DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

6 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Also... ugh. Resistance 1 and 2. omg. so good. 3.... not so much. But id love to see this series come back. 

I'm one of those perverts that actually didn't care much for 2, but really like 3 - though I fully acknowledge that it's harder for me to be objective, as I played 3 entirely with the good lady, and she, for whatever reason, really connected with 3 in a way she didn't with 1.

(I only played 2 co-op at a friends house, and it wasn't really set up for 2 people, so the co-op was absurdly difficult with just 2, think it was designed for online co-op with 4-6 people?)

I think her loving 3 so much made it a joy to play together, so it probably benefits by having some of her delight rub off on me - it's much easier to love a game if you are playing with someone else who loves it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm one of those perverts that actually didn't care much for 2, but really like 3 - though I fully acknowledge that it's harder for me to be objective, as I played 3 entirely with the good lady, and she, for whatever reason, really connected with 3 in a way she didn't with 1.

(I only played 2 co-op at a friends house, and it wasn't really set up for 2 people, so the co-op was absurdly difficult with just 2, think it was designed for online co-op with 4-6 people?)

I think her loving 3 so much made it a joy to play together, so it probably benefits by having some of her delight rub off on me - it's much easier to love a game if you are playing with someone else who loves it!

its been so long since i played 3, i just remember the MC of 1 and 2 was barely mentioned and they tried to go a new route.

I'm a sucker for trilogy packs but i hate when they're digital. So if they released them eventually as a remaster, id hope its a physical release 

• Like 1

Proud to be a science chum!

Nailed it with A Way Out. Charming if you loved Escape From Alcatraz and Shawshank Redemption but even then at some point you'll have to cede that it's one cliche after another. If you're fortunate enough to have a gamer friend who loves corny nonsense though, you'll be in great shape!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

adding a variety of new maps. While none of the new ones felt like they quite hit me in the way Modern Warfare's did, that may be more about the amount I personally played. I never played this one long enough to 'prestige' - something I had done several times on the original Modern Warfare.

Interesting. I’m the exact opposite. I didn’t touch the original MW until long after MW2, so none of it’s maps stood out for me. MW2’s maps will always be king for me.. quick-scope 1v1’s in Rust, Mike Myers in Skidrow, trick-shots on Highrise.. the amount of hours spent on those maps alone will see them forever ingrained into my brain!

The only CoD game to truly get its multiplayer hooks into me after Modern Warfare was Black Ops.)

Black Ops multiplayer was fantastic. The introduction of Nuketown, probably the most recognisable map for any CoD fan. Playing Black Ops Declassified this year and hearing the menu music brought back some great memories...

Spec Ops is where Modern Warfare 2 truly shines though. Playing along with my co-op buddy (and real life friend) was great across the board

I loved Spec Ops, so much so that I got 69 stars twice on two different accounts. I think it’s such a shame these weren’t featured in the MW2 remaster! Would’ve been a day one purchase for me, campaign alone isn’t enough to bring me back..

It is a concept that, while simple on paper, is impressive to see, and affords a game that was already the more tactical of the two, a level of combat strategy that blows Modern Warfare 2's point-and-shoot-and-fastest-trigger-wins combat model into smithereens.

? Love your use of words here. Do you remember if you boosted those 20 demolition kills or if you did them legit? (Where you had to crumble a house with an enemy inside) I’m pretty sure I got most of them legit.. I’ll tell you I’ve never been more frustrated playing an online multiplayer then I was while playing this game. I used to properly rage!

featuring multiple fronts, vehicles, much longer gaps between deaths, and a focus on staying alive, rather than simply racking up kills quickly.

Bad Company 2’s multiplayer was so much more tactical in comparison to CoD’s. Huge maps, full of chaos. I had a great time with it, playing a lot more than just what the trophy list had to offer!

As always, fantastic reviews. It baffles me how you’re able to write such well-fleshed out reviews on games you’ve played many years ago. Do you watch a review or gameplay clips or anything before you do these or is it entirely off the top of you head? I’d struggle to write a paragraph on a game I played last year ? I guess I should’ve read more books while growing up, my English teacher used to always advise me to do so ?

Edited by GraniteSnake
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

Interesting. I’m the exact opposite. I didn’t touch the original MW until long after MW2, so none of it’s maps stood out for me. MW2’s maps will always be king for me.. quick-scope 1v1’s in Rust, Mike Myers in Skidrow, trick-shots on Highrise.. the amount of hours spent on those maps alone will see them forever ingrained into my brain!

