DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

4 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

was a shame because I liked the game more than you seemed to, which somewhat sours my recommending it to you.

No, don’t be silly mate, we can’t all love everything, and I’m certainly glad I played it!

I never take a game I am recommended and don’t end up loving as a bad recommendation - just evidence of some differences in tastes is all ☺️

It’s a game I liked a lot of aspects of, but it’s one that certainly frustrated me in some of the combat - but from a puzzle and exploration side, take as a Zelda-like, I think it’s really great!

• Like 1

thisissome-goodshit.gif

Darksiders is yet another series I been sleepin on. Onto the maybe pile with them!

Outstanding work with Control! I love how you mentioned that it's both wildly inventive and fun as well as utterly preposterous, which only serves to make it work all the more! I remember playing this immediately after Vice City, so that might be why but I always thought the controls were so sleek and smooth. Not to mention how damn fun all those abilities are!

Frogger Returns... that one is a heartbreaker. I'll always have a soft spot for the original, as well as its reiteration on the PS1, but to hear its good name has been besmirched like this just makes me sad.

That's it! I challenge Hijinx Studios to a duel!!

• Like 3

That was a great batch....... obvious statement, is.... erm obvious, I guess? ?

Seriously though, that was very interesting reading your take on some of those titles.

I think it's a little funny that you and I have ended up adding one Artifex Mundi game to each others wishlist in the space of basically the same day haha xD..... For some reason, a wrong one clearly,I'd always assumed Modern Tale: Age of Invention might be one of the less interesting AM titles, so I'm glad to see it's rated pretty highly for you by their usual standards. Coming second to Enigmatis 3 is no shameful thing, although Enigmatis 3 would no longer be at the tippy-top of my AM rankins either now, as I'm sure you could gather.

This will seem like a strange thing to highlight, but I very much enjoyed reading that 36 Fragments of Midnight write up. Purely because I don't think I've ever really seen many people actually give that game a fair critique, or actually any kind of critique at all come to think of it!

I can't say it's one I'll rush to play, probably ever, but I'm glad that you actually approached it with some genuine thought instead of the whole "Trophies are easy.......THE END" type of deal, that you usually see. So it's nice to see it does actually have a few sound mechanics, because I don't think I would have expected that,having heard all that I'd heard about it.

That was interesting to read about Control, me playing that is an inevitability more than a maybe, so it was really nice to get some idea of what to expect from it. Nice to see that Remedy are at least back to some sort of form with it too, I hadn't played Quantum Break but I'd heard the nightmares.....

I'll pretend not to be offended by this....??

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

the audio goes full Heavy Metal, to pretty awesome effect. Admittedly, the song (in reality by Poets of the Fall, though here credited as the Old Gods of Asgard, in an Alan Wake reference,) is exactly the kind of warbling Metal-Ballad-Butt-Rock that I personally can't stand, but... in this instance, it just works!

Poets of the Fall are one of my favourite bands..... (I mean my checklist thread is half named after one of their songs after all) they truly are, but..... I wish they wouldn't attempt to be metal, or even anywhere to close hard rock really. It doesn't really suit them at all.

It's good to hear it actually works here though, I don't know if you've played the bit where you have a similar thing happen in Alan Wake yet, but that bit is at least quite well done there too.

Loved reading your thoughts on Darksiders II - I've put off reviewing that for an age, because whenever I decide on how I feel about it, I suddenly change my mind about it, there's plenty I liked about it, and then other parts that I just kind of forget even happened.

The loot system in this game is fantastic! It really adds a lot of variability too, as you have so many options at your disposal, considering almost nothing is a dedicated drop, you end up having to chop-and-change things on the fly too, as some of your equipment starts to become less powerful.

While that would be fine on its own - I personally am quite fond of the blasphemous retelling of arcane religious dogma, and the Darksiders canon is so chock full of such Heaven and Hell-flavoured angelic malarkey it is practically growing fiery wings - this time the tale has a slightly more knowing, slightly less edge-lord quality to it, and that is to the game's benefit.

