PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4!

merciful84

The system can handle it. Just depends on if its allowed. Seeing as theyve just added more classics recently its gotta be an option. I still have lots of old rpgs ill never get rid of but theyre not on yhe store so i hope for ability to read off disc but im not crossing my fingers

Of course it's true, It's nothing the PS3 can't already do, i hoped it was for physical PS2 games because most the PS2 games i want to play on PS3/PS4 aren't on the PlayStation Store. Like Yakuza 1/2 & Way of the Samurai 1/2.

I couldn't find in the article where it specified if it was for downloads only. Where did it say that?

I really hope this means it is for ALL PS1 and PS2 games and not just the consumers favourites...

While I do want to play my Spyro and my Crach I also want to play Croc, Legend of Spyro series, Spyro: Heroes Tale, Simpsons Hit and Run, Dogs Island, Dogs Life and some other games I used to play in my younger days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems like we may get backwards compatibility with our PS4 systems after all...

Sony stated at the reveal of the PlayStation 4 that the company’s goal was to have the entirety of the PlayStation catalog playable on the system at some point, despite confirming the system would have no native backwards compatibility at launch. The company’s game streaming service, PlayStation Now, was initially believed to be the answer to this, but it seems that perhaps Sony will soon be using native backwards compatibility to allow players to play older titles, as it appears that backwards compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games could be on its way to the PlayStation 4.

Eurogamer is reporting that a Sony source currently working within the company’s PlayStation department has confirmed that PlayStation Now, is currently only being scheduled to stream PlayStation 3 games, while PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles are being set to run through local emulation on the PlayStation 4, but could potentially benefit from HD enhancements.

Eurogamer’s source claims that the PlayStation 4 will use emulation similar to that the PS3 uses in order to play downloadable classic games in order to open up the backlog of the first two PlayStation consoles. The source also says that Sony is working to fix the blurred upscaling that some PS2 and PS1 games suffered from when running on the PS3.

The source didn’t confirm when PS4 players could expect to see such a feature on the console, but if this comes to fruition, it could completely eradicate the complaints that consumers have had regarding not being able to play old PlayStation games on the otherwise prosperous system.

Read more: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/03/sony-source-says-playstation-4-will-receive-backwards-compatibility/#ixzz2x5nknk3I

Source: Gamer Headlines & Eurogamer

It still looks like PlayStation Now will be used for PS3 games but the PS4 might be able to play PlayStation and PS2 games in the future. 

Personally I think this is good news but it really doesn't matter either way to me. If I want to play my older games I'll play them on my older systems which are hooked up to my CRT televisions where I think they look best anyways. I know a lot of people who are upset about the lack of backwards compatibility with new systems but it seems like very few actually use the backwards compatibility, they just want the option to never use it I guess. Either way, lets hope this is true for those who actually do want to use these features.

Parker

It seems like we may get backwards compatibility with our PS4 systems after all...

Source: Gamer Headlines & Eurogamer

It still looks like PlayStation Now will be used for PS3 games but the PS4 might be able to play PlayStation and PS2 games in the future. 

Personally I think this is good news but it really doesn't matter either way to me. If I want to play my older games I'll play them on my older systems which are hooked up to my CRT televisions where I think they look best anyways

but wouldnt it be awesome to play everything in one console? making less clutter in your room, making more room for games games games!

• Like 1

but wouldnt it be awesome to play everything in one console? making less clutter in your room, making more room for games games games!

Well, I've been "buying" (actually just hauling away, for free) Sony Trinitron CRT tv's for my under construction game room because the games play better on the original system. I have a launch 60gb PS3 and the PS2 BC works but it doesn't play nearly as well as actually playing the game on a PS2. Of course there are some games that play just fine but you can really tell the difference with others. 

With the PS4 being so much more powerful it may be able to emulate the PS2 perfectly fine but then there are games like Gran Turismo 3 and 4 that need analog buttons to really play well and the PS4 only has analog buttons. 

I do recall a rumor where Sony had a patent to add trophies to PS and PS2 games so maybe they'll be implementing it with this...  :hmm:

Parker

Well, I've been "buying" (actually just hauling away, for free) Sony Trinitron CRT tv's for my under construction game room because the games play better on the original system. I have a launch 60gb PS3 and the PS2 BC works but it doesn't play nearly as well as actually playing the game on a PS2. Of course there are some games that play just fine but you can really tell the difference with others. 

With the PS4 being so much more powerful it may be able to emulate the PS2 perfectly fine but then there are games like Gran Turismo 3 and 4 that need analog buttons to really play well and the PS4 only has analog buttons. 

I do recall a rumor where Sony had a patent to add trophies to PS and PS2 games so maybe they'll be implementing it with this...  :hmm:

Parker

Adding trophies to PS1 and PS2 games, and also the early PS3 games even, would be a smart business move as I think a lot of people would buy more of the older games as a result. Granted, trophies, or the lack of, shouldn't be the reason a person doesn't go back and replay a great game they enjoyed but the extra incentive of trophies would surely send more money Sony's way.

Adding trophies to PS1 and PS2 games, and also the early PS3 games even, would be a smart business move as I think a lot of people would buy more of the older games as a result. Granted, trophies, or the lack of, shouldn't be the reason a person doesn't go back and replay a great game they enjoyed but the extra incentive of trophies would surely send more money Sony's way.

Even if they did Sony wouldn't get any more money since you'd have to buy all those games used and Sony wouldn't benefit from that. It would, potentially, sell more PS4 systems though which is where they'd make the extra money. 

Parker

I created a topic about this months ago:

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/12505-ps1ps2-games-heading-to-playstation-4/#entry254587

Even if they did Sony wouldn't get any more money since you'd have to buy all those games used and Sony wouldn't benefit from that. It would, potentially, sell more PS4 systems though which is where they'd make the extra money. 

Parker

Not if they also offer those same titles for digital distribution