License Challenge?

Megaman80

12 hours ago, Megaman80 said:

Would you say that S-7 is harder then S-10, and much harder then the rest of the bunch as well?

S-7 took maybe 45 mins, S-10 took me 3 hours and 10 mins. And it's the only one I needed full assist for. All the other I changed while driving, had low or no assist. S-3(I think) is the most fun for me. 

4 hours ago, Andre3K1823 said:

S-7 took maybe 45 mins, S-10 took me 3 hours and 10 mins. And it's the only one I needed full assist for. All the other I changed while driving, had low or no assist. S-3(I think) is the most fun for me. 

Urk, then i have something to not look forward to, i will start working for the licences after grinding out the 300k im missing for the mercedes legendary car thats on right now.

59 minutes ago, Megaman80 said:

Urk, then i have something to not look forward to, i will start working for the licences after grinding out the 300k im missing for the mercedes legendary car thats on right now.

S-7 will depend if you have played any F1 games

Where as S-10 is not that bad if you lift and coast it here and there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

S-7 will depend if you have played any F1 games

Where as S-10 is not that bad if you lift and coast it here and there.

Well, i already beat S-7 yesterday, and i never played andy F1 games. I hane 4 og 10 golds atm. Recently got S2. I would say S8 is the easiest so far

On 3/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, Megaman80 said:

It may not take you as long to do S-10 as me. I took me 3 hours to do S-4 as well. And I love that track and car. I was getting messed up at the end. I beat my record 4 times on S-3 yesterday. I'm in the 58 second range

On 3/19/2022 at 2:24 PM, Megaman80 said:

Well, i already beat S-7 yesterday, and i never played andy F1 games. I hane 4 og 10 golds atm. Recently got S2. I would say S8 is the easiest so far

I think you'd do better if you haven't played an F1 game. The physics aren't really the same. I feel the same with the rally racing. I've always thought the rally in Gran Turismo was bad, but that was way before I started playing DiRT and WRC games. But my love for rally started with Sega Rally Championship 1995.

29 minutes ago, Sicho said:

My journey through my first GT continues. Got all Gold on IB, now on to IA.

I'm worried that I will soon encounter a progress block that I'll be unprepared for. We will see how it goes :D

Mine was IA-10. I’d say that was the first one that took me a lot of attempts. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sicho said:

My journey through my first GT continues. Got all Gold on IB, now on to IA.

I'm worried that I will soon encounter a progress block that I'll be unprepared for. We will see how it goes :D

Good luck with IA. The IA with the fast nissan race car took me 45min, and was one of the first that took many retries, after that is was IA-10 which was challenging.

when i started with S, they all took from 15min to 3 hours, and now im down to the very last one. Only tried it once, will try sometime this week, if i get it i will be very happy. Thursday is my birthday, so that would be perfect.

19 hours ago, Andre3K1823 said:

It may not take you as long to do S-10 as me. I took me 3 hours to do S-4 as well. And I love that track and car. I was getting messed up at the end. I beat my record 4 times on S-3 yesterday. I'm in the 58 second range

I think you'd do better if you haven't played an F1 game. The physics aren't really the same. I feel the same with the rally racing. I've always thought the rally in Gran Turismo was bad, but that was way before I started playing DiRT and WRC games. But my love for rally started with Sega Rally Championship 1995.

The toyota one, that was S-4 i guess, took me maybe 1-2 hours. But i went from like 2.00.6 to 1.59.6 and still safed it a bit in the last turn. I would easily say F1 was hardest then toyota in the city out of the 9 first ones.

the last one will be a test of patience, especially since its the final one…

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Megaman80 said:

Good luck with IA. The IA with the fast nissan race car took me 45min, and was one of the first that took many retries, after that is was IA-10 which was challenging.

when i started with S, they all took from 15min to 3 hours, and now im down to the very last one. Only tried it once, will try sometime this week, if i get it i will be very happy. Thursday is my birthday, so that would be perfect.

The toyota one, that was S-4 i guess, took me maybe 1-2 hours. But i went from like 2.00.6 to 1.59.6 and still safed it a bit in the last turn. I would easily say F1 was hardest then toyota in the city out of the 9 first ones.

the last one will be a test of patience, especially since its the final one…

You will be fine the last one is pretty easy as it's very generous on the gold time, My lap was pretty scruffy and still beat the time by almost 2 seconds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

You will be fine the last one is pretty easy as it's very generous on the gold time, My lap was pretty scruffy and still beat the time by almost 2 seconds.