I like this element of it a whole lot myself, I'm glad they pretty much side-stepped the obvious edge-lord direction it could have taken too. Especially with Death, I think, stereotypically you'd usually associate Death with being a bit more in-line with that characteristic than you might with War, but it is the other way around here. I really like the fact the game is told in parallel to the first one, that's a pretty unique way to do a sequel I must say. 

Frogger Returns seems like a game that could only be enjoyed by that big borderline retarded Cat fella Big the Cat  from Sonic Adventure...... That dude, he would find a way to really enjoy that game, but functioning humans like us? It would seem, NOT A CHANCE xD

I did have a look at Death's Door after I saw you'd been playing it...... It's kind of sad to read some of your closing thoughts on it, about it not quite being good enough to be the great game you feel it could be. That's almost the most frustrating part about games like that - when they aren't objectively bad, or are even actually quite good, but you just can't let go of that nagging feeling that they could, no SHOULD, be better than they are. I enjoyed reading about it though, and the fact you talked up the puzzle element is at least putting it in the "Get this when it's a decent price?" Type of thought bubble for me. 

I don't know how it's taken this long, but can I make a request? Would you mind taking a look at Rainbow Moon? I haven't played a game like that in years and years,and it's the only one of its kind that I think I have, so I'd love to know what sort of mess I'd be getting myself in for ?

Do it whenever is good for you though - no pressure. After all I'm a little bit slow on getting to some of the ones people have thrown my way too, so I could hardly criticise, now could I? ?

Awesome batch as always mate!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I think it's a little funny that you and I have ended up adding one Artifex Mundi game to each others wishlist in the space of basically the same day haha xD..... For some reason, a wrong one clearly,I'd always assumed Modern Tale: Age of Invention might be one of the less interesting AM titles, so I'm glad to see it's rated pretty highly for you by their usual standards. Coming second to Enigmatis 3 is no shameful thing, although Enigmatis 3 would no longer be at the tippy-top of my AM rankins either now, as I'm sure you could gather.

Yeah, It’s a surprisingly good one, considering it doesn’t really seem so on the surface.

After all, I don’t think it got serialised, which is usually a bad sign for AM… and it might be a contender for genuine worst cover art on an AM game… I mean seriously!

This will seem like a strange thing to highlight, but I very much enjoyed reading that 36 Fragments of Midnight write up. Purely because I don't think I've ever really seen many people actually give that game a fair critique, or actually any kind of critique at all come to think of it!

I can't say it's one I'll rush to play, probably ever, but I'm glad that you actually approached it with some genuine thought instead of the whole "Trophies are easy.......THE END" type of deal, that you usually see. So it's nice to see it does actually have a few sound mechanics, because I don't think I would have expected that,having heard all that I'd heard about it.

Yeah - massive pet-peeve of mine that - the number of folks who normally would write up games they play at length and wax lyrical on them…

…But when they finish a Ratalaika game and treat it like they just popped a pimple!

Just because the trophies were easy doesn’t mean the game was throwaway!

Give some credit where it’s due… or cast some shade for legit reasons, people!

That was interesting to read about Control, me playing that is an inevitability more than a maybe, so it was really nice to get some idea of what to expect from it. Nice to see that Remedy are at least back to some sort of form with it too, I hadn't played Quantum Break but I'd heard the nightmares.....

I'll pretend not to be offended by this....1f606.png1f602.png

Poets of the Fall are one of my favourite bands..... (I mean my checklist thread is half named after one of their songs after all) they truly are, but..... I wish they wouldn't attempt to be metal, or even anywhere to close hard rock really. It doesn't really suit them at all.

haha  - sorry!

I must admit, I'm not familiar with their output beyond this actually, I should check them out - if it's not all warbling Metal-ballads I'm sure I'll be happy

It's good to hear it actually works here though, I don't know if you've played the bit where you have a similar thing happen in Alan Wake yet, but that bit is at least quite well done there too.

