Is Sorcery Saga Any Good?

Ive played this game for about 7 hours and I am enjoying. It is a straight up dungeon crawler. The story isn't really anything serious, for instance the main plot of the story so far is to find the magical curry ingredients and make the legendary magic curry to help save a restaurant. The voices are Japanese only so you will be reading the whole game.

As for gameplay this isnt really your typical rpg gameplay. It is a turn based battle system but it is also very fast paced. The only game I can even think of that has a very similar battle system to this game is the Chocobo Dungeon games but Im not sure how many people have actually played those games.

When you start a dungeon you always start at level 1 and if you die at any point in the dungeon you will be kicked from the dungeon and you will have to start the dungeon all over. Also you will lose all items and money you have on you when you die.

You can leave a dungeon at any time and take items and money back to your room to store them so you wont lose them but if you leave you will have to restart the dungeon and will start back at lv 1 doesn't matter what level you were before leaving the dungeon.

Now Ill admit my opinion on this game can be a bit biased because the gameplay is very similar to the Chocobo Dungeon games and I was a big fan of those games. As I said before it isn't your typical rpg battle system so it isn't for everyone.

Well I hope this info helps you guys

Edited by man_with_wdjat
  • Like 3

Thanks for replying!  Based on your description I'm still intrigued by the game and will probably pick it up to weather out the January drought of new releases.  

And everybody, if you like RPGs, be on the lookout for Conception 2 and Demon Gaze for the Vita in April.  Both look promising. 

Thanks for replying!  Based on your description I'm still intrigued by the game and will probably pick it up to weather out the January drought of new releases.  

And everybody, if you like RPGs, be on the lookout for Conception 2 and Demon Gaze for the Vita in April.  Both look promising. 

I haven't heard of either of those. Thanks for the info,Ill have to check this out. Im always up for some new rpgs on the vita.

• 2 weeks later...

I would wager that it is grindy since the trophy for beating 10,000 monsters is 1.68% rare.  I would also wager it is difficult, or more difficult than normal RPGs, since it is a roguelike game and your skill would depend on your equipment, which you would lose if you died.

Edited by Bucknerd

This game is not really difficult (especially if you are PS+ as you can save during a dungeon, so it saves you a lot of time if you die !). Anyway, I found the firsts dungeons hard because you can die very fastly. But when you have a good weapon and shield, the game is really easy, including bosses.

Now concerning the platinum, yes, this is very grindy ! For example, you have to get all the weapons and shields. You have 30 swords, 30 staves and 30 shields. Each of this item have 4 levels and you win a level by defeating foes. The other problem is a lot of items appears randomly so it can takes a lot of time to find all of them (more than 700 !).

Anyway, I find this game very attractive and I can't stop to play it ! (sorry for my broken english !).

Edited by Morghal
  • Like 1

played this last night... Somehow disappointed that Aksys didn't even put time and effort to dub the voices, therefore I have to rely on reading texts... My feedback so far are:

- funny game.. love it's humor, esp some of Items' Descriptions...

- reminds me of Chocobo Dungeon... even the square button function... they're the same.. somehow think it's CD's clone...

- Grindy... just saw the Book of Item list and it's 37 pages with at least 20 items per page...

- Requires Luck... heck... the item drops and chests are soooo random...

- I hate it when you will be back to level 1 when you start a dungeon >_<

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am rather enjoying it so far. It is rather easy overall but you still have to be careful since if you die you lose everything you're carrying except your equipped items if Kuu is alive. If Kuu dies first before you do then you lose your equipped items too. I only got it now because I wanted something to play on my Vita while I'm working on Ni No Kuni for my first plat but this game is definitely going to be my 2nd plat.

• 1 month later...

Reminds me of Chocobo's Dungeon... the game's a bit grindfest because there's an [item book] but the story is funny.

it is difficult at first but when you play for around... an hour or so?... you'll get the hang of it

Don't worry about letting Kuu die before going to the next level because you can feed any equips to him. :3

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about picking it up myself, from the description, I think I'll hold out until the price goes down, then, I'll think about it.

Yeah, me too! I've been waiting months for it to go down on Amazon Uk to £20 or get it for a nice deal on Ebay. 

• 9 months later...

When I read the title, I was hoping this game would be based on the Sorcery! mini-book series of Fighting Fantasy books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorcery!

I've been questioning if I should do a command line version of the books. Would be very easy to do, but would take time to import the books. I was thinking I would make the program so that it allows you to make your own stories/games etc too.

When I read the title, I was hoping this game would be based on the Sorcery! mini-book series of Fighting Fantasy books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorcery!

I've been questioning if I should do a command line version of the books. Would be very easy to do, but would take time to import the books. I was thinking I would make the program so that it allows you to make your own stories/games etc too.

Nope, it's just moe SRPG :P

• 9 months later...

This game sounds similar to The Guided Fate Paradox (which I loved but never platinum'd) since it has a similar dungeon system and like someone said this game is roguelike which is what The Guided Fate Paradox is so I'm wondering if this would be worth the money since it's much cheaper now as it's $17.99 used at GameStop and I have $20 to spend from my birthday and no Steam or PS4 titles within that price range interest me so I thought to look into PS Vita titles since I still don't have many games for it.

So should I bother or might there be something better within $20 on Vita?

Edit: I can get it for $14.99 digital which would be better because I'd have to go out of my way to get a used copy from GameStop.

Edited by Shaun

This game sounds similar to The Guided Fate Paradox (which I loved but never platinum'd) since it has a similar dungeon system and like someone said this game is roguelike which is what The Guided Fate Paradox is so I'm wondering if this would be worth the money since it's much cheaper now as it's $17.99 used at GameStop and I have $20 to spend from my birthday and no Steam or PS4 titles within that price range interest me so I thought to look into PS Vita titles since I still don't have many games for it.

So should I bother or might there be something better within $20 on Vita?

Edit: I can get it for $14.99 digital which would be better because I'd have to go out of my way to get a used copy from GameStop.

Definitely go for physical copy. I got it digital since it was in huge sale but I would definitely get a physical copy if I had a chance.