Poll: MP or NOT MP

Bullstomp

MP or NOT MP  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Many games nowadays are coming out with a Multiplayer component often with mixed results. How do you feel about this trend?

• I LOVE multiplayer in video games so I think it is a good thing
    • Multiplayer makes sense with some games but not all the games that have it now (Batman: Origins, God of War: Ascension and Tomb Raider are great examples of "Leave it SP")
    • I don't play multiplayer games at all.
    • Other - Please answer in a post below.

So making a game longer to tell the story is "artificially dragging" it? But making 3 games to tell the same story is fine? (Uncharted). Instead of making one long, great game, they stretch it into 3 and toss in multiplayer so they can make more money. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with Last of Us.

Guess you could say that about any game or movie that has ever had a sequel... which is a ridiculous point to make. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to wait until 2011 to play Uncharted for the first time... what with them developing 3 games in 1 and all.

Not to mention that they are three completely different, virtually stand alone stories. I'd rather the developers keep their stories and visions intact, then try to slam them all into one so you can save a few bucks.

Edited by Dreakon13

Guess you could say that about any game or movie that has ever had a sequel... which is a ridiculous point to make. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to wait until 2011 to play Uncharted for the first time... what with them developing 3 games in 1 and all.

Not to mention that they are three completely different, virtually stand alone stories. I'd rather the developers keep their stories and visions intact, then try to slam them all into one so you can save a few bucks.

Good point, but I like money. Plus if they had made it into one game we could've potentially gotten some other new IPs from Naughty Dog over the last couple of years instead of sequel after sequel. Oh well, different opinions from different people and I respect yours.

Good point, but I like money. Plus if they had made it into one game we could've potentially gotten some other new IPs from Naughty Dog over the last couple of years instead of sequel after sequel. Oh well, different opinions from different people and I respect yours.

Agree to disagree.

Have to admit though, if they built all three games on the Uncharted 1 engine and never looked at it again, the developers would've never had the time, resources, experience and user input to hit the series peak with Uncharted 2. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

I always think that having more options is good, but don't get me wrong if the developers are going to put multiplayer just for increase the replay value (life spam) of the game, well we got a problem. It mostly depends on the game and the developer intention. Said that if the multiplayer is fun i'll pay it. And what about the trophies... well a challenge from time to time is not bad.  ;)

I don't really have an issue with the mp option EXCEPT when the trophies/achievements are ridiculous,.ie Uncharted. Now don't get me wrong, I love the series, but the mp trophies are almost unobtainable and that is bullshit especially when ND goes out of their way to make boosting non existent. For a time I had been playing UC3 mp non stop (6-7 months) and have BARELY made a dent in the online trophies.....that is lame and made the online feature no fun. Had to put it down for a while. Not to mention the rage quitters, and dbags that would not cooperate if you were lucky enough to boost. That said, all the other games i played online were fun and not terribly time consuming (Assassin's creed, NFS,TR, etc).

Normally I would say that I don't play multiplayer games, But now I'm playing The Last of Us, Killzone Mercenary and GTA 5 (when the cloud servers don't fuck up) and really enjoying it. Multiplayer shouldn't be in games because the developers thought they needed too. But if a developer thinks they have a cool idea for multiplayer, then what's wrong with that?

if the developers are going to put multiplayer just for increase the replay value (life spam) of the game, well we got a problem

Why is that a "problem" exactly? It does add replay value for some, and if you don't like it, you always have the option to not use it...

I like multiplayer, I like that kind of competition that an AI just can't deliver, sadly, I try to stay away from it because my internet sucks xD

But I do believe every game is capable of having a good mp (god of war? who would've thought?), keeping in mind I have only played 3 mp games so far RDR, Uncharted 2 and Farcry, the first two were excelent, I was part of incredible matches and co-op adventures on both and enjoyed them a lot.

But, we all have seen how developers believe that having an mp is good "just because", and while most people would say, "nobody is forcing you to play it", well, you paid for it so they might as well make it worth the money, no game has the option of selling only the sp for 40$ or so, thats why I believe mp should be considered as soon as the game is in development to ensure a good quality and not just a feature added the last month of work.

• Like 1

I'm fine with multiplayer being in the game, but I hate online trophies. They're always ridiculous and take way longer than the rest of the trophies combined. I also just don't like playing multiplayer, and being forced to grind through 100+ matches is just way too much. Especially if it's an older game that no longer has an active player base.

My point of view matches the closest with the second option. I'm just really old fashion and do most of my gaming offline with the exception of games that heavily revolve around an online co-op campaign or is completely an online MP (i.e. Lost Planet 2 and Warhawk respectively). Otherwise, I may try out a game's multiplayer mode but won't spend too much time on it.

Edited by merciful84