DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

11 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

It’s been fun, your reviews are a joy to read. If the request-log isn’t too big, I’d like add another to it: What Remains of Edith Finch

Absolutely mate - added with your name ?

It upsets me that you don’t have any MGS on your profile to review 1f622.png At least I can look forward to whenever you begin reviewing the Uncharted series, some real gems there 1f44d.png

Trust me... it's not anything close to how upset you would be if I did have MGS games eligible for review... ?

I'm afraid there is one Metal Gear game I enjoyed - Metal Gear for the MSX...

...beyond that...

I will simply say, diplomatically, that - I... can respect those game ?

Uncharted is going to be a strange one, as, despite having all three mainline games double stacked, only the first game, the vita one and The Lost Legacy are eligible - damned Brutal mode and multiplayer DLC!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

It's been a great read so far, and your an exceptional writer to boot.

Also, I picked up the Arkane Collection last week after meaning to buy it for ages. I already have a huge backlog to play, but think Dishonored/Prey will get bumped up the list somehow!

Awesome mate! 

I’ve seen that collection go on sale before, and man - that has to go down as one of the best deals in gaming history in my mind - thats some seriously top quality gaming right there!

Hope you have as awesome a time as I did!

@DrBloodmoney It's been a great read so far and I'm sure that it will carry on being so! It's nice that your creation of this thread has led to some interesting reviews, some well reasoned and thoughtful discussions and for like minded people to chat about various game interests stemming from this setup. Certainly I have enjoyed chatting to @rjkclarke very much and you as well, and I'll bet others have and will have these same kind of experiences, so for that - Thank you!

I'm only seeing one Resident Evil game and no Final Fantasy games in your top 25 here though, tut tut I thought this was supposed to be scientific!!! lol :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

I'm only seeing one Resident Evil game and no Final Fantasy games in your top 25 here though, tut tut I thought this was supposed to be scientific!!! lol :P 

Haha, well, I never like to make pre-scientific judgements about "top X" for any game now - as the list is pretty fleshed out already, and a real tough set of cookies up at the top there, but, I can say this...

While I believe my personal favourite (eligible to rank) RE game is already ranked, I know my favourite eligible Final Fantasy isn't yet... ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, well, I never like to make pre-scientific judgements about "top X" for any game now - as the list is pretty fleshed out already, and a real tough set of cookies up at the top there, but, I can say this...

While I believe my personal favourite (eligible to rank) RE game is already ranked, I know my favourite eligible Final Fantasy isn't yet... ?

Haha well I'm looking forward to seeing where that places then! ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

"Top X Games".... Favorite FF.... I see what you did there (In before its FFVII ??)  

On your previous comments (I would quote you, but I cant seem to get a quote to work between pages if I want to quote multiple things ?)  I really enjoy reading your reviews.  They are always well written and thought out and Jak II not withstanding, we seem to have a lot of similar takes on games. 

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

"Top X Games".... Favorite FF.... I see what you did there (In before its FFVII 1f602.png1f602.png)  

Haha, well, I'm going to have a tough time ranking them, but I will say - I don't know the general feeling of the FF Fans here, particularly with regards to FFVIIR, but I'm a huge fan of both FFVII, and the remake, so both I expect will do well.

I'm interested to see if this talk of remasters of the first six games ever results in a trophy supported FFVI though. If that happens, lemme tell you - I will sing the fuck outta some Octopus-Operas, and Suplex the hell out of some Spectral Trains, that's for damned sure! ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

they can feel like they take a lifetime to read, and certainly place a premium on your time

Hmmm... ? I see what you did there. Thanks again ?.

I feel like I wasn't as active as other people in this thread. I contributed a few times, but It's been fun so far. I'll definitely keep returning to check your reviews ?There are still some games I'd like to request. Speaking of which, may I request a scientific analysis of Ratchet & Clank 2?

