DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm really pleased you're actually doing some of these games quite the service! Especially ones that get bashed around with the "LOL EZPZ PLATINUM" stick!

Like this one...

I only had a pretty vague idea about what Jazzpunk was, I just never really looked into it all that much!

It sounds like a pretty chaotic but hilarious time though, especially when you mentioned how rewarding it can be to just sort of stumble around the open world areas and find some ridiculous gag that you'd never have expected.

15 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Adult Swim? Naked Gun? The??

My humor isn't very different from yours, so if you had a good time with Jazzpunk I have literally no reason to think I wouldn't too! Especially since it doesn't seem the gameplay drags it down any. I'm with it!

It's actually weird to me the Jazzpunk would even be considered in that EZPZ category - I mean, technically yeah, it's a game that could be run through with a guide to count as a "quick plat"... but really, I'd say it is only in the same sense something like Day of the Tentacle of Grim Fandango also is - like, ruining the game deliberately like that could push it into that category, but really, it's still too long and complicated to be classed along with the Breakthrough or Jumping X games, and there's so much there to enjoy if you play it properly, that I'd be sad to think of it that way.

It would be like watching The Naked Gun, but fast forwarding the jokes ?

I actually thought of Jazzpunk to do now for a specific reason - seeing the way Stick it to The Man did the checklist rounds recently, I thought Jazzpunk is a good one to highlight, as I could totally see it being one of those games that a bunch of checklists discover now, and laugh along with... I really can't imagine someone liking the humour of Stick it to The Man, but not digging Jazzpunk.

This review is my version of a bird-seed-gun, fired onto it, so y'all can swarm on it, and carry it off...

zoZ80kZ.gif

?

For some reason, my mind completely drifted off when I read this part last night, and I imagined how hilarious it would be if Mr Snuffleupagus (The Mammoth from Sesame Street).... this guy....

snuffleupagus-mr.gif

Happened to use that same upbeat and encouraging voice to just..... Call me a C**t! You know if you couldn't guess, that word that this site censors above most others. I just couldn't get out of my head how funny that would sound :dunno:?

?

This is the kind of thing I have to police! My kid will go down rabbit holes of clicking on new Youtube vids.. and occasionally parody stuff makes it in there, and I have to figure out the history functions on Youtube, just to get it away before he starts repeating it in school!

I can sort of understand some long-time Resident Evil fans gripes that it doesn't feel Resident Evil enough, but for me that was half the reason I loved it so much, BECAUSE it was so different, yet just sharing enough DNA that it is connected.

It's funny - having now finished it, and immediately played the RE2 and RE3 remakes, I don't think it's really that far outside of traditional RE in terms of gameplay... but it does just manage to transpose that stuff to a whole new setting with such flair, that it's surprising. I could totally see someone playing RE7 first, and being genuinely surprised when they go back to the older ones that the game still works in an urban, zombie setting!

So.... am I actually a Horror fan? And I just haven't really realised? :lol::facepalm: I saw the influence of most of these myself when I played the game. I particularly liked the allusions to Rec and Blair Witch in this one too, as I think that's something they did an incredibly good job with.

I think you might just be... 

...you're just more like me - I can take or leave the shlock horror, but the cream of the horror crop can still go punch for punch with any other genre, and a great one always really sticks with you!

They're a bit all over the place those DLC's. As a general rule I really like them, and I think as far as actual playtime goes, they are some of the very best value for money ones available. I certainly appreciated what they were trying to do, by putting so much variety into them. So yo could compare Amnesia: Machine For Pigs, to the Daughters DLC huh? That's the Amnesia game I'm most looking forward to, You can probably guess why, because of my Jessica Curry sound goblin tendencies, now I'm even more interested in getting to it. I thought Daughters was great!

It's interesting that in RE8 (which I'm very mixed on, and found way worse than RE7) still has some great parts - and one is a section that is very P.T. / Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs inspired in the middle... which Daughters almost feels like a test-run for. 

It's one of the highlights of that game, definitely - there seems to be scope for RE to dabble in that more Walking Sim horror going forward... and it works!

15 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

So many missed reviews...

....I gotta comment!! Where's the reply section??

Holy crumbs, dude!

Did you read all of those in one go?

You're a mad man! ?

Ehh... questionable controls and writing, Sims reference, that's all I need to hear. Another icon I can safely pass when I'm mindlessly scrolling through the next sale!

Yeah - just stick with Virginia, and await the next one from Variable State, I think.

This one is (hopefully) the difficult middle child!

This looks absolutely gorgeous, and when I originally read this review I went straight to a trailer and it was confirmed. The gameplay's fierce originality looks to be as captivating as the visuals, and though the fact that you of all people had difficulty finding everything without assistance terrifies me just a tad, I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for this one!

Oh yeah - it's gorgeous to look at, and the game is great - I wouldn't worry about that one crazy trophy  -there's zero shame in consulting online help with that one, as it's obtuse as hell, but doable with some guidance, and the "regular" game is top notch puzzling fare!

I've heard a lot about this one! Sidenote, I know it's just the name, but I keep getting this mixed up with the Stanford Prison Experiment. Now there would be an uneasy game?

This game's opening reminds me of a short story that appeared in the booklet for the Radiohead EP How am I Driving? entitled New Job. I have looked all over but cannot find the text to save my life! I'll have to dig up the CD myself and just take a picture I guess!

Anyway! Still need to get on board with this guy. Love the outside of the box approach, love the dedication to its jokes, just sounds like a truly unique experience.

Oh, it's required play for someone with your sense of humour, I reckon - and this new version really does keep up the quality, which isn't easy to do with a decade old comedy game!

I saw "Deck building" and had to slap myself in the face in order to continue reading, I feel bad about that but my knee jerk was like "NOPE."