Yeah, I'd imagine there is always going to be a bit of the old "Mario Kart Effect' with CoD maps - the first one you play is always the one you love most!

Black Ops multiplayer was fantastic. The introduction of Nuketown, probably the most recognisable map for any CoD fan. Playing Black Ops Declassified this year and hearing the menu music brought back some great memories...

Yeah, Black Opps I though was relatively good in its campaign, but I really loved the map set in multiplayer - it also had the added bonus of playing split-screen in the multiplayer - something I don't think any of the others offered that I played. Good times!

I loved Spec Ops, so much so that I got 69 stars twice on two different accounts. I think it’s such a shame these weren’t featured in the MW2 remaster! Would’ve been a day one purchase for me, campaign alone isn’t enough to bring me back..

I didn't actually realise it was gone in the remaster - that's a damned shame.

1f602.png Love your use of words here. Do you remember if you boosted those 20 demolition kills or if you did them legit? (Where you had to crumble a house with an enemy inside) I’m pretty sure I got most of them legit.. I’ll tell you I’ve never been more frustrated playing an online multiplayer then I was while playing this game. I used to properly rage!

I honestly can't remember if I did, but my gut tells me, even if I did, I would have likely got it legit anyways, as I ended up playing a lot of that multiplayer - particularly the Vietnam stuff.

As always, fantastic reviews. It baffles me how you’re able to write such well-fleshed out reviews on games you’ve played many years ago. Do you watch a review or gameplay clips or anything before you do these or is it entirely off the top of you head?

Bit of everything really - for some recent games, it's all just what I remember, for some, I have a quick glance at my old posts on here, or watch some gameplay reviews from the time (though I do so with the sound down, as I don't want to end up plagiarising someone else's take on a game!), and for some, if I still have a copy (mostly digital stuff) I will load it up and have a quick blast on the game again to remind myself.  

For most, I at least have a look at the Wikipedia article for plot stuff and character names - even if I do remember - just to make sure I'm right on the factual stuff.

The biggest issue with doing these in batches of 10 is that the posts are so long that the forum software won't let me edit them after the fact, so I don't want to say something that is just factually incorrect, and unable to fix it when someone (inevitably) points it out! ?

To be honest though, I'm not really trying to be exhaustive in these reviews - I'm certainly not breaking them down into categories like Graphics, Art, Gameplay, Sound etc and trying to hit every beat for every game, and compare 1-2-1

The stuff that I think is most important is the stuff that was most memorable, so whatever I do recall of a game is the most pertinent stuff I try to always include.

I guess I figure if something stuck in my mind for 10 years, then it is something that needs to be a factor!

I definitely do have one of those memories that is very good for entertainment media though. Pity it doesn't extend to real life ?

Ask me the plot and the actors in a film I saw 20 years ago, and I can probably remember most of it, and can likely quote you a line or two...

...but ask me what I ate for breakfast, or whether I sent that letter yesterday, or what my wife told me to do 4 minutes ago, and I draw a blank?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

newtestsubjects.jpg

⚛️!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!⚛️

The next 10 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Colour Guardians
Fallout: New Vegas
Hue
Little Nightmares II
Lost Grimoires: Stolen Kingdom
Mortal Shell 
One Night Stand 
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
This War of Mine: The Little Ones

Subjects in RED marked for ❎PRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT

[Care of  @Arcesius & @Copanele ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Prey, cling to its title once again?

Is last-in-show Kick-Ass: The Game going to have any competition for 'Least Awesome Game' ?

Let's find out!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

I've been without my laptop for a few weeks so it's taken me a while to catch up with this thread. I'm really enjoying reading your reviews which are very well written. There are of course a few things that I disagree with, but only one real bugbear of mine that I have to mention!

In your 'quarter way there review' you mention 'open world RPGs' and then list 'HZD' and 'Shadow of the Collosus' etc. I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but I don't like how 'watered down' the definition of 'RPG' has become. Back in my day, and RPG was something like Morrowind or Baldur's gate - deep character customisation, huge worlds to explore, hundreds of different skills and abilities to learn. Nowadays it's any sandbox with some rudimentary skill progression tree! Bah humbug! 

