First MAJOR Biomutant Patch - addresses everything (narrator, trophies, combat, etc)

EcoShifter

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's great that they are a caring developer which is always lovely to see, especially considering how some of them behave nowadays. But, I dunno, the game is still kinda mediocre isn't it. It's great that they are fixing so much so quickly, but you could also argue that a game that has been in development for 3-4 years should not have shipped in this state at all. Ultimately - passion only goes so far before things rest heavily on the merits of the game that is being made and this one is a bit bland. It's effectively a basic indie game with a very long development cycle for the type of content it provides, and one that launched with bugs & issues and is set incorrectly at a AAA/new release price point.

Not going to get into the irrelevant subjectivity of the game's quality, because that's not really what this thread is about. There's very clearly another Biomutant thread far more suited for that already.

This is the newly formed developer's first game, made by 20 people, which originally started out with 2-4 people. Quite an impressive feat and more importantly fun (their priority) game considering. Time as proven with previous games doesn't always equate to more polish/good game, including games with longer development cycles and more developers onboard than this game.

If you enjoy it, I fully respect that, but I don't think the developers should necessarily be put up on a pedestal for fixing things (and it was alot of things) that shouldn't have made it past launch in the first place. Being passionate, dedicated, transparent and hard working should be a basic expectation of a developer releasing a high profile game. Not trying to rain on your positive vibes about the developers, but it's important to not elevate developers for pretty much just showing up to work and doing their basic job.

So the thing is, I didn't actually do that. A "basic" expectation that plenty of developers (including many AAA) lack, hence the acknowledgement. The transparency & communication this game's team has shown since pre-release that you're not aware of, has been exceptional. It's also important to remember (again) that not all developers do their "basic" job and/or do it as well as they should. Generally.

Based on your profile though, you don't even own/played the game. So I don't know why in certain parts of your post you feel qualified to speak on the game's quality, 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Based on your profile though, you don't even own/played the game. So I don't know why in certain parts of your post you feel qualified to speak on the game's quality, 

It's moderately adorable how you've incorrectly assumed this is PSN profile is the only thing I use to play games, then used that assumption to gatekeep my opinion out of your way. I'm sorry that you don't feel i'm qualified enough to hold an opinion over the game you regard positively just because it's at odds with yours. Or that it's an invalid opinion because you think I haven't played the game.

My opinion isn't going to hurt your game or your experience of it, if I say something here you disagree with, it won't make the game go owwie or disappear. You don't need to feel threatened to the point where you feel this reaction is necessary :) we're all friends here.

Anyway, I'll leave you to your echo chamber, peace!

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

**snip**

Some fair points raised here for sure, even though it's pretty clear that a couple have been somewhat downplayed and reframed to suit the reply. I'm not trying to be combative with you at all. Nor am I trying to offend or derail your attempts at creating a discussion. I'll leave you to it pal, have a nice life.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

Oh wow! That's a very impressive list of fixes!

I wonder how many of those were known issues before release though... ?

Glad to hear read they are listening to players' feedback and making adjustments so quickly, just hope it doesn't break anything (I've had too many of those "fixes" lately).

I'll probably buy the game sometime "soon"... need to reduce my backlog a bit (fingers crossed for the summer!)

All I care about is the trophies being fixed. 

There's so much to do in this game it can be overwhelming. Every damn thing or NPC I encounter starts a new side quest : / 

I still don't like the combat because it just feels hack and slashy and all jumbled. I can pretty much win every fight just by circling and shooting. Melee is a mess.

In a future patch I’d love a visual indicator on the map for areas you’ve completed. There have been so many areas I’ve not been able to complete due to a locked level two door or crate. 

Good patch though. Looking forward to jumping back in and seeing some quality of life improvements. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhosBroden16 said:

In a future patch I’d love a visual indicator on the map for areas you’ve completed. There have been so many areas I’ve not been able to complete due to a locked level two door or crate. 

Good patch though. Looking forward to jumping back in and seeing some quality of life improvements. 

Exactly, it would be helpful. When you move the cursor over an area on the map, you can't see its completion. The only way to check it is to go into that area...

36 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

*snip*

Downplay and reframe are interesting word choices. There's always room for improvement, but I moderately disagree and think I stuck to what you were saying, with balanced thoroughness and word count, decently well. 