It certainly sounds demanding, I will say that! But given that Curse of the Dead Gods and Hades are already on the list, I'll probably pass on this one (unless I absolutely fall in love with Curse, in which case I'll likely revisit this review).

Yeah, it surprised me no end this one, though for sure it's a deck-builder through and through, and I don't really have the genre knowledge to judge it compared to others. I keep meaning to get to Griftlands (that will be my next one) but there's just not enough hours in the day!

Probably will have to get into Life Is Strange first, but I'm drawn in by your description of the soundtrack alone. I'll just assume it'll go well when I get into Strange and make a mental note for this one!

I certainly recommend Life is Strange over Road 96 - both good, and the soundtracks are great in both, but even on that front, LiS runs away with it for me. Before the Storm in particular - that Daughter soundtrack is unparalleled!

Realm recently wrote about this, and the whole time I was like "wasn't I talking to somebody about this game?" I wasn't of course, I had just read this review - a testament to your writing skills, by the way! Also particularly enjoyed watching this game's quick battle with Detroit?

This one's on the list. It sounds great to me!

It's a quick plat, so not likely to eat up much time, but it's certainly worth it, and makes a lot more use of that time than one might expect!

This is precisely the type of game I would play for the challenge you were talking about maybe possibly hosting. I just have a natural aversion to games of this ilk and my reasons are pretty much exactly things you've said about the genre before and in this very review.

But I mean... if a game's good, a game's good, right?

Haha - for sure - I mean, the game it appears to be on the surface is definitely not in my personal wheelhouse... 

...but then, the game is secretly is absolutely is!

Okay, I changed my mind - this was the best read of the bunch!

I've long considered completing the main games up to 5 and retiring from the franchise, but I've just heard too much good about this, and your write-up cements it - guess I'ma have to add it to the list!

Definitely - hell, RE7 can absolutely just be done as a wholly separate thing, to be honest... there's so little franchise connection, that even someone who doesn't even understand the few tie-ins is really missing nothing in the overall experience... and it's a hell of an experience!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It would be like watching The Naked Gun, but fast forwarding the jokes 1f602.png

I'm trying to picture The Naked Gun without all the jokes... and oddly enough I feel the disjointed ten minutes you'd get out of that would fit right in as an Adult Swim short!

I actually thought of Jazzpunk to do now for a specific reason - seeing the way Stick it to The Man did the checklist rounds recently, I thought Jazzpunk is a good one to highlight, as I could totally see it being one of those games that a bunch of checklists discover now, and laugh along with... I really can't imagine someone liking the humour of Stick it to The Man, but not digging Jazzpunk.

This review is my version of a bird-seed-gun, fired onto it, so y'all can swarm on it, and carry it off...

zoZ80kZ.gif

Everybody needs some zany sometiiiiimes...

I think you might just be... 

...you're just more like me - I can take or leave the shlock horror, but the cream of the horror crop can still go punch for punch with any other genre, and a great one always really sticks with you!

Facts!

Holy crumbs, dude!

Did you read all of those in one go?

You're a mad man! 1f61d.png

Haha thankfully no... I had already read them all (except the newer batch) so I just needed to skim and find the points I had wanted to respond to in the first place. I do the same with with Mr. Clarke's thread all the time! I'll read a review and think "I'll leave a comment later.." and then three or four reviews later I'm like "....crap."

Oh yeah - it's gorgeous to look at, and the game is great - I wouldn't worry about that one crazy trophy  -there's zero shame in consulting online help with that one, as it's obtuse as hell, but doable with some guidance, and the "regular" game is top notch puzzling fare!

I wonder if one of the developers was like "guys, we're trying way too hard here" and then snuck off to a computer to upload a complete walkthrough while wearing the trenchcoat and hat combo!

I certainly recommend Life is Strange over Road 96 - both good, and the soundtracks are great in both, but even on that front, LiS runs away with it for me. Before the Storm in particular - that Daughter soundtrack is unparalleled!

Yeahmann... really gotta get into Life Is Strange, man. I need to make out a physical list and put games in order or something, cuz at this point I'm just grasping at whatever game happens to float by. I need order!!

Haha - for sure - I mean, the game it appears to be on the surface is definitely not in my personal wheelhouse... 

...but then, the game is secretly is absolutely is!

You're right. I need to get over my personal prejudices and do the right thing.....wait, am I a video game Karen?????

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Overall, inFamous is a pretty great game mechanically, a perfectly adequate game narratively, and a workman like, if not terribly impressive game visually and auditorially. It was "Triple A" at the time, though now, feels almost more a great example of the "B-Game" than a "Triple A" in some sense - the kind of game you love despite some flaws, rather than one you notice flaws in and shake your head despairingly.
It set the ground work for a better sequel, but that by no means suggests the original entry was anything to sniff at - it was a truly competent open world game, (released at a time when those were truly in vogue and plentiful,) and it still stood taller than most of its peers.
It might not be the most original game structurally, but there's a lot to be said for the comfort of a very competent rendition of old ideas. 
Just ask Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Hell yeah it was AAA at the time! Man had such fun with Infamous back in the day. Was a really massive game for me on the PS3, no other game felt quite like it. That was the time when Sony was really starting to bring the big exclusives to the console. It's a pity that there have only been 3 main games in the series and the First Light spin off(Ironically I have only platinumed Second Son) but the 1st 2 especially were a ton of fun. ?

On 6/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

As said, I think Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is now the pinnacle of Resident Evil games for me... and for Science!

Don't feel the same way personally, but I understand why you feel that way and it was a great read! 

• Like 2

Followed. 

Cool to see From games up at the top. I just revisited DSII. The PS4 version of that game on a PS5 is much better than the PS3 version. Don't think you'll agree with this; but I actually enjoyed it more than Elden Ring. ER is far too open for my liking. 

