Master Difficulty = Huge spike

poisonblood

On 4-10-2021 at 6:23 AM, IKARUS-M1 said:

Agreed with this, also just earned the Platinum and I'd probably say it's a 5 or 6 out of 10 if you are prepared and go into it with some good strategies for bosses. I thought it was just the right amount of challenge and had a pretty fun time adjusting to the bosses' attacks knowing how much damage they dealt. Few things that helped me:

• I bought upgrades in this order: rot hammer first, then rot arrow, then enter the fray, then parry courage. Past that I beefed up my shield and got 6 arrows in my quiver. All meditation spots are a must.
  • I had just come off my collectibles playthrough so I remembered where most things were; I had 65 Rot before the Woodsmith fight so I had more actions from that point on in the game. You probably don't need Level 4 Rot (3 might do) but I had it just in case.
  • Parrying is (of course) very useful but I had to learn not to get greedy with my strikes; you can afford a few hits but try not to waste your courage on flowers if you can help it (I still used them to heal).
  • For the final boss, the final phase is extremely annoying but you can stop the boss from doing that busted meteor attack. Run to the left as soon as it starts and parry one of the ads to get one courage and knock the spear off the boss's back before he can do it. Make sure you have enough courage to knock the next two off or he'll do it again.

Good luck if you're going for it! ?

After the latest patch it looks like it's even harder.( still broken) I'm now against the Shrine Gardian and if i do the Rot hammer animation, the little one's hit me or kill me in mine animation. This also in the evase/rolling animation.

• Like 1

Just finished it as well. 7/10 from me too. It is very doable though. Boss fights reminded me a little bit of Bloodborn (the only souls like game I played (yet)) 

I found Taro boss (with lantern) one of the most difficult part and, of course, last boss between phase 1 and 2. I figured out a few tricks though, specifically for these two situations, maybe it will help someone.

- Taro boss, he has a flower, so you can send Rot on him, which will distract and then stun him. If you have upgrade that lets you start a fight with 1 rot circle active, you can send rot on him as soon as the fight starts, but do not destroy the flower. Stay close to the boss and wait until he is stunned, then start hitting him (ideally with perfect hit skill). This stun is long enough to generate another rot circle. So after he starts running again, send your rot again, then wait -> start hitting -> generate another circle -> repeat until he is finished. It is a very safe method, you only need to dodge or use shield in between phases.

- Last Boss, final fight before phase two with mini-boss. Destroy flying mobs in slow motion first and then two other dudes. After that, if you are like me and cannot parry consistently, Quickdraw Bomb and Multi Bomb upgrades are your friends. Simply throw bombs at mini boss and shoot them before they detonate. It will stagger the mob and do decent damage. With this tactic you can keep long distance. If he charges at you use dash strike to avoid or to stagger. Using this method I managed to get to second phase with full health. For final phase, as already suggested, try to parry at the beginning and pull out a sword. It will make things a bit easier and shorter.         

Edited by WildeNick
  • Like 3

Just managed to platinum this today, looks like it still needs to update on here, but I can't stress this enough for anyone going for it - the shield dash ability literally makes the later bosses a breeze... use this more than actually trying to parry and just stay on them, it works really well.

• Like 4

Just got the Plat yesterday (1.12) - I did Expert for my first run and found Master much easier to get through... I think mainly because I was used to the parry system and knew what upgrades to get first. I did end up following a few guides for bosses (to learn how to avoid certain attacks) and corrupt toshi took a while but all in all a nice rewarding experience

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finished it last night and I agree it is difficult but mostly cause of cheapness like insane tracking to the point where enemies will teleport to you in 1 frame or teleport you to them in 1 frame when doing a grab attack. Also, barely any i-frames when dodging and no i-frames when doing rot powers. It's best to treat the bosses like puzzles, and all you have to do is find the right combination of actions to beat them. I'll give some of my thoughts and some tips which might hopefully help someone.

-Go for all health upgrades obviously.

-Go for all rot up to rot level 4. I collected all rot for level 5 to be safe, but never used the 5th slot.

-Go for most of the flower shrines as you'll need the upgrades. You might not use all the upgrades but they are worth having just in case.

-Don't bother parrying as the timing is way too slim and it isn't worth taking the hit if you fail. Dodge dodge dodge.

-The hardest boss for me was the Stone Guardian in the second main area. Mainly because of the infinitely spawning little guys. For me it was just too hard to keep track of everything going on.

-The hardest main boss is Taro. Easily. Purely cause you have next to no abilities and he can be really aggressive. Make sure to have rot level 2, all meditations and the rot hammer ability for this.

-Rot hammer is really the only rot ability you need tbh. Although rot arrow is really helpful for the second Kappa fight.

-The game is much more forgiving once you fight Adira. She's actually quite easy as her attacks are really easy to dodge.

-Once you have the dash ability. Abuse it like fuck. It can interrupt all attacks and is really useful as long as you manage the stamina bar.

-The three relic bosses in the third area are total pushovers. Just take your time with the Hunter as she can be annoying.

-Toshi is tough cause his attacks are super hard to dodge but if you time it right you can interrupt every attack he does with the dash ability and you might even parry him when doing this.

-For the rot god, If he grabs you in the fist phase, restart checkpoint. That grab is pure bullshit and it isn't worth taking the hit for it. Try to get to the enemy gauntlet with full health. When you get to the bit with the wood knight take out all other enemies first and then kill him by using only the dash ability. Doing this meant I could get through it without taking a hit as if I stayed close to him and attacked I'd always get hit at some point by one of his bullshit attacks. If you dash, roll away, repeat and keep your distance you only have to dodge his charge and poke attack or his frisbee attack which are both easy to dodge. After that it's pretty easy as you get your rot back and can actually heal if you need to.