I know the bit you mean in Alan Wake, and while it was pretty cool there, I think the Control version is a big step up!

Loved reading your thoughts on Darksiders II - I've put off reviewing that for an age, because whenever I decide on how I feel about it, I suddenly change my mind about it, there's plenty I liked about it, and then other parts that I just kind of forget even happened.

The loot system in this game is fantastic! It really adds a lot of variability too, as you have so many options at your disposal, considering almost nothing is a dedicated drop, you end up having to chop-and-change things on the fly too, as some of your equipment starts to become less powerful.

It's really odd to me that so many loot games have come after DSII, yet none seem to really learn from it - I know it's not the pinnacle of AAA, people, but that shouldn't stop developers going "Hey... this game where you can see the loot before you pick it up... and where bad loot is still useful... By Jove, I think it's on to something!"

I like this element of it a whole lot myself, I'm glad they pretty much side-stepped the obvious edge-lord direction it could have taken too. Especially with Death, I think, stereotypically you'd usually associate Death with being a bit more in-line with that characteristic than you might with War, but it is the other way around here. I really like the fact the game is told in parallel to the first one, that's a pretty unique way to do a sequel I must say. 

That's a good point - the mere fact that it is Death should, by rights, have made DSII the most edge-lord of the whole series - yet from what I understand (I haven't played DSIII or Genesis yet) it might be actually the least prone to that slippery slope!

Frogger Returns seems like a game that could only be enjoyed by that big borderline retarded Cat fella Big the Cat  from Sonic Adventure...... That dude, he would find a way to really enjoy that game, but functioning humans like us? It would seem, NOT A CHANCE xD

Ugh. 

You know - that's was a really odd one for me. as I had pretty much forgotten all the bad stuff, and kind of just wallpapered over it in my mind with a combination of Crossy Road and Original Frogger, so I sort of thought I remembered it fondly...

...then I played a bit to familiarise myself, and within the first level, all the bad stuff came flooding back! ?

I normally have a pretty good steel-trap in terms of remembering what I thought of games, but I guess it just takes a special kind of "unfortunate", for my brain to literally reject forming true memories of it, and just create it's own version instead, from the broken pieces of other memories  ??

I did have a look at Death's Door after I saw you'd been playing it...... It's kind of sad to read some of your closing thoughts on it, about it not quite being good enough to be the great game you feel it could be. That's almost the most frustrating part about games like that - when they aren't objectively bad, or are even actually quite good, but you just can't let go of that nagging feeling that they could, no SHOULD, be better than they are. I enjoyed reading about it though, and the fact you talked up the puzzle element is at least putting it in the "Get this when it's a decent price?" Type of thought bubble for me. 

You know - both your comment here, and @grayhammmer's is making me think my write up maybe came off as overly harsh.

So the thing with these reviews is, as much as I like to think I'm writing them in a vacuum, I'm not really succeeding, especially when the game is new. 

If I'm aware of what the consensus on a game is, and I don't agree, I feel like I tend to try and justify the delta between my feelings and that consensus more within the review. That means if a game is considered really bad, and I just think it's mediocre, I do tend to give a pretty positive review - highlighting the good aspects more than the bad, as that's where my review is likely to differ from the general opinion. It might still rank lower, but the tone of the review tends to feel more positive than it really should.

Conversely, if a game is roundly lauded much more than I personally liked it, then even if I still think it's good, my review tends to sound more negative, as I'm naturally concentrating on the reasons I disagree with the consensus - there tends to be more focus on the negative elements. So even if it ranks okay, the review text can feel harsh.

Death's Door didn't rank amazingly, but it's in between The Touryst, and Déreciné - both of which I liked, and both of which have more positive-feeling text reviews.

The real reason I focussed more on some of the negatives in the text, was to justify why I felt as I did, in contrast to what I feel like is a quickly solidifying mystique around that game - I'm seeing it consistently being placed on Games the Year lists for last year, and receiving awards and such ... and I just don't see it being on that level.