Also, did you hear that Shatter is getting remastered? That game rules; I am really excited to earn its platinum (devs confirmed the remastered version will feature one). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Followed. 

Cool to see From games up at the top. I just revisited DSII. The PS4 version of that game on a PS5 is much better than the PS3 version. Don't think you'll agree with this; but I actually enjoyed it more than Elden Ring. ER is far too open for my liking. 

Also, did you hear that Shatter is getting remastered? That game rules; I am really excited to earn its platinum (devs confirmed the remastered version will feature one). 

Shatter was cool - that’s awesome!

Hopefully that soundtrack will come over intact too, it ripped, and is still on my iPod like a decade later!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Shatter was cool - that’s awesome!

Hopefully that soundtrack will come over intact too, it ripped, and is still on my iPod like a decade later!

Oh yeah, that game's soundtrack is amazing. I'm really excited. 

...I still use an MP3 player, lol. I have a Walkman I use daily from when I was living in Japan. 

• Like 1

Hey Doc, sorry I'm so late but I wanted you to know I read your RE7 write up a while ago and went "I'll respond to that soon" and then forgot bc I suck lol. But that was probably the best review I've seen on it. It's one of my favorite RE games and I wish I could experience it for the first time again. As a big RE fan, it honestly blew my mind. I've become so desensitized to horror that I don't get spooked by scary games very often but they did such a good job building the atmosphere, I was genuinely terrified most of my first (and even my second and third) time through. I know a lot of people don't like how different it was from past games, but like you said the first person perspective was both a fresh take and amped up the immersion factor by a lot. I only managed to kick my anxiety with the game when I was practicing for my speedrun and had to learn it inside and out. But even now when I replay it I still find myself filled with dread when the Bakers are stalking me throughout the house, especially when you have to get into that hatch to get under the house for the first time and Jack is right behind you and Ethan takes a million years to use the key lmao that's a workout for the heart. The locations are all iconic and horrific in their own ways. The ship in particular gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason. I did find Ethan pretty goofy as a protagonist, and his reactions to crazy things to be very underwhelming and odd. Example being when Marguerite transforms and he just goes "well, that's special.." but if some bugs get on him when he goes through a passage in the wall he freaks out lol. I do find him endearing though, and more understandable as a character after playing Village. Which I also did enjoy, but not as much as 7. You did open my eyes to something else too, and that's peoples issues with 6. I personally had a lot of good times with my friends playing RE6 so I'm probably biased, but I have always been like "why does 6 get so much hate??". I just really loved the way it was like 4 entire games in one, and all of the iconic characters that were in it. There will always be a special place in my heart for the Chris and Piers campaign. But I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't particularly like RE5 bc the gameplay was so different, like they abandoned the horror aspect completely to be CoD Zombies or something. I guess I was just so excited about Leon, Chris, Sherry and Ada all being playable in the same game and enjoying the story so much (even if it was kinda silly sometimes) that I didn't really realize it had the same issue I had with 5 in terms of being.. not like other RE games. Maybe that's why 7 came as such a shock and breath of fresh air haha.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

Hey Doc, sorry I'm so late but I wanted you to know I read your RE7 write up a while ago and went "I'll respond to that soon" and then forgot bc I suck lol. But that was probably the best review I've seen on it.

Thanks Billie!

It's one of my favorite RE games and I wish I could experience it for the first time again. As a big RE fan, it honestly blew my mind. I've become so desensitized to horror that I don't get spooked by scary games very often but they did such a good job building the atmosphere, I was genuinely terrified most of my first (and even my second and third) time through. I know a lot of people don't like how different it was from past games, but like you said the first person perspective was both a fresh take and amped up the immersion factor by a lot. I only managed to kick my anxiety with the game when I was practicing for my speedrun and had to learn it inside and out. But even now when I replay it I still find myself filled with dread when the Bakers are stalking me throughout the house, especially when you have to get into that hatch to get under the house for the first time and Jack is right behind you and Ethan takes a million years to use the key lmao that's a workout for the heart.

Haha - I know what you mean. I actually found they did a great job with some of the DLC in that regard too - by the time I felt I had wrung all the scares out of the main game, they do something like Ethan Must Die or Daughters, or Bedroom, and manage to inject a whole new scare-factor using existing assets!

I did find Ethan pretty goofy as a protagonist, and his reactions to crazy things to be very underwhelming and odd. Example being when Marguerite transforms and he just goes "well, that's special.." but if some bugs get on him when he goes through a passage in the wall he freaks out lol.

Yes!

I know what you mean - I noticed that even more in RE8 actually - do you remember when he has to flip an electrical switch that is full of mould and gross vomit - and he pauses and goes “ugh, disgusting”…

…I’m like “dude, a half hour ago you were STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EXPLODED CORPSE OF A MUTANT FLYING BUG LADY!” ?

I do find him endearing though, and more understandable as a character after playing Village. Which I also did enjoy, but not as much as 7. You did open my eyes to something else too, and that's peoples issues with 6. I personally had a lot of good times with my friends playing RE6 so I'm probably biased, but I have always been like "why does 6 get so much hate??". I just really loved the way it was like 4 entire games in one, and all of the iconic characters that were in it. There will always be a special place in my heart for the Chris and Piers campaign. But I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't particularly like RE5 bc the gameplay was so different, like they abandoned the horror aspect completely to be CoD Zombies or something. I guess I was just so excited about Leon, Chris, Sherry and Ada all being playable in the same game and enjoying the story so much (even if it was kinda silly sometimes) that I didn't really realize it had the same issue I had with 5 in terms of being.. not like other RE games. Maybe that's why 7 came as such a shock and breath of fresh air haha.