Thanks, first time i beat it i had 2.43 since i didnt know the track. 20-30 min later im starting to get familiar with the track and having all assists at max, just did 2.30.250, feeling i have a lot of improvement to to.

there is a turn halfway trough at around 1.17sec which kills me every now and then, or i tend to brake when you dont need to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megaman80 said:

Thanks, first time i beat it i had 2.43 since i didnt know the track. 20-30 min later im starting to get familiar with the track and having all assists at max, just did 2.30.250, feeling i have a lot of improvement to to.

there is a turn halfway trough at around 1.17sec which kills me every now and then, or i tend to brake when you dont need to.

Some places it's better to brake a bit early and coast part way then feather the throttle instead of going full throttle

Game set and match! Yay. S-10 and all other licences finished After not looking forward to this one. I had a great time once i get to know whats going on.

final time: 2.25.135, went a little bit safe at the end, had to adjust the ghost to 1 sec ahead due to overtaking it at 0,5 sec at the first minute for it to distract me!

i would say the 4 most difficult ones for me was in this order:

S-7 F1 car

IA-10 mecedes

S-4 Toyota

S-10 the last one

now off to enjoy the rest of the game!

• Like 3

I'm slowly chipping away at them, I'm up to IA-6. I'm not very good at racing games though. The last one I played would've been Burnout Paradise on the PS3 so it's been over a decade.

Enjoying the challenge of them so far! Will see if I feel the same way after starting S series ?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PeachyJacobs said:

I'm slowly chipping away at them, I'm up to IA-6. I'm not very good at racing games though. The last one I played would've been Burnout Paradise on the PS3 so it's been over a decade.

Enjoying the challenge of them so far! Will see if I feel the same way after starting S series 1f602.png

Dont let the S challenges scare you, do a few of the easier ones like S-1 and S-8 to build some confidence! And focus at one at the time. Just take note of the ones i posted, those will take a little bit of practice.

Edited by Megaman80
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Megaman80 said:

Dont let the S challenges scare you, do a few of the easier ones like S-1 and S-i to build some confidence! And focus at one at the time. Just take note of the ones i posted, those will take a little bit of practice.

Thanks for the tips! I might try and get some more done this afternoon. If I can pull myself away from Elden Ring for long enough that is. Cheers!

Can someone else shareplay these to you? I managed to do some but I dont feel like I'm up to challenge. Thinking about bribing someone for the job ?. 

Seriously that formula one seemed the worst for me. Brings back memories of rage from earlier gt's decades ago.

licenses are really tough for average players (<B), are a good challenge for B/A players, and pretty easy for top players >A. Also playing with a wheel instead of a controller helps a lot imho (also if the dualsense feedback is often useful to understand when you are losing the car). My suggestion is to watch online videos for each challenge to understand breaking points and suggested car settings, this helps a lot. For me (B/A player playing with dualsense), the most difficult were IA10 and S7, followed by S10. as a suggestion, don't use assists when not needed, the will slow you a lot; also, when needed, reduce the traction control to the minimum to avoid car spinning at low speed (I saw lots of video using TC 5 in S7 and S10 but I found way faster to use TC 1 or 2 on that challenges). focus on a challenge per time, learn how that car works, how the weight moves around corners and if you have to just let the car roll or not.

to me completing each of the hardest challenges was tough but really satisfyng!

good luck everyone

Edited by CaptHowdy_84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeyHeyItsSupreme said:

Still struggling with IA-10 and S-10. IA-10 I can get like 0.100 adrift from gold, whereas in S-10 I'm always like 1/2 seconds off. I manage to keep with the Porsche 917K for almost half of the lap and suddently he goes awayyy

are you playing IA10 with Traction control? if yes, it is doable without it and you might gain more than 0.1s.

on S10, Puohon (the double left) and Blanchimont (the fast left before last chicane) are the keys to have a good time lap. Stick to the dry line, go gentle on the throttle and if using the dualsense feel the grip of the car with the feedback. I used traction control to 2. you can be easily ahead of the ghost car after Les Combes chicane; in general gold lap time is pretty generous on S10, there's no room for line mistake due to wet surface but you can afford 1 or 2 corners to be taken at a safe speed and still getting gold.