Also, I just checked the first pages of this thread. It felt a little weird seeing at the first reviews, they look so short compared to the more recent ones ?

5 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

It upsets me that you don’t have any MGS on your profile to review.

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Trust me... it's not anything close to how upset you would be if I did have MGS games eligible for review... ?

...beyond that...

I will simply say, diplomatically, that - I... can respect those game ?

Well, since @DrBloodmoney won't be ranking the MGS games, someone else could do it. I'd certainly be interested in an MGS-related thread that covers and ranks all the games in the series. Just throwing it out there ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

Well, since @DrBloodmoney won't be ranking the MGS games, someone else could do it. I'd certainly be interested in an MGS-related thread that covers and ranks all the games in the series. Just throwing it out there 

I'm not volunteering or anything, but I am going to be reviewing them in the future in my own thread at some point (can't promise I'd rank them though). Well, all of them except Metal Gear Rising at least. I haven't played that one yet. I'm probably doing myself a disservice by not playing it too. I just don't like where it falls in the series timeline. I think where its set ultimately ends up undermining bits of character development from Guns of the Patriots. So as seems to usually be the case my own personal baggage has reared its head and stopped me playing a game once again.

3 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

It's been a great read so far and I'm sure that it will carry on being so! It's nice that your creation of this thread has led to some interesting reviews, some well reasoned and thoughtful discussions and for like minded people to chat about various game interests stemming from this setup. Certainly I have enjoyed chatting to @rjkclarke very much and you as well, and I'll bet others have and will have these same kind of experiences, so for that - Thank you!

I'd also like to second this and say thank you as well. I've really been enjoying all the discussion and hopefully look forward to many more to come. that feels weird quoting a post with my own username in it haha :D

• Like 4

I don't know why, but that made me think of Kent Brockman saying "The following people... are gay!"

Aw shucks. It's been a fun thing to follow, what can I say. Your thoughts are consistently well articulated and backed up with solid arguments, not to mention that you've got great subject matter to work with!

Don't let all the love go to your head though! I'll ask that Jak 2 guy to come back?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

'm interested to see if this talk of remasters of the first six games ever results in a trophy supported FFVI though. If that happens, lemme tell you - I will sing the fuck outta some Octopus-Operas, and Suplex the hell out of some Spectral Trains, that's for damned sure! 1f602.png

That announcement at the Square Enix conference was so awesome.....and then so bloody annoying! Bring them all to PS4/PS5 with platinums and it's easy money and I'll be platinuming every signle one of those!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Doc, your reviews are getting pretty meaty now and it's a lot of work for you to produce this science. Have you considered releasing reviews in batches of five instead of ten to make it more manageable for you and less time between posts to keep the punters hooked? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

That announcement at the Square Enix conference was so awesome.....and then so bloody annoying! Bring them all to PS4/PS5 with platinums and it's easy money and I'll be platinuming every signle one of those!

If you haven't played it before... I would skip FF2 that game is terrible (IMO) ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

If you haven't played it before... I would skip FF2 that game is terrible (IMO) 1f602.png

Not wrong there!

TBH, I think FF1 & FFIII would be tough to go back to now too - they are demonstrably better games than FFII, but they do predate a lot of the 'bull-shit smoothing' that would be done for the genre (mostly by Square themselves) that would follow them - stuff like queued attacks just missing if the enemy targeted dies before the attack happens, for example, are incredibly irritating - and really don't help those games when going back and playing nowadays.

3 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Hmmm... 1f914.png I see what you did there. Thanks again 1f642.png.

:hmm: No idea what you could possibly mean there... :dunno:

I feel like I wasn't as active as other people in this thread. I contributed a few times, but It's been fun so far. I'll definitely keep returning to check your reviews 1f44d.pngThere are still some games I'd like to request. Speaking of which, may I request a scientific analysis of Ratchet & Clank 2?

Absolutely man - flagged with your name ?