I mean - I do think RE6 is the low point for sure, but it’s not like there’s nothing good there…

…I’ll go to bat for Helena as a good character - and actually, I enjoyed a lot of her and Leon’s story - it’s just wildly over long as an overall game, and far, far from the RE roots I loved early on. It’s not like the actual gameplay was terrible or anything - RE has never really ever had a poor playing entry… it just left a lot of the best elements -like the scares and the tension - on the floor

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Legacy

Inksplosion

Virtue's Last Reward

New

Chicory

Resident Evil VIII: Village

Telling Lies

Subject(s) in RED marked for 274e.pngPRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT274e.png

[Care of @grayhammmer ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Hitman 3, continue its glorious reign?

Is gaming turdlet LA Cops ever going to lose the title of 'Least Awesome Game'?

Let's find out, Science Chums!

Ah Virtue's Last Reward, curious to hear your thoughts on this. I loved it, couldn't get through it quick enough. I actually spent a large portion of the morning before i got married playing it. Could not drag myself away. Well I got married so I must have done at some point but it was that good. Steins Gate wasn't bad but I've never come across another VN that grabbed me like this did. Probably never will as my vita is long since retired and they don't fit the big screen as well IMO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

Ah Virtue's Last Reward, curious to hear your thoughts on this. I loved it, couldn't get through it quick enough. I actually spent a large portion of the morning before i got married playing it. Could not drag myself away. 

Uh oh….

….well… I hope you remember how much you and I have previously agreed on l when I post that one… ??

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

A fine job as usual, Doc! Also hooray, a timely response?

L04bfc9.png

Inksplosion

Interesting! I'll have to watch some gameplay or something on this one. Maybe I'll play this one to get the feeling of making a mess, and then Unpacking to feel like I cleaned up afterwards!

Lc33489.png

Chicory

You had me at burrito dog❤

Then the comparisons to SNES RPGs and The Artful Escape, properly handling mental health issues, encouraging visual creativity... SOLD, all caps, full stop.

Le24f4c.png

Initially I was disappointed to see that the franchise didn't seem to harness the momentum from RE7 being as good as it was... but then I was also relieved to not feel the need to toss another Resi title onto the backlog?

Who am I kidding though, if I get into 7 I'll probably try this one out as well!

Le4201c.png

Telling Lies

No joke, this might be the push I need to give FMV games another shot. Between this and the Mr. Clarke-recommended Doctor Dekker, I think I'd be set. You did a great job of selling this one, man!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Le24f4c.png

Despite never playing it, I greatly enjoyed the game from an odd perspective, mainly because I am a Romanian myself ~ I couldn't help but have some fun at the expense of RE8.

First of all, I know that at launch there was an entire debacle about how to pronounce Lady Dimitrescu's name. It was either "Lady Dimitreesk" or "Lady Dimitrix" (spoiler - both of the prononciations are wrong, but it's not an easy name to pronounce anyway) and no further corrections were accepted xD 

Second of all, this scene:

5353v1cbgox61.png

I know we are a poor country but come on, ciorba de legume is literally translated as "vegetable soup", we don't have a hidden local recipe for it, we just heat water and throw vegetables in it. Gourmet ++.

Mega bonus points for the pot though, it does look authentic as hell! 

And third point was the most hilarious, when a Canadian friend of mine, big Resident Evil fan, messaged me with "dude, they are making a game about your country, they will even add werewolves!" to which I was "wow nobody announced me we have werewolves as monsters. Weren't we the vampires dudes?"

Guess Romania got a promotion with the RE8 village in terms of monster lore xD 

Other than that, I "think" it's a solid game?(still can't play horror games to save my life). Fantastic review as usual ?haven't had this much fun with Romanian representation since I played the first Romanian level in Hitman Contracts :D 

I also really need to have a look at that Chicory game, it looks quite amazing honestly.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I know that at launch there was an entire debacle about how to pronounce Lady Dimitrescu's name. It was either "Lady Dimitreesk" or "Lady Dimitrix" (spoiler - both of the prononciations are wrong, but it's not an easy name to pronounce anyway) and no further corrections were accepted xD 

Well, I had no idea how to pronounce it on paper, but in game, the pronunciation seems to be “De-mei’tress” with an emphasis on the “TREss”…

…not sure if they got it right or not though!

22 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, I had no idea how to pronounce it on paper, but in game, the pronunciation seems to be “De-mei’tress” with an emphasis on the “TREss”…

…not sure if they got it right or not though!

It's Di: - mi: - tres - coo, as an easy prononciation

I: meaning a short ee, so to speak. 

Romanian 101 ?

• Like 2

L7ee136.png

On 23/05/2022 at 2:57 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

the player can "rotate" the world, and when rotated to a specific gravitational axis, the whole world receives a slight change in hue to correspond to that colour. 
If the world is flipped to "Blue" gravity (Wherein blue cubes are movable, and blue rivers will flow,) the whole world has a slight blue over-sheen. If they then flip around to purple, or red, or green, the same logic applies. 
It's both a smart mechanical feature, (in a game as dimensionally confusing as Manifold Garden can be, a shorthand to remember which way is up is most welcome,) and also a nice artistic one - that the world looks great in all six variations of hue is an artistic feat in and of itself.

My goodness the priority to get into this one is getting pushed up by this review. The promo material definitely worries me a little regarding establishing where I am in the puzzles. It looks like M. C. Escher meets the dreamworld from Inception. Hopefully there's at least a few landmarks?

L8041ad.png

Here's one that I had written off prior to your review...but it sounds very good. Do I need to have played any of the prior versions?

L575355.png

Oooh deck building... such an underrated idea not just within gaming but also apparently in my own mind! Building a deck is a niche aspect of actually playing any card game but that tactical thinking of the strengths and weaknesses of your own 'team' is clearly addictive. After many years of not being able to put my finger on why I like card games, I realised this is because of the 'team building' aspect. Sometimes being the coach or the general manager of a team can be just as rewarding as playing the sport... Sometimes being the General commanding the army is more engaging than swinging the sword.

