and fast paced. I haven’t played more than a casual playthrough, but I’m thinking of saving this one for a milestone.

Edited by AJ_Radio
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The problem with Max Payne 3 is the glitches, not the difficulty. NYMHC is set to Normal difficulty, so it’s plenty doable for anyone willing to beat NYMHC. The glitches can and will ruin your run, so you have to depend on luck. 

Wolfenstein II in contrast seems to be much more skill intensive and fast paced. I haven’t played more than a casual playthrough, but I’m thinking of saving this one for a milestone.

Max Payne was harder for me than Wolfenstein!!! Those glitches and freezes were annoying, and on Wolf you dont have to rush and you have some awesome skips and strategies that works wonders, i think they are both 8 out 10 plats tbh

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've beaten Mein leben 3 times and I've been trying NYMHC since the past 2 weeks.. For me (in the minority here), but NYMHC happens to be worse than Mein leben. ML was a lot of practice for sure, but you could take your time and go slow. Have alternate strategies for every part of the game Or hell, skip some parts of the game. 

That's not the case with NYMHC. Every single level can get you killed very easily, despite having practice. Either Last Man Standing, the glitches and freezes, accidentally getting your allies killed somehow or your own mistakes. 

My best run was reaching the very end of the game, to Becker with 5 minutes on the clock and failing there because I didn't notice one grenade from him. Since then each time either my game freezes or I die by my own mistakes. And I've practiced this game A LOT. For me atleast, NYMHC appears to be harder. Its sooo annoying if the game freezes in the second half of the game when you're doing well. Repeated practice, repeated failures sometimes in a very cheap way. 

Off topic and Question for those who have beaten NYMHC.. What was your sensitivity for playing this?Like what setting would you advise for me so i can improve my aim even more to get those sweet headshots?

Its been driving me nuts, because I haven't been able to reach the final level since then. I don't want to give up since I've secured the platinum one month before server shutdown happened, but NYMHC mode has been driving me nuts. I know every level well, but even then something constantly goes wrong and I end up losing several hours each day ?

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, iamrb2212 said:

I've beaten Mein leben 3 times and I've been trying NYMHC since the past 2 weeks.. For me (in the minority here), but NYMHC happens to be worse than Mein leben. ML was a lot of practice for sure, but you could take your time and go slow. Have alternate strategies for every part of the game Or hell, skip some parts of the game. 

That's not the case with NYMHC. Every single level can get you killed very easily, despite having practice. Either Last Man Standing, the glitches and freezes, accidentally getting your allies killed somehow or your own mistakes. 

My best run was reaching the very end of the game, to Becker with 5 minutes on the clock and failing there because I didn't notice one grenade from him. Since then each time either my game freezes or I die by my own mistakes. And I've practiced this game A LOT. For me atleast, NYMHC appears to be harder. Its sooo annoying if the game freezes in the second half of the game when you're doing well. Repeated practice, repeated failures sometimes in a very cheap way. 

Off topic and Question for those who have beaten NYMHC.. What was your sensitivity for playing this?Like what setting would you advise for me so i can improve my aim even more to get those sweet headshots?

Its been driving me nuts, because I haven't been able to reach the final level since then. I don't want to give up since I've secured the platinum one month before server shutdown happened, but NYMHC mode has been driving me nuts. I know every level well, but even then something constantly goes wrong and I end up losing several hours each day 1f614.png

I am 100 % with you on this as well, i did mein leben 2 times, got the plat on both versions and Max payne 3 was harder for me,i guess i am one of the few people who think like this, glad to see i am not the only one

• 3 weeks later...

I have both. Max payne 3 took me 2 tries And Wolfenstein took me 3. For me i say Wolfenstein 2 is 7.5/10 and Max Payne 3 6/10 Difficulty. Dont be mad on me. Wolfenstein 2 you can camp through the whole game behind cover. Try to avoid stealth. That is when you can easily die. Max payne 3 i died at the end and that's it. So Wolf is harder compared to Max payne 3. 