It's fine, but I think there a much better Metroidvania's out there - including ones that don't get nearly the praise they deserve!  

(Hey - I made it through that sentence without specifically mentioning Dandara... Good for me!.... oh.... damn.... Spoke too soon ?)

It is a good game with flaws, rather than a flawed game with good elements - if that makes sense?

I don't know how it's taken this long, but can I make a request? Would you mind taking a look at Rainbow Moon? I haven't played a game like that in years and years,and it's the only one of its kind that I think I have, so I'd love to know what sort of mess I'd be getting myself in for 1f605.png

Absolutely man - consider it highlighted! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

haha  - sorry!

I must admit, I'm not familiar with their output beyond this actually, I should check them out - if it's not all warbling Metal-ballads I'm sure I'll be happy

Nah it's cool man - I'm not going to go all hyper fan on you and recommend you this song, or that song. It definitely isn't all warbling metal-ballads (thankfully,) they have a few regular ballads here and there, but they work better when they are a bit less heavy I think. For a band that aren't native English speakers they sure are good lyricists though.

It's really odd to me that so many loot games have come after DSII, yet none seem to really learn from it - I know it's not the pinnacle of AAA, people, but that shouldn't stop developers going "Hey... this game where you can see the loot before you pick it up... and where bad loot is still useful... By Jove, I think it's on to something!"

Does boggle the mind a little bit, that they just don't seem to have picked up on the good thing that DSII were doing here, right!

The closest thing I can think of that I've noticed is the runes in the Middle Earth games - where you can see what they are from the floor and decide from there whether or not you want to pick them up. Can be quite funny when you play the trials in the DLC's and literally nothing is actually useful to you, so you end up with a map that looks like some cranked up hoarders wet dream  xD

That's a good point - the mere fact that it is Death should, by rights, have made DSII the most edge-lord of the whole series - yet from what I understand (I haven't played DSIII or Genesis yet) it might be actually the least prone to that slippery slope!

I haven't played those two yet either - but I am interested in them, it's just one of those you kind of just put off - or I do, as there's almost always something I'd rather be playing, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I really like the first Darksiders as well for what it's worth, but for the amount that War whinges, you'd think they'd have given him a customisable giant violin for a weapon, it definitely would have felt appropriate in places ?

Death just kind of gets on with it I suppose.

Ugh. 

You know - that's was a really odd one for me. as I had pretty much forgotten all the bad stuff, and kind of just wallpapered over it in my mind with a combination of Crossy Road and Original Frogger, so I sort of thought I remembered it fondly...

...then I played a bit to familiarise myself, and within the first level, all the bad stuff came flooding back! 1f602.png

I normally have a pretty good steel-trap in terms of remembering what I thought of games, but I guess it just takes a special kind of "unfortunate", for my brain to literally reject forming true memories of it, and just create it's own version instead, from the broken pieces of other memories  1f602.png1f602.png

Actually I know exactly what you mean with this one -  but to a slightly less extreme degree.

I usually like to think my memory of certain games is pretty sharp too - it would turn out after a bit of replaying of Resident Evil 5 recently in prep for the review I had practically forgotten about 80% of the actual game. I still like it, but I there are certain things that had completely slipped my mind, that are pretty glaring. I realised when I played this in 2019 I skipped all the cutscenes so I hadn't seen anything of the story since about 2009 when I first played the game xDOOOPS!

I get where you're coming from though - especially when Crossy Road sounds like it's so close to continuing the feel of Frogger anyway.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - both your comment here, and @grayhammmer's is making me think my write up maybe came off as overly harsh.

So the thing with these reviews is, as much as I like to think I'm writing them in a vacuum, I'm not really succeeding, especially when the game is new. 