Deck building was certainly the best part of Gwent. My wife and I own a few sets of Dominion, which is a physical deck-building game that I'd thoroughly recommend and we're looking forward to trying Paperback as well. Have you tried those?

Also... what's next now after Slay the Spire? Deep Sky Derelicts?

Lad40b4.png

It's disappointing to see this one ranking so low. What I mean by that is that I haven't played it, hoped that it was better but also trust your judgement enough to leave it for a deeeeep sale.

It did look to me like Life Is Strange but a little better - you might unfollow my checklist by the time you read my review of the first LIS, doc. I just...I just don't like it. ?

L48b64a.png

This is going to be great. Full faith. Mrs Vice should enjoy it too. Hopefully there's a sequel, too, it seems ripe for the picking.

L96915b.png

What's a genuine estimated time to complete this one? I'd have to play it home alone. The subversion of the overt genre seems extremely interesting and I genuinely think I could consider playing this one... but I don't need an audience questioning it. ? The degree to which my wife and I can accept weeb culture differs a bit. Sexualised schoolgirls is hard to justify.

... But it just doesn't seem like it would be right to watch a playthrough online for Doki Doki LC+... it looks like a game that actually maximises the medium's player input to tell the story and therefore should be experienced as a player.

Lcce220.png

On 01/06/2022 at 2:52 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

It becomes mediocre by average - because half of its elements are fantastic, and the other half are straight up bad.

Oh noooooo! The disappointment! It looked so good!

L9b7bc7.png

... but is it worth buying a Vita?? Here's to continued hope that Papers Please will get ported to another PlayStation platform in the distant future. It looks incredible...

L6ef0d2.png

On 17/06/2022 at 8:40 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

It isn't a particularly difficult or long game, and in some sense underuses what is a pretty great set of mechanics... 
...though if the worst thing one can say about a game is that they wish there was more of it, that is a pretty sound endorsement of what is there!

Agreed. If we took twenty factors that we all use to measure a game's quality (artsyle, technical prowess, storytelling, dialogue, soundtrack etc etc), I'd always place 'length' firmly in last place. 

We are living in an entertainment renaissance. There is too much content to experience. I'll take quality over quantity every time.

It's therefore somehow reassuring that The Gardens Between's length is the biggest issue that you identified.

Lf0e4ff.png

Like Papers PleaseJazzpunk eyed me from your profile saying "ask DrBM to review me next." It just looks so kitschy. And dry. And off-the-wall. You've sold it to me of course but it will probably fall behind The Stanley Parable on a scale of priority. Sound fair?

Lc33489.png

On 16/07/2022 at 2:52 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

The player takes the role of a sweet, somewhat naive anthropomorphic dog (who's name is determined by the player in answer to the question "What is your favourite food?" - and will therefore be referred to in this review by my chose name - Burrito!)

Who makes these mythical burritos that are so good as to rocket them to the top of your favourite food list? It is such a spicy opinion that I must ask the question!

Thanks for the in-depth review. You pulled Chicory out of my basket of abandonment and stuck it on the wishlist... sounds like something for me to play in a future Mental Health Community Event on PSNP. I do struggle to find games for that event. 

Thanks for the reviews lately! Clearly our tastes frequently align. Don't mistake my (and likely many others') lack of suggestions for review suggestions... I like just seeing them come out as they come out. ?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

L7ee136.png

My goodness the priority to get into this one is getting pushed up by this review. The promo material definitely worries me a little regarding establishing where I am in the puzzles. It looks like M. C. Escher meets the dreamworld from Inception. Hopefully there's at least a few landmarks?

Absolutely - I think the majority of the game (setting aside the one extreme trophy for the outrageously well hidden 0% run) is remarkably well laid out - you do feel a little lost at times, but mostly, simply following logic around will eventually get you somewhere you can latch onto - you might find a puzzle somewhere in the middle, rather than the beginning, but the nature of the game means you can usually stumble and intuit your way through it with some trial and error - and in a game as obviously confusing as it is, that's pretty admirable. 

It's not perfect, but it works better than you'd think!

L8041ad.png

Here's one that I had written off prior to your review...but it sounds very good. Do I need to have played any of the prior versions?

Nope - this one has the entire main game in it - and as long as you tell the truth when it asks "Have you played The Stanley Parable before?" it'll make sure you see the original stuff before the new stuff. You're all good! ?

L575355.png

Oooh deck building... such an underrated idea not just within gaming but also apparently in my own mind! Building a deck is a niche aspect of actually playing any card game but that tactical thinking of the strengths and weaknesses of your own 'team' is clearly addictive. After many years of not being able to put my finger on why I like card games, I realised this is because of the 'team building' aspect. Sometimes being the coach or the general manager of a team can be just as rewarding as playing the sport... Sometimes being the General commanding the army is more engaging than swinging the sword.

Deck building was certainly the best part of Gwent. My wife and I own a few sets of Dominion, which is a physical deck-building game that I'd thoroughly recommend and we're looking forward to trying Paperback as well. Have you tried those?

Also... what's next now after Slay the Spire? Deep Sky Derelicts?

I haven't tried Dominion - or many physical card games actually - I think my most time was with a Middle Earth card game back when I was younger, but even then, I didn't ever really play enough to become great at it!

This one was a leap for me - but definitely a rewarding one!

Next card game is for sure going to be Griftlands (it's Klei after all! ?) I'm actually deliberately leaving it a little bit though, so I fully forget the muscle-memory of Slay the Spire, so I don't end up confusing my addled brain, with two different sets of card-based games' rules ?

Lad40b4.png

It's disappointing to see this one ranking so low. What I mean by that is that I haven't played it, hoped that it was better but also trust your judgement enough to leave it for a deeeeep sale.