Last comment on this.

I couldn't see another person making a thread acknowledging the developer's efforts and plans in updating the game post-release and continuing to do for however long that'd be. I'd imagine especially among the common and persistent cynics, as well as those persuaded by them and their reviews, that game owners and non-owners would have thought otherwise and that the developer would leave the game in its launch state or somewhere close to it. It's great to see that isn't the case, especially for someone who's followed the developer pre-release and become aware of how actively engaged they've been with the community, everywhere.

With the game itself, it's looking like another No Man's Sky and Days Gone situation—but taking effect much faster—wherein the launch is simultaneously a bit rough in some areas and still playable, enjoyable, and fun, but through additional patches the game evolves into a different and far better experience than it was at launch. It's interesting so far.

Pre ordered this but put it on hold after the issues came to light. Glad to see SO MUCH being addressed. Regardless of the "released too soon" mindset I give them credit for tackling so much in one patch. This will be the next SP game I tackle on my list after AC Valhalla. Clap.

I always thought the issues with the game were blown way out of proportion. It's unpolished and a bit buggy, and some of the ideas (ie, narrator) didn't quite hit home, but the open world scrounging, crafting, exploration, and (on hard) combat are all phenomenal, I think.

Seeing them take player feedback and release a patch that fixes so many of its major issues and nitpicks, so soon after launch, just accelerates the game higher for me. I'm stoked to see all of the improvements this patch brings for myself.

To clarify, I'm playing it on XBox right now, as my wife is using our PS5. Will be buying on PS5 after I get full Gamerscore, currently 7 achievements away.

Edited by Rayze_Darr
Clarification
  • Like 1

The patch is LIVE for all consoles, including PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5.

The "Old World Gadgets" trophy has evidently been fixed.

Players on PlayStation 5 should also notice some considerable update to resolution at least. And there's still more info/updates to come in regards to a native PlayStation 5 version.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2

It’s great to see the devs care enough about the game to release major fixes like this. In a world where some devs do the bare minimum (See Balan Wonderworld’s patch to prevent some people having seizures during the last boss fight-and that’s a AAA game with, I’d assume, a large team), it’s always nice to see indie devs listen to players’ feedback and improve the game. 

Hopefully this will be another No Man’s Sky situation and the game will eventually be what most people hoped for. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's great that they are a caring developer which is always lovely to see, especially considering how some of them behave nowadays. But, I dunno, the game is still kinda mediocre isn't it. It's great that they are fixing so much so quickly, but you could also argue that a game that has been in development for 3-4 years should not have shipped in this state at all. Ultimately - passion only goes so far before things rest heavily on the merits of the game that is being made and this one is a bit bland. It's effectively a basic indie game with a very long development cycle for the type of content it provides, and one that launched with bugs & issues and is set incorrectly at a AAA/new release price point.

While I agree it could have been priced cheaper I still think the game is in a fine state considering only having 20 people work on it for 3-4 years.  Look at big studios like Bethesda who work on games for the same amount of time but have 5x the man power and those games have more bugs than any other AAA games out there.  

What I'm saying is if a studio has 100 people working on a game for 3-4 years that is the same as if a small studio with 20 people would have to work on the game for 20 years just to get the same amount of man hours 

18 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

(Probably warrant its own topic but-) Today another new patch (2.03) has been deployed that addresses stability issues on PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5 from P.2.02.

(@Bykovsky7)

Yes, I can confirm that the frame rate has been fixed, now the picture is as smooth as it was in 2.01. There is no juddering.

From my experience the newest patch just worsened the performance on PS5. It is 60fps but while I got a split second freezes on the previous patches veeery occasionally now it is just common. Literally every couple of minutes mostly while moving the camera. And which is worse during combat as well, which cost me life couple of times on extreme.
I hope the full PS5 code will be more stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Will they fix the horrendous "good/evil" design, where if you're good you gotta fight a giant monster to stop it from eating a tree, and if you're bad you also gotta fight it so it continues to eat the tree?

Or what about just letting the characters talk in an understandable language instead of the narrator having to repeat after they speak their annoying made-up language?

The camera mess whenever you talk to a NPC?

Or the vast amount of time wasted on running back and forth just to upgrade your character?