On Fallout 3, I've often read about the myriad technical issues with this game (and Oblivion, and Fallout 4, and Skyrim) but have never noticed it. I've played this game to death over hundreds and hundreds of hours and have never noticed any particular technical issue (same with the other big Bethesda RPGs). I love Bethesda RPGs so much though, that maybe I'm just blind to their flaws (or I've been incredibly lucky). 

Looking through your list of 'S ranks', there's quite a few games I'd like to see you review but I'll stick to just two! 

Return of the Obra Dinn and Skyrim. 

You must agree, being a fellow man of science that RotOD is an absolutely fantastic game! I'm interested to see just how fantastic proper scientific scrutiny proves it to be. 

Skyrim might be the weakest of the Behtesda RPGs, but it's still a great game. I don't expect it to get to the top of the pile, but can it beat the three Fallouts on your list? (no, all three are much better!).

Thanks again for doing these! 

6 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I've been without my laptop for a few weeks so it's taken me a while to catch up with this thread. I'm really enjoying reading your reviews which are very well written. There are of course a few things that I disagree with, but only one real bugbear of mine that I have to mention!

In your 'quarter way there review' you mention 'open world RPGs' and then list 'HZD' and 'Shadow of the Collosus' etc. I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but I don't like how 'watered down' the definition of 'RPG' has become. Back in my day, and RPG was something like Morrowind or Baldur's gate - deep character customisation, huge worlds to explore, hundreds of different skills and abilities to learn. Nowadays it's any sandbox with some rudimentary skill progression tree! Bah humbug! 

Haha, yeah, congrats on being the first person to mention this - I can't say I didn't expect it! ?

So, with the likes of Horizon (and Assassin's Creed games I think fall in this same camp,) I would call them RPG's, but only in the sense that I think that is the closest genre to them, not because I think they fall squarely in it. They are really most often considered 'Triple-A Action' games, but I dislike using that term, for two reasons. 

Firstly, I dislike using 'AAA' as a term, for pretty much the same reason you take issue with the term 'RPG' - it has no actual meaning anymore.

'Triple A' (and 'Double A', 'B-Game' etc.)  are actually marketing terms, having to do with the percentage of marketing spend as compared to development budget, but have been so often misused that they have lost all meaning, and have become simply a dumb-ass shorthand for 'any non-indie game'.

(In fact, even the term 'Indie Game' has started to suffer the same fate, as it has become shorthand for 'Small' or 'Interesting' or 'Niche'. It's ridiculous to think that something like Child of Light or Valiant Hearts (both of which were in-house Ubisoft developed games) get called 'Indie', and yet Mortal Shell, which was made by a tiny team independently and then found a publisher, seems to often get mistakenly called a 'AA Game' ?

Also, 'Action' as a genre term is far to broad to have any really meaning - given that essentially all games that are not turn-based are, in some sense, 'action' games.

(Also, don't even get me started on how some people use the term 'Adventure' in games. Adventure games are point and click, Lucas Arts / Sierra type games. End of. If we start using 'Adventure' as a genre by simply using the dictionary definition of the word 'adventure' as opposed to its gaming specific context, then virtually every game ever made is an 'adventure game' - given that you are almost always on some kind of 'adventure! 

Any genre where Uncharted shares a platform with Bioshock, or Assassin's Creed with Broken Sword, or Tomb Raider with The Walking dead is clearly so broad as to be inconsequential!

I admit, if someone was looking for some recommendations, and told me they loved RPG's, I wouldn't think to recommend Horizon or AC games, but if forced to categorise them, I think they fall at the outer edge of the RPG Venn Diagram - they have long stories, progression mechanics, loot, missions etc. In terms of seeing a visible line from old RPGs of the 16bit era, yes, they are a far cry from Final Fantasy or Chronotrigger, but I would argue there is a fairly visible (if slightly faded and convoluted) line from something like Secret of Mana or The Legend of Zelda - the more real-time action RPGs.

Shadow of the Colossus is more of a special case, and more an extrapolation of what I said above. Absolutely nowhere in the actual review, would I call it an RPG - it is, by design - essentially genre defying. It has hallmarks of many genres, but doesn't really meet any of them, but given that I consider Horizon and AC to be tangential RPGs (at least for that simple, derivative genre classification,) SotC has to then fall in the same camp, by virtue of being closest in genre to those games, even though it is a couple further steps removed from the 'core' of what an RPG used to mean.