Oh- don't let the placement on the ranking put you of that one - the list has grown now to the point where rank 197 - for a smaller game like Road 96 - is not really a negative - I'd still recommend it to anyone who feels interested by the review - it's just not necessarily for everyone, or really doing the things it does at the level of some other examples.
Still a good time though, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

It did look to me like Life Is Strange but a little better - you might unfollow my checklist by the time you read my review of the first LIS, doc. I just...I just don't like it. 1f622.png

Ha - we can't agree on everything, and I fully admit - my love of Life is Strange is as much personal as any game ever is. I have a real soft spot for magical realism, for time travel, for teen romance, for indie cinema, and for angsty melodrama when done right - so it hits all my buttons - plus, it's soundtrack is right in my wheelhouse!

I've been invested in that universe for a long time now - from the games, to the soundtracks, to the comic book sequel, and it means a lot to me - but from a pure videogame standpoint, they are not the most incredible games. They just speak to me on a level that works!

L48b64a.png

This is going to be great. Full faith. Mrs Vice should enjoy it too. Hopefully there's a sequel, too, it seems ripe for the picking.

Absolutely - totally worth an afternoon of your time!

L96915b.png

What's a genuine estimated time to complete this one? I'd have to play it home alone. The subversion of the overt genre seems extremely interesting and I genuinely think I could consider playing this one... but I don't need an audience questioning it. 1f602.png The degree to which my wife and I can accept weeb culture differs a bit. Sexualised schoolgirls is hard to justify.

... But it just doesn't seem like it would be right to watch a playthrough online for Doki Doki LC+... it looks like a game that actually maximises the medium's player input to tell the story and therefore should be experienced as a player.

100%

I would absolutely recommend the game - almost more so if that kind of cultural stuff doesn't work for you - as I'm exactly the same.

Even in series I love like Persona, I bristle sometimes when that stuff creeps in - but Doki Doki actually manages to use that discomfort as a weapon - and it works so well as a result. 

I actually suspect that for people who love that kind of thing, Doki Doki probably doesn't work as well - they probably feel betrayed by it rather than seeing it as the amazing bait-n-switch that it is!

Lcce220.png

Oh noooooo! The disappointment! It looked so good!

It's... not terrible. it has some AMAZING stuff.

Just... know that you'll be in for some frustrating bullshit along the way. 

L9b7bc7.png

... but is it worth buying a Vita?? Here's to continued hope that Papers Please will get ported to another PlayStation platform in the distant future. It looks incredible...

I'd say don't go trying to buy a vita if you have the option of an iPad version or something - the game isn't long, so tough to justify that expense - but absolutely seek the game out in some fashion - it's a hell of an experience!

L6ef0d2.png

Agreed. If we took twenty factors that we all use to measure a game's quality (artsyle, technical prowess, storytelling, dialogue, soundtrack etc etc), I'd always place 'length' firmly in last place. 

We are living in an entertainment renaissance. There is too much content to experience. I'll take quality over quantity every time.

It's therefore somehow reassuring that The Gardens Between's length is the biggest issue that you identified.

Cool game, and totally worth playing - not one that would work to watch at all - I'd bet seeing a video, you'd not even realise what was being done in a lot of the puzzles, but it works great in motion!

Lf0e4ff.png

Like Papers PleaseJazzpunk eyed me from your profile saying "ask DrBM to review me next." It just looks so kitschy. And dry. And off-the-wall. You've sold it to me of course but it will probably fall behind The Stanley Parable on a scale of priority. Sound fair?

I'd agree - The Stanley Parable is a really clever comedy game - Jazzpunk is just balls-to-the-wall funny.
Its not trying to be clever - it's trying to make you laugh -  and it works IMO - but The Stanley Parable definitely has more meat on the discussion bone!

Lc33489.png

Who makes these mythical burritos that are so good as to rocket them to the top of your favourite food list? It is such a spicy opinion that I must ask the question!

Thanks for the in-depth review. You pulled Chicory out of my basket of abandonment and stuck it on the wishlist... sounds like something for me to play in a future Mental Health Community Event on PSNP. I do struggle to find games for that event. 

Yeah - the mental health event really came to mind with this one - it's not one on the outside I would have thought of, but man - I cannot think of a more appropriate game for it than this one now that I've played it!

An outstanding game - really really special!

Thanks for the reviews lately! Clearly our tastes frequently align. Don't mistake my (and likely many others') lack of suggestions for review suggestions... I like just seeing them come out as they come out. 1f642.png

Haha - thank you man!

I must admit, as much as I like getting the suggestions to give me some direction, I'm sort of enjoying just plucking games form the clear blue sky - or via other discussions we have, so don't worry - I have ore than enough to work with even without any! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

On 15/07/2022 at 7:52 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L3feb61.png

Virtue's Last Reward

Summary: 

After the success of sleeper hit 999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) on DS, (which fared significantly better in the west than either its publisher or Chunsoft, its developer, expected,) a sequel - Virtue's Last Reward - was green-lit for both DS and PS Vita release.

999, for those unfamiliar, was a soft-horror Visual Novel / Puzzle game hybrid, combining a quirky - and often ludicrous - cast of characters, all of whom had been kidnapped from their different walks of life by the mysterious Jigsaw-like figure Zero, and thrown together in an abandoned ship decked out with puzzles for them to solve as part of a game... one which gave them 9 hours to escape, before they would all be blown up. 
Across multiple playthroughs, the player could make different choices, see more possible outcomes, and work towards unlocking and seeing a "True" ending - only possible after playing the game enough to see everything else.

It was a particularly peculiar and often eccentric game - tonally, narratively, and mechanically -  but one that managed to straddle the line between horror, puzzle, visual novel and thriller fans, pulling in and retaining just enough of each separate audience to form a cult following, and become a genuine cult success.