If I'm aware of what the consensus on a game is, and I don't agree, I feel like I tend to try and justify the delta between my feelings and that consensus more within the review. That means if a game is considered really bad, and I just think it's mediocre, I do tend to give a pretty positive review - highlighting the good aspects more than the bad, as that's where my review is likely to differ from the general opinion. It might still rank lower, but the tone of the review tends to feel more positive than it really should.

Conversely, if a game is roundly lauded much more than I personally liked it, then even if I still think it's good, my review tends to sound more negative, as I'm naturally concentrating on the reasons I disagree with the consensus - there tends to be more focus on the negative elements. So even if it ranks okay, the review text can feel harsh.

Death's Door didn't rank amazingly, but it's in between The Touryst, and Déreciné - both of which I liked, and both of which have more positive-feeling text reviews.

I get this as well - don't overthink it either man! You said what you needed to say, and that's fine.

I know where you're coming from when you read something about a game that people seem to universally love, but you don't quite feel the same way. I think the natural reaction is, to just pile on with why exactly you don't agree with that, even if you yourself can recognise the product is good or even great, just not quite to your tastes. 

This is a big part of why I specifically haven't written any reviews of Uncharted yet - because I know I'll do the exact same thing you've mentioned here of highlighting the negatives you personally feel. That for me when everyone says Uncharted is like a film - for me it's one I'd be tempted to walk out of the cinema from, because the protagonist never bloody shuts up ?..... LIKE EVER! Haha

Seriously though - I don't think it came over overly harsh in the review, or any other, especially when you go into as much detail as you do. I know I'm certainly more appreciative of the fact that even if you highlight some of the negatives, you very much help us to go straight in with our eyes wide open with these games, and I'd rather you did that, than gloss over some of the times that aren't as stellar as they perhaps could be. I'm pretty certain I'm not in the minority in thinking this either.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The real reason I focussed more on some of the negatives in the text, was to justify why I felt as I did, in contrast to what I feel like is a quickly solidifying mystique around that game - I'm seeing it consistently being placed on Games the Year lists for last year, and receiving awards and such ... and I just don't see it being on that level.

It's fine, but I think there a much better Metroidvania's out there - including ones that don't get nearly the praise they deserve!  

(Hey - I made it through that sentence without specifically mentioning Dandara... Good for me!.... oh.... damn.... Spoke too soon 1f602.png)

It's just that thing that nags at you a bit, right? Where you see all that praise, and can't help but just think "BUT WHY NANNY" well not the Nanny part xD....

When you know there's usually something better to be had from the genre out there too - I feel like it's only natural to kind of point people in the direction of those options instead.

Mention Dandara all you like mate, it sounds great - I barely got through a day or so in January without mentioning Yakuza - so  I must have been like Alyson Hannigan in American Pie.... Where I was all..... "This one time in Yakuza........ blah,blah,blah" ad infinitum ?

Interested to see what the science has to say about Rainbow Moon though whenever that goes under scrutiny. Take as much sweet time as you need though!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2022 at 1:30 AM, grayhammmer said:

I recently went out and saw the newest Batman movie, so I'd like to put a priority ranking on Telltale's Batman as it also follows Batman early on in his career.

Flagged with your name mate. ?

I haven't written much the past couple of week - a combination of Elden Ring consuming my time and general post-Covid lethargy I think!, but hopefully will get started back up doing reviews as soon as I'm feeling it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So...

.... I think I'm taking a knee for a little bit.

I'm actually quite proud of you for identifying this and being honest and upfront about it, as well as the clear dedication to keeping your output's quality at as high a level as possible.

Personally, I feel pretty good when I'm able to finish writing even something shitty, because sure it's shit but at least I did it? that is to say that I'm lucky the bar is pretty low for me?

You're gonna be alright man, you're already taking the right approach by taking your time with it. And best believe and nobody goin anywhere, we'll all be happy to see you recharged and back to your normal self, whenever it may be!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In addition, all the other posts I make on this site seem to be antagonistic or snarky – or at least approaching that – and I'm getting very aware of how often I write some negative, mean-spirited thing, then only just catching myself before I hit the post button.