On Fallout 3, I've often read about the myriad technical issues with this game (and Oblivion, and Fallout 4, and Skyrim) but have never noticed it. I've played this game to death over hundreds and hundreds of hours and have never noticed any particular technical issue (same with the other big Bethesda RPGs). I love Bethesda RPGs so much though, that maybe I'm just blind to their flaws (or I've been incredibly lucky). 

You have certainly been lucky I think. I am a big fan of the Bethesda stuff, as my review probably shows, but I have had endless run-ins with the bugs and the issues. I can accept them (well, tolerate them, I wouldn't say I accept them!) in service of the great aspects of the games, but I can't ignore them in a review - they have been too pervasive and anchoring in my experiences not to.

Looking through your list of 'S ranks', there's quite a few games I'd like to see you review but I'll stick to just two! 

Return of the Obra Dinn and Skyrim

Absolutely mate - I will flag them for priority ranking post-haste! ☺️?

Thanks again for doing these!

Thank you for reading and following along  ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...........RPGs..........

Great response. In your defence, 'RPG' is the term used by Sony to describe these games so you are only following established norms. I agree that 'AAA, Action and Adventure' are useless terms. 

Just out of interest....... when I was a lad, there used to be this term 'sandbox' that was used to describe games like AC, Far Cry etc. but you don't see it used so much any more. What do you think of that term? 

Edited by JoesusHCrust
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Great response. In your defence, 'RPG' is the term used by Sony to describe these games so you are only following established norms.

Just out of interest....... when I was a lad, there used to be this term 'sandbox' that was used to describe games like AC, Far Cry etc. but you don't see it used so much any more. What do you think of that term? 

Huh...

... yeah, I guess you're right, 'Sandbox' was what folks tended to call things like GTA3 and AC etc. back in the day, but yeah... it seems to have fallen out of favour a bit.:hmm:

Most recently, I tend to hear that more in the context of games like Hitman - games where the 'box' (level) is smaller, but the player is simply given a discrete task, and can accomplish it any way they choose - more like literally playing in a sandbox - or games like Minecraft or Roblox - games where creativity is more the driving force than simply a mission-based structure in a open world.

I wonder if the slight modification of the meaning has less to do with the term actually changing, and more to do with the types of games on offer?

10-15 years ago, games like Horizon, AC and GTA were the games offering the most freedom to play as you wanted, but now, they are positively prescriptive as compared to something like Minecraft or modern Hitman.

Nowadays, with more power behind the games on a technical level, it's possible to offer much more 'true' freedom, and so there is more of a distinction between open-world, mission-based games and true 'sandbox' gaming - so I guess the term has just followed one strand and abandoned the other. 

That's a good point though - funny that there really hasn't been a new term sprouted to describe the strain of games that were left behind when 'Sandbox' went, well... full 'Sandbox' ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Bless my advanced English lessons from the childhood, this was a good one to read.

Another great Scientific paper there :D fully agreed with the Prince's emo placement on the list (I still liked Sands of Time the most). And thanks to the Mortal Shell Review, I again am reminded that I have to play those blasted The Surge games already.

• Like 2

This War of Mine has sat on my maybe list for the longest time. Sounds like it'll finally move up to the to play list. I agree with you in where games are/should be going. Like a film, or TV series more in my case, they aren't just something that is fun anymore, They can tell stories that are actually pretty miserable and I really like that. That's why I when I describe my time with The Last of Us PtII to anyone I say its both the best and worst game I've ever played. I felt utterly dreadful playing that game at times but still loved it. Sounds like This War of Mine will give me a similar experience and that sounds great to me.

Speaking of Part II as much as I "enjoyed" it its the most high profile marmite game in years and that's putting it mildly. I'm really intrigued to see which side of the fence you come down on it. I see you don't have the 100% yet though so I'm putting in a request for immediate scientific analysis as soon as its done if it hasn't been called for already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

This War of Mine has sat on my maybe list for the longest time. Sounds like it'll finally move up to the to play list. I agree with you in where games are/should be going. Like a film, or TV series more in my case, they aren't just something that is fun anymore, They can tell stories that are actually pretty miserable and I really like that. That's why I when I describe my time with The Last of Us PtII to anyone I say its both the best and worst game I've ever played. I felt utterly dreadful playing that game at times but still loved it. Sounds like This War of Mine will give me a similar experience and that sounds great to me.

That's great to hear! 

