Locked Forum Posts

I recently posted a topic on what your most embarrassing platinum was and a mod locked it. He posted a link to an identical forum post from almost 7 years ago. Can you not create a topic that's already been done even if it's like, 10 years old? Plenty of new games have come out since 2014 with easy and embarrassing plats. 

6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

To keep the forums clean and the database less cluttered, duplicate threads will and should be condensed into a single thread (usually the oldest).

The last post was from 2016 though. Nobody's gonna go back that far and comment on something like that unless someone brings up the topic again. 

10 minutes ago, Helyx said:

To keep the forums clean and the database less cluttered, duplicate threads will and should be condensed into a single thread (usually the oldest).

Pretty much this^ 

Age of the OP is irrelevant and having a bunch of duped threads makes the forums cluttered and harder to navigate. It's 100% okay to necro these threads and post in threads like these multiple times if your response changes over time.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

It’s pretty clearly explained in the forum rules:

No duplicate threads. If there is already a thread of the same (or close enough) topic, post in there. Don’t start a new thread. Is doesn’t matter how old it is, we don’t care about necroing threads here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It’s pretty clearly explained in the forum rules:

Ok got it. In most forums necroing threads is highly frowned upon and can actually lead to a ban. This is why Reddit archives threads after 6 months. 

Edited by MrTacos98
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MrTacos98 said:

Nobody's gonna go back that far and comment on something like that unless someone brings up the topic again. 

That was your time to shine by resurrecting a thread with a relevant post. I don't agree with necro-posting just to say "me too fam", but if you have something on topic and worth mentioning, then go ahead and post in the old thread that's been established.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I don't know, I definitely agree that multiple threads on the same thing don't need to be created. However, when the last post on a thread is years old, I don't see the problem. 

This site has this obsession with "decluttering" but honestly, people don't go back more than the first two pages on any given forum, so who cares.

Bingo ^

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

people don't go back more than the first two pages on any given forum, so who cares.

Exactly, if people don’t go go back and read anything anyway, then just pop open an existing thread, don’t read any posts and just post. Who cares? Business as usual for those people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevieboy said:

To me it feels like I'm stating the obvious here, but if a mod stops you from doing something then you can pretty much guarantee it's because you're not supposed to be doing it.

It's hard to honestly gauge that when my posts disappear, I get no PMs from the mods telling me to stop, and I get no warning points. 

• Like 2

Not too long ago I basically 'bumped' a topic in Forum Games because I wanted people to comment on it. My comment was removed because 'bumping' is not allowed according to the forum rules. I said something along the lines of 'bumping this topic to front page', on a sub-forum where posts don't even count towards your total number of posts.

This contradicts the notion that we are supposed to continue with existing threads. As someone else stated, most people aren't going to go beyond the first two pages in any sub-forum. I have brought back threads with the latest posts dating back to 2019 and 2020, because I wanted them to get new activity.

I'm just a little confused.

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Not too long ago I basically 'bumped' a topic in Forum Games because I wanted people to comment on it. My comment was removed because 'bumping' is not allowed according to the forum rules. I said something along the lines of 'bumping this topic to front page', on a sub-forum where posts don't even count towards your total number of posts.

This contradicts the notion that we are supposed to continue with existing threads. As someone else stated, most people aren't going to go beyond the first two pages in any sub-forum. I have brought back threads with the latest posts dating back to 2019 and 2020, because I wanted them to get new activity.

I'm just a little confused.

Bumping with only a message about bumping is off topic. Just post on topic if you want a thread to show in recent threads. 

2 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I don't know, I definitely agree that multiple threads on the same thing don't need to be created. However, when the last post on a thread is years old, I don't see the problem. 

This site has this obsession with "decluttering" but honestly, people don't go back more than the first two pages on any given forum, so who cares.

Becsuse if you can't be bothered to read what people already wrote on the subject why should people bother repeating it.

Like the amount of times people ask for beginner help in demons souls (or any souls games) or other similar game questions. Just read the old posts.

Like just today someone asked a question about Cat Call and some how missed the 5 or 6 threads about it.

42 minutes ago, AN0n1m8 said:

This site has his own rules and has nothing to do with other forums. So, any other experience will not be taken care of in this situations i think.

Yes most sites have their own rules...because not all sites are owned by the same person.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

It's hard to honestly gauge that when my posts disappear, I get no PMs from the mods telling me to stop, and I get no warning points. 

Sometimes, it's something minor that doesn't merit a PM or warning point. Usually, if it's commenting on something off topic or something derailing a topic it's removed even if the post itself was okay (to prevent further derailing).

If you are ever curious though on why something is removed, you can PM a mod and ask. We don't have time to PM every single person about every single post that's taken down. Doing so civilly can often lead to some fruitful discussion and help you understand our thought processes behind it. Just something to keep in mind next time.

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Sometimes, it's something minor that doesn't merit a PM or warning point. Usually, if it's commenting on something off topic or something derailing a topic it's removed even if the post itself was okay (to prevent further derailing).

If you are ever curious though on why something is removed, you can PM a mod and ask. We don't have time to PM every single person about every single post that's taken down. Doing so civilly can often lead to some fruitful discussion and help you understand our thought processes behind it. Just something to keep in mind next time.

Big Bear — Doin Thangs Album Review | by ADAMN. | Medium

• Like 1