What's your favourite location in any game?

Skullahh

This can be a level or even a small area of a larger map. And you can list multiple locations if you like 

My personal favourites would have to be:

- Toluca Lake from Silent Hill 2

- Dr. Earnhardt's Mansion from Far Cry 3

- Lakeside Resort from The Last of Us

- The Village from Resident Evil 4

- Las Venturas from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Edited by Skullahh

-The Citadel in Mass Effect. I also liked Illium as well.

-Novigrad in The Witcher 3

-Stilwater and Steelport in Saints Row 2 and 3

-A lot of the areas in Just Cause 3 and 4, especially the towns that are close to plains or wheat fields.

-Manaan in KOTOR, and the Jedi Temple ruins in KOTOR II.

-Lastly Kamurocho and Sotenbori from Yakuza since I've basically become attached to those places after playing them so long.

• Like 3

A few off the top of my head:

The Clockwork Mansion from Dishonoured 2

Sapienza, Bangkok, Chongqing and Berlin from Hitman Trilogy

Timbre Hearth from Outer Wilds

Haven from Life is Strange: True Colours and Arcadia Bay from Life is Strange

The Island from The Witness

The Hall of Heroes from Bioshock Infinite

Tranquility Lane from Fallout 3

Boyd Cooper’s Mind in Psychonauts 

Crown of The Old Iron King locations from the Dark Souls II DLC

Neo-Paris from Remember Me

Constantinople from Assassin’s Creed Revelations

Brackenridge Rise from Trine 2 DLC

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

For some reason I loved the whole of the first half of dmc1 when the castle was not changed or messed with at all it gave a very strong something is watching you feeling and the music helped with it too.

Another that was a fav to me was the prison escape level in conflict Vietnam, for some reason I like levels that have it where your items are gone and you have to get more after having been taken prisoner.

All the worlds of the last few worlds/ levels of little big planet 1 was fun but hard as hell but still fun to see.

Loved a lot of Godhands levels other than the starting part of the game.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haven from Life is Strange: True Colours and Arcadia Bay from Life is Strange

I completely forgot about Arcadia Bay. Yes that would also be one of my favourite locales It reminds of a town my grandparents lived and that I go to from time to time

Edited by Skullahh
  • Like 1

I had to include screenshots, sorry.

Obani Gemini (Ratchet & Clank 3) - the most memorable level from the R&C series. Cool design, great music. Super Mario Galaxy wishes it had come up with the spherical levels first ?.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mother Base (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain) - a cool place to chill with your bois between missions.

pic_motherbase_xbox_360_thumb.jpg

The city from Mirror's Edge - bright, clean, full of beautiful highrises, amazing internal design too. You wouldn't even think it's a dystopia.

STpXFmI.png

vyiBmmA.png

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Slava said:

The city from Mirror's Edge - bright, clean, full of beautiful highrises, amazing internal design too. You wouldn't even think it's a dystopia.

Brilliant shout on this one BTW - I totally should have remembered to include that on my list! ?

That city was just the business, so cool and colourful, and so smart in the use of colour to denote accessibility, without it feeling out of place or antithetical to the overall design!

• Like 2

On 14/12/2021 at 2:09 AM, Slava said:

STpXFmI.png

vyiBmmA.png

Mirror's Edge is a very interesting choice. I always found the locale to be quite nauseating. With the sterile interiors and bland white buildings. Its almost monotone with its design. Definitely succeeds in being memorable though

• Like 1

Gran Pulse in Final Fantasy XIII.

Might be a controversial one given how many people criticise this game, but Gran Pulse took my breath away the first time I saw it and to this day I still adore it. I often listen to the music that plays while in the Archylte Steppe and Oerba.

Edited by Vrisnem
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vrisnem said:

Gran Pulse in Final Fantasy XIII.

Might be a controversial one given how many people criticise this game, but Gran Pulse took my breath away the first time I saw it and to this day I still adore it. I often listen to the music that plays while in the Archylte Steppe and Oerba.

I think that’s a great shout, actually!

There are some things folks take issue with in FFXIII (some rightly, some wrongly IMO) - but I think someone would have a tough time arguing that Gran Pulse wasn’t beautiful to look at, imaginatively designed, and stunning to see!

I'm somewhat surprised that no-one has mentioned it yet, but Shadow Moses Island from the Metal Gear Solid series:

moses.jpg

In MGS1, the Heliport stage is where it really began for us, and when you return to it in MGS4, and The Best Is Yet To Come starts playing as the flashbacks and voiceovers begin.... it brings a tear to the eye.  Possibly PS3's finest moment for me.

Red Dead Redemption - pretty much the entire Frontier.  Simply riding around on your horse and admiring the beautiful landscape - especially at sunrise or sunset - never gets old.

Dunwall City in Dishonored - a rat-infested steampunk city that I really need to revisit soon.

The Metroplex level from Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - navigating your way through a level that was constantly twisting and turning, changing your path at every 2nd corner, only to then become "more than meets the eye" was jaw-dropping the first time I played it.

The Bank level from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

The Train chapter(s) from Uncharted 2.

• Like 4

On 21/12/2021 at 4:44 AM, StewartBros said:

In MGS1, the Heliport stage is where it really began for us, and when you return to it in MGS4, and The Best Is Yet To Come starts playing as the flashbacks and voiceovers begin.... it brings a tear to the eye.  Possibly PS3's finest moment for me.

Red Dead Redemption - pretty much the entire Frontier.  Simply riding around on your horse and admiring the beautiful landscape - especially at sunrise or sunset - never gets old.

I've been meaning to experience the older MGS games. Shadow Moses is something I see brought up in other threads about video game locales. I can see why, it does look very memorable. Must've been amazing to experience for the first time over 20 years ago.

Red Dead Redemption is also a classic. That games colour pallet especially during the night was hauntingly beautiful. I'll admit its locale is very pretty, albeit eerie at times. The soundtrack was also very well done

Edited by Skullahh
  • Like 1

I love almost every location in Ghost of Tsushima (you know, aside from the corpses). Japanese & Chinese natural landscapes and old architecture are absolutely my shit. I'm sure I took more screenshots in that game than in every other game I've played combined.

#1 place in the game has to be the Omi Monastery, with the huge Buddha statue in the middle of a pond. I was so happy the moment I found this place. 

drl356jewnh61.jpg (can't access my screenshots right now, so here's one from reddit)

• Like 1

Rabanastre is FF12- I like the design and history of Ivalice, plus the music in Low town is pretty cool

Sunleth Waterscape in FF13- Best music. beautiful location

Kijara falls in Tales of Xillia- These were so scenic and pretty

Besaid in FFX/X-2- One of video games best beach imo

Twilight town, traverse town and destiny island in Kingdom Hearts- I loved these locations for their magical yet surreal and calm atmosphere plus nice bgm.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played too many games in my life to recall my absolute favorites, but here's what comes to mind:

• The Final World and Scala Ad Caelum from Kingdom Hearts 3  
  • Mausoleum/Gehenna from The Binding of Isaac (Repentance/Antibirth)
  • Rapture from BioShock
  • Every environment in a Naughty Dog game lol

Seriously though, I think it's difficult to knock it out of the park with locations/environments since it's only natural most are same-y. Naughty Dog wasn't imagining abstract or mystical places with the Uncharted or Last of Us games but man, did they make ordinary landscapes look extraordinary. (I take back what I said about Uncharted -- Shambala in the second game was not an ordinary place ?)