DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

@DrBloodmoney I played....or should I say "experienced" Proteus a few months back and enjoyed it quite a lot for what it is.  Your review is spot on.  Is it a game?  Is it simply just a virtual experience?  I don't know for sure and I don't care.  I've always considered video games, on one level or another, to be an art form - interactive art, I believe.  Is Proteus a work of art then?  I would say so.  I, too, 100%ed the game.  It probably took me somewhere's between 5 and 7 hours and I enjoyed that time.  I found it to be a relaxing, meditative experience.  A welcome change from the shooters and fighting and what-not. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

@DrBloodmoney I played....or should I say "experienced" Proteus a few months back and enjoyed it quite a lot for what it is.  Your review is spot on.  Is it a game?  Is it simply just a virtual experience?  I don't know for sure and I don't care.  I've always considered video games, on one level or another, to be an art form - interactive art, I believe.  Is Proteus a work of art then?  I would say so.  I, too, 100%ed the game.  It probably took me somewhere's between 5 and 7 hours and I enjoyed that time.  I found it to be a relaxing, meditative experience.  A welcome change from the shooters and fighting and what-not. 

Absolutely - with no great mystery to solve, planet to save or challenge to overcome, you aren’t coming away with any ‘war stories’ to tell, or accomplishments to brag about…

…but then, going for a walk in the countryside doesn’t give any of those things either. That’s not to say doing so is pointless or lacking value though.

Proteus is really a thing that, I think, what you get from it is what you choose to interpret and take away from it - and, regardless of whether someone enjoys it - that is art. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Absolutely - with no great mystery to solve, planet to save or challenge to overcome, you aren’t coming away with any ‘war stories’ to tell, or accomplishments to brag about…

…but then, going for a walk in the countryside doesn’t give any of those things either. That’s not to say doing so is pointless or lacking value though.

Proteus is really a thing that, I think, what you get from it is what you choose to interpret and take away from it - and, regardless of whether someone enjoys it - that is art. 

Agreed. ??

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

I don’t know if you have a “ schedule “ or something  for reviews but what’s your opinion about The surge? I played 2 and I liked it am I going to like 1?

I don’t have a schedule, though if you’d like, I can add The Surge to the priority rankings - which means I’ll try to get to it in the next few batches?

I can say though - for what it’s worth as a pre-science preview ? - I liked the Surge 2 quite a bit… but thought the first game was even better!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spider-Man916 said:

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Games like Flower and Journey do a great job in expressing the art form. Then there is stuff like Aab's Animals where you get all the trophies in five minutes. Nothing but looking at a cat.

The World of Nubla, despite how easy it is, can also be considered a work of art.

• Like 2

Proteus was produced by just two guys, there's a particularly ravishing soundtrack that gives me a huge sense of contemplation, it's the kind of thing that stays forever tucked away in a special little place in my heart.

On 21/06/2021 at 7:01 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Games like Flower and Journey do a great job in expressing the art form.

Certainly agree on Journey - I found the message of that game really hit me exactly right - and was pretty powerful in the way it did it.

Flower... I don't know...

I've always secretly wondered if I'm just missing something with that game.

It looks pretty, sure, and I certainly didn't dislike it - but I do remember back when it was often held up as an example of artistic expression in video-games -  I never quite understood why. What was it actually expressing?

I could never really discern any actual message it was trying to convey - unless, of course, the message was simply "videogames don't have to have guns" which, I guess was of some value back when it came out, and there were less mainstream games of that type?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The Ranking:

In terms of 3D, story-based puzzle games, the highest mark on the list so far that compares is probably The Spectrum Retreat, but, as much as I liked that game, Obra Dinn is on an entirely different level.

Much higher up, there are some similarities to excellent space-based and exploration puzzler Observation, but that game, while great, and featuring a story I liked a lot, is not anywhere close to Obra Dinn either. It has great visuals, but they are more in the 'realistic' realm, and as such, certainly less memorable or stand-out than Obra Dinn's signature look, and the voice work in that game, while of excellent quality, is artistic flair. In Obra Dinn, it is both artistic flair, and required function, which is much harder to pull off.

As we work upwards, matchups with bigger, grander games keep coming, but with each, some flaws exist, which may be minor in the grand scheme of those specific games, but stand out when compared with a shorter, but near flawless experience such as Obra Dinn.

In the end, without any further puzzle-game comparison points, it comes down to other aspects. Hotline Miami also features an incredible art-style, used fantastically, and has its own auditory flair in the form of its incredible cultivated soundtrack. It is the first game to truly give me grief in a matchup.
In the end, Obra Dinn takes it, as, while vastly less repeatable, the satisfaction of solving Obra Dinn outmatches even the satisfaction of finishing Hotline Miami, and Hotline, while great, does have some low points across its 10 hour length. Obra Dinn has, across its 10-ish hours, none.