I loved this game and ultimately found Master difficulty very rewarding. Although if I ever play through this game again, it'll be on Story difficulty ?

• Like 4

Yeah. I completed Master difficulty yesterday. First playthrough on normal and master difficulty right after. Pretty big step up in difficulty. I needed some YouTube video's for some boss strategies. I'm glad it's over. Hardest part done ✅ Only collectibles left ??

Edited by Colossi_Argus
  • Like 2

On 22/09/2021 at 3:02 AM, Sendai-Horatio said:

Is it harder than Horizon zero dawn's Ultra hard? Does running past everything work?

Yes it is way harder than HZD, at least in HZD you had New Game + and could kill two birds with one stone and do Ultra Hard in that mode to get both trophies, and play that mode with Aloy fully upgraded with her Shield Armour.  With Kena you have to start all over with no upgrades and have to acquire them all over again and every encounter with enemies is 3 fold hard, every boss and encounter with enemies [sometimes about 7 or so pummelling Kena from all sides like at the God Tree Shrine for example ] is going to kill you about 40 times before you are successful in progressing, even mini ones.  As @RuancarloSilva points out the parry [ not that I have ever been good at that mechanic ] is hit and miss and you try to dodge and the enemy hits you anyway.  A beautiful game kind of ruined by this BS.

• Like 1

I agree that the increase in difficulty is quite jarring. My first playthrough was on hard, and the game was quite easy. The enemies on Master have too much health. For example the moth enemies were a one shot kill even on hard, yet on Master they took multiple shots; they do still go down in one hit with the bomb. With that being said Master is still very doable, and most of the enemies can be "cheesed".

I recommend Rot Hammer, Rot Courage, and all staff upgrades. I found the staff upgrades to be "necessary" as they allow you to interrupt enemy attacks. You can simply spam the heavy attacks (charged, sprinting, or jumping) and interrupt enemies especially bosses. This technique makes the boss encounters less annoying as they can be cheesed. Quite a few people mention that Taro is difficult due to lack of unlocked abilities, but his attacks can be easily stopped by the heavy attacks. The same is true with Toshi. Adira was the only boss where I could not consistently interrupt her attacks due to her speed.

Here is a video of my Master Playthrough showing how easy Toshi can be by spamming heavy attacks. He does one attack that can not be interrupted. It is the short range flame sweep. The Rot Hammer could not stop that attack either, nor could the dash. It did take me a few tries and I ended up getting lucky on this one as there have been numerous times when the dash wouldn't trigger. His multiple consecutive attack is what ended up killing me on all my unsuccessful tries. Some bosses can be cornered and that causes them to not be aggressive.

On 10/23/2021 at 0:30 AM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I think I’m gonna wait till they add NG+. It’s absolutely ridiculous this wasn’t available at launch 1f644.png

This is literally their first ever video game, it will eventually come out on a patch I am sure, but they did a hell of a job for their first game. If what I read was correct they did commercials exclusively before this.

• Like 2

If I was rating this trophy it gets a light 6 I think, not too bad honestly.  I needed to check a guide for Corrupted Toshi on master.  What a cool boss though.  Some awesome moves on most of the bosses, actually.  I found a couple of the fights were over so quickly on normal play-through there were a couple of things I never even saw until master play-through.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, kdogg_gamer_ said:

This is literally their first ever video game, it will eventually come out on a patch I am sure, but they did a hell of a job for their first game. If what I read was correct they did commercials exclusively before this.

I'm not docking the game, the game is fantastic and I loved it. It's my second favorite game of 2021 after Guardians, I'm just tired of these games not having NG+ at launch because I end up moving on and forgetting about the game by the time they add it several months later. 

• Like 1

just finished the game in master, along with the plat.

Well, i have to agree: all boss fights are though. But once you know how to interrupt each boss, it's getting easier. Corrupted toshi gave me a headache, but the corrupted rot god was a cake walk. Beat it on the 4th try.

phase 1 and 2 are really easy, just dash when the boss attacks you.

There are 2 parts that are a bit difficult,

1) ennemies between P1 and P2:

- launch a bomb on the flying ennemies and the ennemies that send "pink exploding rocks"

- use charged arrows for other ennemies

for the wood knight, you can easily dodge his attack by a simple double jump, it's wayyyyyyy easier to time correctly than dodge/parry. Combine that with bombs and dash run, it should be almost perfect.

2) phase 3. In that phase, ground ennemies can be one-shot with a charged arrow, so just use double jump and aim with the arrow - the slowmo make it easy. For the flying ennemies, again, send them a bomb. They will be useless after that.

On 19/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, leprekon666 said:

I been struggling with Stone Guardian for 3 days.  Most have gotten down to was halfway but most times I die pretty fast. Is there someone that can SharePlay to help me beat this pos boss

Use the bomb, he hates them. Then dodge and use the bomb again. His not so difficult, on normal or master. Just take your time, there is no chrono.

On 2021-12-23 at 11:15 AM, primalentir said:

Use the bomb, he hates them. Then dodge and use the bomb again. His not so difficult, on normal or master. Just take your time, there is no chrono.

Yea I finally got it the other day without having to get extra health but now I’m stuck at the Corrupt Woodsmith mostly on second phase.  This game loves to auto lock even though I switched that button with the interact making things easier to control.  

On 25/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, leprekon666 said:

Yea I finally got it the other day without having to get extra health but now I’m stuck at the Corrupt Woodsmith mostly on second phase.  This game loves to auto lock even though I switched that button with the interact making things easier to control.  

I beat her here in Master difficulty. It took me about 10/15 times turn learn her partern and don't die.

It's about dodge at the end, it's a bit longer and you do the same thing over and over, do not jump so you can dodge her. Go right or left.

I already beat the Mask Maker since (at my 3rd try).