Yeah, This War of Mine is such an interesting game to describe your actual experience with it - I remember my mate asking me what I thought of it, and my response was "Oh my God, I had such an awful time... it's amazing!" ?

That's basically why my review mentions Lars Von Trier movies - that is a feeling that I get quite rarely, but almost always do with his films - everything from the complete horror of The House that Jack Built and Antichrist, to the abject sadness of Dancer in the Dark or Dogville, to the complete loneliness and disgusting beauty of the Nymphomaniac movies or Meloncholia...

...that "This is an incredible experience - I'm so abjectly miserable and uncomfortable, I want to crawl behind the couch - but I am feeling stuff films make me feel so rarely, that I have to keep watching!"

Speaking of Part II as much as I "enjoyed" it its the most high profile marmite game in years and that's putting it mildly. I'm really intrigued to see which side of the fence you come down on it. I see you don't have the 100% yet though so I'm putting in a request for immediate scientific analysis as soon as its done if it hasn't been called for already.

Sooooo, yeah, The Last of Us Part II isn't eligible to rank right now - I haven't done my Grounded playthroughs yet, so haven't go that S-Rank...

...however, the reason for that is - I have been specifically saving those playthroughs for when I get to do them on a PS5, and I finally now have one ordered and (apparently) on the way, due to arrive in my covetous little hands at the end of the month ☺️

So, it should be eligible fairly soon - and will likely get added onto whatever batch i'm doing when I finally S-Rank it at the time.

I will say - the fact that I saved a playthrough so I could experience it in the best possible way, probably hints at which side of fence I fall on ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Bless my advanced English lessons from the childhood, this was a good one to read.

Another great Scientific paper there :D fully agreed with the Prince's emo placement on the list (I still liked Sands of Time the most). And thanks to the Mortal Shell Review, I again am reminded that I have to play those blasted The Surge games already.

Haha, I've glad some good can come of that review!

I really hate ragging on games - and especially games like Mortal Shell, as I certainly have to fight the urge to try and deny my own experience and review more positively if the game I had issues with comes from a small, or first time developer (both of which are the case with Cold Symmetry) - however, in going back for a refresher, and writing that review, I really did come to understand how fundamentally disappointed I was with Mortal Shell.

Good to hear that the passing comparisons at least encorage some positive outcome - the spreading of the good word about the excellent The Surge (and not quite as excellent but stilll very good, The Surge 2)!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sooooo, yeah, The Last of Us Part II isn't eligible to rank right now - I haven't done my Grounded playthroughs yet, so haven't go that S-Rank...

...however, the reason for that is - I have been specifically saving those playthroughs for when I get to do them on a PS5, and I finally now have one ordered and (apparently) on the way, due to arrive in my covetous little hands at the end of the month 263a.png

So, it should be eligible fairly soon - and will likely get added onto whatever batch i'm doing when I finally S-Rank it at the time.

I will say - the fact that I saved a playthrough so I could experience it in the best possible way, probably hints at which side of fence I fall on 1f609.png

I was waiting to do the same ? In my case I already had the PS5, I was just waiting for the inevitable patch which seemed to take forever to come. I'll be starting once I'm done with Mass Effect. I Look forward to hating and loving it in equal measure all over again, this time in even shinier mode

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I was waiting to do the same ? In my case I already had the PS5, I was just waiting for the inevitable patch which seemed to take forever to come. I'll be starting once I'm done with Mass Effect. I Look forward to hating and loving it in equal measure all over again, this time in even shinier mode

They certainly did seem to take their sweet time about it!

Was no skin off my nose since I had such a time trying to secure a PS5 (sans-scalpers), but I was very surprised they didn't have that patch day one out the gate - considering it would have been - if not system-seller per-se - at least an additional arrow in the sales quiver.

BTW - I meant to say - If you do give This War of Mine a go, come back and lemme know what you think! Would love to hear how you felt about it given your similar outlook on the direction of that side of gaming ☺️

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Nice read, as always! 

I was particularly interested in Little Nightmares II (appreciate the spoiler-free review), and Mortal Shell. It is a pity to read that the latter did not deliver. I'd like to say that the "game was made on a budget", but ever since I played Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary, both of which were made by a ridiculously small team, that argument just doesn't hold all too well... 

Speaking of which... I cannot see Hollow Knight on your profile ?? Any particular reason you haven't played that one yet? 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Nice read, as always! 