I'm not really active on the forums since I mostly favor Discord for communication, but on the instances where I do end up seeing you making a snarkier post (mainly when looking at the garbage fire threads that happen from time to time), it's towards the kinds of people that honestly deserve a bit of antagonism coming their way – I'm sure you know who these kinds of people are by now. :awesome: But I do understand not wanting to stoop down to their level.

In any case, hope you get well soon. Take as much time as you need to recover. :highfive:

• Like 3

Take as much time as you need Doc. We'll all be here when you get back!

I think a lot of us feel like that from time to time, and it is, it must be said, from personal experience, very easy to just let things build up and get on top of you quickly,which looks llike the case for others too, from a lot of the previous comments.

Just like Smevz said, good on you for recognising the signs and adddressing it before it started to become more of a problem for you. Negativity and you are usually poles apart, so if that's something that you're feeling a llittle bit of, then go and recharge yourself.

I'd be the first person to say that if writing is feeling like a slog then you're probably due a llittle break, but I very mmuch get it - that being said,  you should be so proud of the sheer volume of quality written pieces you've managed to crank out over the last year. You've more than earned a rest and and recharge!

I'm only a message away, if need be.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

Hope you feel better doc, also just wanted to say that your talk of the Artifex Mundi games got me intrigued since some are on sale. I bought 1 to try it out and after finishing it I ended up going back and bought 12 more....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Cheers duders, I'm not back out the black stuff quite all the way yet, but feeling a little more down for some gaming at least - want y'all to know how much I appreciate the ups though.

Welcome back mate!!

They do rebalance the game - specifically enemy health - to account for the second player... though the effect is not uniform across the board.  In practice, this rebalancing tends to make general gameplay (mob enemy encounters,) easier... but bosses harder. 

At least that gives us faith that the devs actually applied some thought to how they'd make the game suitable for co-op, right? Much better than doubling enemy health and damage and walking away. ?

This parallel play is more evident than ever in the item collection - items are not shared, and so both players are often competing to pick up the new items. That can be fun when playing with a friend - and with good communication - but would likely be a little irritating if playing voiceless, with strangers. 

Hopefully the amount of dropped loot is dropped?

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As such, (and for the first time in this thread!) I am moving Returnal up two notches from its already formidable ranking!

Breaking new ground... I love it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Doc, positively stellar Dead Cells review 2.0!! As I mentioned in your status update the other day, it's been a few years since I initially conquered this beast. I was quite enamored at seeing several new lists pop up for the game and hadn't really looked much into it other than reviewing said lists. I had been debating on whether I would take the plunge yet again, knowing full well I'd be getting my ass handed to me repeatedly trying to get the ground at my feet once again! But just reading your take on all this has me SOLD!

Man, I will say tho... 5bc run sounds extremely daunting, as 4bc was excruciating enough as is ? Ah well, as the good Doctor already prescribed, I see save scumming as the only way to get that done ? Agreed with you on 3bc being the sweet spot with the game. 

OOC, are the paid ones available to purchase as a set, or do they need bought individually? Either way, I assume it's probably not terribly expensive for the lot... IIRC the base game was a meager $15 for me at the time of purchase?

At any rate, loved hearing your take on this and, since I'm still stuck on finishing up Elden Ring, I'm gonna throw a "Praise the Dead Cells DLC" in there for good measure ? Also: "Try pickle, but hole" ??

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

Wow Doc, positively stellar Dead Cells review 2.0!! As I mentioned in your status update the other day, it's been a few years since I initially conquered this beast. I was quite enamored at seeing several new lists pop up for the game and hadn't really looked much into it other than reviewing said lists. I had been debating on whether I would take the plunge yet again, knowing full well I'd be getting my ass handed to me repeatedly trying to get the ground at my feet once again! But just reading your take on all this has me SOLD!

Man, I will say tho... 5bc run sounds extremely daunting, as 4bc was excruciating enough as is 1f605.png Ah well, as the good Doctor already prescribed, I see save scumming as the only way to get that done 1f606.png Agreed with you on 3bc being the sweet spot with the game. 