(Full disclosure, I played 999 around the time of its release, circa 2010. By the time I played Virtue's Last Reward, 3 years later, the memory of it had faded a little, but at this point, having not touched 999 since its release, I freely admit my memory of it is less than comprehensive in terms of narrative detail!)

Virtue's Last Reward picks up where 999 left off in terms of universe and history, but with a new protagonist, new NPC characters, new puzzles... and a new - far more complex life-and-death game into which they have been involuntarily ushered. Would the lightning that had struck on 999 be able to be replicated again?
...well....
... that depends on whom one asks.
I am fully aware that there are many who consider VLR to be the superior game to its predecessor. It is without a doubt the more highly polished, well produced and certainly the more complex and interesting of the two... but it is one I don't personally enjoy nearly as much as the original game. While recognising the big reaches the game makes (and as an admirer of ambition in narrative games, whether it is wholly successful or not, I certainly admire Virtue's Last Reward on those terms. However, I cannot deny that in expanding the scope and ambition of the first game, I feel like a lot of the charm of the original game was manoeuvred out of the series, and crushed under the weight of that ambition.

Despite the tonal and gameplay similarity, there are a number of significant changes in VLR as compared to 999 that should be addressed.
999 was entirely 2D. VLR is rendered, for the most part, in polygonal 3D. While this is entirely understandable, given the greater budget available for VLR, I personally feel a lot of the charm of the game, is lost in doing so. 999 felt in a lot of way like it was (perhaps accidentally) touching nostalgia for adventure games of the late 90s, with it's ridiculous lines and over-the-top acting, and it felt perfectly suited to a more modest, 2D venue. VLR, on the other hand, with its (not always particularly high-poly) 3D models, feels more like a lower budget Vita game than a higher budget DS game, and tends to feel like it leans into its shortcomings, rather than its eccentricities. 

Another big change is voice acting - there's much more voice acting in VLR than in in 999 - and  unfortunately, it isn't particularly great. It's a shame, as the voice actors themselves are not entirely to blame here - the silly, convoluted nature of the storylines in 999 and VLR, and the extreme, outlandish  characters don't lend themselves to voice acting particularly well in a game predicated primarily on mystery and puzzle solving. In truth, while some voice acting performances in the game are better than others, all of them tend to become grating by the end, simply by nature of how much there is, and how over-the-top the content is.

Those are simply the presentational aspects though, and while they are negatives in terms of comparison between the two games, I must concede - there are elements of genuine improvement in VLR. The actual puzzles are of similar quality to the original game, but in VLR, there is significantly more attention paid to variety within these puzzles - and each feels rather more unique and different than they previously did. While some puzzles do suffer somewhat for the odd pairing of genres - they often tend to fall in an odd gap between being too difficult for the fan coming to VLR for the visual novel, but too easy for those coming for the puzzle game - that was also an issue with 999 as well. 
In fact, the few times that a puzzle seemed wildly too esoteric or miles outside of the difficulty curve of the rest of the game are far less frequent than in 999, where puzzles would be generally pretty easy, then suddenly require a logic leap that brought the game to a grinding halt.  Again - this is as much an issue with the genre mashup as anything else - as a puzzle game fan, I am perfectly happy to be thoroughly stumped by a puzzle for a good long time... however, when a game is evenly split between narrative and puzzle, there is a requirement that the difficulty remain relatively consistent, as grinding the narrative to a halt for too long can result in difficulty following it.

One area I am conflicted on, however, is the complexity of the narrative, and a new system introduced, called the FLOW system. 

999 did have a legitimate problem in its game design  - the nature of the game (both 999 and VLR) is such that only by achieving all possible endings to the narrative, can the "True" ending be seen, and the game "completed". In 999, this was something of a burdensome factor, because it required 6 full playthroughs of the game, much of which is the same or very similar in each run, and there was no facility to reduce, quicken or skip any portion previously played.

The way VLR deals with this issue is actually very good - it includes fast-forward options to skip dialogue until new content comes up, (much like Doki Doki Literature Club+ does,) however, in some sense, it almost "overshoots" the problem, and introduces a new one. 
VLR not only allows the player to skip forward rapidly, but it allows them to swap between the branching timelines at will. This can seem confusing - and depending on how the player approaches it, it can definitely be so, but actually, that is only the start of the issue. The actual narrative of the game is woven into this mechanics - before long, the main character the player is controlling, begins to have fractured memories of other timelines, that they should have. They are remembering things the player has seen, but they haven't... and this opens up a wild new direction for the game, where metaphysics and Shrodringer's Cat scenarios begin to compound, as characters own minds are affected by the player's actions of observing them. 

It's a very cool concept, however, the issue with it is that it makes the game far more of an investment that the original game ever felt. While my time with 999 allowed for playing a playthrough, then leaving the game a while, then picking it back up for another playthrough later (as is very befitting the handheld consoles,) VLR relies on a lot of information being retained by the player as to what is going on across multiple timelines all at once. The net effect being, in trying to alleviate the "burnout" players felt playing the full game multiple times, they introduce a new "burnout" by requiring the player to play multiple timelines in part, but all in close proximity to one another.
That is not an inherent fault necessarily, however, I do think in the case of VLR, where the actual emotional investment with the characters is minimal, (due to the over-the-top nature of the story, and the wild-caricatures that make up the cast,) it does become a problem. 

The other issue with this narrative style is less mechanical, and more simply about implementation. As much as I think the concept of a 4th-wall breaking, multi-narrative, cross-narrative tale involving broken causality, meta-textual warping, and meta-physical memory fragmentation is cool... I really don't think it works in VLR - for the exact same reason that I don't think the voice acting does. Namely, the tone and characters.
Because the narrative is complicated and wild in its direction and elemental factors, it would be far, far better served if layered on top of a story that is grounded enough for those elements to feel like they have some stakes. In VLR though, because its cast is made up of insane, broad caricatures, and because the player is never particularly invested in any of them on an emotional or grounded level, it becomes difficult to really invest in the oddities of the plot. The characters themselves are outlandish, so the outlandish nature of the narrative and gameplay is somewhat lost in a sea of outlandish.  