Also, I just checked the first pages of this thread. It felt a little weird seeing at the first reviews, they look so short compared to the more recent ones 1f604.png

I know, I know ?

I may, at some point, decide to go back, and do some more fleshed out reviews for the original few batches, and the 10 baseline games that never got their due. Of course, I wouldn't change the actual rankings, (that would be chaos - blood would start weeping down the walls, cats and dogs would start living together - anarchy!) but it might be fun anyways.

There was a bit of method to that madness - in the very early days, it was easy to rank and not feel like I had to really do a long justification, as the gaps were pretty wide in the list - but later, I really felt I needed to explain my reasoning as the rankings got a lot harder!

To be honest, I think these got as long as they did, because I eventually got on to doing games where I knew my opinion is the minority one. There are some games (like Jak II, or to a lesser extent, GTAIV, where I know they are loved, and I know why, but I felt like I really needed to take the time to explain why I didn't like them so much, so I didn't seem like some kind of 'gaming hipster' just hating on 'good' stuff for attention.

Also, the flip-side too. Prey is a game that I think is utterly amazing, but I know it is underplayed and under-appreciated - if I'm going to have it as current No. 1, I need to have an appropriate amount of explanation as to why, just so my list doesn't seem like the ramblings of a lunatic (or, at least, seems like the justified ramblings of a lunatic ?)

32 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Doc, your reviews are getting pretty meaty now and it's a lot of work for you to produce this science. Have you considered releasing reviews in batches of five instead of ten to make it more manageable for you and less time between posts to keep the punters hooked? 

I have definitely though about it. The main reason I haven't so far, is just the convenience of having all the reviews in a few discrete 'batches' and doing that would mean something like 100 batches by the end, as opposed to 50-odd, but I must admit, with each batch, the argument in favour is getting stronger...

maybe I will try doing that after this one :hmm:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Together_Comic said:

If you haven't played it before... I would skip FF2 that game is terrible (IMO) 1f602.png

Massive FF fan, so played all of the first 6, and the battle system took a while to get used to defo but I enjoyed FF2 personally. I can understand people not liking it compared to the others in the franchise though.

45 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not wrong there!

TBH, I think FF1 & FFIII would be tough to go back to now too - they are demonstrably better games than FFII, but they do predate a lot of the 'bull-shit smoothing' that would be done for the genre (mostly by Square themselves) that would follow them - stuff like queued attacks just missing if the enemy targeted dies before the attack happens, for example, are incredibly irritating - and really don't help those games when going back and playing nowadays.

Again I can understand that, and the first 3 aren't a patch on 4 onwards in the classic ones, but trust me I'd plat every one of them and would enjoy it all the way lol For me, it'd be that gif of Fry from Futurama with his wad of cash haha

Oh, btw (to both of you) please note I did play the GBA versions of 1 and 2, and the DS remake of 3 so I've never played those Famicom originals, so I know they did a lot with those versions to improve them. So my opinions of 1, 2 and 3 are based on those. I'm sure the originals are worse, but I'd still plat them all anyways lol

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Massive FF fan, so played all of the first 6, and the battle system took a while to get used to defo but I enjoyed FF2 personally. I can understand people not liking it compared to the others in the franchise though.

Again I can understand that, and the first 3 aren't a patch on 4 onwards in the classic ones, but trust me I'd plat every one of them and would enjoy it all the way lol For me, it'd be that gif of Fry from Futurama with his wad of cash haha

Oh, btw (to both of you) please note I did play the GBA versions of 1 and 2, and the DS remake of 3 so I've never played those Famicom originals, so I know they did a lot with those versions to improve them. So my opinions of 1, 2 and 3 are based on those. I'm sure the originals are worse, but I'd still plat them all anyways lol

I talk a big game, but there is something incredibly satisfying about having an entire series done and If for example one day when the backlog gods smile upon me and I had 1, and 3-10 finished... there is no way that I wouldn't go back and pick up 2. Heck I am even considering messing around with 14 and all the nonsense that entails... ??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I need to have an appropriate amount of explanation as to why, just so my list doesn't seem like the ramblings of a lunatic (or, at least, seems like the justified ramblings of a lunatic 1f602.png)

You have no idea how much I can identify with that one. :D Although strictly speaking you do a far better job of that, than I do.That's why I wrote that long as anything post about Venetica, because I felt I needed to justify it, most people wouldn't even play it let alone write some huge endorsement about how much fun they had with it.