• Like 1

I would say in S-10 the little left kink just before Blanchimont is really tricky because the car seems to randomly oversteer there. So just slow down a little there. You'll need to slow down for Blanchimont anyway, so you won't lose too much time. I got gold with 2 seconds to spare, so yeah they give you plenty of leniency.

I personally struggled more with IA-10, S-4 and even S-1 (yeah I know) than I have with S-7 and S-10.  I even found a few earlier ones to be pretty challenging.  S-7 was done semi-drunk and S-10 half-asleep.  My point is don't get discouraged if you have hard times on something that isn't S-7 or S-10.  It doesn't mean they'll be out of reach.

Really do focus on one challenge at a time, you'll learn its corners well and know which ones to tackle more aggressively and which ones to be careful on.  I feel like I messed up S-10 really bad by being too careful but I still managed to get gold - be aggressive enough where you have to be, and overly cautious where needed.  All assists were also on for that one.

Also, playing with those assists whenever I was struggling with a test made a huge difference, and so was putting the controller sensitivity thingy to 7.

All that being said, it's challenging but doable with enough practice even if you're an average person without a wheel.

IA-8 is doing me in, man!

Somehow I was able to get exactly 23.6 at some point, Gold is 23.4. But I'm absolutely unable to shave off those 0.2. In fact, in 29 out of 30 tries I don't even come close to those magical 23.6 I somehow got, most of the time I end up with a time of more than 24 seconds.

What's annoying about all this for me, as I am a noob when it comes to racing games, is that the game calls this a license test, however, there is no teacher around to actually teach you. By that, I mean not explaining what you have to do like they do in the menu of a license challenge, but analyzing how you drove and telling you what you did wrong! That would be so helpful.

In this world full of AIs and machine learning and whatnot, they somehow cannot provide a system that analyzes your run and tells you "in this sector, you put on the brakes too early" or "your angle in this corner was too low" or stuff Iike that. Because of that, I'm mostly guessing what I should do differently and I just end up chasing my own ghost, not really understanding why it was faster than I am now. It's a bit frustrating when you don't understand what you do wrong or how you could improve.

And if I'm struggling now to get gold on IA-8, I'm pretty confident that even trying the S license will be a colossal waste of time :/

Edited by Sicho

33 minutes ago, Sicho said:

IA-8 is doing me in, man!

Somehow I was able to get exactly 23.6 at some point, Gold is 23.4. But I'm absolutely unable to shave off those 0.2. In fact, in 29 out of 30 tries I don't even come close to those magical 23.6 I somehow got, most of the time I end up with a time of more than 24 seconds.

What's annoying about all this for me, as I am a noob when it comes to racing games, is that the game calls this a license test, however, there is no teacher around to actually teach you. By that, I mean not explaining what you have to do like they do in the menu of a license challenge, but analyzing how you drove and telling you what you did wrong! That would be so helpful.

In this world full of AIs and machine learning and whatnot, they somehow cannot provide a system that analyzes your run and tells you "in this sector, you put on the brakes too early" or "your angle in this corner was too low" or stuff Iike that. Because of that, I'm mostly guessing what I should do differently and I just end up chasing my own ghost, not really understanding why it was faster than I am now. It's a bit frustrating when you don't understand what you do wrong or how you could improve.

And if I'm struggling now to get gold on IA-8, I'm pretty confident that even trying the S license will be a colossal waste of time :/

If you need 0.2 more then set the ghost to 0.3, You will also find if you are doing so many tried and getting frustrated etc it's best to leave it and come back tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

it's best to leave it and come back tomorrow.

I'm doing that for three days now ?

2 minutes ago, Sicho said:

I'm doing that for three days now 1f602.png

literally the second try after this post, I got the gold ?

ranting on forums ALWAYS WORKS!!! ?

• Like 1

aaaaand I just got gold on IA-10 after 5 tries or so :D

Funny how I had no real problems with one of the challenges most people seem to find quite difficult while I almost pulled out all my hair on a challenge other people didn't seem to have any problems with ?

These challenges are like Souls bosses - everyone has a different one that they find frustrating :D 

but hey, my confidence is back! Onto License S!

• Like 1