You’re only allowed to play one genre for the rest of your gaming life…

DrBloodmoney

I did think RPGs for the same reason most others, there's loads still that I need to play and the length of them would keep me tied down forever but they drain so much mental energy through the length, story and grindy trophies that I would be drained so I'd have to say Pokémon and them kinds of games. I was glued to my GameBoy growing up playing it and there is so many now and they have so much replayability.    

• 3 weeks later...

Roguelikes due to the replayability or Metroidvanias since they are always fun and kinda got the most different gameplay in a genre so i won't get burned out so fast.

While i see going for rpgs makes sense (even though it feels like cheating just saying rpg and got like arpg, jrpgs etc. mixed in) i kinda feel i would get burned out playing only jrpgs 

Dark Souls 1 - Prepare to die edition.

The world is perfect, the NPC's are perfect, the bosses are perfect and they are the most lore friendly in any of the souls games. 

I have played DS1 since it's inception, I never get bored. 

Reminds me of a time before games were stupid movies. Dark Souls immerses you in it's world, not in clichés, tropes or topical garbage. Just an excellent fantasy world. 

• Like 1

Pretty torn between these two genres

Platformers:
I love a good platformer and a lot of the 2D ones are hard so should take years of playing to get through them all anyway XD

Rhythm:
I love my music games because of the flows from the inputs. My reasoning for choosing this genre is that a lot of it is built around getting high scores by achieving perfection so there will always be something to strive for. I think this genre would be a satisfying one is all. 

Platformers. There's something timeless about them and so much variety. I also love that you can jump in to play in small spurts of time or long sessions. So many games are focused on reality or take on dark themes whereas platformers have always felt like the purest type of escapism to me in gaming.

• 1 month later...

I don't consider open-world a genre.

There is at least one open-world racing game, there are open-world RPGs, there are open-world action games, open-world adventure, I even think some open-world simulation games.

Since I'm not picking that, I'll go RPG.

There are a lot of classifications to choose from

• Turn-based
  • Real-time
  • Japanese
  • USA or European origin (typical lumped into a Western RPG status)
  • Old-school
  • New-school
  • Heavy on story and cutscenes
  • Simpler story and cutscenes
  • Player characters

• 2 weeks later...