The difficulty of the bout though, means Obra Dinn finds its well-deserved spot, just above Hotline Miami.

Ranking RotOD has got to be tough.  Its in this weird spot where objectively, this is a 10/10 game (the game is basically perfect.  There's just nothing, that I can identify, wrong with it. On top of that it executes its premise to perfection, has engaging gameplay, and a well told story, like Lucus Pope...WTF man.), but I can see as it starts to match up with some heavy hitters that even though they have more flaws and I'd rate them lower on a 10 scale, they would be higher on my individual list.  For example, looking at the games that you have S ranked and put above it.  I think Obra Dinn is a better game than All 3 Mass Effects individually, The Last of Us, and Shadow of Colossus (which I played back on PS2), but if I were to put them on a list like this, I think I would have it below all of them except The Last of Us (a hot take review coming to a trophy checklist near you soonish).  I think this is what makes experiences like this so neat and why I love reading stuff like your scientific reviews. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Ranking RotOD has got to be tough.  Its in this weird spot where objectively, this is a 10/10 game (the game is basically perfect.  There's just nothing, that I can identify, wrong with it. On top of that it executes its premise to perfection, has engaging gameplay, and a well told story, like Lucus Pope...WTF man.), but I can see as it starts to match up with some heavy hitters that even though they have more flaws and I'd rate them lower on a 10 scale, they would be higher on my individual list.  For example, looking at the games that you have S ranked and put above it.  I think Obra Dinn is a better game than All 3 Mass Effects individually, The Last of Us, and Shadow of Colossus (which I played back on PS2), but if I were to put them on a list like this, I think I would have it below all of them except The Last of Us (a hot take review coming to a trophy checklist near you soonish).  I think this is what makes experiences like this so neat and why I love reading stuff like your scientific reviews. 

It's true - there is a certain inherent ridiculousness to this list because of the massive, disparate differences across genres (which is part of what I love about doing it!).
The question about how well executed a game is in it's chosen genre has to come in, and to be honest, if there was a single factor that seems to rear up as the most common 'deciding factor' looking at the list, that is probably it (with 'variability of play-style', 'replayability', and 'cohesiveness of tone' as equal 'second place' factors)

It does make for very strange overall placements of-course, when something like Obra Dinn (which is small, and very specific in it's aims, yet executed flawlessly) come in. It sort of get into the idea of:

"Okay, it's a cooking competition. You've made a lavish, eight course meal, all of which is very good, and this other guy made one bread roll, but it's the most incredible bread roll ever made by man. Who wins?" ?

In the end, a lot of it comes down to feel - and of course, these are subjective opinions, but, the one very important thing I would tell people to consider when looking at the list, is not to necessarily look just at the raw ranking, but at the ranking vs. the scope of the game.

If the game is a massive, 'Triple A' (God I hate that term), huge budget, 50-60 hour epic, and it is placed 40th, and there is a small, specific, niche or esoteric game from a small dev, and it is placed 41st... while I stand by the ranking, I'd still say the 41st place is potentially a more interesting or better experience - it just has inherent stuff based on size and scope that hold it back a little, you know?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

"Okay, it's a cooking competition. You've made a lavish, eight course meal, all of which is very good, and this other guy made one bread roll, but it's the most incredible bread roll ever made by man. Who wins?"

Obviously the Judges ??. Which is a funny parallel, because that would be we the Players who get to enjoy all of these great experiences, and some stinky ones too (As an aside, 2nd worst is almost as frustrating as being 2nd best, poor legends of wrestlemania ?).  

10 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If the game is a massive, 'Triple A' (God I hate that term), huge budget, 50-60 hour epic, and it is placed 40th, and there is a small, specific, niche or esoteric game from a small dev, and it is placed 41st... while I stand by the ranking, I'd still say the 41st place is potentially a more interesting or better experience - it just has inherent stuff based on size and scope that hold it back a little, you know?

It definitely makes sense (Im kinda terrified for the gaming industry if Lucus Pope ever gets a team of people together.  Imagine what they could do then ?) .  