Haha - dude, trust me, I came back in, tried to start at 4bc, and died like 17 times in a row in the starter zone ?

I had to ratchet it back to 1bc, just to even make a dent - enough to try out some of the new builds and get some of the new weapons - though the ramp back up is pretty quick once you get your sea legs back (and your remember which enemies you despised last time round!)

The good thing about the vast majority of the DLCs is they can meet you at your comfort level - I did most of the Trilogy stuff on 2bc, with a little bit of 1bc for the no-hit bosses (I find that's actually the best place for those, as the increased weapon levels seem to offset any increase in boss aggression in 1bc, as opposed to 0bc) - the only part that is killer is the post Hand of the King stuff on 5bc.

That is a holy terror - I ended up leaving a cloud save - no joke - at the start of every single level of my 5bc runs, and basically learning where all the scrolls were, so I could zip through like a mad-man to outpace this new Malaise mechanic enough to be in good shape to deal with the Astrolab.

I appreciate that 5bc mode is there, but man - it's a country mile above my own abilities, for sure! :blink:

OOC, are the paid ones available to purchase as a set, or do they need bought individually? Either way, I assume it's probably not terribly expensive for the lot... IIRC the base game was a meager $15 for me at the time of purchase?

Not too sure on that one I'm afraid - I was always telling myself I was going to play again for pure fun, even before the trophies got added, so I actually bought every pack individually as they came out... it's just my dumb self who procrastinated, and never got around to trying them until the trophies told me to!

At any rate, loved hearing your take on this and, since I'm still stuck on finishing up Elden Ring, I'm gonna throw a "Praise the Dead Cells DLC" in there for good measure 1f64c.png Also: "Try pickle, but hole" 1f62e.png1f602.png

Try Finger? ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 16/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Bloodborne will be a really interesting entry point to the Soulsbourne genre!

If that's your first, you absolutely need to promise to do a review after you're done - I'd be fascinated to hear the thought of a Souls-neophyte who's entry point is that one - it's got all the good aspects that are common to the genre, but being as atypically fast paced and aggression-based as it is does make it something of an outlier - and almost everyone who has reviewed it (myself included) is familiar with at least a few previous ones, so naturally all their thoughts are from a baseline of 'Standard' Souls combat.

It will be really interesting to see how you view other ones after starting with Bloodborne too - I wonder if, for you, Bloodborne will seem like a baseline, and all others will feel languid and slow by comparison? :hmm:

I know this is an old message, but I'd like to share my experience. Bloodborne was my first Souls game. Some friends of mine gave it to me for my 22nd birthday. In that period I knew something about Dark Souls and I was fascinated by it, but I thought "too much effort for me". I couldn't say the same about Bloodborne, back then I barely knew it was FromSoftware's but I thought it was my time to play it. Well, I tried to play Bloodborne but I only felt frustration. I was stuck in Central Yarnham, I kept dying and I couldn't get the hang of it. I dropped it. "What a stupid game", I thought. Fast forward 1 month and I felt like I should have tried one more time. Nope, I reached Cleric Beast and I was stuck once again. Well, maybe it's a good game, but not my cup of tea.

Fast forward to August 2020 (7 months after my birthday) and I finally beat the game. I used save scumming to avoid the path to bosses every time I died, but I eventually understood the basics of the game and its unexplained mechanics. Then I beat Dark Souls Remastered, now Elden Ring and I think these are my favourite games ever, or at least, genre.

The learning curve is steep, but once you learn the basics, it's just a matter of try and repeat until you'll eventually "git gud".

The only thing I really dislike about Bloodborne even now is the fact that when you die, blood vials aren't replenished. It's just stupid because the more you die the more you are punished and sometimes this forces you to farm blood echoes to buy the blood vials. Other than this, it's a masterpiece.

Edited by ShinySpidey
  • Like 1