DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Science report

Beautiful stuff, loved the DS3 entry. Game is very good but it also felt that there was something missing from it, compared to its predecessors.

Plus, so many uninteresting areas + Painting of Ariandel which was...let's not remember Ariamis.

Bosses however were 10/10. Even the sucky ones, at least they looked impressive. 

Assassin's Creed TROIX HOWEVER

aGZ2AeZ_460s.jpg

There, review done xD Better than Liberation imo, but my god just no.

NOW! Since requests are still ongoing, whenever you will find the time, no rush no biggie, do make a review for the rest of them Prince of Persia games ! This time you kinda have to do them in order because that's the charm of PoP, from "1000 Arabian Nights" to "It's not a phase mom" to finally "revenge with my imaginary friend"(I did love them lots though).

Eagerly waiting for the next science bulletin!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I was gonna register a multiple post, Jak 2-esque complaint in defense of gta4, but I just don't have the energy (and the outrage would be entirely fictional anyway).

Definitely fair, and the online stuff for the plat deserves all the evisceration it gets - I finished it (story, not achievements!) on my 360 and from a trophy hunter perspective I'm not sure I want to bother on my ps3... in spite of actually physically owning it! Regardless, I will always have a soft spot for that game as a whole?

Yeah GTAIV is one of those games where, while I personally never really gelled with it, I can never, and would never, mount any kind of full-throated attack on it, or argue it’s merits with the people who love it, because I can clearly recognise that the stuff that put me off was entirely mechanical. If it had been basically the same game, but with the controls and input pacing of GTAV, I suspect I would have loved it, and so because it’s really a case of my own irritation with controls, I don’t see my issues as universal.
Saying it is ‘just bad’ simply because of that would be like saying a pair of scissors were not useful, just because they are designed for right handed people, and I’m a lefty!

7 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Also your review of Brothers has seen it join my to-play list. I'm lovin this, you're like a gaming version of 'Eat This, Not That!'

Awesome! Brothers is a hell of a game - hope you enjoy as much as I did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Beautiful stuff, loved the DS3 entry. Game is very good but it also felt that there was something missing from it, compared to its predecessors.

Plus, so many uninteresting areas + Painting of Ariandel which was...let's not remember Ariamis.

Bosses however were 10/10. Even the sucky ones, at least they looked impressive. 

Thank you mate - yeah, still an outstanding game, but with such a sizeable family by that point, standing out is just that much harder!

Assassin's Creed TROIX HOWEVER

aGZ2AeZ_460s.jpg

There, review done xD Better than Liberation imo, but my god just no.

For some reason, that meme just makes me want someone to do one of those ‘MrX’ Mods for Resident Evil 2 Remake, replacing MrX with a grimacing Connor-bot ?

NOW! Since requests are still ongoing, whenever you will find the time, no rush no biggie, do make a review for the rest of them Prince of Persia games ! This time you kinda have to do them in order because that's the charm of PoP, from "1000 Arabian Nights" to "It's not a phase mom" to finally "revenge with my imaginary friend"(I did love them lots though).

Eagerly waiting for the next science bulletin!

absolutely - I shall flag them with your name ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Chop- CHOP - CHOPPITY CHOP

Great post man! Nice to hear a bit of the methodology - a peak behind the wizards curtain so to speak :D  (Look at me with my 82 year old film references haha!)

That bit about wanting to remain at the very least fair when reviewing them resonated with me quite a lot actually. Its all too easy isn't it to get caught up in your own love and hysteria for a title, that you tend to just gloss over the bits that weren't quite the immaculate experience that you remember, if you don't stop yourself. At least that's what I'm finding anyway.

I wouldn't worry about the length of the reviews either. Its not easy to really condense everything you feel about a game into a few sentences and still come across passionate about those titles. Your passion for the games you've played really comes across in a fascinating way  with how fluently  you write. So that alone should keep people interested, even if it isn't a game they might have played. I know I'd personally struggle to write shorter reviews, so I've sort of abandoned the shorter form thing myself.

Funny you should mention writing practice too, one of the reasons I started my own thread was to actually get a bit of writing practice again, I'm really enjoying what that process has turned into myself, but I'm not trying to hijack this like a silly person. That's genuinely a scary thought about how many words will actually have gone into all of this by the end, that would make me want to slump into a corner and rock back and forth for a while.

I'm absolutely sure people will continue to read and enjoy this awesome journey whatever length they are - I know I 100% definitely will.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I'm afraid I must tug at your pant leg with another request - Fallout 4. I am elbow deep into the completion process and a strange love/hate relationship is developing. Frankly, I need science to help me make sense of it?

Absolutely mate, I’ll flag for priority assessment with your name ?

