Make Reading -New Forum Members Please Read- Compulsory

Just a suggestion, can we make it so that the new forum members topic comes up before you can do anything as a forum member and a small questionnaire where you have to get 100% before you can post based on content inside the new forum members topic?

Or at least put the topic somewhere visable so we don't have new people coming and placing topics that ask for help in games where they should use "gaming sessions" which is clearly pointed out in the "New forum Members Please Read" Topic.

I'm not annoyed by them or anything but its a little embarrassing when you need to be told what to do, and then linked to a new members guide which is hidden almost right at the bottom of the forum list

Won't happen. Like Mem said, most people come here for help for one game with no real intention on being part of the community so even if they were forced to read that I doubt it would change much. 

This thread did remind me that I need to go back and update the topic though, I've been meaning to add to it for a while now... Maybe later, too much beer to drink now.

Parker

• Like 1

Won't happen. Like Mem said, most people come here for help for one game with no real intention on being part of the community so even if they were forced to read that I doubt it would change much. 

This thread did remind me that I need to go back and update the topic though, I've been meaning to add to it for a while now... Maybe later, too much beer to drink now.

Parker

So then can we had a thread limiter where new members can't make threads until they have at least 15 posts  or been here 2 days to one week? 

Edited by rhyperiorx

I don't see how that would help ? it would just promote spam

Not really, if a person wants to make a random thread for help I don't think they would wait 2 days to 1 week for a reply and probably go elsewhere. Also it only takes a quick minute to look at someone's post count to see if they are just spamming to make a thread but this all depends on chance and the person's intelligence.

Edited by rhyperiorx

Not really, if a person wants to make a random thread for help I don't think they would wait 2 days to 1 week for a reply and probably go elsewhere. Also it only takes a quick minute to look at someone's post count to see if they are just spamming to make a thread but this all depends on chance and the person's intelligence.

but then they wouldn't get the help they may actually need from the community - it isn't always 'need x, y, z trophy' etc

at the end of the day, the pointless posts get pushed down the list pretty quickly

Just a suggestion, can we make it so that the new forum members topic comes up before you can do anything as a forum member and a small questionnaire where you have to get 100% before you can post based on content inside the new forum members topic?

Or at least put the topic somewhere visable so we don't have new people coming and placing topics that ask for help in games where they should use "gaming sessions" which is clearly pointed out in the "New forum Members Please Read" Topic.

I'm not annoyed by them or anything but its a little embarrassing when you need to be told what to do, and then linked to a new members guide which is hidden almost right at the bottom of the forum list

I would like to point out that there is already a forum for new members, created by Parker about five months ago...

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/8202-new-forum-members-please-read/?hl=+please%20+read

However, it is buried in the off topic section, which is probably hard to find for new members.

but then they wouldn't get the help they may actually need from the community - it isn't always 'need x, y, z trophy' etc

at the end of the day, the pointless posts get pushed down the list pretty quickly

As I said it all depends on chance and the person's intelligence. I hope new members can learn how to adapt to new forums across the internet but sometimes, things don't go so well. 

I think it should definitely be linked towards new members whenever they read the terms of service or go to sign up to the site.  I think a questionnaire is a bit too much as I don't like sites that make you do that.. its not required and is annoying and is seen a bit like a privacy invasion.  Like Parker has already explained though, there will be some people just so eager to sign up and get their question out there that it will go ignored even being linked as the new impatient member won't want to be bothered reading it.

And take pleasure from older members too patronize new people. NEVER!

Sorry, I meant quiz on the content in the topic.

Yea but that will still be annoying to those new members who are just impatient, they'll end up going to another trophy site then which doesn't have all this extra hassle.  Memnoch just said about reporting.. that would help too if people actually did start using that hidden function.. as you can see.. report on our posts is near enough the same color as the background.. it can go unnoticed very easily.

Parker's thread would be better placed on the main forum page at the top. My suggestion would be between the "Announcements" and "Feedback, Suggestions & Bugs" threads, or maybe above the "Announcements" so it's the first one you should see.

This is the thread I mean, just in case anyone was wondering: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/8202-new-forum-members-please-read/

• Like 1

What I think Mem was saying it is better to be helpful and show new members where they should be posting, but since people take offense to that then we can stop helping new members and just report them.

I remember when I first started posting on .com I used to take offense when people directed me to the right forums but then I realized that it was just established users showing me how the site works and in the long run it helped out a lot.

hmmm... I remember I was a member of a gaming forum years ago(forgot the site) that once you are about to do anything in a forum(if it is your first time), you must go first to the thread regarding policies and regulations in the forum page...

is it possible to do the same also here? it is like what mr. teddie says but without the survey...

Parker's thread would be better placed on the main forum page at the top. My suggestion would be between the "Announcements" and "Feedback, Suggestions & Bugs" threads, or maybe above the "Announcements" so it's the first one you should see.

This is the thread I mean, just in case anyone was wondering: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/822-new-forum-members-please-read/

this is a good idea but somehow in doubt if it will work... people might not notice it or worse.. ignore it...

Me for example go directly in the vita forum page the first day being registered here and didn't even introduced myself... just found out regarding Parker's thead days later...

The crazy thing is, for all the dupe threads we have, less that 1% of the community actually helps out by reporting them.  The majority of people, jump into said thread with both feet, usually saying "Hurrr durr... you posted dis alreadys!"

Yes, I know I'm a sarcastic ♥ when I close a lot of these threads, but I usually point out where they should go before locking it up.

Next time just think, "What would Uncle AF want me to do?"

...Just so you have a clue, it isn't troll the fuck out of the OP.

As for Parkers thread, I'd like that etched into your fucking brain when you sign up.

Uncle AF would want me to be a sarcastic ♥, point out where they should go, and then report the thread. Thanks for the PSA :P