Which is better, Playstation trophies or Xbox achievements?

MyLordD

I don't know about achievements, because I don't have one. But the plat at the end of the trophy rainbow is a great concept that really helps trophies.

This man gets it. I feel that trophies have a better presentation but Achievements are more logical. 

"Logical"? I don't understand what you mean (literally - no a-hole remark intended).

I say both are great if it wasnt for acheivments there would be no trophys 

True, but primacy doesn't equate to equality. Without the telegraph, there would be no smartphone. Without apes, there would be no humans. Evolution matters.

• Like 1

As an owner of both Sony (PS3/4) and M$ (360) consoles, there is really no difference for me, I mean they're the same thing lol. The only reason I'd go for Trophies though is that they're a bit better to keep track of in my opinion, as I prefer Sony's layout of your accomplishments (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat) then numeric gamer-score. 

For me, trophies are better, and I think Sony is a better company in general. I believe that the PS has always been a better console, and the games of better quality. Xbox consoles always felt second hand to me, I don't know why.. like the generic alternative or something. Sounds bias, but I used to play my 360 a lot, though there was never much attachment.

I never really got into achievements tho I played most with my Xbox 360 in last generation. I just never felt like I need to get them, but when I bought PS3 my world flipped upside down. I don't know why but getting trophies is sometimes so much fun. Especially when the Platinum trophy pops, feels good man.

About the question: Trophies :).

Look, I'd never had a Xbox console but I think that you can purchase digital stuff with "points" and I've seen that Xbox achievements give you "points", so i thought you could buy stuff after getting enough points through achievements. :D

So, what are/were those points? it's something like Sony rewards?

Playstation Trophies hands down, though the XBOX ONE has a nifty feature which helps keep track of cumulative Achievements such as a kill count, say you need to get 100 headshots and you have 73 of them, it will show that achievement being 73% out 100% on the progress bar, which think sony should add something similar ASAP!!!

I don't know about achievements, because I don't have one. But the plat at the end of the trophy rainbow is a great concept that really helps trophies.

"Logical"? I don't understand what you mean (literally - no a-hole remark intended).

The trophies system is base round a rpg leveling system but instead of numbers or exp, (which is basically numbers) we use trophies. How can you explain to someone "I'm level 26 because I got 5533 bronze, 2433 silver, 123 gold and 74 platinum(s) trophies" ? It wouldn't make sense to the person that you're trying to explain to. If numbers were used, it would be easier for a person to grasp. That's why Achievements are more logical. 

Presentation wise, Achievements sucks! Numbers are great and a high number is awesome to have. But it gets boring after a while and plus long number gamer-scores look ugly compare to a set of trophies. 

The trophies system is base round a rpg leveling system but instead of numbers or exp, (which is basically numbers) we use trophies. How can you explain to someone "I'm level 26 because I got 5533 bronze, 2433 silver, 123 gold and 74 platinum(s) trophies" ? It wouldn't make sense to the person that you're trying to explain to. If numbers were used, it would be easier for a person to grasp. That's why Achievements are more logical. 

Presentation wise, Achievements sucks! Numbers are great and a high number is awesome to have. But it gets boring after a while and plus long number gamer-scores look ugly compare to a set of trophies. 

Numbers are used. each Bronze = 15 pts, each Silver = 30, Gold = 90, and plat = 180.

So knowing that, you could figure out your gamerscore based on the number of each kind of trophy you have. For example, my gamerscore is 46,785. (And yeah I jacked that from my trophy card.) The trophies just break that gamerscore down easily, and make it more fun than just getting a simple achievement.

Numbers are used. each Bronze = 15 pts, each Silver = 30, Gold = 90, and plat = 180.

So knowing that, you could figure out your gamerscore based on the number of each kind of trophy you have. For example, my gamerscore is 46,785. (And yeah I jacked that from my trophy card.) The trophies just break that gamerscore down easily, and make it more fun than just getting a simple achievement.

I think, you must minus the :platinum: , because when you :platinum:  a game you have in theory 1180G. You get the :platinum: , in theory, when you reached the 1000G ( = unlocked all other achievements). Which means, for your 16x :platinum: /180points = 2880. => Your GS would be 43905. But at first we must check IF PS-games actually are worth 1000G.

On the other hand... we know that a game must be worth ~1200points or more, to have a  :platinum:  ... Also we have SoundShapes with 2880points.

We also know, that XBLA-games (XBox Live Arcade. That games that have no  :platinum: on PS) MUST be worth EXACTLY 200G .... or 400G nowadays IIRC.

Child of Light on PS is worth 315points.

So I guess we cant compare it this way.

But also we should question, why someone should ask why someone other is level 31 (or 26 if you want)... I also could ask why someone with 500 games just has 20000GS, which is actually pretty low. Even I had around 43000 and I wasnt in Achievements on XBox, because it was somehow meh for me... Also the GS says absolutly nothing about you. When you are not going into detail you know nothing. Achievementwhore or Completionist? Do they actually even care for achievements?

