Which is better, Playstation trophies or Xbox achievements?

MyLordD

There is only one time where I feel there is an absolute difference: when Xbox 360 achievements carry 0 Gamerscore; on the Playstation, the same activity would net you at least a Bronze trophy, adding to your percentage, while on the Xbox, all it does is lead toward completion of that title.

So in the case of 1 > 0, I'd go with the Playstation Trophies. In every other incident (99.9% of the time), they're one in the same.

Trophies, because it makes me feel like I won the trophies that I could never win in HS sports!

jk, I don't really care. There really isn't much of a difference. Though I wasn't joking about the never winning in sports thing... :P

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

If there is one thing you have to hate about gamerscore and i wish it was not like this. You need the dlc to have the game "perfected" but for PS3 just the base game gives you the plat

Yeah, that is one thing I dislike about about achievements, luckily the 2 retail games I have at 1000/1000 (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen & BulletWitch) have no DLC achievements, another thing is that some achievements are actually worth 0G, yet all trophies have a value to them.

In the end though, I'd say it's even, since both reward systems have their faults.

Yeah, that is one thing I dislike about about achievements, luckily the 2 retail games I have at 1000/1000 (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen & BulletWitch) have no DLC achievements, another thing is that some achievements are actually worth 0G, yet all trophies have a value to them.

In the end though, I'd say it's even, since both reward systems have their faults.

I got Saints row 3 perfected a month after it came out but after the Dlc came out, But i got it free on PS+ i was able to plat it 

This is a loaded question on a Playstation forum xP

I prefer trophies. I like that you get something for getting all of the other trophies, and I like the level system way more than just throwing all your points into a pile. Someone with a high trophy level generally has a high completion rate, but someone with a high gamerscore can easily mean they've played a lot of games and just got the easy achievements. There's no real way to tell. And now that there's stupid stuff like getting achievements for watching TV and now that there's timed achievements, gamerscores mean even less too.

Edited by ExHaseo

I agree that trophies are better because they are easier to compare against other gamers. I like being able to see the quality of someone's trophies because it better indicates how they game.

Do they finish the games they start? (ie., high psn level but very few platinum trophies) Or do they play easy games just to improve their psn level and /or greatly increase their trophy count? (Trine 2, Terminator Salvation, and now Sound Shapes?!)

• Like 1

Never had an xbox so not easy to comment - from what I know though, the plat can sometimes push people to finishing a game completely whereas points apparently don't (although I know quite a few here that would need 100% no matter what)

Platinums are also better for bragging rights I guess - easier to say I got :plat: for this game, rather than I got x amount of points

Although I guess this really only answers if platinums are better than gamerscore ?

end of the day, who can really say what is best, well except the solution that rocks your boat the most

Trophies!

- Much easier to compare and track (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat vs. confusingly valued numbers)!

- Completion is noted and rewarded (with platinum trophies)!

- Trophy unlock popups include a picture of the trophy!

- Until recently, I seriously thought "gamer score" and "Microsoft Points" were the same thing and did the same thing!

- Trophies are for games, NOT for watching TV/Netflix!

- (IMHO) A better community :)

Edited by pilotfish5296
  • Like 2

I prefer trophies as they have much more depth than achievements on a number of different things.

The amount of gamerscore someone has could mean anything; 50k gamerscore could be 10000 of the easiest achievements or 50 games fully completed. There's no way to tell at a glance which is the case. With trophies I can see immediately if someone is going through the effort to complete games or not. If the last achievement you have to unlock can take days of playtime yet only awards 1 gamerscore, most people will agree that it's not really worth the time for such little gain. The platinum trophy is always the biggest reward, though, whereas achievements can be worth any number from 0 to 500 gamerscore.

I'm not sure if the timestamps can be easily manipulated or not for either, but seeing the precise minute you unlocked a trophy is much more interesting than the day that achievements give you - assuming you are online when one unlocks.

I also feel the Xbox One has brought down achievements quite a bit. Microsoft seem to be aware that achievements can be used as a selling point, so now there's all this confusing stuff being added like timed challenges and achievements for watching TV. It's all just clutter that takes away from the simplicity achievements originally had.

The only thing I prefer about achievements is how they're presented on the Xbox 360. Admittedly there is more information to get across with trophies, but a grid could still work for them and would be much more convenient to navigate than the scrolling system it has now.

Edited by Shadiochao

Bought my Xbox360 after graduating from High School (about 6 years ago) and started going for achievements about 5 years ago. Also bought a PS3 in 2010 but used it primarily as a BluRay player and my Final Fantasy machine. Rarely played any games on it and therefore no intent to go for trophies.

Last year I lost interest in collecting achievements (my gamerscore was about 95.000 at that time) but when I bought my Ps4 in November and a Ps3 about 3 weeks later I somehow started to like collecting Trophies and been playing through some of the games I already finished on Xbox to get the trophies. 

Therefore, I´d say Trophies because after 6 years with Microsoft I´m back on the Sony train for this gen and love collecting Trophies. 

• Like 1

Well it's "almost" the same thing. I know this is a PSN website and some people might be bias. However, if your gonna look at the comparison then you'll clearly see that trophies have an edge over Xbox. Meaning that there are different types of trophies which shows how many games played and completed. While Xbox only uses numbers and i would agree with blue flare that they should have an ultimate achievement award which they don't and makes it kinda boring to play for the achievements.

I still love my (mod) Xbox. I got so many reasons to love it and It also got an edge over the PS3 in certain areas but i don't play for the achievements on it. 

I'm not being bias but the PSN Profile ID are cool and a lot of people flaunt their ID like a badges, especially when they got a lot of platinum trophies.

Majority rules.  Xbox need to update their Achievements awards.

I've had my Xbox 360 for 7 years now. 

Achievements were almost never a concern. The only times I have ever prioritized achievements was for Halo, Gears of War, and Oblivion. Other than those games, I never cared. The only reason I wanted to get as many achievements as possible for those games was because I was and am such a huge fan of them. Then again, I was pretty young and mostly played games online. I have changed a lot. But the fact remains that achievements were always an afterthought. 

Fast forward to me trading some Dreamcast games for the entire AC franchise on the PS3, and I'm getting my first platinum on ACII. Then making a new account and doing it again. The trophy ranking system, the percentages, all of it was very alluring and now I waste my time trying to get as close to 100% as I can in every PS game I own. Not sure, why, I just.. want to. 

I prefer trophies for this reason, and this is coming from someone who has had a fair share of experience with both and is unbiased. Trophies are a better representation of your accomplishments and, in my opinion, much more rewarding to obtain. But, Xbox did have achievements first, Sony copying them and still having early titles lacking trophy support. Achievements also don't take an age to load. There are arguments for both and like everything else, it's just a matter of preference  ^_^

Edited by Kagatoki

I like having the Platinum in there, means more than S Rank, but I do slightly prefer the way they are integrated into the system on XBox. Also, I like the way you can hit a button on the xbox when you get a trophy to see what it was for.

0 point acheivements on Xbox fucking suck, the more rigid Bronze/ Silver / Gold / Juicy juicy Plat is a nicer way to go!