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

'Triple A' (God I hate that term)

On an sort of unrelated note, I think 'Triple A' is an interesting scientific anomaly.  It's a category similar to fish, which is not at all useful taxonomically, the same way that 'Triple A' isn't a useful way to describe the way a video game is developed.  That being said, the same way that when people talk about fish, if someone say Triple A, we get a pretty good idea of what kind of games they are talking about.  Humans are neat. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Obviously the Judges 1f602.png1f602.png. Which is a funny parallel, because that would be we the Players who get to enjoy all of these great experiences, and some stinky ones too (As an aside, 2nd worst is almost as frustrating as being 2nd best, poor legends of wrestlemania 1f62d.png).  

Haha, oh man, that freakin' WWE game ? - I tell you, I'm not even a big fan or Wrestling, and even I felt insulted by the quality of that game. I can only imagine how crushing those games must be for people who are actively invested in the grand shakespearian drama and the performance of the sport.

It definitely makes sense (Im kinda terrified for the gaming industry if Lucus Pope ever gets a team of people together.  Imagine what they could do then 1f631.png) .  

It's true - part of me fears it would be diluted and not work as well... but then, Johnathon Blow got a team, and made The Witness, so greatness isn't always diluted by volume, sometimes it can simply be magnified.

On an sort of unrelated note, I think 'Triple A' is an interesting scientific anomaly.  It's a category similar to fish, which is not at all useful taxonomically, the same way that 'Triple A' isn't a useful way to describe the way a video game is developed.  That being said, the same way that when people talk about fish, if someone say Triple A, we get a pretty good idea of what kind of games they are talking about.  Humans are neat. 

It's true - it is an unfortunately useful short-hand - just a pity it means so little really. I mean, when someone says AAA, I know they don't mean something like Obra Dinn, and do mean something like Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty, but it gets a little trickier when it comes to things like - well, Prey. Or Dishonoured. Or Bioshock

I mean, those are not AAA by any traditional definition, but some folks seem to call them that, and some don't, so it is a little bit wishy-washy as a term!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

I saw that you've completed Superliminal, and if you don't mind I would like you to analyze that game next as I've known about it for some time but I don't know if it's worth the 20 dollar price.

Absolutely Science Chum - flagged with your name ?

oh, and - incase you need a quick answer to the question before I can get to it -

it’s short, but worth the price! ?

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 4:58 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, oh man, that freakin' WWE game ? - I tell you, I'm not even a big fan of Wrestling, and even I felt insulted by the quality of that game. I can only imagine how crushing those games must be for people who are actively invested in the grand shakespearian drama and the performance of the sport.

I can't imagine what it's like to experience this game as someone who isn't a fan, at least I had my interest in wrestling to carry me through it and having played nearly every wrestling game I could get my hands on when I was younger some of them were so tragic this probably doesn't even rank in the bottom 5 when it comes to bad ones.

It's a shame that they had the chance to appeal to a more casual audience with this game and in trying to make the gameplay more accessible dumbed it down so much that they turned away people like yourself away from the games for life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MD_91 said:

I can't imagine what it's like to experience this game as someone who isn't a fan, at least I had my interest in wrestling to carry me through it and having played nearly every wrestling game I could get my hands on when I was younger some of them were so tragic this probably doesn't even rank in the bottom 5 when it comes to bad ones.

It's a shame that they had the chance to appeal to a more casual audience with this game and in trying to make the gameplay more accessible dumbed it down so much that they turned away people like yourself away from the games for life.

As a fan of Wrestling what is your take on the Yuke’s games generally? 

Are there any that you would say were objectively ‘good’, or is it more a sliding scale of bad, with only the fandom to keep people buying?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

On 25/06/2021 at 9:53 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Lamb Chop?

Great stuff as always Doctor... Now if you can just take a look at this thing I've found........ Oh wait you aren't that kind of Doctor are you... Nevermind :D

In all seriousness though, great reads as usual. I loved the bit on Return of the Orba Din, as a fellow puzzle game enthusiast I think I'm going to have to check that one out. I had no idea it was a puzzle game. In truth, I had no idea whatsoever what it was, I'm glad I do now though.

I enjoyed the write up of Tomb Raider: Legend particularly. That's one I'm really fearful of writing myself actually. My favourite actress plays Lara in those games, so I need to figure out a way for it not to just sound like a Keeley Hawes praise fest for paragraphs and paragraphs. I'm perfectly capable of objectivity, but that one might be tough. (plus that game has the Soul Reaver in it.... So... yeah you know what I'm like when I hear or see that, like a shark that's noticed a little trickle of blood :)

I always struggle to really define that trilogy, or I guess series, because the Lara from those games is the same one from the isometric ones right? Either way, Legend is my favourite, but I think the best Tomb Raider experience comes from Anniversary, but that isn't doing anything particularly new on account of it being a remake/re-imagining. Underworld just sort of ties up a few loose ends and is a little bit too Uncharted-esque for my liking. Legend is an absolute joy to play though - I think its aged remarkably too, I played it again right at the end of 2019, and it didn't feel like a game that was over a decade old, in fact none of that trilogy did, to be fair.