Edited by Tomy_IV
  • Like 2

On 19/01/2022 at 10:18 PM, Tomy_IV said:

I have both. Max payne 3 took me 2 tries And Wolfenstein took me 3. For me i say Wolfenstein 2 is 7/10 and Max Payne 3 6/10 Difficulty. Dont be mad on me. Wolfenstein 2 you can camp through the whole game behind cover. Try to avoid stealth. That is when you can easily die. Max payne 3 i died at the end and that's it. So Wolf is harder compared to Max payne 3. 

Theres a whole forum post dedicated to mein leben and you just mark it down as 7/10?

• 7 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, Tomy_IV said:

I have both. Max payne 3 took me 2 tries And Wolfenstein took me 3. For me i say Wolfenstein 2 is 7.5/10 and Max Payne 3 6/10 Difficulty. Dont be mad on me. Wolfenstein 2 you can camp through the whole game behind cover. Try to avoid stealth. That is when you can easily die. Max payne 3 i died at the end and that's it. So Wolf is harder compared to Max payne 3. 

You are a beast man. Impressive profile too.

I have all the DLC, it’s just a matter of having the willpower to start this game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Max Payne 3 NYMHC is relatively easy when you nail down a method for each level - there's a few difficulty spikes like the office area, but building up time is quite straightforward, and like others have said, it's the freezing which can and will mostly end your runs, particularly in the police station (happened to me twice!). NYMC also cuts out the vast majority of cutscenes, you don't have to sit through a 10 minute opening every single time you die.

Having never played mp3 the people arguing about "i spend x tries on game 1 and x tries on game 2, therefore game 1 is easier" are kinda making no sense. Considering they also said they practiced 50 hours and watched 40 hours of footage, on the game they just said was easier due to amount of tries.

• 2 months later...

Interesting comparison, having just beaten Mein Leben, I'd have to say I found Max Payne 3 much harder for the simple fact that the Mein Leben run has been pretty much streamlined to perfection by now.

From stealth, to level skips, to despawning enemies, to knowing the best places to take cover and fighting from; Wolfenstein 2 is just much more manageable in my opinion.

For a start, in Wolfenstein 2, once you get your Sturmgewhers fully upgraded: You're in business. Regular enemies die in 2-4 shots, robots in about 4-6 and Supersoldatens in around 12-16. By the time you finish Manhattan with your silenced and nailgun Machinepistoles, and fully upgraded Sturmgewhers, you're about 10 times stronger than you were when you started the game. In Max Payne 3, you've no such upgrade potential other than a few extra bullets in your magazines with golden guns. That's even before we start taking the Battle Walker and later Ram Shackles perks into consideration for Wolfenstein.

Next, the enemies themselves in Wolfenstein 2 are a lot more predictable. Even if you mess up a stealth section, most times you can fall back, set up a kill box at a doorway or entrance and just absolutely slaughter every Nazi that comes filtering in with your Sturmgewhers. And totally a personal preference that definitely influences my opinion, but I find aiming and shooting SO much easier in Wolfenstein than Max Payne.

Also, even though New York Minute Hardcore is set to medium difficulty, the enemies are still nothing to sneeze at. Cracha Preto and UFE are tough bastards with pretty solid AI. One of the things I actually really like about Mein Leben/I Am Death Incarnate in Wolfenstein 2 is how the enemies don't become bullet sponges and still die in the same number of shots as usual, they just have a way higher damage output.

For the one or two skips in Wolfenstein (Section F second time, jumping onto the Rocket Train in Roswell, Battle Walker on Venus), they're low risk and pretty easy to pull off. You try and skip ahead in Max Payne 3, you're likely to get shot, fall out of the world, glitch the game by not having assets load in, be unable to progress or just straight up freezing/crashing the game. And God forbid you can't get a shot in during Last Man Standing in Max Payne 3 because of perspective, an obstacle in your way, or you ran out of bullets.

The actual missions themselves come down to personal preference again I reckon. I just narrowly prefer Wolfenstein 2's structure (for a permadeath run, I mean), though that New Orleans, Venus and Ausmerzer gauntlet at the end can be trying. Max Payne 3 is kind of a blur to me to now but I remember the further I got, the stress kicked up a notch to the point where when I got to Chapter 12, the adrenaline had my heart beating out of my chest. I feel like once you beat the Courthouse in Wolfenstein 2, you've got good momentum carrying you forward.