I think it might be a couple of batches before I get to that one though, as I think I need to approach Fallout 3 at least, before I get to it

• Like 2

Well, here I am, Mr. Hypocrisy, hoping that you will touch upon the trophies for RAD (in case you convince me to get / avoid it) while hoping that you won't mention them when reviewing Little Nightmares (as I know what you think about one trophy in particular...) ?

Oh well.. looking forward to the Batch!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

Well, here I am, Mr. Hypocrisy, hoping that you will touch upon the trophies for RAD (in case you convince me to get / avoid it) while hoping that you won't mention them when reviewing Little Nightmares (as I know what you think about one trophy in particular...) 1f602.png

Oh well.. looking forward to the Batch!!

Haha - yeah, I suspect I will need to at least mention the trophies in both of those - Little Nightmares only a little, as there is one I took significant issue with, as detrimental to the game, but RAD... that's going to be an interesting test case.

The trophy lists for rogue-likes do certainly have to mentioned, as that is what defines the 'length' of them to some extent, and RAD has some stuff that needs to be said about it... ?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

A Way Out
Fallout 3
Ratchet & Clank

I'm particularly interested in this next update. We usually have very similar tastes but we might have divergence here... I'm in the hipster-curmudgeon camp and living the 'hater' life with these three in finding them drastically overrated. 

A Way Out: a mishmash of every prison movie cliche from all three prison movies you've seen.

Fallout 3: so riddled with trademark Bethesda "bugfeatures" that they needed to design a pause-the-game-and-select-which-body-part-you-want-the-game-to-autoshoot mechanic to fix an inability to program a useful aim assist.

Ratchet and Clank 2016: completely misunderstood what made the original's plot and characters so great and turned a great game for 9-13 year olds into a downright annoying game for 6-9 year olds. Ratchet is disturbingly milktoast in this game compared to the original.

My 3 cents for you... don't spend it all at once.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Ratchet and Clank 2016: completely misunderstood what made the original's plot and characters so great and turned a great game for 9-13 year olds into a downright annoying game for 6-9 year olds. Ratchet is disturbingly milktoast in this game compared to the original.

I don't know that I agree on that one for the remake of R&C... will need to wait for the science of course ? - but I should note, the one I'm looking at in this next batch is the original game re-release for the PS3, not the remake

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Haven't played the remake, but I've heard some similar things. One YouTuber (a big R&C fan) said that the main characters don't even argue with each other in the remake, they're instantly friends, or something like that. And there's one giant video essay called "How Ratchet Lost Its Edge" which I haven't watched yet. It's 80 minutes long, and I'm not ready to spend that much time on it yet ?. And I certainly need to play the 2016 game first.

But yeah, the one I requested was the very first game, or in this case, the PS Vita port/remaster of it. ?

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

Haven't played the remake, but I've heard some similar things. One YouTuber (a big R&C fan) said that the main characters don't even argue with each other in the remake, they're instantly friends, or something like that. And there's one giant video essay called "How Ratchet Lost Its Edge" which I haven't watched yet. It's 80 minutes long, and I'm not ready to spend that much time on it yet 1f605.png. And I certainly need to play the 2016 game first.

But yeah, the one I requested was the very first game, or in this case, the PS Vita port/remaster of it. 1f642.png

That's actually a pretty good way to spend 80 minutes that "How Ratchet Lost its Edge" video it flies by. Incredibly informative and analytical too, as are pretty much all of GamingBritShow's Ratchet and, well all of his content actually :D. Definitely one I'd recommend checking out if/whenever you decide to play the 2016 version.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Haven't played the remake, but I've heard some similar things. One YouTuber (a big R&C fan) said that the main characters don't even argue with each other in the remake, they're instantly friends, or something like that. And there's one giant video essay called "How Ratchet Lost Its Edge" which I haven't watched yet. It's 80 minutes long, and I'm not ready to spend that much time on it yet 1f605.png. And I certainly need to play the 2016 game first.

But yeah, the one I requested was the very first game, or in this case, the PS Vita port/remaster of it. 1f642.png

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's actually a pretty good way to spend 80 minutes that "How Ratchet Lost its Edge" video it flies by. Incredibly informative and analytical too, as are pretty much all of GamingBritShow's Ratchet and, well all of his content actually :D. Definitely one I'd recommend checking out if/whenever you decide to play the 2016 version.

I went and watched this just now based on the recommendation and subsequent upvotes. The analysis was *on point.* 

Was not a waste of 80 minutes, I can assure you of that. Wish I saw it before playing the game, then I wouldn't have wasted 20 hours on the remaster. 