Take, for example, Life is Strange. It's narrative - involving cross-dimensional and cross-timeline hijinx - works very well... and it does so, specifically because the characters themselves feel grounded in a reality. When something changes or when something extraordinary happens to them, the weight of it has impact, because we have already gotten to know and like the characters in a "normal" setting.  
In VLR though, the characters are already outlandish, the situation they are in is already outlandish and their captor is already outlandish. We have no grounded element to act as a springboard when the narrative storytelling becomes outlandish too. 
I think the actual concepts in VLR are actually more interesting and heady than anything in Life is Strange, but since it happens to these specific characters, in this specific world, it just feels like another element of crazy in a world already fully detached from reality. Having an excellent, unusual plot mechanic in that instance, is like throwing a bucket of paint over a Jackson Pollock. Yes, you notice it, but not as much as you should, and it's often hard to tell what is added, and what was already there. The edges of "crazy" are rather blurred, when it is layer on top of an already crazy premise.

Overall, Virtue's Last Reward is a problem game for me personally, as it's another of those games I know has a strong following of fans - but I am not one of them. 
It is a game that perhaps suffers in my estimation due to my own lack of context - I am not particularly well versed in Japanese Visual Novels, and so some of the character elements I find to be obtuse may well appeal to those who have more cultural context and personal affinity for... but for me, I see VLR as something of a missed opportunity. 
It is a wildly clever and smart narrative experiment, undone by its application within a style and tone that makes it impossible to shine.

In losing that shine, what is left for me is a reasonably good set of puzzles that are fleeting, a narrative that is impenetrable, and a gameplay style that never quite approaches mainstream, yet loses the cult charm of its wacky, silly predecessor. 

The Ranking:

In ranking Virtue's Last Reward, I feel a little bad, as I know it's a game that appeals more to others than me... but science must flow from experience!

The two games I used as starting points were simple - one that I feel is a rather wasted opportunity and squanders it's potential in a similar (but more egregious) way than VLR: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - and one that is also a narrative puzzle game, but I feel has to rank higher, despite it's relative simplicity as compared to VLR - the current "best of Artifex Mundi" Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala.

Note, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is, of course, a much more lavish production than VLR, however, it is crushed under the weight of it's poor design and lack of player engagement, and while I'd say the same is true of VLR, I expected more of Jedi, and found less. 

Enigmatis 3 is a more simple, linear puzzle game (and there aren't actually any puzzles as involved or interesting as the best ones in VLR,) however, it works well, while VLR has too many problems to rank above it comfortably.

That places us in between, without a huge amount of narrative games to compare, but a fair few puzzle games, so those have to be the comparison. 

I think overall I much preferred my time with simple but effective Puzzle Adventure game Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise, so that has to rank above VLR, however, despite my personal preference for the kind of game Tetragon is, as opposed to VLR, I cannot rank it higher, as it's problems are more profound, and the game, if anything, lacks ambition. Being more ambitious and failing is more admirable than lacking ambition and still failing, so VLR moves above Tetragon.

In the end, I think I would definitely be more likely to replay VLR than I would Neverending Nightmares, and probably the same could be said of Arcade Archives: City Connection... but not Uncanny Valley.

As such, Virtue's Last Reward finds its spot!

Fascinating read, equally interesting in that I liked it so much for the same reason you didn't ?

I generally don't like games where the trophies require multiple endings or to play certain ways because i like to play the way I want and just get the ending I get. To deliberately play a certain way for a different ending has always just annoyed me somewhat. The few VNs I have played I've found it even worse as you it usually means a slight dialogue change then you end up with a different dreamy guy ?

As soon as you hit that moment in this where the characters suddenly realise they remember events from different timelines they haven't experienced and it's not just different endings but this one massive dollop of multiple timelines bleeding together ? I was totally sold. The more convoluted and silly it got the more I enjoyed it ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cleggworth said:

Fascinating read, equally interesting in that I liked it so much for the same reason you didn't ?

I generally don't like games where the trophies require multiple endings or to play certain ways because i like to play the way I want and just get the ending I get. To deliberately play a certain way for a different ending has always just annoyed me somewhat. The few VNs I have played I've found it even worse as you it usually means a slight dialogue change then you end up with a different dreamy guy 1f644.png

As soon as you hit that moment in this where the characters suddenly realise they remember events from different timelines they haven't experienced and it's not just different endings but this one massive dollop of multiple timelines bleeding together ? I was totally sold. The more convoluted and silly it got the more I enjoyed it ?

It’s funny - VLR is definitely one of those games I actually kind of enjoyed writing about even though it was mostly negative, because it forced me to actually sit down and genuinely think about why I didn’t enjoy it as much as some.

It’s in that handful of games - like GTAIV or Metal Gear - that while I didn’t like it, I don’t really recoil or question when other do, because I know I’m either in the minority, or I can recognise the good stuff in it, even if it doesn’t work for me.

Like, if someone told me VLR, or GTAIV, or Metal Gear Solid 2 was their favourite game, I would be like “cool - I like that you like that!”…

whereas if they said like LA Cops or Legends of Wrestlemania was their favourite game, I would slowly back away and call the police! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

whereas if they said like LA Cops or Legends of Wrestlemania was their favourite game, I would slowly back away and call the police! 1f602.png

LA Cops was a poor man’s Hotline Miami.

WWE Legends of Wrestlemania was developed by the numbers, though it was a real treat seeing old WWF footage (I’m calling it WWF because that’s what the company was called backed then) from the 1980s and 1990s.

Edited by Stevieboy
unnecessary comment