I was particularly interested in Little Nightmares II (appreciate the spoiler-free review), and Mortal Shell. It is a pity to read that the latter did not deliver. I'd like to say that the "game was made on a budget", but ever since I played Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary, both of which were made by a ridiculously small team, that argument just doesn't hold all too well... 

no problem mate - and you’re right, Salt and Sanctuary (along with, I would say Outer Wilds, The Witness and a few others) are basically the antidote to any argument that small dev teams should result in a lower grading curve - since they blow other games by massive teams out of the water!

3 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Speaking of which... I cannot see Hollow Knight on your profile 1f631.png1f631.png Any particular reason you haven't played that one yet? 

I know, I know ?

No reason - I have it, it’s in the mountainous backlog - near the top, but not quite made it out yet!

It will though, certainly - all in good time!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

Very interesting forum and reviews, gives a nice idea of what to play next, is there anyway to see the rankings or got to go through the whole thing?

thank you mate - thanks for stopping by ☺️

The full ranking is on the first page - along with links to all the individual reviews.

They are in batches, so whatever number is in (brackets) next to the game, is the Batch number the review is in ☺️

The first few batches were just a few lines, but around Batch 5 or 6 I started doing more full reviews like the recent ones

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Sad to read that you had such a rough time with Fallout: New Vegas. Again, I never had any technical issues when playing this game. It's just occurred to me though that I didn't play it (or Fallout 3, or Oblivion or Skyrim the first time around) on the PS3. I had an Xbox 360 at that time. It seems that the Xbox was much better than the PS3 for running these large RPGs at the time. 

For me, Fallout New Vegas is one of the best games ever. I remember how excited I was when it first came out, just a few months after I'd played Fallout 3. The graphics in F:NV are pretty ropey, but the scope of the game and variety of ways to play it still have rarely been matched. Fair play though, you have to review the game as you played it on PS3 and if it was as bad as you say, you can't place it further up the rankings. 

I agreed with everything you wrote about Hue. That game was a lot of fun and just the right level of challenge for me (a spectacularly low-skilled gamer). I'll definitely try out the other game you mentioned next to it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Sad to read that you had such a rough time with Fallout: New Vegas. Again, I never had any technical issues when playing this game. It's just occurred to me though that I didn't play it (or Fallout 3, or Oblivion or Skyrim the first time around) on the PS3. I had an Xbox 360 at that time. It seems that the Xbox was much better than the PS3 for running these large RPGs at the time. 

Yeah - I never played any of them on xbox, but I have on PC, and it’s night and day with the PS3 - I’m guessing the cell was just allergic to the particular Bethesda open-world formula - it was really beyond the pale.

Cut to PS4 - which is, as I understand, a much more ‘standard PC’ type architecture, and Fallout 4 (and that Skyrim re-release) ran totally fine - so really seems to be a PS3 exclusive issue.

For me, Fallout New Vegas is one of the best games ever. I remember how excited I was when it first came out, just a few months after I'd played Fallout 3. The graphics in F:NV are pretty ropey, but the scope of the game and variety of ways to play it still have rarely been matched. Fair play though, you have to review the game as you played it on PS3 and if it was as bad as you say, you can't place it further up the rankings. 

Yeah - tried to be fair, and mention all the things I loved about the games (and those are a lot of things) but in both cases - NV especially- the way it ran was just heartbreaking. The worst part is, for the first 10 hours they are both basically fine, then slowly, the more and more you progress and do (and the more and more you get invested in the world and the lore and the story), the worse and worse the technical stuff becomes ☹️

EDIT -

I’ve actually decided that I’m so sick of talking about the technical issues, that I’m going to change how I had planned on reviewing Skyrim.

Originally, I had planned on doing it like I did with the Shadow of the Colossus - do two entries, one for PS3 and one for PS4, as the experience is so different due to the way it ran on PS3...

... but sod that.

Instead, I’m just going to review it based on the PS4 version, and mention that the PS3 one should be avoided in favour of it - that way I don’t have to keep finding new synonyms for ‘broken’, and can just concentrate on what the game was actually trying to do, and not what stopped it from doing it on PS3 ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I’ve been enjoying your thread for a bit and would like to request a review of Tomb Raider: Legend (because I’ve recently Platted it myself, and I’m interested to hear your thoughts on it). 

I also find the fact that you’ve completed every single TR & LC game very impressive-I hope to get there someday myself! :D

• Like 1