• Like 2

Following commander Shepherd as she (yes, she, till I die motherfuckers!) assembles a crew to face down rogue Spectre Saren, uncovering a plot by progenitor machine race the Reapers, here embodied by the malevolent Sovereign, to follow through on an age old and prophesied culling of organic life in the galaxy, the game does something absolutely remarkable: It creates and explores, over the course of its 30-ish hours, an entire, functional and complicated universal lore, documenting thousands of years of universal history, and populating that lore with a rich and complex spectrum of races, alliances, history and interdependent narrative hooks that were a bedrock capable of sustaining an entire trilogy of games.

It is remarkable how quickly the player feels 'at home' in the galaxy Bioware has created. The rich history and great writing afforded to even the most minor of areas and aspects is really impressive, and while some aspects of the universe, such as the Salarian history or the Turian / Human historical conflict are only hinted at, it is done so in a way that allowed for significant fleshing out of the concepts in subsequent games, without the need for ret-con or contradiction.

This is what is missing from Andromeda btw 

Excellent read as always Doctor. I could have written your entries on A Way Out and Fallout 3 myself, significantly less well though of course.

Your review of Little Nightmares has had the opposite effect on me than your Transistor review though. The speed run/no death trophy felt manageable but those random variations out of nowhere are possibly my most hated thing in games. Its position on my to play list is in jeopardy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

This is what is missing from Andromeda btw 

Yeah, that seems to be the thrust of what I’m hearing - a step forward in combat, and sevral steps back in the narrative.

A shame, but I’ll see how I feel after finishing the LE trilogy - if my appetite is still there, I may still check Andromeda out from a curiosity point of view.

I suspect knowing what I’m in for, and managing expectations will help.

Excellent read as always Doctor. I could have written your entries on A Way Out and Fallout 3 myself, significantly less well though of course.

thank you sir!

Your review of Little Nightmares has had the opposite effect on me than your Transistor review though. The speed run/no death trophy felt manageable but those random variations out of nowhere are possibly my most hated thing in games. Its position on my to play list is in jeopardy!

Oh, I wouldn’t let it put you off - the game is wonderful really - and that trophy can be save scummed if necessary... to be honest, if I had done that from the beginning it might not have driven me to such distraction - I did end up doing it myself, as I couldn’t handle repeating the first few levels over again after the first 10 or so tries in a row.

It is a game worth playing for sure - I don’t want to think I had a hand in waving you off it.... if nothing else, you HAVE to experience the moment I referenced. It’s just ??delightfully macabre!

• Like 1

You know.. Here I am, fighting to put together coherent sentences, trying to avoid making too many spelling and grammar errors... And then you come along and - or so it seems - quickly and effortlessly review 150+ games, with each review being on an incredibly high literal level ?

I really enjoy reading your reviews, especially when I'm interested in the game as well.

So, Little Nightmares... I'm glad to see that it ended up that high on the list :) For quite some time it was one of my favorite games, and one of the few games that made an very long lasting impact. I played it four (?) years ago, right around release, and still today I still know the entire game's progression route pretty much by heart... 

If Little Nightmares 2 is equally good... Man, really looking forward to getting to that one soon! 

As for the no-death / speedrun trophy.. It really didn't bother me at all. If anything, I found it really fun to go for. I played Little Nightmares at a time where I dind't necessarily play too many challenging games. And more importantly, I played it very early after creating my account (never had an online gaming account before.. so no trophies or achievements in previous generations). And so, going for this trophy was... fun, different, exciting! And pulling it off felt amazing :) I understand your complaints though! It is just not something I thought about, especially since I didn't have other games with similar requirements that I could compare this to. 

Also, back then the WR for the any% speedrun was still somewhere around 50 minutes (it is 41 minutes today), so to be able to pull this off you pretty much needed to be on WR pace ?

Now, for RAD... The post-game grind sounds awful... But I am not one to avoid a game due to difficulty / grindyness / length if I'm otherwise interested in the game, and you sure make it seems like RAD is a game worth trying out. Seeing it so close to Nex Machina really makes me wanna play it ?

One question though... 156 runs sounds like a lot... How long does a run take? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

You know.. Here I am, fighting to put together coherent sentences, trying to avoid making too many spelling and grammar errors... And then you come along and - or so it seems - quickly and effortlessly review 150+ games, with each review being on an incredibly high literal level 1f602.png

I really enjoy reading your reviews, especially when I'm interested in the game as well.

I appreciate that mate, thank you ☺️

So, Little Nightmares... I'm glad to see that it ended up that high on the list :) For quite some time it was one of my favorite games, and one of the few games that made an very long lasting impact. I played it four (?) years ago, right around release, and still today I still know the entire game's progression route pretty much by heart... 