It is a shame sometimes that we can only slap one rep point on a post, because that one made me laugh A LOT. I think I'd settle for my own posts sounding like the justified ramblings of a lunatic - instead of, I don't know; a lunatic that's been forced to listen to the back catalogue of Barry Manilow for a year, as a form of torture with his his eyes propped open with matchsticks that some of my output probably reads like haha.   .

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Uncharted is going to be a strange one, as, despite having all three mainline games double stacked, only the first game, the vita one and The Lost Legacy are eligible - damned Brutal mode and multiplayer DLC!

Shit, I forgot about that, that’s a shame. You could argue that those 3 are the weaker half of the series (although I haven’t played TLL in full yet) - TLL failed to entertain me in the few short hours I played. I want to get the series to 100% one day, except Fight for Fortune. Was unobtainable by the time I’d even heard of it ?

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well, all of them except Metal Gear Rising at least. I haven't played that one yet. I'm probably doing myself a disservice by not playing it too.

You should definitely give MGR a try! I hated it when I first played it because I couldn’t parry to save my life and I just plain sucked at the game. Returned to it years later and had an absolute blast, such a fun experience

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

I talk a big game, but there is something incredibly satisfying about having an entire series done and If for example one day when the backlog gods smile upon me and I had 1, and 3-10 finished... there is no way that I wouldn't go back and pick up 2. Heck I am even considering messing around with 14 and all the nonsense that entails... 1f602.png1f602.png

lol I wish I had the time for 14, I really do but life is life you know lol o and I'm pretty sure everyone has a backlog and is praying to those backlog gods haha I know I am!

20 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Trust me... it's not anything close to how upset you would be if I did have MGS games eligible for review... 1f602.png

...beyond that...

I will simply say, diplomatically, that - I... can respect those game 1f602.png

I can't believe I found another person with the same mindset regarding MGS xD respect....is the proper word there indeed (including the dots after, for extra effect)

Speaking of sneaky games...I haven't seen Hitman 2 Silent Assassin and Hitman Contracts on your list! Any chance you'd start them later on, seeing that you love the best assassin around? :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copanele said:

Speaking of sneaky games...I haven't seen Hitman 2 Silent Assassin and Hitman Contracts on your list! Any chance you'd start them later on, seeing that you love the best assassin around? :D 

I do love me some Agent 47...

...there's nothing really stopping me from playing those ones - I do actually own them on PS3, though to be honest, the thing that is holding me back a little is the current Hitman. There is just so much game in the new games, and they run so smooth and well, that going back to the old mechanics is very jarring.

I absolutely loved, and played the absolute shit out of, Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money back on PS2 - they were among my favourite games - but going back to even Blood Money, which was by far the most technically advanced and well-playing of those 3, was very eyeopening when I did it a couple years ago.

I enjoyed it for what it was, (enough to do it on PS4 and PS3 ?) but, I can't deny that the whole experience was a little bit bitter-sweet.

So much of my memory of those games was rose-tinted, that seeing the dramatic way it failed to match up to the incredible game it led to, did feel a bit like sullying my old memories.

I was a little scared to do the same to Silent Assassin and Contracts too - I like how large those games loom in my memory, and I'm not sure I want to shine a light on them now, and realise that it's more their shadow that looms large, rather than the games themselves. 

Never say never though - I reckon I still remember them well enough to probably fly through most levels...

• Like 2