Overall, two fantastic games that I love and have gained even more of an appreciation for by beating their permadeath modes.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 1:18 AM, bdias10 said:

Hey guys, i am thinking about starting this game and i have this odd feeling that i could not be able to get it done, even it is a less than 1 % ultra rare plat, i hate not being able to plat any game, so i was going to ask how much harder is this platinum compared to max payne 3? I did it max payne with 6 attempts, i know it is a complete different genre of games, but the platinum seems to demand the same kind of requirements....Which one is harder for you? Congrats on anyone who managed to do this, this looks insane.

Wolfenstein II Platinum is very very hard (10/10) because of one trophy (mein leben trophy) 

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 0:22 AM, megamac1296 said:

Interesting comparison, having just beaten Mein Leben, I'd have to say I found Max Payne 3 much harder for the simple fact that the Mein Leben run has been pretty much streamlined to perfection by now.

From stealth, to level skips, to despawning enemies, to knowing the best places to take cover and fighting from; Wolfenstein 2 is just much more manageable in my opinion.

For a start, in Wolfenstein 2, once you get your Sturmgewhers fully upgraded: You're in business. Regular enemies die in 2-4 shots, robots in about 4-6 and Supersoldatens in around 12-16. By the time you finish Manhattan with your silenced and nailgun Machinepistoles, and fully upgraded Sturmgewhers, you're about 10 times stronger than you were when you started the game. In Max Payne 3, you've no such upgrade potential other than a few extra bullets in your magazines with golden guns. That's even before we start taking the Battle Walker and later Ram Shackles perks into consideration for Wolfenstein.

Next, the enemies themselves in Wolfenstein 2 are a lot more predictable. Even if you mess up a stealth section, most times you can fall back, set up a kill box at a doorway or entrance and just absolutely slaughter every Nazi that comes filtering in with your Sturmgewhers. And totally a personal preference that definitely influences my opinion, but I find aiming and shooting SO much easier in Wolfenstein than Max Payne.

Also, even though New York Minute Hardcore is set to medium difficulty, the enemies are still nothing to sneeze at. Cracha Preto and UFE are tough bastards with pretty solid AI. One of the things I actually really like about Mein Leben/I Am Death Incarnate in Wolfenstein 2 is how the enemies don't become bullet sponges and still die in the same number of shots as usual, they just have a way higher damage output.

For the one or two skips in Wolfenstein (Section F second time, jumping onto the Rocket Train in Roswell, Battle Walker on Venus), they're low risk and pretty easy to pull off. You try and skip ahead in Max Payne 3, you're likely to get shot, fall out of the world, glitch the game by not having assets load in, be unable to progress or just straight up freezing/crashing the game. And God forbid you can't get a shot in during Last Man Standing in Max Payne 3 because of perspective, an obstacle in your way, or you ran out of bullets.

The actual missions themselves come down to personal preference again I reckon. I just narrowly prefer Wolfenstein 2's structure (for a permadeath run, I mean), though that New Orleans, Venus and Ausmerzer gauntlet at the end can be trying. Max Payne 3 is kind of a blur to me to now but I remember the further I got, the stress kicked up a notch to the point where when I got to Chapter 12, the adrenaline had my heart beating out of my chest. I feel like once you beat the Courthouse in Wolfenstein 2, you've got good momentum carrying you forward.

Overall, two fantastic games that I love and have gained even more of an appreciation for by beating their permadeath modes.

Thats a really well described comment! Will check it out!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would rank the no death runs like this: 1. Shadows Rushed Me (Max Payne 3). It’s the 2nd longest run, friendly fire will end the run, there is no level skips, there are multiple bosses and one hit kill parts.

2. Messiah (Outlast 2)- Probably the 3rd longest. Most parts are instant kill if you mess up. The walkthroughs online are not great. Because Outlast 2 has patched this game several times changing the layout of the game. 
3. Mein Leben (Wolfenstein 2) - Shortest of all the campaigns, lots of level skips and parts to cheese including the court house and final bosses. The end of the run is very forgiving. 
4. One Shot (Alien Isolation). This is the longest campaign and would be by far the hardest if not for save scum. Which is weird at best.