If Little Nightmares 2 is equally good... Man, really looking forward to getting to that one soon! 

As for the no-death / speedrun trophy.. It really didn't bother me at all. If anything, I found it really fun to go for. I played Little Nightmares at a time where I dind't necessarily play too many challenging games. And more importantly, I played it very early after creating my account (never had an online gaming account before.. so no trophies or achievements in previous generations). And so, going for this trophy was... fun, different, exciting! And pulling it off felt amazing :) I understand your complaints though! It is just not something I thought about, especially since I didn't have other games with similar requirements that I could compare this to. 

Also, back then the WR for the any% speedrun was still somewhere around 50 minutes (it is 41 minutes today), so to be able to pull this off you pretty much needed to be on WR pace 1f602.png

Yeah, there was certainly a bit of an added factor of my own bull-headedness  - I really didn't want to resort to 'save-scumming' the trophy, though after 10 or 15 runs, I did end up doing it after chapter 2, just to try and avoid having to do all of the first two levels again - and if I had done that from the start, it would likely have been so inconsequential an experience that I would not really have remembered it negatively. It really didn't sour me on the game though - it's such a difficult style of 'Hans Christian Anderson / The City of Lost Children type fairytale horror' to nail, and they do it so well, that it would be a great shame if that one trophy put anyone off experiencing it. 

I think I'll probably do the second one's review pretty soon, should be in the next few batches - I'll flag it with your name so I don't forget! ?

(Spoiler alert - it has no similar trophy!)

Now, for RAD... The post-game grind sounds awful... But I am not one to avoid a game due to difficulty / grindyness / length if I'm otherwise interested in the game, and you sure make it seems like RAD is a game worth trying out. Seeing it so close to Nex Machina really makes me wanna play it 1f602.png

One question though... 156 runs sounds like a lot... How long does a run take? 1f605.png

Yeah, I'd say go for RAD - it is really fun, and has a style that's pretty unique, and the combat is certainly simple, but fun, and the variations of weapons keeps it fresh, even where the variety of enemies is a bit limited.

(Not to mention, it is criminally underplayed, and chalk full of Ultra Rare, if those matter at all!)

A full run (a successful one) is probably in the 45-60 minutes area, but that wasn't the case for those 156. The way the RNG worked out for me, the one thing II had left to get was only spawn-able in level 1-2, so those runs were just enough to get through 1-1, then explore 1-2 fully, to see if the stars had aligned in my favour, so only in the 7-10 minute range. Not too long, but then, at 10 minutes a pop, that was still 26 hours of running the same level - not exactly a short amount of time, especially since I had already mastered the game ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

So glad you see R&C ahead of Jak. i like both series but ive always seen R&C ahead of Jak and even like games such as Sly Cooper.

Oh, for sure - that was never really in question for me.

I actually missed almost all those character-action platformers back in their original PS1 / PS2 days - I think my immediate dislike of Crash Bandicoot gave me a false sense that the whole genre wasn't for me, but I discovered most of them with the PS3 rereleased trilogy stuff, and was pleasantly surprised in some cases - but most of all by R&C. It just seems to hit the sweet spot between shooter and platformer perfectly. 

As probably the only person in history to play Resistance Fall of Man before any R&C game, it was weird and cool to see where Insomniac's love of weird weapons came from!

Really wish my ps3 worked, id go plat 3, and Into the Nexus

You know, Into the Nexus and A Crack in Time are the only two I still haven't ever played - and ironically, the ones people most consistently cite as the best ones! ??

One of these days I need to get on that - I think I have PS3 copies lying around in the garage somewhere of both - I'm thinking after the new PS5 one, my appetite might be re-whetted and I'll maybe dive back into the PS3 stuff and play them

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know, Into the Nexus and A Crack in Time are the only two I still haven't ever played - and ironically, the ones people most consistently cite as the best ones! 1f62e.png1f602.png

i really enjoyed Crack in Time.  My hope for Rift Apart is a decent campaign. give me 20hrs, 26+ with extras... not like 10hrs lol. (i can dream), and i hope that Rivet stays in the series. Yes i love R&C but adding an extra character could bring new dimensions.

Similar to Spider-Man sequel in development soon(i hope) would have Miles and Peter both

I can understand the Crash hate. I personally like Crash, but it was a nostalgia thing. 4 was keeping it to the roots. But i grew up in the Crash vs Spyro, and was always team Crash.

i have a weird attraction to games where you play as some kind of animal. Im always like YES!... Biomutant, i keep calling the mutant a cat lmao... need to start that.

Also... ugh. Resistance 1 and 2. omg. so good. 3.... not so much. But id love to see this series come back. 

• Like 1