But Trophies are awesome. Like them. Got my first :platinum:  and was like ...

631270_o.gif

^_^

• Like 1

I think, you must minus the :platinum: , because when you :platinum:  a game you have in theory 1180G. You get the :platinum: , in theory, when you reached the 1000G ( = unlocked all other achievements). Which means, for your 16x :platinum: /180points = 2880. => Your GS would be 43905. But at first we must check IF PS-games actually are worth 1000G.

On the other hand... we know that a game must be worth ~1200points or more, to have a  :platinum:  ... Also we have SoundShapes with 2880points.

We also know, that XBLA-games (XBox Live Arcade. That games that have no  :platinum: on PS) MUST be worth EXACTLY 200G .... or 400G nowadays IIRC.

Child of Light on PS is worth 315points.

So I guess we cant compare it this way.

But also we should question, why someone should ask why someone other is level 31 (or 26 if you want)... I also could ask why someone with 500 games just has 20000GS, which is actually pretty low. Even I had around 43000 and I wasnt in Achievements on XBox, because it was somehow meh for me... Also the GS says absolutly nothing about you. When you are not going into detail you know nothing. Achievementwhore or Completionist? Do they actually even care for achievements?

But Trophies are awesome. Like them. Got my first :platinum:  and was like ...

631270_o.gif

^_^

If you like Sony that's ok but fanboying is just stupid. 

If you like Sony that's ok but fanboying is just stupid. 

Fanboying? Ah yes, I have a PS3 since a year and bit and before I had an XBox360, GameCube, every Gameboy until 2DS and PC ... YES, my first Sony-console *-* I am OBVIOUSLY a Sony-Fanboy... *rolleyes* ... Are you fucking kidding me?

Edit: I see you highlighted my sentence

"Also the GS says absolutly nothing about you. When you are not going into detail you know nothing. Achievementwhore or Completionist? Do they actually even care for achievements?"

No really. I had around 43.000GS ... tell me a story about it. What have I played and how intense? How many games I played to 1000G?

See? You cant answer it, right? ... THAT was my question.

Edited by Neputyunu

Fanboying? Ah yes, I have a PS3 since a year and bit and before I had an XBox360, GameCube, every Gameboy until 2DS and PC ... YES, my first Sony-console *-* I am OBVIOUSLY a Sony-Fanboy... *rolleyes* ... Are you fucking kidding me?

Bringing up your history of console history won't change what you just did.

You first said "GS says nothing about you", have you seen Xbox gamer-cards? They tell the same story that PSN gamer cards do. Next you said "do they even care about achievements"? Of course people do, if not MS would achievements. 

Also "fanobying" and "fanboy" are to different things. Fanboys are people who support a side for no logical reason over the opposing competition and an act of fanboying is when a person defends something and abuses the opposite side without a valid reason.  What you did was fanboying, no one called or said you was a fanboy of anything. 

The question "do they even care about achievements?" was meant like...

I see a profil with ... let us say 10.000GS

You dont see how many games someone has completed or whatever. You just see 10.000 points. You dont know how they got summarized.

*  Achievementwhore? (People who want to increase their GS or Trophycount ASAP.)

*  Completionist? (People who complete nearly everything)

*  Do they even care? (Maybe they played 200 games and this are just storyrelated-achievements.)

We know nothing, except the total score.

When you go to your friendlist on the PS, you see the level. Someone who is, let us say, Level40+ does obviously care in some way about trophies.

Next, on PS you can get a short overview... last obtained trophies, numbers of  :platinum:  :gold:  :silver:  :bronze: ...

Was this now really THAAAT hard to understand?

Yes it was, obviously. Lets tell someone they are fanboying, just because I dont understand how someone meant something ... yeah, why not... seems legit *facepalm*

Edit: typing

Edit2: And one  :platinum: mean, I have a game completed (1.000GS), right? So, even without Trophycards or whatever, you have some information without the need to dig around.

Edited by Neputyunu

The question "do they even care about achievements?" was meant like...

I see a profil with ... let us say 10.000GS

You dont see how many games someone has completed or whatever. You just see 10.000 points. You dont know how they got summarized.

*  Achievementwhore? (People who want to increase their GS or Trophycount ASAP.)

*  Completionist? (People who complete nearly everything)

*  Do they even care? (Maybe they played 200 games and this are just storyrelated-achievements.)

We know nothing, except the total score.

So how would you know if the person completed the maximum GS they can get in all their games if you can't see any information expect for the score? Your question "Do they even care about achievements" is based on guessing and you yourself just explained it.  

Also you can see the last five games they played, it may not be in depth like trophies but it's any indication of something.

Edited by ZeroXOF

I think trophies are simpler and cooler to see and compare, also the :platinum: trophy is a genius feature.

On the other hand... we know that a game must be worth ~1200points or more, to have a :platinum: ...

I think a game need just 1140 points to own a plat, just saying :)

everyboby gets points, they only give trophies to winners

You win! Edited by pese-97