I think Legends of Wrestlemania might have deserved to get the old "buried in the desert" treatment that E.T on the Atari received... It is a woeful mess, I platinumed it too and it isn't any more enjoyable even as a big wrestling fan.

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As a fan of Wrestling what is your take on the Yuke’s games generally? 

Are there any that you would say were objectively ‘good’, or is it more a sliding scale of bad, with only the fandom to keep people buying?

I know you didn't ask me this, and I hope MD drops their thoughts too, but I'll leave mine anyway.

Yukes are very hit and miss, but are capable of some genuinely good material. The problem is, most of their best work happened before trophies were even conceptualised. They've released or been part of the development process for plenty of excellent wrestling games. You've got things like Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain and Smackdown vs Raw 2006 for the PS2 and Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 for the Gamecube which were practically the pinnacle of wrestling video games (with a few exceptions), at least in my opinion.

Yukes essentially re-did Legends of Wrestlemania in the game engine they use for all the other yearly releases in WWE 2K14. Which if it was actually an attainable platinum I think I'd probably recommend that to anyone. Its campaign mode is essentially "30 Years of Wrestlemania" so, much like Legends of Wrestlemania, you end up recreating the big moments and matches, they too have excellently produced video packages that help get you somewhat invested and interested in the context of the matches you are playing - except, this time they are actually enjoyable to play through.  It's probably one of the best under the "2K" banner as well, as it has just the right balance between arcade and simulation style gameplay. I think its easy to get caught up in the hysteria around them doing yearly releases and being lazy. But it can't be easy to push a game out in a year, you would end up having such a small window of time to implement anything particularly "new or exciting" creatively. I certainly don't think it did the Assassin's Creed series much good when it was doing that. It just lends itself to a stale experience.

I wouldn't say its a sliding scale of bad, just patchy and inconsistent. You can have an objectively quite good title one year in 2K19, and then a terrible one the next in 2K20. Its like having a fillet steak one day with some lovely peppercorn sauce (insert sauce of choice) then the next week being fed the sole of someone's shoe, in a gravy made of wee.. Well maybe not that extreme, but I'm sure you get my drift. 

I also don't think people should take into account the trophy lists when deciding if a wrestling game is good or not. Which I know some do. 2K19 is quite a long and grindy platinum, but as a game itself is pretty solid - and whilst the gameplay has devolved (or evolved, depending on your perspective) into being a bit too much of a simulation experience, I don't think any of the games between 2K15 and 2K19 got progressively worse, I'd argue some were better. So Yeah fairly inconsistent is probably where I'd put it on an actual scale. That is a problem, that the series is essentially being kept alive by fandom, there really isn't anything that would hook you in and make you play them in any of the more modern entries even if you were a lapsed wrestling fan. I know plenty of people who got into wrestling via the video games, but I couldn't realistically see that happening very often now.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

While there are certainly criticisms of TR Legend that I regularly like to mention (it being the start of the white ledge platforming saga, which isn't remedied until Shadow of the TR over a decade later, and is even copied by many other games afterwards like Uncharted/Horizon, it being too actiony, the puzzles being too simple, etc.), it really is such a high quality package and something the series needed after AoD. A prime example of quality over quantity, and it has my favourite version of Lara by far. I wish the new games were even remotely as engaging as Legend was, storywise. Would love to see a PS4 or PS5 (or both!) stack someday for the LAU trilogy. Legend also has my favourite OST of the series, so many good tracks.

Btw, it's a big anniversary for Tomb Raider this year, just thought I'd mention that since Square Enix don't seem to give a fuck themselves </3

• Like 1

I think @rjkclarke covered my thoughts on it pretty well, the series peaked on the ps2 and the games he mentioned I would all consider as great. 

They really struggled with the transition to the ps4 generation with 2k15 probably being the weakest game they've put out besides Legends of Wrestlemania and that's when my interest in the games started to drop, 2k17 and 2k18 were the first games in the series I skipped and I've been playing them every year since they began on the ps1 back in 2000.

I decided to give 2k19 a try to see if it felt fresh after missing a couple of years and it's probably one of my favourite in the series, it actually ended up being the last WWE game Yukes were involved in and I think they ended on a high point, they're now working on a game for a different promotion that's likely to be released next year and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the freedom of not being tied to a yearly schedule.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

I loved the bit on Return of the Orba Din, as a fellow puzzle game enthusiast I think I'm going to have to check that one out. I had no idea it was a puzzle game.

