SimCity Offline Mode is Officially Confirmed

Aranea Highwind

SimCity Offline Mode has been officially confirmed by Maxis.

A post on the Maxis blog by general manager Patrick Buechner reveals that the forthcoming Update 10 will be available as a free download and grant access to all content you've previously downloaded.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/simcity-offline-mode-is-officially-confirmed?abthid=52d3f3566b5745fb53000006

I hear this game was terrible for always requiring to be online.

Edited by Helena Harper

What makes them put it in now?

Take it for what it's worth, but back at release they made it pretty clear that incorporating an offline mode like this would take some major changes to the core of the game.  Either they just sat on it all this time, or were working on it this whole time (or a lot of it)...

I'm mixed on this news.  It is good that there is an offline mode coming soon.  However, waiting 10 months after its initial release and the public backlash over the always online connection killed any chance of generating a new SimCity in the future and its popularity.  If EA and Maxis delayed releasing SimCity for a few months to resolve some the bugs and included an offline mode, it results and reception might be different.   

Well the online was just a useless feature added as a mean of drm.

It obviously failed because as usual some shithead underestimated the hardware required for such a thing (or didn't care and wanted to cut on the costs).

They don't betatest shit anymore.

They don't do load testing for the multiplayer components.

They sell you fullprice half the game and for a lot of money what was left out in small bits and pieces.

What's the next thing to cut, the game itself?

They'll just give us an art book and a rule book and ask us to use our fantasy to fill the gaps?

Sorry for the rant. I really wanted to play this SimCity, but the initial fiasco ruined my mood.

Edited by DocDoomII

Should of been offline from the start. Look what happened with the Diablo 3 always online for the PC, it had an hefty drop off. Sure some fans went consoling on the PS3 for it but the majority of it said FU and not even consider products. Same thing happened to SimCity but they had a much more nasty drop off. Lesson of the day kids, if your game in the franchise had an offline mode keep it there for the old timers you'll keep fans.