Oh man! Are you in for a treat! It's not just a puzzle game, it's the absolute creme de la creme of puzzle perfection! 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Fanks for sciencing my suggestion Doc. A great write-up. Comparing to other 'detective' games, ROTOD is so much better than any of it's competitors. I too was thinking of L.A. Noire when I was playing Return.... but the latter is so much better than the former - amazing given the simplicity of the game. How good were the graphics too? How can such basic graphics look so amazing and be so evocative? The game needs a very high level of detail to work and to achieve that in '1-bit' is quite incredible. 

My only minor gripe with the game was the setting.

Spoiler

Why did LP opt for the Canary Islands as the location? Given you work for the East India Company, and without giving away any spoilers, given how the story unfolds, it would have been better to have had the story set in a more exotic and less explored location (at least in part, obviously the ship had to end up back in Britain). 

Did you manage to complete the whole game without using a guide? If so, you're a puzzle master! The game is hard!

Edited by JoesusHCrust
added spoiler tag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Yukes are very hit and miss, but are capable of some genuinely good material. The problem is, most of their best work happened before trophies were even conceptualised. They've released or been part of the development process for plenty of excellent wrestling games. You've got things like Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain and Smackdown vs Raw 2006 for the PS2 and Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 for the Gamecube which were practically the pinnacle of wrestling video games (with a few exceptions), at least in my opinion.

This is spot on. Wrestling games during this period were great fun. Shame that 2K have made a game so unappealing. I'm a fairly big wrestling fan, and haven't brought a game in a few years.

Hopefully Aki Corp stop making Idol and rhythm games and get back on the wrestling stuff. No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 still the gold standard for me!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I wouldn't say its a sliding scale of bad, just patchy and inconsistent. You can have an objectively quite good title one year in 2K19, and then a terrible one the next in 2K20. Its like having a fillet steak one day with some lovely peppercorn sauce (insert sauce of choice) then the next week being fed the sole of someone's shoe, in a gravy made of wee.. Well maybe not that extreme, but I'm sure you get my drift. 

I also don't think people should take into account the trophy lists when deciding if a wrestling game is good or not. Which I know some do. 2K19 is quite a long and grindy platinum, but as a game itself is pretty solid - and whilst the gameplay has devolved (or evolved, depending on your perspective) into being a bit too much of a simulation experience, I don't think any of the games between 2K15 and 2K19 got progressively worse, I'd argue some were better. So Yeah fairly inconsistent is probably where I'd put it on an actual scale. That is a problem, that the series is essentially being kept alive by fandom, there really isn't anything that would hook you in and make you play them in any of the more modern entries even if you were a lapsed wrestling fan. I know plenty of people who got into wrestling via the video games, but I couldn't realistically see that happening very often now.

10 hours ago, MD_91 said:

They really struggled with the transition to the ps4 generation with 2k15 probably being the weakest game they've put out besides Legends of Wrestlemania and that's when my interest in the games started to drop, 2k17 and 2k18 were the first games in the series I skipped and I've been playing them every year since they began on the ps1 back in 2000.

I decided to give 2k19 a try to see if it felt fresh after missing a couple of years and it's probably one of my favourite in the series, it actually ended up being the last WWE game Yukes were involved in and I think they ended on a high point, they're now working on a game for a different promotion that's likely to be released next year and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the freedom of not being tied to a yearly schedule.

10 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

This is spot on. Wrestling games during this period were great fun. Shame that 2K have made a game so unappealing. I'm a fairly big wrestling fan, and haven't brought a game in a few years.

Interesting info guys - cheers!

I guess it makes sense - I've always heard that the Yukes games were pretty bad, and suffered for the horrendous budget deficiencies and relentless release schedule, but it does make sense that at some point they were good - otherwise it simply wouldn't make sense that they kept a hold of the licence for so long - I never played the PS2 era ones, but I will say - that was probably the era when I would hear the most positive stuff about WWE games. I think in my mind I had rationalised that as more to do with me being more surrounded by wrestling fans in that era (that was Secondary School / Early University days for me,) but I guess the two go hand in hand - the games were better, and so more people were talking!

I must say - the time has probably passed for me on trying any of the new WWE games now - finding time to fit in a game I'm not so sure about in the sea of games I have now is probably not gonna happen realistically - though the one game that I still hear consistent positive stuff about is the FirePro Wrestling games - don't know what you guys think of those? One of my more Wrestling-fan buddies seems to have spent hundreds of hours on the new one, and is very positive on it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney